I would typically be retrieving or inputting various data on spreadsheets. Before construction started the design engineers and site foremen would visit the site to see if there would be any complications with the proposed gas pipe placement, and if there were any spots we were unsure of we would make note of them and get them surveyed to make sure we had enough room. Site visits were frequent, especially when construction started; seeing the progress of the projects firsthand helped with the ongoing cost estimates of the projects.
I learned a lot about how difficult it is to obtain the land rights to place gas pipe for our projects, and I also learned a lot about SynerGEE Gas modelling software that helped in the design of the projects to make sure everything would still function properly after old pipe has been replaced.
My co-workers were all really great, they had very diverse personalities, none of which I would say were bad. I got along with them all very well and they were more than willing to help if I ever had any questions about how to do something. My supervisors as well were very easy to talk to and just as willing to help me when they had time in their schedules as they typically were in a lot of meetings.
The hardest part of the job for me personally, was balancing all the different projects I was working on. Landowners would refuse granting right-of-way for the pipe that was going to heat their home, so we would have to redesign the project with a new pipe alignment on a different strip of land, on a (hopefully) more willing landowner's property. I had six full projects on the go that I was having design, and that was between the smaller, urgent tasks that my supervisor(s) would have me do,
Conversely, I feel that the workload kept things interesting because I had a variation of things to do. So I would probably say that the hardest part was also the most enjoyable part.