At Arup, we are committed to bringing innovative and efficient solutions to global energy challenges. Our innovations in self-installing platforms and substructures have simplified construction of offshore facilities while simultaneously reducing cost and excess waste. Our holistic approach to engineering and design brings together the best professionals to meet our clients’ needs.
We are currently seeking a Senior Resident Civil/Geotechnical Engineer or Geologist to be resident on-site during the construction of a deep excavation for a graving dock in Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada.
The excavation will involve excavation of one million m3 of cohesion-less soil comprising sand and gravel to 20 m below sea level, grading of the excavation side slopes and installation of bentonite-cement grout groundwater cutoff walls to the perimeter of the excavation. The constructed scope shall include installation of groundwater monitoring points and dewatering wells. Additionally, the constructed scope shall include some amount of preliminary foundation works.
Job responsibilities for the resident engineer include:
· Reviewing work plans of the graving dock contractor to ensure compliance with the technical specifications
· Monitoring the performance of the work including staging of the excavation to ensure that the integrity of the finished works will satisfy the design intent.
· Monitoring the groundwater levels at monitoring points to confirm groundwater levels are consistent with design assumptions.
· Liaising with the excavation constructor to see that all reasonable safety precautions relating to the excavation and dewatering are undertaken.
· Inspecting the permanent works during construction for compliance with the specifications.
· Preparing and issuing daily site reports on progress and compliance of the work with the specifications to the Dock Engineering Manager and Client.
· Working closely with the Engineering Manager, Project Manager and other discipline leads to ensure coordination of approach.
· Coordination with the site client representative.
Qualified professionals will have:
· Bachelor Degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering or Geology
· Experience in site investigations, major civil work excavation and ground dewatering.
· High level of self-motivation.
· Ability to take initiative and make decisions.
· Ability to communicate and coordinate work within a construction site-based team.
· Minimum 7 years relevant experience.
· Required knowledge of the following software: MS Excel, MS Word.
Share your passion and experience in a global culture that believes your potential to achieve is endless. This is your opportunity to shine.
Arup is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.