ATCO Electric Employee Reviews in Canada

Loved working for ATCO Electric but...
Executive Assistant, Land Access Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2015
The department and interdepartmental staff I worked with were the some of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of supporting in my career. The ATCO Group culture of community service brought balance and enhanced the the work experience. Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of working under a director (who no longer works for ATCO Electric Ltd.) who had poor executive management and delegation skills. He was good at getting work done at a front-line level but relied heavily on his direct reports to do the director-level reporting and responsibilities. His lack of foresight and poor follow-up for championing staff brought down the department. As an experienced Executive Assistant I offered to help in many ways and he did not utilize me to my full potential then dismissed me at the first opportunity.
Pros
Great work culture and environment peer-to-peer and inter departmental.
Cons
Poor Top-Down management and lack of 360 feedback.
Productive and fun
Construction Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 3, 2015
Easy going Management
No job security
Favourism
Typical day involves completion of your day to day task required for the project.
Great place to work if you are an engineer
Design Lead/Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 17, 2016
Worked in the Field Engineering division as a Design Lead.
Lots of engineers and steady rotation of E.I.T.s and engineering co-op students. Great training ground for them I guess...

Problem is with company culture. They are so concerned with hiring (and impressing) more engineers that the non-engineer staff are not valued. An E.I.T. with 2 weeks on the job was given more credibility than permanent non-engineering staff! And who trains those aspiring engineers?

Good pay and benefits though! Just not a lot of job satisfaction or anywhere for advancement:(

Oh, and the recent downsizing at the end of 2015...Handled very poorly! What kind of utility company can't weather a slowdown in the economy within the first year?! The good news is that Engineering was almost unaffected by the downsizing!!
Good place to learn, Very helpful envorinment
Powerline Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Atco was a great place for an aspiring lineman. There was a great learning culture there, and everyone took the time to help make sure you understood the task at hand. Safety was first and foremost.
Pros
4 day work weeks
Work environment was not all that.
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABDecember 14, 2015
Working here was well below my skill level from my previous job. My co-workers are stuck in their old ways and refuse to learn other ways that would make work life easier. It was way different from what i was use to on a day to day basis and intern had to make a lot of changes to my work behavior to accommodate that of my co-workers.
Pros
hourly rate was good
Cons
Lack of overtime
All about the dollar, no family values
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  LoydminsterMay 11, 2016
It his company is all about the dollar. I've been in the Power line trade for almost 20 years never been treated by any companies this poorly. Massive blitzkreg style layoffs with NO notice in November of 2015 to save the company moeny. Fast forward to 2016 existing staff are being overworked, expected to pick up the slack of the 400 employees fired due to lack of work, as well they are expected to volunteer to go on road and work out of their areas that they live. I was asked to go almost weekly to work on road because it was a expenditure they could capitalize and get moeny back from the regulator. Atco hired contractors the week after the downsizing, how unethical.

Now it's all about increasing the profits in 2016, used the slide in oil prices as a excuse to get rid of productive employees and didn't touch management, atco has so many layers it's hard to keep track. When I worked there I had 3 layers of management for approx 20 tradesman what a joke.
Pros
None worth mentioning
Cons
Terrible management and communication bordering on incompetentance
Clerk II- Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABMarch 29, 2016
nice relaxed pace during regular hours
consistent hours
adequate pay
great atmosphere
easy going management
many different areas of work
Pros
free coffee
Cons
Great well paced and personal company
Operator / Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Great experience
Good wage
Great safety
Lots of training
Good benefits

lack of ability and positions to become full time, and was given a zero time notice lay off.
Learning opportunity!
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2016
People are fun to work with and help you to learn and grow.
Management knows their role and make sure the job gets done at the right time.
good company to work for
Senior Site Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta,BCDecember 27, 2015
Atco is a company that has excellent leadership and job controls. The supervisors are a pleasure to work with, the hours are long but good clean work
Pros
good people
Productive and excellent experience
16 Months Field Operational Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABDecember 5, 2015
An excellent place to work. Learned a lot and great co-workers. Lots of help available. Great management. The work was challenging and interesting.
good work environment
CLERK III (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 30, 2015
ATCO is one of the best employers and has given it's employees the best benefits one could ever have. It's a great experience to be a part of this organization.
No Career Advancement Opportunity and no Job Security
Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2015
- work life balance is good
- benefits are good
- very top-down micro managed
- regular changes in leadership resulting in regular firings and layoffs
- no career advancement. They keep you in your role and only hire external supervisors and managers.
- Poor office space
- Not a very friendly environment. Morale is very low and zero team building.
Pros
benefits, work life balance
Cons
no advancement, unfriendly environment, poor job security
Great group of people, family like atmosphere.
Draftsperson II (Former Employee) –  Fort McmurraySeptember 21, 2015
Creating Preliminary drawings of crown land for power line easements. Creating Individual Ownership Plans (IOP) for land owners. Creating vegetation control plans, and creating pipeline crossing drawings. I assist co-workers with AutoCAD questions and help to try to solve any issues they are having with AutoCAD.
Pros
Family first company
Cons
No job security
Not the best place to work or the worst
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
So much is wrong with this organization too much to list. And not worth my time. Do you know the saying its not what you know its who you...... fill in the rest. That's Atco in a nut shell
Pros
Leaving this place
Cons
wasting 2 years of my life there
Atco electric
Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 4, 2015
Work experience was great
they provide lots of training
pay is really good
management is just ok depends which department
got laid off without any notice
Decent But
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 12, 2016
Decent company however layoffs are prevalent.
constant reorgs
very top down style of management.
work is often in silos
minimal room for advancement
Cons
long hours for no compensation
BAD, BAD, BAD COMPANY-DONOT EVER WORK HERE
Assistant Transmission Operator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABAugust 1, 2015
Worked for ATCO Electric for a While -HAD TO QUIT. Management IS PYSHCO!!!!!! Managers will "STAB YOU IN THE BACK", to make themselves LOOK GOOD!!! Supervisors are the Same. If you are a smart worker and Know your Job, donot work for ATCO. All levels of management will Resent you. then make you look BAD. then try to Fire you. So you have to QUIT!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Management Is Condescending, & STUPID.
good place to work but always trying to save a dollar
SENIOR WAREHOUSEMAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,AB(Remote locations)September 8, 2015
-Good place to work but all about the bottom line.
-To munch red tape and politics, to hard to try and make any changes
-Best part of the day would be the great people I worked with in the field
Pros
great people in the feild
Cons
lack of comucation
Meet a lot of good people.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
Do up daily work plan, tailboard meeting. Give out material for line crews to do work for day. ( transmission construction ). document the material on computer and pick material that is needed for next day. Working as a team is important. Very physical work at times. the best part of it was working with a lot of good knowledgeable people, learned a lot from these people.
Pros
Worked offend with team.
Cons
Travel on Icy roads