ATCO Electric Employee Reviews

ATCO provides an amazing experience to learn and advance
Apparatus Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
I have nothing bad to say about my time with ATCO. They gave me valuable field experience and the management was superb. Would recommend to anyone who is looking to work there
Loved working here, but couldn't stand my immediate supervisor any longer
III & IV Clerk, MD Mgmt (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2017
Would still be working here if I had a different supervisor. This woman was so bad at managing people that she managed to chase 3 hard-working people off her team into other positions within the company.
I loved it here. Such a shame...
Good company
CONSTRUCTION PLANNING ENGINEER, E.I.T (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2017
great company for engineers, very good working environment, Strong management team, they compensate well. good work life balance. they had their downturn but it is picking back up.
over all. Not bad.
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 May 2017
Daily work was ok. But getting more experience was not great. Often there was no ability to expand knowledge base. Vey repetitive work.
Training and safety are important to the company. But often I could see that higher levels of management were out of touch with the workers needs, or even the needs of the work/job. At a general worker level, low stress. Once you promote up the ladder, you lose your hair with the politics.
but really....what work place doesn't have that.
Good luck to you that is reading this. Keep an eye on the market trends on oil. They laid off 1/3 of the company in 2012.
Pros
good work, good pay.
Cons
not great options for expanding experience. repetitive
Very good learning experience for a first year engineer
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 May 2017
Would recommend ATCO to any future employees. Management is very knowledgeable. It was a pleasure working for them. I worked in the power sector
Good Pay
Central Work Desk Operator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, AB9 May 2017
It's a good company that puts safety first. Shift work makes for a good work-home life balance. Management could use some sensitivity and leadership training.
Overall a good experience
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
I enjoyed working for ATCO Electric. However, I think I will not be able to further my career in such a company no matter how good of an employee I am.
grate place to work
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 March 2017
i learned a lot while working with the good people at Atco Electric in Fort Mcmurray. there was a very safe work ethic in everything we did , everything was discussed and written down and the correct solution reached with ease.
Pros
good hours
Cons
job security
Comfortable and warm work environment
Summer Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 February 2017
During my time there, I had several tasks, including drafting, cleaning up folders, making maps and working on a database.
I learned to balance meticulousness with time management and how to figure out the more important tasks.
The managers were friendly and approachable, for the most part. I really enjoyed my time there. It was my first foray into the professional engineering world, and it was a very positive one.
Pros
Meeting people my age
safe workplace environment
Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB12 January 2017
great place to work with friendly people. lots of learning and different types of products to gain knowledge about. safe work environment, with fantastic management
Decent
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, AB3 January 2017
This is a decent place to work.There are great people in this company working together for a common goal. I wish that there had been more longevity in my job since I was laid off due to economic downturn.
good place to develop your career and work with a diverse group of professionals.
Distribution technologist; Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB27 December 2016
ATCO electric has a global business unit and is a very large company with many disciplines in the utility group. The company is progressive and likes to have highly trained people working for it. I have learned many new technologies and developed my skills over the years to a very comfortable level of electrical knowledge and would not hesitate to look for more challenges within the company and outside if the opportunity presented itself.
Atco is a very diversified company and has a good overall business model to make the company attractive to investors and employees.
The management is always looking for new opportunities to diversify the operations base, and expects the employees to be professional and act in good faith in all it's daily operations.
There is a very diverse group of people that make this company function and your daily activity involves many different aspects of interaction from technical issues to public complaints and always placing safety first in all aspects of the work plan.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lots of paper work, processes to learn.
Very good place to work
Lead Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Nisku3 December 2016
Very progressive company. Always training and advancement opportunities. Extremely safety oriented. My shop was always very busy and highly productive.
Repetitive and unchangelling
Journeyman Powerline Technician - Service (Former Employee) –  Consort, AB24 October 2016
Atco Electric is a great place to work for benefits and you are treated like Family. Infrastructure and work methods need to be modernized in order to have more efficiency.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Cons
Rural areas
Good to Terrible
Employee (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2016
It was a good place to work for the first few years and then went downhill really fast when they moved the 1 president to Australia. Bad morale, no job security, little long term vision and a handful of people that you could actually trust. They had good management but got rid of all them to restructure for the umpteenth time. It is a shame really.
ok
Construction Supervisor Substation/Line/Telecom (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
good company long hours other employees are sharks. good pay, lots of tavel, telecom group especially smart, lots of back stabbing,
Modern Day "Mofia" Corporation
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2016
The most unethical corporation to work for! Not worth my time to even write this review... Stay away from this company even if Alberta does rebound from this economic downturn.

Top heavy, inverted pyramid of management and workers. They over-hired for the boom and laid off allot of good people. The ones that are left are family members of management with little to no experience. ATCO is a sinking ship, do not join this terrible outfit.
Pros
Cons
unethical, work extra hours without pay, being lied to by management, too many to list...
Forced into a on the road postion when I am not in a travelling employee
Powe (Current Employee) –  Peace River, AB6 August 2016
This company is a terrible company to work for, I have been a lineman for 10 years. It took me several of those years to get to the point that I was no longer required to live on the road. But a bid to boost profits they are forcing me and several other employees to go back on the road. We applied and accepted the positions we are in so that we did not have to be on the road and Atco in bad faith has forced us back into a travelling construction company all with the purpose to dupe the regulator into giving atco more moeny next year. Albertans are upset about the power purchasing contracts they should be equally upset over this because it will only cost consumers more. Atco will just pocket this moeny and make the rest of us suffer.

I along with several others will be leaving atco at our earliest convenience. Or when atco decides to cut staff again, because they will as they see employs a number not a person. No other utilities have made these drastic cuts, unrealistic budget expectations and excessive work load requirements that will result in burnout or unfortunately fatalities due to management greed.
Pros
Average wages and benifits
Cons
very bad management that thinks they have the right to change job locations and descriptions
ATCO Electric was a good place to work with great salary and benefits.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 July 2016
ATCO Electric was a good place to work with great salary and benefits. I had a fantastic group of people that I worked with who made coming to work enjoyable.
Great place to work if you are an engineer
Design Lead/Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB17 May 2016
Worked in the Field Engineering division as a Design Lead.
Lots of engineers and steady rotation of E.I.T.s and engineering co-op students. Great training ground for them I guess...

Problem is with company culture. They are so concerned with hiring (and impressing) more engineers that the non-engineer staff are not valued. An E.I.T. with 2 weeks on the job was given more credibility than permanent non-engineering staff! And who trains those aspiring engineers?

Good pay and benefits though! Just not a lot of job satisfaction or anywhere for advancement:(

Oh, and the recent downsizing at the end of 2015...Handled very poorly! What kind of utility company can't weather a slowdown in the economy within the first year?! The good news is that Engineering was almost unaffected by the downsizing!!