ATCO Electric

ATCO Electric Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
typical corporate environment, management run by incentives
Party Chief (Former Employee), Peace River, ABSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: some nice people
Cons: poorly run, bad work environment
Atco was and is a corporation that is centred on the principles of giving money to managers who drive costs down. This had an adverse affect on the actual employees, I personally witnessed workers taking other employees tools to accomplish their own work. Along with front line workers driving equipment that could be ten years old and managers driving – more... brand new trucks for their daily commutes. To actually acquire something would take months of asking and a pile of paper and once you had gone through the plethora of assistants and managers whom were supposed to verify that it was something needed they then contemplated an outcome and directive. This was always a cost driven decision with money being the final and only driving factor.If the managers kept their division under budget they reaped financial rewards. Being yes man was rewarded and this made for a disgruntled work force. – less
ATCO group of companies are a fairly good place to work.
Clerk III (temporary) (Former Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great supervisor, challenging work
My reason for leaving ATCO was that the temporary assignment was finished. I enjoyed working there and would not have left if the job had not ended.
overall good place to work
Certified Engineering Technologist (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2014
busy steady work days, electrical engineering drafting, good place to work
unreasonable hours
construction lead (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2014
Pros: 8 on/ 6 off
Cons: call in number on your company vehicle
Pay for 40 hours a week, expect 60.
Expect you to answer your phone 24 hours a day.
An excellent company
Contract Administrator, (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 8, 2014
Pros: good management
Lot of opportunities for growth.Learned a lot about Supply Chain Management.
nice new office, great team
Distribution Electrical Planning Lead (Former Employee), Lloydminster, ABMay 9, 2014
1. 8 hr work day, 5 days a week
2. learned a lot about the distribution side of power system
3. co-workers are nice and helpful
4. work load sometimes can be very hard to handle
Its who you know NOT what you know
Administration (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2014
Use to be an amazing place to work for, now its become so large, its become a huge corporate organization where you are just a number and can be replaced - they make that known you are replaceable.
One of the better ones out there
SCADA Engineer (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: micromanagement, out of the blue changes
It is one of the better places to work for. Although management can do changes (ie. reorgs) out of the blue.

People are great. I've learned alot from my experience here. Overloaded with work and not much support can be an issue.

I enjoyed seeing my project from start to finish.
Bad management - Treat people like garbage!
HS department - Transmission (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 13, 2014
Cons: treat people like garbage. no work/life balance.
Stay away. No chance of advancement if you are not a engineer. Worked there for over 6 years and within 45 minutes of putting inmy notice, I was walked out the doorlikeI stole a million. Much better companies out there.
Too much drama, miserable fellow employees and terrible shifts (10/3)
Remote Stock Keeper (Former Employee), AlbertaDecember 10, 2013
Pros: lots of overtime, all expenses paid on the road
Cons: terrible shifts when everyone else seems to get more time off, drama, backstabbing
A good company, but one manager quit in disgust and his boss was fired which lead to a lot of confusion. I was hired at a given level which one long time employee took great exception to, telling people external to the company I "was paid too much" and "was useless". Coming from someone who spent a number of cold winter days watching the rest of us – more... work from a warm truck while smoking cigarettes therein you probably get the picture. He had a lip on from day one beause he did not hire me nor was I beholden to him. Nor would he take direction from his supervisor. Constant non stop drama and a horrible work schedule of 10 on three off with 12 hour days made for a dismal personal life; the only thing benefitting was my bank account. Other people working for the same outfit were on more decent schedules eg 8 and 6. There are other opportunities out there. I think this was a good company to work for if a decent position is found. I decided to cut my losses and quit with two weeks notice. – less
Great place to begin a career change.
Apprentice Powerline Technician (Current Employee), Lloydminster, AlbertaJuly 31, 2013
Pros: opportunity for advancement, tools, trucks, respect .
Great opportunity and equipment. Friendly journeymen who are interested in assisting an apprentice. Solid management.
Great Learning experience
Administration Assistant (Current Employee), EdmontonJune 12, 2013
ATCO has been a great place to start employment, they have very friendly staff and managers here have made my transition incredibly stress free. ATCO is a fun place to work with a great bunch of people:)
N/A
Business Process Consultant (Former Employee), EdmontronMay 17, 2013
There is lot of internal politics. One has to be very careful.
Finance with this company is not where you want to be.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), EdmontonOctober 20, 2012
Pros: getting out of there.
Cons: not getting out of there soon enough.
Long, unappreciated, uncompensated hours so that the dark Southern Empire can continue to flourish.
Great Team and Learning Environment
Design Lead, Qual/Electrical Tech, Entry Level (Former Employee), Lloydminster AB / Drumheller, ABSeptember 10, 2012
Typical day at work involved checking task lists to ensure design due dates were on schedule and modifying dates if other team members were falling behind or ahead of schedule. Shuffling dates were quite typical and meeting schedules were priority.

I learned to work with diverse personalities, how to manage my time and use to effectively the tools – more... available to me.

Management and other staff members were always helpful and encouraging to help me reach my goals.

The hardest part of my job was learning to react to constant changing environment (customer needs) and protocal (ATCO Electric process).

Learning the distribution side of electrical was the most enjoyable part of the job and reaching the qualified position was very rewarding. – less
good company to work with
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 13, 2012
very good compensation package.
good working environment.

About ATCO Electric

ATCO Electric is a part of the ATCO Group of Companies. Alberta-based ATCO Ltd., with more than 7,700 employees and assets of – Read more