ATCO Electric Employee Reviews

Too much drama, miserable fellow employees and terrible shifts (10/3)
Remote Stock Keeper (Former Employee) –  AlbertaDecember 10, 2013
A good company, but one manager quit in disgust and his boss was fired which lead to a lot of confusion. I was hired at a given level which one long time employee took great exception to, telling people external to the company I "was paid too much" and "was useless". Coming from someone who spent a number of cold winter days watching the rest of us work from a warm truck while smoking cigarettes therein you probably get the picture. He had a lip on from day one beause he did not hire me nor was I beholden to him. Nor would he take direction from his supervisor. Constant non stop drama and a horrible work schedule of 10 on three off with 12 hour days made for a dismal personal life; the only thing benefitting was my bank account. Other people working for the same outfit were on more decent schedules eg 8 and 6. There are other opportunities out there. I think this was a good company to work for if a decent position is found. I decided to cut my losses and quit with two weeks notice.
Pros
lots of overtime, all expenses paid on the road
Cons
terrible shifts when everyone else seems to get more time off, drama, backstabbing
typical corporate environment, management run by incentives
Party Chief (Former Employee) –  Peace River, ABSeptember 12, 2014
Atco was and is a corporation that is centred on the principles of giving money to managers who drive costs down. This had an adverse affect on the actual employees, I personally witnessed workers taking other employees tools to accomplish their own work. Along with front line workers driving equipment that could be ten years old and managers driving brand new trucks for their daily commutes. To actually acquire something would take months of asking and a pile of paper and once you had gone through the plethora of assistants and managers whom were supposed to verify that it was something needed they then contemplated an outcome and directive. This was always a cost driven decision with money being the final and only driving factor.If the managers kept their division under budget they reaped financial rewards. Being yes man was rewarded and this made for a disgruntled work force.
Pros
some nice people
Cons
poorly run, bad work environment
Loved working for ATCO Electric but...
Executive Assistant, Land Access Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2015
The department and interdepartmental staff I worked with were the some of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of supporting in my career. The ATCO Group culture of community service brought balance and enhanced the the work experience. Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of working under a director (who no longer works for ATCO Electric Ltd.) who had poor executive management and delegation skills. He was good at getting work done at a front-line level but relied heavily on his direct reports to do the director-level reporting and responsibilities. His lack of foresight and poor follow-up for championing staff brought down the department. As an experienced Executive Assistant I offered to help in many ways and he did not utilize me to my full potential then dismissed me at the first opportunity.
Pros
Great work culture and environment peer-to-peer and inter departmental.
Cons
Poor Top-Down management and lack of 360 feedback.
No Career Advancement Opportunity and no Job Security
Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2015
- work life balance is good
- benefits are good
- very top-down micro managed
- regular changes in leadership resulting in regular firings and layoffs
- no career advancement. They keep you in your role and only hire external supervisors and managers.
- Poor office space
- Not a very friendly environment. Morale is very low and zero team building.
Pros
benefits, work life balance
Cons
no advancement, unfriendly environment, poor job security
Meet a lot of good people.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
Do up daily work plan, tailboard meeting. Give out material for line crews to do work for day. ( transmission construction ). document the material on computer and pick material that is needed for next day. Working as a team is important. Very physical work at times. the best part of it was working with a lot of good knowledgeable people, learned a lot from these people.
Pros
Worked offend with team.
Cons
Travel on Icy roads
BAD, BAD, BAD COMPANY-DONOT EVER WORK HERE
Assistant Transmission Operator (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABAugust 1, 2015
Worked for ATCO Electric for a While -HAD TO QUIT. Management IS PYSHCO!!!!!! Managers will "STAB YOU IN THE BACK", to make themselves LOOK GOOD!!! Supervisors are the Same. If you are a smart worker and Know your Job, donot work for ATCO. All levels of management will Resent you. then make you look BAD. then try to Fire you. So you have to QUIT!
Pros
NONE
Cons
Management Is Condescending, & STUPID.
Great group of people, family like atmosphere.
Draftsperson II (Former Employee) –  Fort McmurraySeptember 21, 2015
Creating Preliminary drawings of crown land for power line easements. Creating Individual Ownership Plans (IOP) for land owners. Creating vegetation control plans, and creating pipeline crossing drawings. I assist co-workers with AutoCAD questions and help to try to solve any issues they are having with AutoCAD.
Pros
Family first company
Cons
No job security
Work environment was not all that.
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABDecember 14, 2015
Working here was well below my skill level from my previous job. My co-workers are stuck in their old ways and refuse to learn other ways that would make work life easier. It was way different from what i was use to on a day to day basis and intern had to make a lot of changes to my work behavior to accommodate that of my co-workers.
Pros
hourly rate was good
Cons
Lack of overtime
Good Electrical and Utility Company
Supervisor Contract Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 13, 2015
Great company - Safe, sustainable and healthy working environment. Dedicated workforce with vision and corporate values. Employees Participating in Community programs.
Pros
great people, professional and very team oriented environment
Cons
challenges going through change in policies and procedures
One of the better ones out there
SCADA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2014
It is one of the better places to work for. Although management can do changes (ie. reorgs) out of the blue.

People are great. I've learned alot from my experience here. Overloaded with work and not much support can be an issue.

I enjoyed seeing my project from start to finish.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
micromanagement, out of the blue changes
Business like atmosphere in and oustide of office.
Field Engineer FCI (Current Employee) –  Peace River, ABJanuary 16, 2014
Typical day would be phoning customers. Arranging dates and times to meet on stie to discuss transformer locations. Be professional and cutious at all times and hold the company image high in the eye of the public.
Pros
open to days off when you work overtime.
Cons
understanding what happens outside of work.
Bad management - Treat people like garbage!
HS department - Transmission (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Stay away. No chance of advancement if you are not a engineer. Worked there for over 6 years and within 45 minutes of putting inmy notice, I was walked out the doorlikeI stole a million. Much better companies out there.
Cons
treat people like garbage. no work/life balance.
good place to work but always trying to save a dollar
SENIOR WAREHOUSEMAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton,AB(Remote locations)September 8, 2015
-Good place to work but all about the bottom line.
-To munch red tape and politics, to hard to try and make any changes
-Best part of the day would be the great people I worked with in the field
Pros
great people in the feild
Cons
lack of comucation
Sneaky Company, Sneaky Lay-offs
Admin Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2015
The job was great until about a year ago they decided to lay workers off and overload the remaining workers. My job was very manageable until they cut many admin staff and gave me 3 peoples workload. Very stressed in the end
Pros
pay
Cons
back breaking workload
Good place to learn, Very helpful envorinment
Powerline Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Atco was a great place for an aspiring lineman. There was a great learning culture there, and everyone took the time to help make sure you understood the task at hand. Safety was first and foremost.
Pros
4 day work weeks
god company
Power line Technician (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABJuly 14, 2015
a company with a lot of need of safety , god workers , god management , in need of more resources like tools and equipment, well organized crews, well organized training, god facilities
Pros
big company and stability
Cons
lack of tools and equipement
ATCO group of companies are a fairly good place to work.
Clerk III (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 13, 2014
My reason for leaving ATCO was that the temporary assignment was finished. I enjoyed working there and would not have left if the job had not ended.
Pros
great supervisor, challenging work
Great Learning experience
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  EdmontonJune 12, 2013
ATCO has been a great place to start employment, they have very friendly staff and managers here have made my transition incredibly stress free. ATCO is a fun place to work with a great bunch of people:)
Great place to begin a career change.
Apprentice Powerline Technician (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AlbertaJuly 31, 2013
Great opportunity and equipment. Friendly journeymen who are interested in assisting an apprentice. Solid management.
Pros
opportunity for advancement, tools, trucks, respect .
Tight knit group of very caring people
Draftsman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
The group I worked at was composed of some of the kindest people. They care about you and want to help. They listened to my concerns and took my suggestions seriously even though I was just a student.