Cross Street/Directions University/Dundas St West
Title Legal Secretary
- This is a 2 week temporary assignment starting on Mon Jan 13th and concluding on Fri Jan 24th. There is a possibility of extension!
- This position supports two senior family law counsel.
- Performing word processing functions to prepare correspondence, reports, memoranda, opinions, briefing notes and legal documents (e.g. factums, casebooks, appeal books, notices of appeal, orders, notices of motion, affidavits, consents, criminal appeal forms, Attorney General's consents) and Crown disclosure packages from handwritten notes, verbal instructions, dictaphone tapes as well as computer disks in connection with counsel's work on appeals and bail pending appeal applications in the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada, Witness Protection matters, Wiretap administration, commercial fraud and special prosecutions, Proceeds of Crime, Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty matters, Attorney General's consents in Dangerous Offender and Child Abduction matters, Freedom of Information requests, search warrants, advice and legal support services to trial Crowns and law enforcement agencies, constitutional questions and criminal law policy matters. Ensuring adherence to legal style, format and terminology
- Under the direction and supervision of counsel, putting together legal documents/document books (e.g. appeal books, books of authorities, motion records) by checking to ensure the photocopies are clear and complete; proper sequencing order (e.g. as set out in the indices); and meet court requirements (e.g. correct colour of court document covers, number of copies required for court purposes)
- Taking and transcribing dictation of a highly confidential and/or technical nature (e.g. Minister's correspondence, House Book Notes and Critical Issues, Wiretap applications and Witness Protection matters), including voicemail transcriptions
- Using knowledge of Ministry, Division and Office policies, precedents, procedures and guidelines, routing or answering correspondence/telephone inquiries not requiring counsel's attention and initiating follow up action as required
- Communicating with personnel in trial offices in the Criminal Law Division and with staff in the courts, law enforcement agencies and correctional institutions, with members of the legal profession and victims/witnesses to exchange information and obtain documents, transcripts, files and information concerning appeal and prosecution matters as well as responding to inquiries from members of the public concerning appeal and prosecution matters, explaining legal administrative procedures and documents. Maintaining an awareness of confidentiality of information
- Under the direction of counsel, conducting searches on the electronic case management data bases and legal information systems (e.g. ISYS, Q&A) to retrieve information pertinent to appeal and prosecution files; retrieving caselaw and other legal research materials in law library and Central Registry
- Photocopying, collating and binding of legal documents/document books; arranging for and accepting service of documents; arranging for timely filing of legal documents in the courts and when necessary or required, personally attending in the courts to file legal documents
- 2+ years experience in civil litigation or family law is mandatory
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check
- Must be able to organize heavy court calendars, liaise with parties and the court, produce legal and court documents, factums, motion records, appeal books and arrange for service is essential
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Must be able to type 50+ wpm
Job Status Contract
Category Administrative and Clerical
Start Date 1/13/2014
End Date 1/24/2014
State/Province Ontario [ON]
Compensation - Hourly TBD
If interested, please reply to this ad with a copy of your resume in Microsoft Word format.
Indeed - 13 months ago
Arrow Professional Services is a full-fledged staffing agency that matches professionals with freelance, contract, try-before-you-hire, and...