Ardene

Ardene Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (seasonal) (Former Employee), Ajax, ONAugust 26, 2015
Very productive and fun workplace. Surrounded by good co-workers and good management. I learned how to communicate with costumers on their needs. I also learned how to problem solve when a costumer was having difficulties in our store. I enjoyed every minute of working at Ardene.
Fun and wonderful
Asst. Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2015
It was really fun working in Ardene because you'll find different types of customers and you'll try to get along with them. I've learned so many things especially in managing employees (co-worker) and how to become a good team leader. I was very lucky that I found a wonderful and helpful manager and supervisor.
Hated this job
Third Key Holder (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Loved some of the staff
Cons: Long hours and hated the manager
This was my first retail job and i hated it. We went through two managers that were HORRIBLE. we always got so much stock. There was always drama, the supervisor did nothing to help the problem. All the manager did was gossip and talk down on people. The two managers were crazy and started unnecessary drama.They expected everyone to know everything without being taught. So many of the associates quit because of how she treated them. I didn't learn anything seeing how i wasn't taught anything. I would NOT recommend this job to anyone
fast paced enviourment, with productive management and long working hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee), southland mall reginaAugust 16, 2015
it started with cleaning the stores , opening and closing of till dealing with various customers and their problems related to exchange plicy or refund... explaining them regarding the company policy, giving good customer service achieving target goals keeping store management proper. assisting store manager to stocking the merchandising. overall its a hard physical fit job
Productive and Enjoyable work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Discounts, breaks
Cons: Slow business, therefore hours were cut
A typical work day included assisting customers, and completing a work task that ideally should be completed at the end of my work shift. I gained customer service skills, and gained additional cashier experience. Management and co-workers were outstanding which made the work day even more enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was trying to manage everything at once (i.e. assisting costumers, till, completing task, and cleaning duties). The most enjoyable part of this job was having such amazing people to work with.
Overall work experience
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Moncton, NBAugust 10, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Difficult customers
To be completely honest I love my job.
A typical day at work involves dealing with customers that don't give you any problems as opposed to the ones that do. I am able to keep a calm and positive attitude towards every customer that I come face to face with. I am constantly learning new things from all of my coworkers. I love my manager and assistant manager. My coworkers are all very positive and optimistic about their future with this company. All of my coworkers deal with customers in a very professional manner. The hardest part of the job is trying to distribute stock throughout the store and still manage to clean and deal with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with customers and getting to gain valuable life skills that will ultimately help you down the road.
Good coworkers but terrible management and expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 3, 2015
Pros: 30% discount and 50% off accessories, nice coworkers
Cons: long hours without breaks, always on your feet, stressful, have to check customers bags (very unsafe at times), deal with abuse from customers.
I worked here for a good 4 months, and then I couldn't take it any longer. I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, but we would all complain daily how much we hated this job and wanted to leave. The management pressured too much on the sales associAtes, and the district manager is horrible. There is no positive motivation, only threats. They threaten to send you home if you're not overworking yourself. They never tell you good job, only criticize what you do. They also made me clock out and continue to work for free multiple times. One girl refused and they fired her. So do not work here if you don't have to, it's a lot of stress. They also play favorites.
it was ok.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJuly 24, 2015
Pros: ok benefits, wonderful manager
Cons: miscommunication, drama etc.
my experience was alright..this was my first job,
management was really great some of my co-workers was wonderful sweet girls....our store had some drama between supervisor and third key...few miscommunication

overall though I learned a lot and accomplished few things while being there.
Mixed Feelings
Third Key (Former Employee), Ottawa ONJuly 14, 2015
Pros: The people I worked with.
Cons: District manager, corporate policies
My location had a fantastic group of girls that I worked with. They became like second sisters and we all had each others back. Only problem was the district manager who was not approachable and had favorites.

One of the more stressful retail positions that I worked, and a lot of manual heavy duty lifting and labor. Constantly being watched if you were not making a sale or approaching customers trying to get them to buy more. If it was not for the girls that worked there, it would have been less enjoyable to go into work each day.
GOOD FIRST JOB
Sale associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 8, 2015
Pros: FREE PIZZAS SOMETIMES
Cons: OTHER SALE ASSOCIATE BEHAVIOR
STARTING WITH GREETING AND CUSTOMER SERVICES
BEING PUNCTUAL AND RESPONSIBLE
MANAGEMENT WAS GREAT
GOOD ATMOSPHERE
THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART WAS DIRECTED TO THE FASHION SENSE OF THE SHOP.
great place to gain customer experience
Sales representative (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONJune 29, 2015
I worked seasonal; and although it was a short time frame the staff was inviting. I was a pleased to offer my wonderful self in order to help the company.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scarborough OntarioJune 24, 2015
Pros: Absolutely Nothing
Cons: Everything
Catty females who seem to hate their job, never smile.
Constant trash talking new employees for not being up to their "standard"
only 2- 3 People working on busy days
Talking badly about co workers on a daily basis
You cannot wear comfortable shoes to work in, they consider flats "stylish" but that is not comfortable for 8 hour shifts.
You will not go home in any means clean, you look like you swept the floor with your own clothing.
Expect you to know more then you were taught.
No where safe to keep your belongings, expect to be on break in the delivery room.
Expect you to finish a task in an un realistic time frame
Constantly getting ignored when asking for help
Return and exchange policy is horrible
The items we sold were extremely cheap, you could probably get better quality at the dollar store

This Job was a joke, I hated my life working there. I would cry going home every night. I could not wait to quit.

I dont understand how any body would enjoy working here unless they were one of the people who talked down on newer staff.
Fun, and exciting work enviroment.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Exciting team.
Cons: Constant stock
A typical day included placing new stock on the sales floor. Managing sales clients, and employees. I learned leadership skills, and how to maintain and manage a large store.
Ardene
Store Manager (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 16, 2015
Pros: good management, fun environment, always doing something new
Cons: not enough money.
I worked for Ardene for over 5 years, as management. i loved my job, but even as a manager, the pay was not high enough with my mortgage and car payments.
Great Team | Poor Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brossard, QCJune 14, 2015
Pros: Great People
Cons: Non-Flexible Hours
Truthfully, the people that I work with are great really. However, make sure that you have no kids, no personal life or not be sick. Because they treat work like it's the only thing to live for.
Terrible and Unrealistic expectations
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
Pros: decent wage ($16 starting wage) + commission
Cons: literally everything you can think of
The job places very unrealistic expectations on both associates and management, the direction from head office was changing constantly and creating an even larger workload. The company expects a lot to get done in a very short amount of time, like unpacking 20 boxes of stock in one 8 hour day while assisting customers and cashing them out. The store goes through managers and associates like nobody's business, the turnover rate is terrible and the company will cook up any excuse to infract you and terminate your employment if they decide they no longer want you working there. There is a lot of favouritism and no matter how hard you work if you're not a favourite you end up mistreated. The store manager and district supervisor talk down to people on a constant basis but are never held accountable for anything they do. The store is poorly run and the store manager speaks to customers like they are scum. The dress code is outdated and forces you to wear only clothes made by the company, including their jeans. You are expected to continue working even when clocked out and they refuse to pay you for that work.

Overall, I had high expectations upon entering this company but I would not recommend this job to anyone. It is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting and truly not worth the stress.
horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative-Third Key (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 4, 2015
Pros: discount on cheap merchandise and it was kinda fun to pierce ears
Cons: everything else
I worked there for almost a year and we went through 5 different managers, several assistant managers (whom I had to help train as a regular CSR) and our district manager kept bringing her siblings in to work at her locations instead of people who could and wanted to do the job. They were lazy, argued with eachother infront of customers, were rude to the staff...and nothing was done about this behaviour though it was known she had hired family.
Everything was completely disorganized, it was a pain to have to switch everything by colour for the seasons, especially the hair wall, the expectations were very unrealistic most especially on stock day, the merchandise falls apart, none of the people in charge can ever seem to want the same things in terms of presentation, the backstabbing was horrendous....just....dont work there. Its not worth the lousy pay.
fast paced retail environment.
sales associate (Current Employee), winnipegMay 28, 2015
Pros: employee discounts, great coworkers, fashion
Cons: bad-customers
Ardene is a very fast paced environment.
It really depends who ur store manager is; most are very productive and challenge u to acheive more. Others are slackers whom worked hard to get to that position and dwindle with the lack of promotional opportunities at that level. Usually they wont last long they will either leave the company or there will be a manager shift. If there is a complete issue reguarding the location and/or manager ask for a transfer as a second chance.

Coworkers are usually awesome people to get to know. There are a wide variety of laides and women that u may make some great friends.

My duties include using the cash register, helping open the store as well as close it. To clean the store, do my tasks as well as provide excellent customer service (in some cases ur customers dont appreciate it). Theift prevention is a must; as it is the job description to protect the companys assets.

tasks may include opening boxes or bags of packages of clothing and shoes. They also include merchandising (or moving) a wall, table or grill rack.

tasks are placed last on the pedistal. Customers are first. Therefore cleaning and maintaining the store becomes second with stopping ur task and asking customers questions while u tidy their mess.
Certain tasks have time limits though because the team works like a chain to get the merchandise on the floor.

It depends on the store but some back rooms are small and cannot hold the amount of merchandise the corporation sends; therefore they are crammed and/or messy with boxes and merchandise. This can be fixed easily – more... with time management between tasks and customers as well as being organized and working as a team.

What i valued most about this job is the flexibility. I have maintained going to college as well as being a new mom. Ive been with the company since 2013, the new scheduling system is the greatest. I have an app on my phone where im able to check my schedule in which the manager uploads. That they (now) follow the labour laws, u clock out when ur done no more staying late unpaid. Also the followed labour law of lunch break; ive worked for businesses that dont follow it.

It depends on who u are as a person. Some people like this work some people dont. In this case ardene has opened up a whole world or retail possibilities for me and anything that requires customer service.

(Side note: in other reviews it had stated that managers move up after 3 months. This is not true. The employee needs to show theyre ready for it with either hard work and little mistakes, or work there for more than a yr and request to move forward.) – less
Amazing First Job
Third Key (Current Employee), ScarboroughMay 25, 2015
A great starting place for someone looking for a job, I started four years ago, and it was my first job. It's been a great four years but I'd like a bit of change. Proficient with providing exceptional customer service, and increasing day to day sales to beat daily budgets.
A very unrealistically demanding job -not worth the stress
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Everything but the discounts
Ardene is not a job worth working minimum wage for.
This job is exhausting; emotionally, physically and mentally.

The managers/assistant managers will give you a task for the day such as; unpacking stock, organizing, folding, and hanging. While you do that task you're expected to keep your space in the store clean, while giving attention to each customer who passes by your area, AND be expected to be at the till before a customer approaches it when they're paying. AND TO TOP IT OFF.. they expect you to finish your task of the day for example... in 1 hour, when it really takes 3 hours to complete without the added tasks on top of it.
And when you don't finish your task before their unrealistic deadline they make you feel like you're not worth keeping at the company.
THE FUNNY THING ABOUT IT IS.... the managers/assistant managers will give you a task and deadline THAT THEY CAN'T EVEN ACCOMPLISH.

There's a lot of favouritism that happens within the staff and management, and it comes off very unprofessional. With that comes drama, it's like high school all over again. If you're disliked you're given the harder tasks, if you're liked you're given the easy tasks (the front greeter).

I've seen staff cry because of what ASSISTANT MANAGERS tell them, -fat shaming and bullying (verbal harassment). The line is crossed with professionalism when someone in management sets a horrible example to their other employees when it comes to respect. After that line is crossed it makes other employee's think they can talk like that to anyone -which they did.

There's also been – more... times where after close we were told to stay after being clocked out... aka unpaid. One time i had an event to attend and i was scheduled till 6:15, they told me to clock out, and finish cleaning a section in the store. I told the assistant manager that i don't have to work if i'm not going to get paid, stating my WORKERS RIGHTS. She then replied back to me with a threat that she would decrease my hours if i didn't stay.
I will honestly say that if I was given the respect that i deserved i wouldn't make a fuss about having to stay unpaid, but if I'm staying to work unpaid because someone else didn't finish their job and I'm paying for it.. then that's completely unfair.
ALSO... 15 minutes here and there, a couple times a week.. unpaid.. really does add up if you think about it - very very unfair.

I've had many many customer service jobs besides this one, and being a Waitress/Bartender you get to deal with a lot of emotional stress, but I've never had a job that i disliked as much as this one. It doesn't help that the stress/harassment isn't just from the customers, but management as well.

I don't recommend this job to anyone in my family, my friends or even my worse enemy.

100% Honest about my experience, good luck to those who would like to pursue this position. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Ardene

Ardène is a Canadian clothing and accessories retailer based in Montreal, Quebec. Ardène sells a variety of jewelry, – Read more