ATCO Electric Employee Reviews in Canada

Great well paced and personal company
Operator / Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 8, 2016
Great experience
Good wage
Great safety
Lots of training
Good benefits

lack of ability and positions to become full time, and was given a zero time notice lay off.
good work environment
CLERK III (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 30, 2015
ATCO is one of the best employers and has given it's employees the best benefits one could ever have. It's a great experience to be a part of this organization.
Great place to work if you are an engineer
Design Lead/Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMay 17, 2016
Worked in the Field Engineering division as a Design Lead.
Lots of engineers and steady rotation of E.I.T.s and engineering co-op students. Great training ground for them I guess...

Problem is with company culture. They are so concerned with hiring (and impressing) more engineers that the non-engineer staff are not valued. An E.I.T. with 2 weeks on the job was given more credibility than permanent non-engineering staff! And who trains those aspiring engineers?

Good pay and benefits though! Just not a lot of job satisfaction or anywhere for advancement:(

Oh, and the recent downsizing at the end of 2015...Handled very poorly! What kind of utility company can't weather a slowdown in the economy within the first year?! The good news is that Engineering was almost unaffected by the downsizing!!
Modern Day "Mofia" Corporation
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 25, 2016
The most unethical corporation to work for! Not worth my time to even write this review... Stay away from this company even if Alberta does rebound from this economic downturn.

Top heavy, inverted pyramid of management and workers. They over-hired for the boom and laid off allot of good people. The ones that are left are family members of management with little to no experience. ATCO is a sinking ship, do not join this terrible outfit.
Pros
Cons
unethical, work extra hours without pay, being lied to by management, too many to list...
All about the dollar, no family values
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  LoydminsterMay 11, 2016
It his company is all about the dollar. I've been in the Power line trade for almost 20 years never been treated by any companies this poorly. Massive blitzkreg style layoffs with NO notice in November of 2015 to save the company moeny. Fast forward to 2016 existing staff are being overworked, expected to pick up the slack of the 400 employees fired due to lack of work, as well they are expected to volunteer to go on road and work out of their areas that they live. I was asked to go almost weekly to work on road because it was a expenditure they could capitalize and get moeny back from the regulator. Atco hired contractors the week after the downsizing, how unethical.

Now it's all about increasing the profits in 2016, used the slide in oil prices as a excuse to get rid of productive employees and didn't touch management, atco has so many layers it's hard to keep track. When I worked there I had 3 layers of management for approx 20 tradesman what a joke.
Pros
None worth mentioning
Cons
Terrible management and communication bordering on incompetentance
Forced into a on the road postion when I am not in a travelling employee
Powe (Current Employee) –  Peace River, ABAugust 6, 2016
This company is a terrible company to work for, I have been a lineman for 10 years. It took me several of those years to get to the point that I was no longer required to live on the road. But a bid to boost profits they are forcing me and several other employees to go back on the road. We applied and accepted the positions we are in so that we did not have to be on the road and Atco in bad faith has forced us back into a travelling construction company all with the purpose to dupe the regulator into giving atco more moeny next year. Albertans are upset about the power purchasing contracts they should be equally upset over this because it will only cost consumers more. Atco will just pocket this moeny and make the rest of us suffer.

I along with several others will be leaving atco at our earliest convenience. Or when atco decides to cut staff again, because they will as they see employs a number not a person. No other utilities have made these drastic cuts, unrealistic budget expectations and excessive work load requirements that will result in burnout or unfortunately fatalities due to management greed.
Pros
Average wages and benifits
Cons
very bad management that thinks they have the right to change job locations and descriptions
Clerk II- Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABMarch 29, 2016
nice relaxed pace during regular hours
consistent hours
adequate pay
great atmosphere
easy going management
many different areas of work
Pros
free coffee
No Career Advancement Opportunity and no Job Security
Professional (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 9, 2015
- work life balance is good
- benefits are good
- very top-down micro managed
- regular changes in leadership resulting in regular firings and layoffs
- no career advancement. They keep you in your role and only hire external supervisors and managers.
- Poor office space
- Not a very friendly environment. Morale is very low and zero team building.
Pros
benefits, work life balance
Cons
no advancement, unfriendly environment, poor job security
ATCO Electric was a good place to work with great salary and benefits.
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2016
ATCO Electric was a good place to work with great salary and benefits. I had a fantastic group of people that I worked with who made coming to work enjoyable.
Work environment was not all that.
Powerline Technician (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABDecember 14, 2015
Working here was well below my skill level from my previous job. My co-workers are stuck in their old ways and refuse to learn other ways that would make work life easier. It was way different from what i was use to on a day to day basis and intern had to make a lot of changes to my work behavior to accommodate that of my co-workers.
Pros
hourly rate was good
Cons
Lack of overtime
ok
Construction Supervisor Substation/Line/Telecom (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 28, 2016
good company long hours other employees are sharks. good pay, lots of tavel, telecom group especially smart, lots of back stabbing,
Not the best place to work or the worst
Construction Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 21, 2016
So much is wrong with this organization too much to list. And not worth my time. Do you know the saying its not what you know its who you...... fill in the rest. That's Atco in a nut shell
Pros
Leaving this place
Cons
wasting 2 years of my life there
Learning opportunity!
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 21, 2016
People are fun to work with and help you to learn and grow.
Management knows their role and make sure the job gets done at the right time.
good company to work for
Senior Site Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northern Alberta,BCDecember 27, 2015
Atco is a company that has excellent leadership and job controls. The supervisors are a pleasure to work with, the hours are long but good clean work
Pros
good people
Cons
Good place to learn, Very helpful envorinment
Powerline Technician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABFebruary 8, 2016
Atco was a great place for an aspiring lineman. There was a great learning culture there, and everyone took the time to help make sure you understood the task at hand. Safety was first and foremost.
Pros
4 day work weeks
Productive and fun
Construction Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 3, 2015
Easy going Management
No job security
Favourism
Typical day involves completion of your day to day task required for the project.
Decent But
Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 12, 2016
Decent company however layoffs are prevalent.
constant reorgs
very top down style of management.
work is often in silos
minimal room for advancement
Cons
long hours for no compensation
Loved working for ATCO Electric but...
Executive Assistant, Land Access Department (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 1, 2015
The department and interdepartmental staff I worked with were the some of the best co-workers I had the pleasure of supporting in my career. The ATCO Group culture of community service brought balance and enhanced the the work experience. Unfortunately, I had the misfortune of working under a director (who no longer works for ATCO Electric Ltd.) who had poor executive management and delegation skills. He was good at getting work done at a front-line level but relied heavily on his direct reports to do the director-level reporting and responsibilities. His lack of foresight and poor follow-up for championing staff brought down the department. As an experienced Executive Assistant I offered to help in many ways and he did not utilize me to my full potential then dismissed me at the first opportunity.
Pros
Great work culture and environment peer-to-peer and inter departmental.
Cons
Poor Top-Down management and lack of 360 feedback.
Productive and excellent experience
16 Months Field Operational Planning Intern (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABDecember 5, 2015
An excellent place to work. Learned a lot and great co-workers. Lots of help available. Great management. The work was challenging and interesting.
Safe and Educational
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Stettler, ABJanuary 5, 2016
I had a very good experience while I worked at ATCO. The employees on the crew were very good about maintaining a safe and educational work environment.
Pros
Great job site safety, Per Diem, Double pay on overtime

2.7