AskMen.com, a division of Ziff Davis Inc. and the largest men's lifestyle site in the world, is looking for a talented and committed Features Editor.
AskMen is based in the exciting Plateau area of Montreal. With a young and vibrant staff, we work hard and play hard. We celebrate our success but don't accept complacency. We are part of a large media company but we still think and operate like a startup. This is a 10-month full-time maternity leave contract.
AskMen publishes at least two features, or marquee pieces of brand-building content, each month.
The ideal candidate for the Features Editor role should be a current events and pop culture maven who reads a ton and maintains a high level of awareness of trends, in particular in (but by no means limited to) the men's lifestyle space. You should be an ideas machine with tons of great article ideas bubbling up -- the challenge shouldn't so much be in coming up with them but in identifying the great ones from the just-OK ones.
The Features Editor is responsible for matching great writers, both new to the site and already in our roster, with these story ideas, assigning them, developing angles with the writer, and shepherding the piece through a sometimes-lengthy editing process. In most cases there's also a video or photo element involved, which the Features Editor coordinates with the video team and hired photographers when necessary.
Features on AskMen are designed to be conversation-starters among our readers and across the internet. We're looking for impact, so your ability to hone in on a great argument or angle is key. Editing experience is a must, experience writing/overseeing/editing long-form content is a major asset and a great network in online media is a big advantage.
RESPONSIBILITIES will include, but will not be limited to:
- Overseeing the content development process for features on AskMen, from idea creation to author recruitment to substantive edits and post-publication marketing.
- Creating a marketing strategy with a set of goals tailored to each piece -- social, traffic, referral, etc. -- and executing that strategy post-publication. That means communicating via email and Twitter with industry peers and relevant influential figures.
- Assigning and editing everyday content on AskMen as part of the editorial team, often working with the video department to come up with article ideas that also work well for video production.
A thorough command of the English language and a university degree in journalism, literature or a related field are essential. The ideal candidate will be resourceful, dedicated and driven to produce content that performs on a variety of different levels. They will be well-versed in all manner of male-interest topics and eager and equipped to continuously learn more.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Substantial professional experience as an editor that includes working with style guides.
- A vast network of contacts in online media (writers, experts, PRs, editors, etc.)
- Superior organizational and problem-solving skills – an ability to handle a diverse range of tasks and daily deadlines without dropping any balls.
- A professional’s familiarity with travel, food and drinks, cars, gadgets, and other subject areas of interest to male readers.
FOR CONSIDERATION for this position, please submit:
- A cover letter
- An up-to-date resume
- Writing samples