Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun and peppy place to work. Very open minded and social.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 9, 2015
Fun and peppy place to work. Very open minded and social. Very friendly and forwards. Great place to learn vital social skills.
good people bad head office
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 27, 2015
i enjoyed the people i worked with and my manager however there's a great lack of appreciation as an employee i feel the company only cares about getting paid and doesn't care about the customer lots of the store rules were also i felt unfair dress code is conservative , no fashion, not flexible with hours for students and kinda sneaky i was hired at 13.00 i ended at 11$ cause i was returning to school. even though i was told to my face by the DM that i could keep my wages
Pros
good people to work with, and manager
Cons
not flexible, sneaky unapreaciative
Terrible Managment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBNovember 30, 2015
Managment was the worst part of this job. I started off in this job as an assistant manager, but the store manager was a dud, she has no idea how to be a manager at all. She can't run a store and make good decisions and she doesn't know how to treat her employees half the time and her customer service was probably the worst out of all the employees in the store.The district supervisor wasn't too bad but she wasn't the best. She was rude most of the time and instead of telling the employees to their face what she wanted done in the store she would write a note and leave it by the cash counter assuming everyone would read it , when she could have said somethign to each of us, as she was in our store for an entire day...
The dress code is quite nice, as you can wear what you want. But the fact you can not wear sneakers or anything comfy on your feet is just plain cruel in my opinion.
The other employees were the best part of this job. And the rare customer you got in the store that was actually appreciative that you helped them out to find what they needed. Although most employees were scared to do anything, especially at the till, without approval from the store manager or the district supervisor, because they thought they would lose their job for something silly and small. Which, in my opinion, isn't worth it. To all you part time Ardene workers, don't stress out about it, get a new job if you have to.. No part time job should stress you out that much and make you scared to lose it. Let it go.
borung
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2015
didn't rezally like this job but I hate retail in general. everyone I worked with was really nice. the store was small. decent hours
difficult place to work with high expectations
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  BCMay 27, 2016
A typical day is unloading boxes, even if this gets in the way of customers shopping (also garbage bags are left anywhere too, which get in the way). The number one priority is getting the million boxes out of the back room and onto the overflowing, jam-packed store. You're not allowed to stand behind the counter, because "head office could be watching!". They do spontaneous visual audits, not to keep track of theft, but to make sure employees are putting out stock. If there is no stock, good luck. Just a lot of folding and refolding the massive piles of clothes. Management is allowed to "take out the garbage" multiple times per shift to take 10-15 minute smoke breaks, but if you step into the back room for 15 seconds to grab a drink of water while there is no one in the store, don't expect equal treatment. In my 4.5 years, I saw 5 different managers and countless employees. The managers fire employees for the smallest reasons. If the manager is short $5, it was "the computer's fault" but if you're short $5, expect to get written up. 3 write-up's or "infractions" is grounds for firing. A lot of passive aggressive note writing, especially if you choose to help customers over putting out stock for a few minutes.

They don't like to give you time off, even if you request far in advance, and no one else has requested it off.

I stuck here because it was a small town, and I was nearing my college graduation. I started the day the store opened in my town, and was the longest standing employee at this store.

Coworkers can be alright. Management typically has no training or
  more... understanding on how to interview, so coworkers are hit and miss. Some coworkers were super fun to work with and made the job somewhat bearable!

It's okay for a first job to gain experience. 4 hour shifts can go by quickly since you're spending so much time putting out stock.
Honestly, the most enjoyable part was the discount.

Overall, would not recommend this place to work at.
Pros
discount
Cons
basically everything else
if you get a great staff you'll be ok
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova ScotiaMay 7, 2014
Never saw my district manager ever!! When I called her she never called back to respond to my questions. Never had a raise in the 3 years I've been there. Rules change a lot, sometimes without your knowledge and you are faced with the consequences. Not a great place to advance. Great for young students in their teens who want a shift here or there.
Pros
the girls i managed were awesome, part of the reason i stayed so long
Cons
upper management, no raises, no support from anyone other than yourself
GOOD FIRST JOB
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 8, 2015
STARTING WITH GREETING AND CUSTOMER SERVICES
BEING PUNCTUAL AND RESPONSIBLE
MANAGEMENT WAS GREAT
GOOD ATMOSPHERE
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART WAS DIRECTED TO THE FASHION SENSE OF THE SHOP.
Pros
FREE PIZZAS SOMETIMES
Cons
OTHER SALE ASSOCIATE BEHAVIOR
Positive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  regina, saskatechwanOctober 6, 2015
Positive environment that promoted the use of teamwork in the workplace. Great place to expand your social skills through the interaction with customers on multiple levels.
Pros
Smooth workflow
Cons
Slow growth in company
Mixed Feelings
Third Key (Former Employee) –  Ottawa ONJuly 14, 2015
My location had a fantastic group of girls that I worked with. They became like second sisters and we all had each others back. Only problem was the district manager who was not approachable and had favorites.

One of the more stressful retail positions that I worked, and a lot of manual heavy duty lifting and labor. Constantly being watched if you were not making a sale or approaching customers trying to get them to buy more. If it was not for the girls that worked there, it would have been less enjoyable to go into work each day.
Pros
The people I worked with.
Cons
District manager, corporate policies
Amazing Experience
sales associate (Former Employee) –  strathroy ontarioOctober 20, 2015
Working at ardene, was a fun work orriented place, the enviroment was fun, i loved coming into work and just doing my job.
Worst place to work
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
I do not recommend working here, not even to my worst enemy.
The pay is extremely low; the lowest I've ever encountered in any retail job. Benefits are only given to Managers and Assistant Managers as well as pay increases. I have only been making minimum wage for 3 years!
I will be going back to school soon, and since Ardene does not demote employees, my supervisor has asked me to quit.
I've also been informed that Ardene does not give references so working for them is entirely pointless.
I love the customers but the hours are rediculous. You are often expected to work 12 hour shift five days a week then the following month you might get 3 shifts four hour shifts a week. They care more about their wage cost then their employees. I have been asked serveral times to work late while not on the clock because they are under staffed and can't afford to pay me.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
30% to 50% discount
Cons
no pay increases, unpredictable hours, does not give references, under staffed, does not allow you to go back to school, does not hire men
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough OntarioJune 24, 2015
Catty females who seem to hate their job, never smile.
Constant trash talking new employees for not being up to their "standard"
only 2- 3 People working on busy days
Talking badly about co workers on a daily basis
You cannot wear comfortable shoes to work in, they consider flats "stylish" but that is not comfortable for 8 hour shifts.
You will not go home in any means clean, you look like you swept the floor with your own clothing.
Expect you to know more then you were taught.
No where safe to keep your belongings, expect to be on break in the delivery room.
Expect you to finish a task in an un realistic time frame
Constantly getting ignored when asking for help
Return and exchange policy is horrible
The items we sold were extremely cheap, you could probably get better quality at the dollar store

This Job was a joke, I hated my life working there. I would cry going home every night. I could not wait to quit.

I dont understand how any body would enjoy working here unless they were one of the people who talked down on newer staff.
Pros
Absolutely Nothing
Productive, fast-paced environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 23, 2015
Typical day at work: putting out stock/re-arranging sections, while helping customers with their needs such as clothing sizes, putting together outfits, giving them a fitting room, maintaining the store because it gets messy very quickly (clearance outlet), cashing out customers, do the end of the day closing, and once it's time to go home, leave the store neat and tidy.
Pros
Co-workers are reliable
Cons
Very long hours
productive and full on new experience
Assistance manager (Former Employee) –  eglinmillsMarch 3, 2015
o Great communication abilities in order to improve financial situation
o Fully knowledgeable about Loans, Credit cards and Accounts
o Capable of analyzing sales and costs in order to meet the forecasts

o Time and resource management for different projects in a fast pace environment (working with Arena Software to create supply chain management systems)
o Cost analysis and expense management in order to meet the budget
o Financial analysis

o Fully knowledgeable with all MS office software
o Created many flow charts and tables using Google Software
horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative-Third Key (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 4, 2015
I worked there for almost a year and we went through 5 different managers, several assistant managers (whom I had to help train as a regular CSR) and our district manager kept bringing her siblings in to work at her locations instead of people who could and wanted to do the job. They were lazy, argued with eachother infront of customers, were rude to the staff...and nothing was done about this behaviour though it was known she had hired family.
Everything was completely disorganized, it was a pain to have to switch everything by colour for the seasons, especially the hair wall, the expectations were very unrealistic most especially on stock day, the merchandise falls apart, none of the people in charge can ever seem to want the same things in terms of presentation, the backstabbing was horrendous....just....dont work there. Its not worth the lousy pay.
Pros
discount on cheap merchandise and it was kinda fun to pierce ears
Cons
everything else
Ardene
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 16, 2015
I worked for Ardene for over 5 years, as management. i loved my job, but even as a manager, the pay was not high enough with my mortgage and car payments.
Pros
good management, fun environment, always doing something new
Cons
not enough money.
cult like tendencies
management (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaOctober 3, 2014
Ardene in western canada runs like a cult. You are forced to do things that are inconvenient for you and your life, they make you feel that you are not going to get any better treatment in any other company anywhere else so you stay omongst all the abuse. Not to mention all of the HR breaches made by district supervisors. They are sure to have a large account at labour relations. Raise incentives are never given nor any acknowledgements in regards to pay increases.
Fun and wonderful
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
It was really fun working in Ardene because you'll find different types of customers and you'll try to get along with them. I've learned so many things especially in managing employees (co-worker) and how to become a good team leader. I was very lucky that I found a wonderful and helpful manager and supervisor.
Terrible and Unrealistic expectations
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
The job places very unrealistic expectations on both associates and management, the direction from head office was changing constantly and creating an even larger workload. The company expects a lot to get done in a very short amount of time, like unpacking 20 boxes of stock in one 8 hour day while assisting customers and cashing them out. The store goes through managers and associates like nobody's business, the turnover rate is terrible and the company will cook up any excuse to infract you and terminate your employment if they decide they no longer want you working there. There is a lot of favouritism and no matter how hard you work if you're not a favourite you end up mistreated. The store manager and district supervisor talk down to people on a constant basis but are never held accountable for anything they do. The store is poorly run and the store manager speaks to customers like they are scum. The dress code is outdated and forces you to wear only clothes made by the company, including their jeans. You are expected to continue working even when clocked out and they refuse to pay you for that work.

Overall, I had high expectations upon entering this company but I would not recommend this job to anyone. It is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting and truly not worth the stress.
Pros
decent wage ($16 starting wage) + commission
Cons
literally everything you can think of
Horrible Experience, Bad management and organization
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Polo park, WinnipegNovember 27, 2014
Day one of the job I walked in excited and ready to start a new job, the assistant manager who interviewed and hired me asked if I was there to drop off a resume. I had never felt so insulted, I began my "orientation" by being put straight to work with no training at all. I was told the manager would be in later to begin "orientation". A girl who I presumed was another assistant manager barked at me for not doing stuff right and had a girl watch and make sure I did what i was told. Nobody showed me how to punch in and out, I ended up working longer than scheduled. Got in trouble for not watching the time ( I had no watch or clock to view). Their was no communication between the assistant who hired me and management, I had no idea who was the manager until I gave my resignation. It was the worst working experience i've ever encountered, I felt so unwelcome working there and will not recommend anyone work there.
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
everything