Aspen's Youth Addictions Community Support Home program is currently looking for support home providers. The community support homes provide a safe, secure living environment for adolescents (ages 12-17) while they attend the Alberta Health Services Youth Addiction 12-week ACTION Program. The support homes are located throughout Calgary and provide a temporary home for the clients Monday-Friday. Support homes provide meals, support, transportation, supervision, recreational opportunities, life skills training and encouragement to the program participants. Aspen is responsible for finding, screening and preparing host families who wish to generously open their doors to individuals enrolled in the ACTION program. Aspen staff offer training and support to the home providers, as well as support for the youth attending the program.
What do I need to become a Support Home?
- A home conducive to addictions treatment (free of alcohol, drugs and tobacco)
- A bedroom available for the youth to stay in while in treatment
- A valid Criminal Record and Child Intervention Check
- Current First Aid and Suicide Intervention Training (provided by Aspen)
- A vehicle to transport youth to Youth Addiction Services (1005 – 17th Street N.W.) for 8:45am and pick them up by 5:00pm daily (Monday to Friday) for the first part of their treatment program. (Youth earn independence during treatment and are then able to take the bus to and from program)
Who will be staying in the Support Home?
- Youth between the ages of 12 to 17 years of age
- Youth who are actively attending a day treatment program at Youth Addiction Services
- Youth who are not violent or abusive
What are some of the many BENEFITS of becoming a Support Home?
- Apply learning’s and gain practical experience working with clients
- Access to a Support Worker 24-hours a day, includes daily contact, support meetings, special events, bi-monthly meetings, weekend support (if necessary)
- All relevant training for Support Homes in regards to the population they are working with
- Providing a safe, positive and supportive home environment for youth
- Paid a non-taxable $50.00 per night per diem
Indeed - 14 months ago
Aspen is a charitable human service agency established in Calgary in 1984. Over the years, Aspen has grown to become among the city's...