ATB Financial

ATB Financial Employee Reviews

Great benefits but ended up being too sales driven
Customer Service Advisor & Online Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 5, 2014
Working at ATB was very enjoyable especially at the start, but then the management started to be too sales driven - they began to try and force us to get referrals when people called in to check their balance etc. This really put me off and reminded me that I worked for a bank who valued profits over everything else - (i think all banks are like this to be fair). But in my opinion this isn't a good way to improve customer service, or raise profits - it just annoyed our clientele, especially the ones who were better able to read between the lines. There was only some investment products I believed were good for the our customers, I didn't want to have to persuade people to get in more debt! But if you're the kind of person that doesn't mind this then its rosy! Lower ranked managers of the call centre were great people that treated staff very well. Benefits are amazing and once you are in it's quite easy to climb the ladder up to a point e.g. to (40k-45k or more) - a few steps up from general call centre worker. Once you get there in most positions there is less pressure to sell. ATB are very loyal and good to their staff if you tow the line. You can trade some benefits in even to get more holiday, I managed to get 3 weeks off each year plus the plethora of provincial/national holidays off too with option to work them at double time and a half!!
Pros
great benefits, good pay.
Cons
higher management puts too much pressure on lower staff for sales
It is a fun place to work and I just love my customers, there is nothing like making a cranky customer happy and even laugh and thank you.
CSR (Former Employee) –  Mayerthorpe, ABMay 6, 2013
I am currently working part time and will be looking at finding full time employment. I spend my day serving customers and filling their needs. I also periodically preview my customers profile to see there is anything that we can do help save them money and to see if there are any other services that would benefit them.

With ATB I learned that excellent customer service is key. I don't feel that ATB doesn't train the new employees about how important that customer service is. I see that with most new employees customer service is lacking and wish that upper management would provide the training that I had when I first started. I love working with a team and its great when we can reach goals as a team.

The hardest part of the job is keeping up with all the changes. Wish there was a better way to keep up to date, maybe more meetings going over major changes. We have longer hours that we are open to the public and there just isn't any time to have group meetings where we can throw ideas around.

The most enjoyable part of my job is my customers and getting to know them personally and have them thank me for selling them a service that they didn't even know about but if would help them and save them money or make money.
Cons
longer business hours, leave no time to socialize with co-workers, as well as running short staffed.
Gym
Senior Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 20, 2013
I started with ATB in 1980 working in various branches and then working in the Data Centre for a couple of years and then transferring to ATB Central Services starting there in 2000. A typical day would be very busy whereby the passé to complete the work would have to be fast. I enjoyed by position very much due to that it was interesting and never boring. There were always exciting challenges everyday and kept me focused on the task at hand. It was fun working with all the associates and the associates in all the branches, I got to know a lot of people and became friends through out the years. There is always exciting things to do and there is a lot of fund raising for many causes which is great. Everyone that I had the pleasure of working with over the years was great not that there weren't some challenges. Management was best of all, always there to help you out and provide support when ever needed. The hardest part of my job was getting up at 5:00 am other than that I enjoyed it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work, I really like doing the position I had and I will miss it.
Pros
moved into a new buiding giving us great amenities such as a gym..
Cons
atb converted over to a new computer system sept 2011, challenge..
Expensive training
Investment advisor (Former Employee) –  Grande prairie abApril 19, 2013
Atb spends a lot of money training their employees hosting expensive welcome ceremonies where they give out books, ice cream and everyone has a great time. My welcome and 3-4 months of training were lavish. I thought I had joined a great company.
After the training was done there was a lot of pressure to perform. This was during the 2008 investment bust. As an investment professional I had a certain amount of mutual funds to sell each week. If a customer came in to redeem their funds it counted against my goal. I worked at a branch that hadn't had a investment professional in years. None of the other bankers sold funds. It was a bad situation. Not long after that atb decided to switch most roles like mine to video call centres. They didn't fire me but... I was told I should quit by someone in upper management. I was so embarrassed and crushed that I did. I didn't realize I would have qualified for ei if I had made them fire me.
Pros
great initial training
Cons
no job security/sales goals not adjusted based on current events
Great Vision, poor middle management
Various Positions (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJune 11, 2014
Executive team is fabulous! They have great vision for the institution but middle management is not properly trained and make decisions on a whim without considering the impact of their choices. Middle management only cares about what executive management sees and hears and not what actually is going on. They are order takers not leaders. However, Executive management is in the process of training middle management on how to be better leaders so we will see what happens. There is a large work load and the pay is not adequate. They believe that they are industry leaders on pay but the fact of the matter is that they are still a corporation who neglects to see how much inflation has actually occured over the last 8 years and our salaries have not reflected this change at all. So industry leading in some areas and not in others isn't good enough.
Pros
benefit package is amazing
Cons
middle management gets in the way of progress
A productive and supportive corporation that is committed to each individual employee's success.
Senior Manager Process Improvement (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta, Victoria, BCNovember 2, 2013
A competetive work place that encourages it's employees and leaders to think and act strategically to develop and implement innovations for business success.
Each person is given the tools they need to be motivated and engaged.
As a leader I was able to provide my teams with tangible development plans and opportunities to initiate and deliver projects and process improvements that added to their engagement and allowed them to be successful in their own right.
Employee recognition programs were implemented to highlight those achievements and to give credit to those that may otherwise go unnoticed.
Pros
life work balance, remote work, flexible hours of work
Cons
too many projects, not enough resources.
Mickey Mouse Managers
Head Office (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 24, 2014
Although ATB has improved it's marketing presence considerably to be seen as a forward thinking, innovative and remarkable company - those who have worked for them understand that it is a quite unremarkable place to be for anyone who considers themselves to be a professional.

The best part of the day is lunch. ATB has a strong commitment to the community which is impressive but could afford to place some of their profits into better salaries and training of management.

The location is good as you are outside of the downtown core and is accessible. If you have a family to support or value your job, I would reconsider your application to this organization.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poorly skilled managers
Top 50 employers to work for.....
Senior Facilities Manager of Corporate Properties (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 29, 2015
ATB has been a great company to work for they put me through school at Tulane, I have a car allowance with expense account, I have an underground parking paid for, I get a performance bonus with a great salary.... So why am I looking for a career elsewhere?
Advancement... nowhere to go... my boss is not going to retire anytime soon.. either is our managing director. I need to move to a company that I can grow with so they can reach their growth potential. I am a self starter with strong operational and project management skill set that would be an asset to any company portfolio.
Pros
great salary, top 50 employer, great facilities
Cons
no advancement
Overall good people to work with
Lead Supply Chain Operations (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 17, 2013
Overall the company had good people to work with, everyone was working towards common goals and tried to help each other out as much as possible.

A typical day at work was replying to emails, discussing projects, and meetings of various types.

I learnt a great deal about vendor management, supplier relationship management, and networking both external & internal.

My coworkers were amazing and I could always rely on them, whereas management was not very visible as part of my job and didn't provide quality feedback.
Pros
flexible work environment, good work/life balance when required
Cons
poor management feedback & job security
9-5 job in a decent environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  edmonton albertaOctober 13, 2015
Decent job. Very consistent and regular. Ease to build a schedule around. Could get tedious at times. The management is encouraging and want you to succeed and grow. Started to feel gross knowing that part of my income was coming from people who were crippled by debt. It was hard working for an organization that is build around getting people to take money even if they couldn't necessarily afford it. Not specific to ATB, just to bank jobs in general.
Pros
Consistent work (hours, payment, tasks)
Cons
could be tedious or menial
Hard working teams
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 13, 2015
- very busy and demanding days
- team and individual input is welcomed
- Co-workers were great people and worked very hard during SAP conversion and after conversion
- Many changes transpiring within the organization and restructuring is still happening in the operations area- jobs being eliminated
- Many of the good executive team are gone and moved onto other organizations or jobs as well as some of the other managers - position eliminated - many with good knowledge and expertise are gone
- Pay was good considering the number of hours and additional hours one performed daily
- Fun events held within units and good benefits
Pros
Learning is non stop and hands on
Work Experience Placement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 8, 2015
A typical day working at ATB would be to fill in the stock in the kitchen, answer emails, conduct mailouts, update data entries, filing, etc. I learned a lot about Anti-Money Laundering, Privacy Policy, Code of Conduct, etc. The management and co-workers were all very friendly and welcoming. The hardest part of the job was trying to time-management all the tasks that have to get done. The most enjoyable parts have been the activities that have happened throughout and being apart of a huge conference.
Pros
Free lunches and fun activities
Cons
Work Experience
very unprofessional
Loan Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2013
I have learnt to always do your best no matter what people have to say about it. If you know what you're doing is right according to what your manager had told you, then don't listen to anyone.
some of the co-workers were very nice, polite and friendly, and some were just not on the great side of the spectrum.
the hardest part of the job was being un pressure to finish so much logging before leaving work.
Pros
get lunches from dealerships every month
Cons
not a friendly environment
Great environment to work in and with a gym
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 19, 2014
Day to Day is tasks are account managing for clients and just bringing a great aurora to work and passing that to the client making the experience better.
I feel everyday you should start with the thought of I am going to learn something new today and then it is a very productive day.
Interacting with managers and co-workers is what is best about working with this company as you get to meet some really interesting people and share idea's, information, knowledge everyday.
Cons
shifts change weekly
GREAT COMPANY BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE SALES DEP
Inbound Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 22, 2013
This is a great company but the CCC Sales department is run by a moron called Gupreet Deol. This guy has no leadership qualities and he tries to run the department through autocratic means . His right wing person Le Steele does not know what the hell is going on and that's why that department has such a high employee turnover . This is a sales department but we constantly have to be explaining statement issues. The credit coaches are all confused and have no consistency in their audit.
Fun work place. Lots of diversity and great people
CSR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 29, 2015
Typical day at work would be processing transactions, dealing with customers, guiding them into the best banking decisions for them. I learned people skills, Learned how to make great sales and how to have fun at work! Management was Ok. Seemed unfair at times but overall it was ok. My co-workers were the best couldn't have asked for a better CSR team. Hardest part of the job was to make no mistakes. AT ALL. Most enjoyable was working with all different types of people and working with our CSR team made work even better!
Pros
great hours
Cons
management
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
CSR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 27, 2015
Love my job, lots of great things to look forward to, but find it hard to move up the ranks due to certain branch politics or management playing "favorites". All around great place to have a career in the financial industry. ATB has a great corporate culture and does numerous charitable/community events
Pros
amazing employee benefits, staff parties, work/life balance, enjoyable environment
Cons
harder to advance, more competitive than actually being promoted on your individual performance
We work in a new building were they are providing recreational activities during lunch hour
special arrangements clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2013
Answering Emails and completing requests.
Doing reports for customers so they may have special arrangements.
I have learned how to manage my work load in a day.
Management is usually understanding.
Co-workers are easy to get along with.
Figuring out how to implement procedures on customers accountts as we have a new system in.
The most enjoyable part of the job is variety.
Pros
free gift certificates
Fun at work
MasterCard Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2015
A typical day at work is me arriving there about 10 minutes before my shift, starting up the computer while talking to everyone around me of how their day is going. Then i look into my emails and see what is new what has changed and what needs to be done. The part that i love about my job is that the managers there treat us with respect, they don't make us feel insecure.
Pros
getting the shifts you want
Cons
pay
Great co-workers, very poor salary no advancement
Personal Banking Specialist (Former Employee) –  Peace riverMarch 14, 2014
overall not a bad place to work, salary is very poor for the amount of work that you do and lack of leadership in most cases. co worker were amazing and clients as well. They always tell you there is lots of room to advance but that is only if you live in the bigger centers like calgary or edmonton.Very driven company with clear goals
Pros
work enviroment
Cons
low salary, no advancement and huge work load