Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Great work environment but co-worker drama is childish
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 22, 2016
This store strives for exceptional customer service and satisfaction without offering commission. I've learned a lot about stock, financial transactions and people in general. The overall work environment is pleasant, for the most part, there is a heavy deal of favoritism shown towards certain associates in comparison to others. Hardest part of the job is feeling ignored and hated by co-workers because you don't share their same viewpoints. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping a customer find an item of clothing in their size and having them smile at you.
Pros
Customer service
Cons
animosity
Not very productive and not very fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 20, 2016
-What I learned was to work as a cash register which I found very useful
-I also learned how to cope with customers which I found very easy
Pros
Many breaks
Cons
The work environment
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CanadaJune 8, 2016
Usually a day here was okay, however the customers were terrible. They would disrespect the workers and their hard work and throw clothes from the rack onto the floor. The management was okay but would do whatever they pleased at times as the only camera faced the cash desk. However the staff got imposed with many rules from the district manager that were stupid and didn't make sense.
staff is wonderful
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 1, 2016
constantly picking up merchandise off of the floor and cleaning up after customers
I've learned to have great patience
Management tries their best
staff is wonderful...I wouldn't make it through the day without them
a lot of price changes very often...lots of wall display changes and too much stock
working with my staff
Having fun with fashion and accessories was encouraged.
PART-IN-CHARGE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 29, 2016
They tried to have a fun upbeat atmosphere in all their stores. The teams styles varied with each store as personalizing your style with in the bounds of the dress code was encouraged.
difficult place to work with high expectations
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  BCMay 27, 2016
A typical day is unloading boxes, even if this gets in the way of customers shopping (also garbage bags are left anywhere too, which get in the way). The number one priority is getting the million boxes out of the back room and onto the overflowing, jam-packed store. You're not allowed to stand behind the counter, because "head office could be watching!". They do spontaneous visual audits, not to keep track of theft, but to make sure employees are putting out stock. If there is no stock, good luck. Just a lot of folding and refolding the massive piles of clothes. Management is allowed to "take out the garbage" multiple times per shift to take 10-15 minute smoke breaks, but if you step into the back room for 15 seconds to grab a drink of water while there is no one in the store, don't expect equal treatment. In my 4.5 years, I saw 5 different managers and countless employees. The managers fire employees for the smallest reasons. If the manager is short $5, it was "the computer's fault" but if you're short $5, expect to get written up. 3 write-up's or "infractions" is grounds for firing. A lot of passive aggressive note writing, especially if you choose to help customers over putting out stock for a few minutes.

They don't like to give you time off, even if you request far in advance, and no one else has requested it off.

I stuck here because it was a small town, and I was nearing my college graduation. I started the day the store opened in my town, and was the longest standing employee at this store.

Coworkers can be alright. Management typically has no training or
  more... understanding on how to interview, so coworkers are hit and miss. Some coworkers were super fun to work with and made the job somewhat bearable!

It's okay for a first job to gain experience. 4 hour shifts can go by quickly since you're spending so much time putting out stock.
Honestly, the most enjoyable part was the discount.

Overall, would not recommend this place to work at.
Pros
discount
Cons
basically everything else
It was a okay experience working here. I learned a lot about the ins and outs of retail.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
I worked here for a few months but then i quit. The short amount of time i worked here ( 6 months) ,there were about 7 new sales associates working there with me. People were always quitting, and the manager was manly to blame for this. She would always over -work her employees. She would give us a bunch of tasks to do while also keeping an eye out on the checkout desk as well as greeting every customer that walked into the store. She hardly did any of this, she would be in the back room doing " stuff". She would only rush out to answer the phone if it rang because she thought it could be head office, It was very unfair, that is why i quit and found another job.

Also you were not allowed to be sick, if you called in and said you were sick she would guilt you into coming to work. or force you somehow by saying " we need your keys " .. overall there was no respect given to the employees at the young and Eglinton Ardene location.
Stressful
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
It's fun to be around things i love (fashion) all day but the work could be a bit stressful sometimes.
you get amazing employee discounts.
Too strict dress code
Great way to get retail experience
Friendly management
Pros
Fashion
Cons
Low pay
Fun workplace with great co-worker relationships and flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 11, 2016
Ardene is a fantastic place to work. A typical day includes operating a cash register and handling money as well as distributing stock and helping customers. Management is overall very helpful and friendly towards all of its employees. There are many co-worker relations that blossom into long-time friendships. It is a great environment to learn the basis of retail and to create great employee-customer relations.
Upbeat workplace, with great staff
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2016
We mostly do stock and customer service. The management team is great, and my coworkers are bright women, with charming personalities.

The hardest part of the job would be the hours. I don't get enough. As a part-timer, I understand that I am not a priority for scheduling,but I still need to pay my bills (which is why I'm looking for new employment). The most enjoyable part of the job is the poeple I work with every day. They're trully wonderful ladies.
Pros
The staff all get along very well.
Cons
Not enough hours/low wages.
cashier/customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMay 6, 2016
operated cash and conducted customer transactions,advised customers on product choice, stocked shelves and inventory the products ,balanced till.
Challenging and fun atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
Management was very understanding and trained me well, and I was well prepared for the tasks assigned to me. I looked forward going to work, and liked working with my coworkers.
Productive, fun workplace to work at
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 5, 2016
Ardene's was simple and productive. We would communicate with all of the customers that visited and simply ask if they need any assistance. We would clean throughout the day as the store would need a little bit of getting tidied. The management was well done, it was honestly better than my past workplaces. My co-workers were enjoyable to be around and we all got along just perfectly well. The hardest part of working there was only having 1 break throughout an entire day. Which, I got used to as I am active on being on my feet. The enjoyable part of working there though, was that everyone around was friendly and that the work was easy enough to handle. If I had a chance to work there again, I'd take it back in a heartbeat.
Good to gain sales associate experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 5, 2016
I did not work with the company for long, but it was a good job. It was very simple, organizing clothes and jewelry along with engaging and promoting sales to customers.
Pros
discount on company products
Cons
not much flexibility
Good for first job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 4, 2016
Good for first job for teenagers. If you're looking for a career then its not for you. I have been there for 2 years, its hard to work with multiple girls.
Fast paced environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONApril 28, 2016
Customer service is always number one. Multi tasking is important in this job as it is very busy and there is a lot of stock to keep on top of. This job is ideal for someone who has excellent organizational skills.
Great team to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
-Not many hours to work
-part-time; only management gets full time
-hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive customers
-My manager is awesome she really cares about us and will stand behind us.
-co-workers are awesome and friendly for the most part, we all get along
-I've learnt how to deal with difficult and aggressive customers
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Almost no hours
Fun, love my co-workers
Sales Associate, Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONApril 17, 2016
I love working at Ardene - I have been there for a year and it's been one of the best jobs. I have worked at two different locations and all of my co-workers have been awesome people!
Pros
Clothing & accessories discounts
Fun and Social
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 14, 2016
Pretty busy location with lots of stock to merchandise. Fun to see what new products and clothing come in. Fast paced and customer service is priority.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Wage
Friendly work place, encouraging atmosphere, professional
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONApril 8, 2016
It was a very positive environment with great people. Always a task to do, and the shifts went by very fast. All in all a very good work experience.
Pros
Friendly staff