Ashford University

Ashford University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Nice place to work - remotely!
Adjunct (Online) Professor (Current Employee), RemoteApril 14, 2015
My location is remote from the university, but they have a support team that is great - enjoy teaching for the University!
Re: Workplace Culture
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAApril 8, 2015
This job was a revolving door of employees coming in and out. The name of the game was to get as many students as possible to sign up even if you knew they weren't going to class. It's a bottom line company, but they sell themselves as a school. I learned how to cold call very well though.
Wants Absolute Dedication Without Full-Time Status
Composition Instructor (Adjunct) (Current Employee), remoteMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Good pay for adjuncts, online
Cons: Over-reliance on adjuncts, no opportunities to advance
I have been and adjunct instructor for three years. I have taught consistently for three years, often being asked to teach two classes simultaneously, but no offers of full-time employment have been made. However, my supervisor has continued to demand more and more involvement.

The realignment of courses seem to occur every for months, and items that instructors generally have control of such as late assignment policies, and instituted by the administration. There are also a number of full-time faculty that oversea your courses, but don't really do much beyond sending an email letting you know that they are "monitoring" courses. Why not simply hire full-time faculty, so that instructors have the time and energy to dedicate to their courses?
All held position while in the Military as well as Retired civilian working as a contracter were very professional driven positions
Student enrolled in on-line program (Current Employee), Clinton, IAMarch 26, 2015
Pros: being a part of new ideas and see them utilized
Cons: starting over as a Civilian in the food chain
I felt a great challenge during my 28 years of active duty while in the Navy and retired at the highest rank possible as enlisted Master Chief Petty Officer.
This position lead me into position of leadership and management at a higher level and responsible and accountable to many more sailors that worked within my department as high as 250 personnel.

My contract career started after I retired from the Navy in 2010. I worked two contracted companies that worked with the Military that provided training and management support.
Working with people is one of my greatest skills and is what drives me everyday.

Hardest part or most challenging I would say is to not only think of what you are presently accountable for but thinking outside the box is something that will drive you to the next level.

I am currently enrolled in Ashford University completing my Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice needing 18 credits to finish.

I am a certified Master Training Specialist (MTS) instructor and have been awarded my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice through Iowa Central Community College.
not a career opportunity
admissions counselor (Former Employee), san diegoMarch 26, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: leadership, career opporunities
great benefits; however, lack of effective leadership, career opportunities or advancement with often working in an atmosphere of intimidation to produce outweighs the benefits.
Great teamwork
Quality Assurance Manger (Current Employee), Clinton, IAMarch 25, 2015
Ashford works hard to help employee's feel welcome and on one team. They strive for professional and personal development for each employee. Ashford is goal driven and performance based in some departments.
Great Experience
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 24, 2015
The work culture is amazing and the management takes a genuine interest in the success of the admissions counselors. I would have continued to work there had I not relocated.
Hard work and rewarding
Admissions Enrollment Councilor (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 18, 2015
Pros: hard but rewardig work
A typical day was calling prospective students to enroll in an online university. The task of enrolling prospective students was difficult because many of the people who were trying to enroll in college didn't have personal computers or telephones. It was rewarding because I knew that I could be changing a persons life for the better.
Pay was great
Military University Adviser/Military Department (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 18, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: stressful
A typical day at Ashford consisted of constant monitoring from your supervisor regarding the numbers of students an adviser enrolled. Employees were constantly on the verge of getting fired which made the job very stressful. The position was not as what I expected it to be, it was primarily strictly an all sales position with lots of lead calling and not much of advising. Not a typical college. The most enjoyable part of the job was truly the pay.
Gtreat for working from home!
Online Math Instructor (Current Employee), onlineMarch 10, 2015
Pros: 5 week long classes, professional development, support their faculty
Cons: low pay, unsteady employment
This is a great place to work. They are clear on their expectations of their instructors and there are a lot of professional development opportunities.
Productive and Fun
Admission Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 9, 2015
Awesome culture and good leadership. I recommend bring your game each day, high pace could be a tad stressful but overall a fun place to work
Social and fun workplace
Student Advisor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 6, 2015
Even though the workload never ended, my coworkers made the job worthwhile. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unrealistic deadlines and well as spontaneous lay offs. Those two things made for a stressful work environment. The most enjoyable part was the community feeling at Ashford. It a social and friendly environment that it difficult to come by in most positions today.
Job Culture and Adancements
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 26, 2015
Poor company to work for due to the practices and guidelines. Its not a fit for everyone and they discriminate against individuals as a whole.
Fun place to work
Student Activities Department (Current Employee), Clinton, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: flexibility, great co-workers and student connection
Cons: upper management from california
I've enjoyed my years working on Ashford's Campus. The students and co-workers make everything worthwhile. I've seen numerous changes on campus since working there. Ashford allows staff the opportunity to get involved in the community by attending professional development seminars and conferences to better develop their staff.
Good work environment
Faculty (Current Employee), Clinton, IowaFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: some amazing colleagues and students
Cons: the workload is unequally distributed
A bit top-heavy. The chairs' workload is pretty crushing, but there are some amazingly dedicated professors and staff who always keep the students' success front and center.
Weight Room Athletic Assistant
Athletic Assistant (Former Employee), Clinton, IAJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: networking, fitness, experience
Cons: boring
I managed weight room flow, checking students in and out of the facility. I cleaned equipment as well as facilities according to company standards. Finally, I monitored use of the facility to ensure all equipment and facilities were properly used. This job was not the most entertaining job because most of the time I just sat there and watched tv during the hours where no one was coming in to workout. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know people from my school and networking.
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 25, 2014
Pros: rewarding, high morale, paid holidays, long lunch
Cons: repetitive, long days
Great company to work for. Job can be very challenging and repetitive, but very rewarding. Great compensation and benefit packages
I loved working for Ashford
Adjunct Writing Instructor (TA) (Former Employee), Clinton, IADecember 22, 2014
Pros: great support
Cons: no advance notice when laying off
Ashford was really fun to work for. I loved the interaction between scheduling, administration and peers. Courses were 5 weeks long, and it was fun to work with students. I had he privilege of working for the school as a TA Instructor for three years. Then the school went through a restructuring, and changed to all adjunct jobs, laying off ALL of their TA Instructors. I would work for Ashford anytime. They are an excellent school that cares about their students, and their staff.
great skills
Admissions Counselor (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 12, 2014
I obtained a great amount of skillset here; communication, group work, individual deadlines, marketing, team buildings, leadership etc. The managers that I had and my coworkers were wonderful people with big hearts and a lot of passion. I thrive on learning new things, and in being with this organization for 3 years now, I have really got to learn things that I would not have gotten the chance to.
Productive workplace with positive energy
Admissions Counselor (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 10, 2014
Helping students change their lives; having a productive day by counseling student and helping them discover what their dreams are and how to move forward with their educational goals.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ashford University

You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. – Read more