Ashley Furniture Industries Employee Reviews

An extremely rewarding position.
Driver/Labourer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2014
A typical day would consist of Processing shipment documents neatly and efficiently for each load. I would then Conduct daily DOT pre-trip inspections according to a set checklist, before I was able to begin driving. Then it was mine and my swampers duty to Load and unload trailers with mechanical freight handling equipment.

Then I would transport freight from origin to destination in a safe and timely manner, while Using the necessary tools to fix and assemble all product while Supervising the crew and delegating tasks.

I find the position extremely rewarding as it has given me a great deal of experience, which has allowed me to grow as an individual, as well as a functioning employee.

Thank you.
Pros
Always busy, Good staff.
Cons
It can prove to be a difficult position, which makes it hard to find good crews as people come and go to frequently.
workplace duties
Customer Service/ Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON25 June 2014
Ashley furniture has a great reputation when it comes to selling furniture. My day consists of loading and unloading furniture at a customers home. I also assemble and inspect if all furniture is not damaged. I can navigate myself around the city in any type of weather and road conditions. The best part of my job is I get to interact with new customers. You want to build customer relationships so that they come back.
Pros
Learned how to install furniture
Cons
heavy lifting over 250 pounds
Typical day
Furniture Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2014
Management was good as well as the co-workers. The only think is if they could raise the pay for there employee's
A great place to work and really show your talents
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 March 2014
A typical day at work is receiving floor product in the morning and then taking the product to the floor and decorating/ merchandising the product in a way that customers will be attracted to and purchase.
was a good place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  ottawa ontario26 February 2014
I enjoyed working for them they were really good to me and the job it self was like second nature so no complaints
Great place to work but management needs improvement.
Swamper (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2014
A typical day at work involved loading, inspecting and securing the product into the delivery vehicle for the day. After the goods are secured the drive teams would begin their day to deliver the load to varies clients and customers. The best part of the job were my co-workers, they were great, very supportive of one another and provided a great working atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would be the interactions with management. As they would often not listen to the needs of the workers to preform the job both efficiently and safely. Management also seemed to have no code of ethics, the workers were told almost daily to deliver broken and/or damaged goods in hopes the client and/or customer would not notice and sign for them. The combination of these factors caused a high turn over rate within the transportation section of the company.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
The management
Skills Learnt
Delivery Driver and Swamper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2014
Leaned the necessary skills to provide good quality customer service
FAIR
Funiture Assembly / Forklift truck (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2014
While I worked at Ashley it was a normal day at work 8 hours not long and fair. I learned better building skills customer service and driving a forklift. my co-workers never did work played jokes that you would get in trouble for. no hard parts. driving fork lift was the best part of the job
Cons
Productive workplace with friendly staff
Delivery Driver / Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 February 2014
A typical day at work would either take place in the warehouse or delivery truck. Involves moving furniture in and out of people's homes, bedroom + office setups, and dealing with customers.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Little room for advancement
I'm very happy, buy I must re locate
Repair Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 August 2013
I very much enjoy working for Ashley Furniture; however, I need to move back east. I am from southern Ontario, originally and wish to go back. My Mother lives in Welland and her health is not good. I need to be in southern Ontario, so I can spend time with her and help around the house. I am currently an administrator, but I can also work as a repair technician.

My typical day starts with printing up service tickets, prioritising the jobs and scheduling the work for in shop and in home service. The next step is to pick the parts for the scheduled jobs and repair the parts if necessary. Once all the scheduling is done and the parts are ready I move on to parts receiving. When the jobs are scheduled and the parts are received I go into the shop and work on repairs.
Pros
I enjoy lots of freedom to organise my day as I see fit.
Cons
No cons
Very Productive
Design Specialist (Sales) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2013
Its your business and Your personality to fit in. I like taking challenges and communication skills got lot better with me. Management is amazing and I will be loyal to them for my life.
Fast pace environment with friendly customer service
Assistant Mover (Former Employee) –  Toronto14 May 2013
Assisted with the pick-up (loading), transportation, and delivery (unloading and placement) of household goods in accordance with established procedures and protocols
Routinely involved lifting, movement and placement of heavy items by hand or with the assistance of handling equipment
Reported any potential hazards to the team leader while adhering to all company policies and safety rules
Represented Ashley Furniture in a professional manner at all times when interacting with clients
Worked with other team members to ensure customer needs were met and our contractual agreements were fulfilled
Great place to be
Sales Associate / Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Bayers Lake, NS23 April 2013
I enjoyed my time at Ashley and working with the people I did. The management in-store was fantastic and supportive and wanted everyone to succeed.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
pay issues
hard to work for and terrible to buy from
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northridge, BC19 April 2013
I worked for them foe about 15 months and I have to say it was the worst place I worked in.
they paid commission only and the least commission in the retail industry.
you have to be there at 9 in the morning and you finish at 9 or 10.
you have to clean like a slave after 12 hour shift and you have to clean good.
Cons
long hours, bad commission, clean the store for free
poor management
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 January 2013
Although I loved my job and working with customers I have to say management sucked. They don't disipline staff when they do things that put peoples lives at risk as well as they don't have their employees well being as a priority. Also they are great at breaking rules.
Pros
good wages
Cons
poor management
Productive And Fun WorkPlace
Shipper/Reciever (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 November 2012
It was easy work mainly just moving boxes and furniture around to places. I learned how to properly do inventory. The management was super good they where very helpful if help was needed. The co-workers for the most part where very friendly and helpful but there where a few that do not like new people. The hardest part of the job is moving the couches as most weigh over 300 pound. The most enjoyable part of the job is working along people that where very friendly
Pros
the bosses cooked lunches every friday
Cons
getting laid off
Best furniture store out there!
Sales Profesional (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, Alberta29 October 2012
I have worked for a few other major furniture chains in Medicine Hat. I must say I was really surprised by what Ashley Furniture had to offer when I interviewed with them, it sounded too good to be true as the salary was 50% higher then the last place I worked. They told me I would get tons of training and they weren't kidding. I wasn't just thrown on the sales floor to fail and be forgotten about. Even a couple of months after starting, the management team stayed supportive and training was on going. There was always an incentive above the regular commissions and the incentives were actually obtainable. Commissions were higher than average with no profit sharing where the company takes a portion so that was nice. Benefits were top notch as well and any reimbursement took days to get back not months. The Sales Manager was so friendly and always there to help. She really promotes a team environment and is fair with everyone no favorites. I would go back in a heart beat if I could get weekends off.
Pros
training, wage and friendly environment
Cons
weekends
Great job to work at
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2012
Everyday was very busy with lots of different jobs to complete. Routing trucks, scheduling deliveries, customer pick ups, receiving parts, and many more things. I learned how to run an office as part of a team as well as by myself and how to do most of my roles as most of this was new to me when I started. I felt the management needed a lot more training as didn't take serious matters seriously. The hardest part of the job was when they took the office from 3 staff down to just me and kept adding more tasks to complete daily. When I was able to take to an angry customer that had issues with there delivery and was able to find a resolution that made the customer happy.
Poor management
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 September 2012
Management does not follow protocol as per their policy manual which affects employees performance in a negative way. IE: weekly Performance Improvement Meetings are not done and subsequently employees are not aware of their shortcomings or accomplishments and fail to progress as expected.
Below
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB9 September 2012
The day began with a motivational meeting. Then we organized ourselves for sales "on the floor". We had a specific area to make presentable and then we prepared for the day with the latest newspaper flyers and whatever else we needed to greet our customers. Of course, the most important part of the day was closing the sale and making sure we left the customers with the idea that they would definitely return to do business with us again.
I learned that integrity is of the utmost importance. Companies need to stand behind their products if they expect return business and referrals.
Unfortunately, the high turn over in management was hard on the company, both from an employee stand point and from the customers' perspective. My co-workers were for the most part,friendly yet professional. The salary was 100 % commission and sometimes there were altercations regarding customer sales.

The hardest part of the job was the long work day on weekends; with Sat. meetings at 8:00 am. and the closing sales details, we were there almost 11 hours. Regular work days went for 6 to 8 hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely have been meeting and working with people from all walks of life, not over-looking the pay checks of course!

Ashley Furniture Industries Reviews by Location