ATB Financial Employee Reviews in Canada

Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 23, 2015
Good place to work. Being here for almost 7 years proves that.
Inclusive culture and flexible schedules help with work life balance
Great Place for a Career
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  High Level, ABSeptember 14, 2015
ATB Financial was great place to work.
Hardest was putting in extra hours and not get paid
Most enjoyable was helping others
Pros
Benefits were awesome
Cons
No overtime paid for extra hours worked
Expensive training
Investment advisor (Former Employee) –  Grande prairie abApril 19, 2013
Atb spends a lot of money training their employees hosting expensive welcome ceremonies where they give out books, ice cream and everyone has a great time. My welcome and 3-4 months of training were lavish. I thought I had joined a great company.
After the training was done there was a lot of pressure to perform. This was during the 2008 investment bust. As an investment professional I had a certain amount of mutual funds to sell each week. If a customer came in to redeem their funds it counted against my goal. I worked at a branch that hadn't had a investment professional in years. None of the other bankers sold funds. It was a bad situation. Not long after that atb decided to switch most roles like mine to video call centres. They didn't fire me but... I was told I should quit by someone in upper management. I was so embarrassed and crushed that I did. I didn't realize I would have qualified for ei if I had made them fire me.
Pros
great initial training
Cons
no job security/sales goals not adjusted based on current events
Bank work, cold long days.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2015
Lots of receptive motion. Sitting most of the day. Sore eyes. Constantly dealing with people that are upset about there money. Co workers were friendly enough but the overall atmosphere was poor. Management was over worked.
Pros
Consistent working hours
Cons
Poor pay
Great Benefits
Customer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABSeptember 21, 2015
Out of all the places I have worked for ATB has an amazing benefit plan for their employees as well as lots of fun events throughout the year.
benefits
Cons
hours
Excellent Job Culture and Freedom to take decision and less Supervision
BI Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 8, 2015
Here we have freedom to explore new ideas and more reliable on people and culture. Co-workers are very friendly and lot of work from home culture.

Work balance
Benefits and perks
Productive and Fun
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  CalgaryDecember 4, 2012
I loved working there.It was my first experience working in a bank and I was made feel welcom by everyone and right away felt comfortable in my surroundings.
The job itself was fun as I was constantly learning and the management continued to offer advancement courses to staff also
Pros
great staff
Cons
Great benefits but ended up being too sales driven
Customer Service Advisor & Online Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 5, 2014
Working at ATB was very enjoyable especially at the start, but then the management started to be too sales driven - they began to try and force us to get referrals when people called in to check their balance etc. This really put me off and reminded me that I worked for a bank who valued profits over everything else - (i think all banks are like this to be fair). But in my opinion this isn't a good way to improve customer service, or raise profits - it just annoyed our clientele, especially the ones who were better able to read between the lines. There was only some investment products I believed were good for the our customers, I didn't want to have to persuade people to get in more debt! But if you're the kind of person that doesn't mind this then its rosy! Lower ranked managers of the call centre were great people that treated staff very well. Benefits are amazing and once you are in it's quite easy to climb the ladder up to a point e.g. to (40k-45k or more) - a few steps up from general call centre worker. Once you get there in most positions there is less pressure to sell. ATB are very loyal and good to their staff if you tow the line. You can trade some benefits in even to get more holiday, I managed to get 3 weeks off each year plus the plethora of provincial/national holidays off too with option to work them at double time and a half!!
Pros
great benefits, good pay.
Cons
higher management puts too much pressure on lower staff for sales
Fun at work
MasterCard Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2015
A typical day at work is me arriving there about 10 minutes before my shift, starting up the computer while talking to everyone around me of how their day is going. Then i look into my emails and see what is new what has changed and what needs to be done. The part that i love about my job is that the managers there treat us with respect, they don't make us feel insecure.
Pros
getting the shifts you want
Cons
pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Thorsby, ABNovember 16, 2015
It was a good place to work .I enjoyed the people I worked with and the customers. There was def room for learning,but I chose to leave this position to foster full time.
Poor management
FA (Former Employee) –  CalgaryMay 22, 2013
Manager was a bean counter and had no idea how to motivate and deal with sales people. He had no idea how the technology worked when reviewing performance with you , was always late and just a miserable person to be around. He usually coaches you how to answer employee engagement surveys to boost his performance. Culture and morale was deteriorating prior my departure. Too bad his bosses couldn't see how his tenure had brought morale down.
Pros
great vision
Cons
poor management and upper management issues
Great company with room for growth and advancement
Customer Service Specalist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2014
Typical day at work involves processing transactions for customers, setting up appointments for personal bankers and selling banking products to new and existing customers. You learn the ins and outs or basic banking as well as have the opportunity to learn advanced skills to further your employment and/or better your service to your customers.
Pros
great benefits, unionized, multiple options for advancement
Cons
poor scheduling
Great co-workers, very poor salary no advancement
Personal Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peace riverMarch 14, 2014
overall not a bad place to work, salary is very poor for the amount of work that you do and lack of leadership in most cases. co worker were amazing and clients as well. They always tell you there is lots of room to advance but that is only if you live in the bigger centers like calgary or edmonton.Very driven company with clear goals
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
low salary, no advancement and huge work load
Amazing people working hard for there customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  LloydminsterSeptember 9, 2015
What an amazing place to work. Best people and even after leaving there I am still friends with the current staff. They are always willing to go the extra mile to make a client happy.
Pros
Willing to go the extra mile
Cons
open nights
Positive and friendly work environment.
Experience Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2015
Positive and friendly work environment.
Great environment to learn and develop my interaction skills with staff and customers while maintaining a professional atmosphere and attitude.
The company provided excellent opportunities to help various charitable organizations throughout the community.
Pros
Excellent staff and work environment
Great Vision, poor middle management
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJune 11, 2014
Executive team is fabulous! They have great vision for the institution but middle management is not properly trained and make decisions on a whim without considering the impact of their choices. Middle management only cares about what executive management sees and hears and not what actually is going on. They are order takers not leaders. However, Executive management is in the process of training middle management on how to be better leaders so we will see what happens. There is a large work load and the pay is not adequate. They believe that they are industry leaders on pay but the fact of the matter is that they are still a corporation who neglects to see how much inflation has actually occured over the last 8 years and our salaries have not reflected this change at all. So industry leading in some areas and not in others isn't good enough.
Pros
benefit package is amazing
Cons
middle management gets in the way of progress
Good workplace to be in
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, ABSeptember 29, 2015
Wonderful co-worker environment; super friendly
Good for giving last minute emergency day off
Takes care of their employees very well
High level of respect
Mickey Mouse Managers
Head Office (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 24, 2014
Although ATB has improved it's marketing presence considerably to be seen as a forward thinking, innovative and remarkable company - those who have worked for them understand that it is a quite unremarkable place to be for anyone who considers themselves to be a professional.

The best part of the day is lunch. ATB has a strong commitment to the community which is impressive but could afford to place some of their profits into better salaries and training of management.

The location is good as you are outside of the downtown core and is accessible. If you have a family to support or value your job, I would reconsider your application to this organization.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poorly skilled managers
good
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2014
excellent.
good Job Work/Life Balance

Good job culture and preferred to work here.
GREAT company to work for
Service Support Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 5, 2013
Employee's are treated fairly. Awesome benefits, great company to work for. Tons of room for advancement. Would love to go back.
benefits
Cons
pay structure could be improved