Ashford University

Ashford University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poorly Run
Student Advisor (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 9, 2015
The turnover rate is indicative of the way this place is run. Employees are treated very poorly and given the work of 2-3 people.
Help your students with getting their first copy degree.
(Researcher) Independently (Former Employee), Clinton, IAMay 7, 2015
Pros: education
Cons: no job when you graduate.
Do not like the way they discard students when there is a [problem] with the program. I did not get my firt degree they were suspose to give me and no one paid any attention to me complaints.
They make it seem like you're changing lives when you a really destroying lives
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 7, 2015
This place is a scam. They are only after financial aid money and do not care about their students. This is basically a sales job. Morally, I could not work there knowing I was putting people (who are already struggling) into a bad financial situation in which the likelihood of them getting a degree from this university is minimal.
Great environment to start working your inside sales skills
Graduate Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2015
Cold call potential students
Retain current students
Meet monthly expectations

I really learned a lot about developing a relationship with potential customers in this position. I learned to be able to better understand feedback I was given and why it was given.
This company is totally 'sales-driven'; no room for life outside of the office!
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), Denver, COApril 26, 2015
Pros: Assists with transportation by providing a bus pass.
Cons: Told to push students into online learning, whether this is really their goal, or not!
Company is focused on 'sales' for all contacts. Told that you will be coached, and what this really means is, if you get somebody on the phone, a manager will be in your face, screaming for you to make the sale! My training class was 'layed-off', just under the six month mark. My manager had already quit, and I could not find one management that would verify my employment. HR wouldn't direct me, one way or the other.
Strives to improve all accepts of the company, encourage advancement
Special Projects Coordinator /Director of Finance (Former Employee), Clinton, IAApril 21, 2015
Pros: comfortable attire
Cons: Major change in healthcare
Family-like feel within the workplace. Team players but also allow the opportunity to work independently. Encourages continual learning experience for advancement. Most challenging would have been implementing a process only for it to quickly change.
Very Stressful
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Culture
Cons: Calls
I enjoyed the experience and knowledge to speak to people. But this job position was not meant for me I would get stressed.
Nice place to work - remotely!
Adjunct (Online) Professor (Current Employee), RemoteApril 14, 2015
My location is remote from the university, but they have a support team that is great - enjoy teaching for the University!
Re: Workplace Culture
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 8, 2015
This job was a revolving door of employees coming in and out. The name of the game was to get as many students as possible to sign up even if you knew they weren't going to class. It's a bottom line company, but they sell themselves as a school. I learned how to cold call very well though.
Wants Absolute Dedication Without Full-Time Status
Composition Instructor (Adjunct) (Current Employee), remoteMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Good pay for adjuncts, online
Cons: Over-reliance on adjuncts, no opportunities to advance
I have been and adjunct instructor for three years. I have taught consistently for three years, often being asked to teach two classes simultaneously, but no offers of full-time employment have been made. However, my supervisor has continued to demand more and more involvement.

The realignment of courses seem to occur every for months, and items that instructors generally have control of such as late assignment policies, and instituted by the administration. There are also a number of full-time faculty that oversea your courses, but don't really do much beyond sending an email letting you know that they are "monitoring" courses. Why not simply hire full-time faculty, so that instructors have the time and energy to dedicate to their courses?
All held position while in the Military as well as Retired civilian working as a contracter were very professional driven positions
Student enrolled in on-line program (Current Employee), Clinton, IAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: being a part of new ideas and see them utilized
Cons: starting over as a Civilian in the food chain
I felt a great challenge during my 28 years of active duty while in the Navy and retired at the highest rank possible as enlisted Master Chief Petty Officer.
This position lead me into position of leadership and management at a higher level and responsible and accountable to many more sailors that worked within my department as high as 250 personnel.

My contract career started after I retired from the Navy in 2010. I worked two contracted companies that worked with the Military that provided training and management support.
Working with people is one of my greatest skills and is what drives me everyday.

Hardest part or most challenging I would say is to not only think of what you are presently accountable for but thinking outside the box is something that will drive you to the next level.

I am currently enrolled in Ashford University completing my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice needing 18 credits to finish.

I am a certified Master Training Specialist (MTS) instructor and have been awarded my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice through Iowa Central Community College.
not a career opportunity
admissions counselor (Former Employee), san diegoMarch 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: leadership, career opporunities
great benefits; however, lack of effective leadership, career opportunities or advancement with often working in an atmosphere of intimidation to produce outweighs the benefits.
Great teamwork
Quality Assurance Manger (Current Employee), Clinton, IAMarch 25, 2015
Ashford works hard to help employee's feel welcome and on one team. They strive for professional and personal development for each employee. Ashford is goal driven and performance based in some departments.
Great Experience
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2015
The work culture is amazing and the management takes a genuine interest in the success of the admissions counselors. I would have continued to work there had I not relocated.
Hard work and rewarding
Admissions Enrollment Councilor (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 18, 2015
Pros: hard but rewardig work
A typical day was calling prospective students to enroll in an online university. The task of enrolling prospective students was difficult because many of the people who were trying to enroll in college didn't have personal computers or telephones. It was rewarding because I knew that I could be changing a persons life for the better.
Pay was great
Military University Adviser/Military Department (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: stressful
A typical day at Ashford consisted of constant monitoring from your supervisor regarding the numbers of students an adviser enrolled. Employees were constantly on the verge of getting fired which made the job very stressful. The position was not as what I expected it to be, it was primarily strictly an all sales position with lots of lead calling and not much of advising. Not a typical college. The most enjoyable part of the job was truly the pay.
Gtreat for working from home!
Online Math Instructor (Current Employee), onlineMarch 10, 2015
Pros: 5 week long classes, professional development, support their faculty
Cons: low pay, unsteady employment
This is a great place to work. They are clear on their expectations of their instructors and there are a lot of professional development opportunities.
Productive and Fun
Admission Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2015
Awesome culture and good leadership. I recommend bring your game each day, high pace could be a tad stressful but overall a fun place to work
Social and fun workplace
Student Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2015
Even though the workload never ended, my coworkers made the job worthwhile. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unrealistic deadlines and well as spontaneous lay offs. Those two things made for a stressful work environment. The most enjoyable part was the community feeling at Ashford. It a social and friendly environment that it difficult to come by in most positions today.
Job Culture and Adancements
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 26, 2015
Poor company to work for due to the practices and guidelines. Its not a fit for everyone and they discriminate against individuals as a whole.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ashford University

You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. – Read more