Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and friendly work enviorment with good co-workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONDecember 11, 2015
Working at Ardene was a great experience. I grew alot within the company, I started off as a retail cashier then moved up to third key, then assistant manager. I learned alot about management and about the scheduling, bank runs and about how to set up the store with the merchandise.
borung
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 10, 2015
didn't rezally like this job but I hate retail in general. everyone I worked with was really nice. the store was small. decent hours
Fun and peppy place to work. Very open minded and social.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 9, 2015
Fun and peppy place to work. Very open minded and social. Very friendly and forwards. Great place to learn vital social skills.
Gained management experience
Key holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2015
As a full-time job provided advancement throughout company, district manager frequently visited to ensure everything was in working order. Employees and consumers were generally younger, was satisfactory for the time being.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Not professional work place
Terrible Managment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MBNovember 30, 2015
Managment was the worst part of this job. I started off in this job as an assistant manager, but the store manager was a dud, she has no idea how to be a manager at all. She can't run a store and make good decisions and she doesn't know how to treat her employees half the time and her customer service was probably the worst out of all the employees in the store.The district supervisor wasn't too bad but she wasn't the best. She was rude most of the time and instead of telling the employees to their face what she wanted done in the store she would write a note and leave it by the cash counter assuming everyone would read it , when she could have said somethign to each of us, as she was in our store for an entire day...
The dress code is quite nice, as you can wear what you want. But the fact you can not wear sneakers or anything comfy on your feet is just plain cruel in my opinion.
The other employees were the best part of this job. And the rare customer you got in the store that was actually appreciative that you helped them out to find what they needed. Although most employees were scared to do anything, especially at the till, without approval from the store manager or the district supervisor, because they thought they would lose their job for something silly and small. Which, in my opinion, isn't worth it. To all you part time Ardene workers, don't stress out about it, get a new job if you have to.. No part time job should stress you out that much and make you scared to lose it. Let it go.
WORST job I've ever had
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  ManitobaOctober 27, 2015
One of those jobs you get paid peanuts for working your butt off everyday, with no acknowledgment or appreciation. The management may know lots about the company, but have no clue how to manage staff (I highly doubt anyone received any training regarding that). They just don't care about their employees and it shows.

"A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation"
Pros
busy environment, good staff
Cons
bad management, low pay
Pretty store with a great manager.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2015
A typical day used to be busy. Had the first working experience here. Management was great. Co-workers were mostly great. Hardest part was physical pain. Helping customers with fashion was most enjoyable part.
Pros
Great manager, great co workers comfortable and fun work environment
Cons
no cons
Amazing Experience
sales associate (Former Employee) –  strathroy ontarioOctober 20, 2015
Working at ardene, was a fun work orriented place, the enviroment was fun, i loved coming into work and just doing my job.
third key
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONOctober 19, 2015
in the absence of manager, the key holder handles cash counters, collects the cash and deposit it in safe hands or in security lockers
Makes sure that all the employees are obeying the rules and regulation and are aware of the security affairs of the establishment
Pros
multitasking
Positive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  regina, saskatechwanOctober 6, 2015
Positive environment that promoted the use of teamwork in the workplace. Great place to expand your social skills through the interaction with customers on multiple levels.
Pros
Smooth workflow
Cons
Slow growth in company
Great customer service experience but poor management
sales associate (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, mbSeptember 23, 2015
Working at Ardene helped me gain experience with my customer service skills. A typical day at Ardene would have me responsible of the fitting rooms, where I had to open the fitting room door with a key for a customer and count how many items they had and rested by the fitting rooms for when the customer needed another size. The hours were good but not flexible once school started up.The hardest part of my job was when the pace would pick up and I had to keep my area clean meanwhile still being attended on the fitting rooms. I quit Ardene due to very poor management and because I felt mistreated and disrespected at times by the manager and the assistant manager. The manager is very rude and unprofessional. My co workers were very friendly and respectful. The only thing I enjoyed about working at Ardene was my friendly co workers.
Pros
fun coworkers and discounts
Cons
short lunches and poor management
Productive Environment at Ardene
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 15, 2015
Working at Ardene as a sales associate was a very beneficial job experience. By working there, I gained experience and knowledge in the field of advertisement, and customer assistance. The co-workers and management maintained a positive attitude allowing for a comfortable environment to improve your skills.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Short hours
should hire mules instead of humans
sales (Former Employee) –  toronto ontSeptember 11, 2015
-Misleading job description, should state;
merchandiser, warehouse shipper/receiver, shelf stocker, sales associate with customer service skills, (phony is welcome). Would be best suited to a juggler (one who has no feelings) Robot, Donkey or mule.

-Unrealistic work load. Impossible to maintain and keep up, Staff are prone to breakdowns They blame the managers, when it is the companies fault for not having a merchandiser to help, more staff, to accommodate workload, and or divide the store changes evenly.

A more realistic way to title the next job posting......

'donkey required'
Back Breaking Slave Drivers!
Manager (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 9, 2015
I was a manager at Ardene for almost 10 years. I liked being a manager, I liked my co-workers when they stayed. There was a high turn over rate. Its a lot of work. No work life/balance, your on call 24/7. If you're sick you can't call in because they will get mad and make you get a doctors note. Can't take holidays when you want to because there is a lot of black out periods. Constant floor changes on a moments notice, which needed to be done asap during store hours. And if you are a customer you know exactly what that entails- moving tables, shoes from one end of the wall to the other etc. Boxes of stock that needed to be put out, even if there was no room left. The store was colour coded one way in the summer and would have to change the opposite way in the winter. Merchandising was an endless battle. There's almost no training hours, these girls are expected to get it right away or within 2 weeks they're fired. Ridiculous, endless rules to follow and would change whenever it would suit the company. If they didn't like you they would get rid of you one way or the other. There is NO job security what so ever. The district supervisor's are a nightmare! So mean, lazy and they gossip about everyone, even in front of the person. The reason I stayed there so long is because they bullied me in to staying, making me think I wouldn't find a job. And they don't give references. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.
Pros
Great discount, nice jewelry
Cons
no work life balance for any staff member, can't call in sick
Lots of work, room for advancement, god-awful manager
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON, jackson squareSeptember 8, 2015
Begin work, greet customers, clean zones, work like a slave for 8 hours, then go home. My location had to deal with a lot of theft and at times situations would explode and things would get dangerous. The manger I worked for could easily be the anti-Christ. She was mean and condescending and I had to quit because she made me feel stupid all the time. Even though I was promoted, I could not work for this person. She was the reason my experience at Ardene was so terrible.
Pros
Great co-workers, good discounts
Cons
Terrible manager, lots of theft
It was alright
Customer service (Current Employee) –  KelownaSeptember 2, 2015
I enjoyed going to work, the people that I was able to work with were very friendly. I however feel that there wasn't much room to advance. The amount of pay wasn't ideal.
good people bad head office
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCAugust 27, 2015
i enjoyed the people i worked with and my manager however there's a great lack of appreciation as an employee i feel the company only cares about getting paid and doesn't care about the customer lots of the store rules were also i felt unfair dress code is conservative , no fashion, not flexible with hours for students and kinda sneaky i was hired at 13.00 i ended at 11$ cause i was returning to school. even though i was told to my face by the DM that i could keep my wages
Pros
good people to work with, and manager
Cons
not flexible, sneaky unapreaciative
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONAugust 26, 2015
Very productive and fun workplace. Surrounded by good co-workers and good management. I learned how to communicate with costumers on their needs. I also learned how to problem solve when a costumer was having difficulties in our store. I enjoyed every minute of working at Ardene.
Fun and wonderful
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
It was really fun working in Ardene because you'll find different types of customers and you'll try to get along with them. I've learned so many things especially in managing employees (co-worker) and how to become a good team leader. I was very lucky that I found a wonderful and helpful manager and supervisor.
Hated this job
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2015
This was my first retail job and i hated it. We went through two managers that were HORRIBLE. we always got so much stock. There was always drama, the supervisor did nothing to help the problem. All the manager did was gossip and talk down on people. The two managers were crazy and started unnecessary drama.They expected everyone to know everything without being taught. So many of the associates quit because of how she treated them. I didn't learn anything seeing how i wasn't taught anything. I would NOT recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Loved some of the staff
Cons
Long hours and hated the manager

2.7