Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Good for first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Good for first job for teenagers. If you're looking for a career then its not for you. I have been there for 2 years, its hard to work with multiple girls.
Very friendly, happy place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 17, 2016
It was an enjoyable company to work for. Up beat yet very serious about what needed doing. Friendly co-workers, customers, and higher up staff.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Weird hours, long shifts
Fun place to work at
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ONFebruary 9, 2016
A great part-time job and a fun place to work at. You meet new people and it is just nice to have friends in your workplace!
I learned a lot about teamwork and about clothing itself! Great discounts for employees :)
Back Breaking Slave Drivers!
Manager (Former Employee) –  BCSeptember 9, 2015
I was a manager at Ardene for almost 10 years. I liked being a manager, I liked my co-workers when they stayed. There was a high turn over rate. Its a lot of work. No work life/balance, your on call 24/7. If you're sick you can't call in because they will get mad and make you get a doctors note. Can't take holidays when you want to because there is a lot of black out periods. Constant floor changes on a moments notice, which needed to be done asap during store hours. And if you are a customer you know exactly what that entails- moving tables, shoes from one end of the wall to the other etc. Boxes of stock that needed to be put out, even if there was no room left. The store was colour coded one way in the summer and would have to change the opposite way in the winter. Merchandising was an endless battle. There's almost no training hours, these girls are expected to get it right away or within 2 weeks they're fired. Ridiculous, endless rules to follow and would change whenever it would suit the company. If they didn't like you they would get rid of you one way or the other. There is NO job security what so ever. The district supervisor's are a nightmare! So mean, lazy and they gossip about everyone, even in front of the person. The reason I stayed there so long is because they bullied me in to staying, making me think I wouldn't find a job. And they don't give references. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.
Pros
Great discount, nice jewelry
Cons
no work life balance for any staff member, can't call in sick
third key
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Maple, ONOctober 19, 2015
in the absence of manager, the key holder handles cash counters, collects the cash and deposit it in safe hands or in security lockers
Makes sure that all the employees are obeying the rules and regulation and are aware of the security affairs of the establishment
Pros
multitasking
Cons
Pretty store with a great manager.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2015
A typical day used to be busy. Had the first working experience here. Management was great. Co-workers were mostly great. Hardest part was physical pain. Helping customers with fashion was most enjoyable part.
Pros
Great manager, great co workers comfortable and fun work environment
Cons
no cons
already submitted??
Sales Associate/Third Key/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winkler, MBFebruary 29, 2016
*Five years of customer service experience in retail and food service
*Critical thinking
*Adaptability
*Motivated
*Integrity
fun
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 7, 2016
the people at ardene always made the day fun
the managers were fun
my fav part of the day was my break
the hours were always reasonable
Typical Retail Job
Sales Associate, Part-time (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016
For anyone that has worked or is currently in retail at the store-level, this was a very typical workplace. I was fortunate to have a reliable manager, which made the experience a good one.
Na
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKFebruary 1, 2016
On a typical day, we would all stock all the merchandise, tidied up the store. helped any costumers that needed help, also greeting as they came into the store.
Pros
worked around my school hours
Cons
short hours, staff werent that friendly
Retail
Shift Supervisor/Key Holder/Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
I worked full time as a key holder. We did lots of stock and I got along with most of my co-workers. I learned a lot of customer service. The hardest part of the job was trying not to have too much fun.
Productive and Enjoyable work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 12, 2015
A typical work day included assisting customers, and completing a work task that ideally should be completed at the end of my work shift. I gained customer service skills, and gained additional cashier experience. Management and co-workers were outstanding which made the work day even more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was trying to manage everything at once (i.e. assisting costumers, till, completing task, and cleaning duties). The most enjoyable part of this job was having such amazing people to work with.
Pros
Discounts, breaks
Cons
Slow business, therefore hours were cut
Fun workplace, Friendly CoWorkers, Okay Managment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJanuary 7, 2016
This job is pretty easy going. If you enjoy customer service and clothes this is the right job for you! Typically you spend your day Folding/Restocking merchandise. The Managment is okay.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Rude Customers
cult like tendencies
management (Former Employee) –  British ColumbiaOctober 3, 2014
Ardene in western canada runs like a cult. You are forced to do things that are inconvenient for you and your life, they make you feel that you are not going to get any better treatment in any other company anywhere else so you stay omongst all the abuse. Not to mention all of the HR breaches made by district supervisors. They are sure to have a large account at labour relations. Raise incentives are never given nor any acknowledgements in regards to pay increases.
Good environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCJanuary 5, 2016
Overall, it was a pleasure to work for this company. I am now looking for an employment where I can grow towards my ultimate goal to become a speech therapist and to expand my skill set.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
High employment turnover
Productive Work In Ardene
Key Holder, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 10, 2016
- knowing that customers appreciate the help that is given
- talking to customers letting them know that i can help and provide them with the requests they ask. (enjoyable)
Pros
learning and growing as a sales associate
Fast pace, forever changing, and exciting work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bay OntarioAugust 24, 2012
Being directly involved in the success of the store for 5+ years was always exciting. I learned to be a strong leader and truly enjoyed the responsibility that came with being in charge of such a large retail store. The hardest part of my job was keeping up with the volume of merchandise that came in weekly. I took strategic thinking and alot of merchandising to keep up. It became easier throughout the years but it was never without its challenges. All in all it helped keep it interesting. I learned there is always a way to make it work. The most enjoyable part of my job was managing my staff. I strived to keep harmony and a positive work environment. A happy staff is a motivated staff.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
it was a 45 min. drive from my home.
Fun, exiting work environment with busy atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 18, 2014
What I like most about this company is that they promote internally rather than external so there is always room to advance. The hardest part of the job is to not have too much fun. It is easy to grow close to your fellow employees and being the fun, bubbly person I am I have to always be professional. It is okay to have fun once in a while but i keep a balance. A daily work day includes putting out a fresh delivery of stock to keep the sales floor fully stocked as well as maintaining 100% customer service to our customers. Some days are hard but I really do enjoy the challenge. I work quite well in a busy environment and don't seem to get overwhelmed very easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the store being as busy as it is, I meet a lot of intersting customers. I love talking with people and get to know them as "people" rather than just "customers" and they are pleased when they return to the store that I remember them. This makes my day a lot brighter because I know my customer service is a success when they smile.
Pros
meeting lots of knew people
Cons
no raises
if you get a great staff you'll be ok
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nova ScotiaMay 7, 2014
Never saw my district manager ever!! When I called her she never called back to respond to my questions. Never had a raise in the 3 years I've been there. Rules change a lot, sometimes without your knowledge and you are faced with the consequences. Not a great place to advance. Great for young students in their teens who want a shift here or there.
Pros
the girls i managed were awesome, part of the reason i stayed so long
Cons
upper management, no raises, no support from anyone other than yourself
Pretty store to work in but too much work to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Typical duties: Unboxing and putting out new merchandise onto the sale's floor; cashiering, perform general maintenance of the merchandise
Friendly co-workers
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
No wage increase