ATCO Electric

ATCO Electric Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Tight knit group of very caring people
Draftsman (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
The group I worked at was composed of some of the kindest people. They care about you and want to help. They listened to my concerns and took my suggestions seriously even though I was just a student.
Loved working for ATCO Electric but...
Executive Assistant, Land Access Department (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2015
Pros: Great work culture and environment peer-to-peer and inter departmental.
Cons: Poor Top-Down management and lack of 360 feedback.
The department and interdepartmental staff I worked with were the some of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of supporting in my career. The ATCO Group culture of community service brought balance – more... and enhanced the the work experience. Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of working under a director (who no longer works for ATCO Electric Ltd.) who had poor executive management and delegation skills. He was good at getting work done at a front-line level but relied heavily on his direct reports to do the director-level reporting and responsibilities. His lack of foresight and poor follow-up for championing staff brought down the department. As an experienced Executive Assistant I offered to help in many ways and he did not utilize me to my full potential then dismissed me at the first opportunity. – less
Sneaky Company, Sneaky Lay-offs
Admin Clerk III (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: back breaking workload
The job was great until about a year ago they decided to lay workers off and overload the remaining workers. My job was very manageable until they cut many admin staff and gave me 3 peoples workload. Very stressed in the end
Good place to work.
Planner (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 19, 2015
Very focused on hiring young people with degrees and overlooks what people with real world experience has to bring to the table. Overall good company to work for.
No Career Advancement Opportunity and no Job Security
Professional (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2015
Pros: benefits, work life balance
Cons: no advancement, unfriendly environment, poor job security
- work life balance is good
- benefits are good
- very top-down micro managed
- regular changes in leadership resulting in regular firings and layoffs
- no career advancement. They keep you in your role and only hire external supervisors and managers.
- Poor office space
- Not a very friendly environment. Morale is very low and zero team building.
Good Electrical and Utility Company
Supervisor Contract Administration (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: great people, professional and very team oriented environment
Cons: challenges going through change in policies and procedures
Great company - Safe, sustainable and healthy working environment. Dedicated workforce with vision and corporate values. Employees Participating in Community programs.
Very cooperative work atmosphere
Engineer- Construction and Planning (Current Employee), EdmontonNovember 3, 2014
Pros: very balanced work life
Cons: moderate salary
Moderate work load with management playing an important role in equal distribution.
typical corporate environment, management run by incentives
Party Chief (Former Employee), Peace River, ABSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: some nice people
Cons: poorly run, bad work environment
Atco was and is a corporation that is centred on the principles of giving money to managers who drive costs down. This had an adverse affect on the actual employees, I personally witnessed workers taking – more... other employees tools to accomplish their own work. Along with front line workers driving equipment that could be ten years old and managers driving brand new trucks for their daily commutes. To actually acquire something would take months of asking and a pile of paper and once you had gone through the plethora of assistants and managers whom were supposed to verify that it was something needed they then contemplated an outcome and directive. This was always a cost driven decision with money being the final and only driving factor.If the managers kept their division under budget they reaped financial rewards. Being yes man was rewarded and this made for a disgruntled work force. – less
ATCO group of companies are a fairly good place to work.
Clerk III (temporary) (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great supervisor, challenging work
My reason for leaving ATCO was that the temporary assignment was finished. I enjoyed working there and would not have left if the job had not ended.
overall good place to work
Certified Engineering Technologist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2014
busy steady work days, electrical engineering drafting, good place to work
unreasonable hours
construction lead (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2014
Pros: 8 on/ 6 off
Cons: call in number on your company vehicle
Pay for 40 hours a week, expect 60.
Expect you to answer your phone 24 hours a day.
An excellent company
Contract Administrator, (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 8, 2014
Pros: good management
Lot of opportunities for growth.Learned a lot about Supply Chain Management.
nice new office, great team
Distribution Electrical Planning Lead (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABMay 9, 2014
1. 8 hr work day, 5 days a week
2. learned a lot about the distribution side of power system
3. co-workers are nice and helpful
4. work load sometimes can be very hard to handle
Its who you know NOT what you know
Administration (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2014
Use to be an amazing place to work for, now its become so large, its become a huge corporate organization where you are just a number and can be replaced - they make that known you are replaceable.
One of the better ones out there
SCADA Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: micromanagement, out of the blue changes
It is one of the better places to work for. Although management can do changes (ie. reorgs) out of the blue.

People are great. I've learned alot from my experience here. Overloaded with work and not much support can be an issue.

I enjoyed seeing my project from start to finish.
Bad management - Treat people like garbage!
HS department - Transmission (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Cons: treat people like garbage. no work/life balance.
Stay away. No chance of advancement if you are not a engineer. Worked there for over 6 years and within 45 minutes of putting inmy notice, I was walked out the doorlikeI stole a million. Much better companies out there.
Business like atmosphere in and oustide of office.
Field Engineer FCI (Current Employee), Peace River, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: open to days off when you work overtime.
Cons: understanding what happens outside of work.
Typical day would be phoning customers. Arranging dates and times to meet on stie to discuss transformer locations. Be professional and cutious at all times and hold the company image high in the eye of the public.
Too much drama, miserable fellow employees and terrible shifts (10/3)
Remote Stock Keeper (Former Employee), AlbertaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime, all expenses paid on the road
Cons: terrible shifts when everyone else seems to get more time off, drama, backstabbing
A good company, but one manager quit in disgust and his boss was fired which lead to a lot of confusion. I was hired at a given level which one long time employee took great exception to, telling people – more... external to the company I "was paid too much" and "was useless". Coming from someone who spent a number of cold winter days watching the rest of us work from a warm truck while smoking cigarettes therein you probably get the picture. He had a lip on from day one beause he did not hire me nor was I beholden to him. Nor would he take direction from his supervisor. Constant non stop drama and a horrible work schedule of 10 on three off with 12 hour days made for a dismal personal life; the only thing benefitting was my bank account. Other people working for the same outfit were on more decent schedules eg 8 and 6. There are other opportunities out there. I think this was a good company to work for if a decent position is found. I decided to cut my losses and quit with two weeks notice. – less
Great place to begin a career change.
Apprentice Powerline Technician (Current Employee), Lloydminster, AlbertaJuly 31, 2013
Pros: opportunity for advancement, tools, trucks, respect .
Great opportunity and equipment. Friendly journeymen who are interested in assisting an apprentice. Solid management.
N/A
Business Process Consultant (Former Employee), EdmontronMay 17, 2013
There is lot of internal politics. One has to be very careful.

About ATCO Electric

ATCO Electric is a part of the ATCO Group of Companies. Alberta-based ATCO Ltd., with more than 7,700 employees and assets of – Read more