Aritzia

Aritzia Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Senior Sales- Aritzia
Senior Sales (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2015
Cons: Long Hours
As an Aritzia Senior Sales Associate, I am required to ensure the best customer service for all my clients. All clients are given my full attention by: greeting, determining needs, choosing the right outfits for their required events, and building lasting relationships.

I am to keep a minimum of $550 sales per hour, while keeping a consistent flow of customer service and maintaining my section of products. Also, checking that all core products (any item that accounts for 80% of our sales) is consistently stocked on the floor with full size ranges.

I work with a diverse group of individuals, with different employment and selling backgrounds, which allows us to work as a team to reach our stores and personal sales goals.

My management is very supportive and takes all employees needs into consideration, making the environment very positive and rewarding to work on. Management really incorporates a hard- working, positive, and truthful ethic. The culture is instilled into all employees with care.

The hardest part of my job is consistently staying on top of maintaining, selling, and communication through all roles in the store on a busy day. Weather effects our sales greatly, since we are a boutique styled store, this makes sales a challenge.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help a client find the right pair of jeans or dress for a meaningful and monumental moment in their life. The pictures that they take on those days are forever remembered and kept, with the outfit you've chosen.
HIgh Intensity workplace
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 31, 2013
Pros: good hours, 40% discount
Cons: can be a bad atmosphere
Very intense vibe. Most of the time it's a pretty high traffic store. I worked sales and cash. Sales people are usually designated a couple of sections to clean throughout the shift. Sales expectations are pretty strict. You approach the customers and take their items to "fits", and by doing so you claim the sale. You need to ensure they are taken care of every step of the sale, on the floor find them garments, get sizes while in fits, etc. You are expected to take their items to the cash desk folded for the cashier.

As for cash it's can be very high paced. There is a system of three people in the busiest times (such as xmas). One person preps the garment removing tags, scanning folding etc. The next processes the transaction and the last person wraps and packages the garment. It's extremely efficient. Cash people are responsible for cleaning garbage, keeping track of held items, stocking bags, and taking calls.

The employees are expected to have good style and be well kept.

You are taught a lot about merchandising as the store is constantly changing. I learned how to handle high quality garments and sell them. It can get rather competitive on the sales floor so there is that to look out for if that's not your cup of tea.

All in all the shifts went by quickly, the management is very organized. At the beginning of your shift they prep everyone on hourly sales and promotional deals. They are really aware of everything that's going on.
Lively environment, Fast paced.
Shipper/Receiver, Sales Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2012
Pros: fun, socializing, fast paced, entertaining
Cons: some long hours, working at night for markdowns, not enough hours
The day starts off once timed in, you have a daily morning operations, which includes restocking, lighting walk through, shipping out customer transfers to various stores across Canada, making sure security tags are emptied from the cash desk area, setting up work stations for incoming products, scanning boxes as it arrives, unpacking, scurity tagging, hanging/folding, steaming and running our items to the floor, back stocking items in the back room, ensuring the back stocking is organized for fellow coworkers to locate. Quick meetings with managers during yesterdays performance, durning the days performance, and improving how we can do better in the work place.

I've gained alot of experience through this company and how it works, it's a very high volume store, learing from other coworkers and gaining knowledge and sharing knowledge with each other.

Management team are always helpful, skilled and caring, always on track with daily routines. Giving feedback to employees to improve performance.

Hardest part of the job isn't really what's hard, it's about learning better ways to do your job in a timely fashion and being safe, in what we're doing.

Co-workers are very friendly, fun to be around, and always socializing and it's a good way to meet new people.
Very labour intensive, however always filled with excitement
Senior Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee), Toronto,ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: very well paid hourly wage.
Cons: not enough hours to work
I would count to make sure the number of boxes coming into the stores matched the number said on a runsheet. If correct I would sign them off, if incorrect I would double count and notify managers on duty. After I would organize by the Store Merchandise Manager's request, usually separating new to already in store shipment.
Set my work station, scan boxes, and calculate an estimated end time it should take to finish the shipment, and then communicate to the managers. Start the shipment line. After finished, clean up and review the calculate the estimate time was met; usually it was and even finshed better than expected.

I learned the great importances of organization, and communication. Constantly exposed to the new trends in women's fashion, and learned some new brands along the way.

Most of the time, managers were fairly excellent in terms of their duties. All co-workers were hard work in order to meet a certain standard for the company.

The hardest part of my job was trying to balance a physically intensive role and meet a high standard for the duties of my role.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people, and always finding new surprises within the shipment of what is trending.
Cleaner @ Head office
Cleaner (Former Employee), Vancouver BCDecember 9, 2014
Pros: lovely kitchen fully outfitted with full sized fridge, stove, micro, dishwasher.
Cons: all of the above - longest year of my life.
For someone cleaning the head office has a horrible floor plan, from one floor to another, use freight elevator (because no one wants to know what you do or that you're there). Open floor concept - hard not to be noticed while pushing cleaning cart through narrow aisles, while other people are doing work, meeting with new clientele, showing new products, etc. - and 'please don't run that vacuum cleaner' (so you'd rather sit in clothing dust?) - and don't talk to anyone...Rather snobby, not very many friendly people, all about status - not about people. Funny how I see people with Aritzia clothing all over town but if you really knew how the company operates behind closed doors. Don't forget to go to the 'before school sale' (Labour Day weekend) where all clothing (overruns) are deeply discounted! Office building in sketchy part of town, only one reputable restaurant close by - expensive. Many of their lines are made in China - read 'slave labour' with no labour code. Some staff receive 90% clothing lines so read into that what you will - they're still making money and only charging 10%. One of the worst places I've ever worked.
Artizia: Not all gold and shiny like their signature sign.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 22, 2014
Pros: discount on clothes
Cons: high tension working environment with little flexibility for shifts.
The best part of this job was providing that client with the best shopping experience they had ever had and hearing that from them personally. Providing honest and educational advice about clothes and helping the client find the right fit, colour and style for their body type. This type of honesty is what made clients come back into the store to shop with me personally.

The extreme pressure from management to maintain hourly sales goals was difficult to deal with for it would then lack in the relationship with the client and them leaving on a positive note. There was little encouragement or attempts when management was asked for extra training in areas of weakness. Management was manipulative to the employee for own personal goals. One of the worst experience was that they refused to send the employee home, even though it was very evident that they had severe food poisoning/allergic reaction due to the food they falsely stated was safe for the employee to eat.
Difficult place to work
Designer (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Salary and benefits
Cons: Hours, bad management, demoralizing place to be everyday.
Constant moving of goalposts. Ridiculous amount of approvals to get through - getting to the people giving approval is a chore also.
There are some extremely talented people working alongside you whose skills and expertise aren't utilized due to the overly corporate way of working. Difficult to be truly creative.
Terrible treatment by some managers that is just shocking.

I will say there are signs of it getting better but I wouldn't advise anyone moving across the country to take a job here currently. Drink the Kool Aid and you'll be fine but that drink is seriously spiked with some nasty stuff.

50% of the people are excellent, 50% are in it to use others to get higher. Lack of team spirit. Very cliquy.

Again they are trying but I don't see it getting better quickly, this amount of damage takes time to fix. Also depends on the department you work in.
If you are thick skinned and need the money and the name on your resume - good luck to you! Otherwise I wouldn't say the money is worth it. I only stayed as long as I did due to contract.
Not what you expect
Cashier/Shipper Receiver (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: co-workers
Cons: no hours, difficult to advance
Aritzia is an all women's clothing brand that is very popular in Canada and now the U.S. It has an established clientele and many blogs have praised it for the clothing, and even the service given when customers have been shopping. It is very fast paced and high energy, you have to have drive and be smart to truly do well at selling and keeping up with the high expectations that are told my the management team. A typical day starts with you arriving 15 min early to do a walk through of the store so you know where everything is, as well as making a re-stocking list for your section. You learn to think for yourself and to gather all your "facts" before you ask your manager for anything, it helps show your team the potential you have. You work as a team on the sales floor, cash and in shipping and receiving. There are small teams that help create a bigger picture of what customers see. The hardest part of my job is the hours and that there is no guarantee that you will have any, the best part of my job is the people.
Interactive Cultured Environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Thornhill, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: pop-culture influenced
Cons: long day
Aritzia's culture is unlike any other womens' clothing store I have ever encountered. You will find the associates to have such a fun, enthusiastic dynamic that customers will actually enjoy their shopping experience just as much as the high-end clothes they will receive. Sales associates aren't just expected to sell merchandise, they are expected to provide a fabulous customer experience and personalized their wardrobes. As such, associates are expected to have intimate knowledge of the various clothing lines while modelling their own sense of style and personality. Although associates are evaluated on their individual contributions, team and store goals are set and awards and benefits are provided for being a team player. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to interact with people on a personal level, while listening to my favourite music blaring in the background. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for so many hours!
Professionals not welcomed
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver Support OfficeJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: dog friendly, ample clothing allowance and provides yoga class
Cons: not professional, judged on weight, appearance/looks, society status
I took pride in working for a Canadian, Vancouver born company when I first started. But quickly saw that Aritzia is:
- unethical
- discriminatory (against weight, looks and status)
- unprofessional
- poorly managed
- vindictive
- preys on those with low self-esteem

and has:
- questionable business practices
- no compassion for charity or community causes
- incredibly high turnover

I have witnessed threatening language in upper management meetings and a show of public embarrassment time and time again. Many professionals have left as they felt morally and ethically conflicted.

As an emerging leader in this company, I have stayed to try and change this culture and coach those around me. But after 5 years, I feel this is a losing battle.

Before you apply, make sure you question why this position has been posted 2 to 3 times each year.

March 11, 2013

OMG, I should have listened to your review. A simple search will show you...

Fun and interactive Workplace with great people
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), VaughanMay 1, 2015
A typical day a work included me coordinating with my supervisor for what products and what my quota for the day should be. I learned how to process clothing as well as proper procudure in handling different types of merchandise and ow they would be presented on the floor. My management was great, always will to lend a helping hand or to assist me with anything that I had a problem with and could not solve myself. My co workers were also very professional at the same time were very enjoyable to work with. the hardest part was the unpredictable hours, which were to be expected as a seasonal hire. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that made the work environment very welcoming, and a pleasure to work.
hectic but fun and exctiting
Assistant to Merchandiser (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 27, 2013
Pros: exciting environment, meeting new people constantly
Cons: long hours. lack of training
Working at Aritzia was definitely a learning experience. I was thrown into my position with no heads up or advice and it resulted in a lot of headache, but also taught me so much. I learned a lot of selling strategies, how merchandise was distributed, ordered and strategically placed in the store to heighten sales. I learned about visuals and what needs to be done to make the store visually pleasing. The hardest thing about my job was the fact that i had no prior training so I had to learn everything on my own. The most enjoyable was the staff; they were helpful and allowed for fun in a hectic environment.
Negative environment and negative terrible management
Holiday help (Former Employee), Troy, MIDecember 24, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
I was hired for holiday help, my first and last day was absolutely best described as torture. I was really looking forward to a job with Aritzia although the management was rude and was not welcoming at all . When a store hires for holiday help they want to make a good impression on the employee as much as the employee needs to make a good impression but this was not the case ! I was also a frequent shopper at Aritzia but now I will never go there again seeing how they treat other people behind closed doors is unexceptable. My best advice is to continue looking for employment elsewhere .
always moving and meeting new people
Shipper Receiver (Current Employee), Etobicoke, ONOctober 2, 2014
Pros: working with a great team
Cons: on and off hours
typical day at work would start off by sending out customer transfers to requested stores. then move onto shipment which we unpack tag fold and steam and ran onto the floor for customer and business goal needs. i've learned to communicate and always being organize always touching stuff once never twice. my co-workers are very strong and easy to get along with and very motivate to work. my job is very easy nothing hard about the job, most enjoyable part would have to be the team because working with a motivated team makes you motive to strive hard and get stuff done
Company's culture not very IT friendly
Senior SAP Basis Administrator (Current Employee), Vancover, BCAugust 15, 2014
Pros: clothes discount
Cons: very long hours and not much appreciation of what i am doing
Dealing with day to day support.
SAP supported outsourced and In-House SAP people don't quite get what SAP Basis is all about.
Management is trying to understand people but by the end of the day is all about money
Satisfying In-house people and support vendors plus dealing with Project SAP Basis tasks can be overwhelming at times.
I get to architect and execute really good SAP Basis Project work with minimum support from outside (e.g. supporting vendor )
The worst management team that I have ever had
sales (Former Employee), BCNovember 2, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: very long hours with unreliable schedule, and bad management team
The company provided decent training and clear with the expectation and culture value. However, the management team is very unorganized and unprofessional. They promoted many of people who are lack of experiences from the floor, and that makes the floor mess, no discipline, and definitely not professional. The schedule is very not reliable at all, such as booked the days off, but still schedule you for multiple times, etc.
Excellent Workplace
CASHIER; SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 5, 2013
Aritzia is very much involved in creating a culture and experience for its customers and being a part of that culture as an employee meant being fashionable and friendly while delivering a precise customer experience. There was plenty of room for growth, development and advancement within Aritzia, which I really appreciated. The work environment was positive and getting along with co-workers and managers was a breeze. I learned valuable customer service skills and merchandising skills.
team orientated and great atmosphere
shipper/ receiver (Current Employee), thornhillApril 15, 2015
i receive merchandise(unpack, tag, and prepare for sales floor as per Aritzia standards.
i have learned to work and manage a team to process shipment accurately, speed, and efficiently. learned to communicate well with management and also take the leadership to train other shipper/ receiver.
difficult parts of the job is having more than 1000 units in a day.
the most enjoyable part of my job is working with a great group of people.
Productive and fun workplace
Lead Shipper-Receiver (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCJanuary 11, 2014
Pro's:
- Energetic and productive workday. Time flies when you're having fun
- If you love fashion/style, new music, in your 20's, you'll fit in perfectly
- Great pay + opportunity to advance/transfer
- Great communication between staff and management
- Given a lot of trust and responsibility

Con's:
- In terms of shipping-receiving, your hours can get cut out of nowhere depending on business reports (if it's business is down, you get no shifts)
hard to balance work and life
CASHIER (Current Employee), torontoMay 6, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: only 30 mins break
a lot of work gets thrown at you at once. Everything feels to be all over the place.
Sometimes it's difficult to work there because you're in a place full of women and with that I think in order for a place to work we must need a balance of males and females.
I've at least learnt how to multitask and communicate with other people. however, the hardest part of the job is trying to get your to-do's done.