Ardene

Ardene Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A very unrealistically demanding job -not worth the stress
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 22, 2015
Pros: Discount
Cons: Everything but the discounts
Ardene is not a job worth working minimum wage for.
This job is exhausting; emotionally, physically and mentally.

The managers/assistant managers will give you a task for the day such as; unpacking stock, organizing, folding, and hanging. While you do that task you're expected to keep your space in the store clean, while giving attention to each customer who passes by your area, AND be expected to be at the till before a customer approaches it when they're paying. AND TO TOP IT OFF.. they expect you to finish your task of the day for example... in 1 hour, when it really takes 3 hours to complete without the added tasks on top of it.
And when you don't finish your task before their unrealistic deadline they make you feel like you're not worth keeping at the company.
THE FUNNY THING ABOUT IT IS.... the managers/assistant managers will give you a task and deadline THAT THEY CAN'T EVEN ACCOMPLISH.

There's a lot of favouritism that happens within the staff and management, and it comes off very unprofessional. With that comes drama, it's like high school all over again. If you're disliked you're given the harder tasks, if you're liked you're given the easy tasks (the front greeter).

I've seen staff cry because of what ASSISTANT MANAGERS tell them, -fat shaming and bullying (verbal harassment). The line is crossed with professionalism when someone in management sets a horrible example to their other employees when it comes to respect. After that line is crossed it makes other employee's think they can talk like that to anyone -which they did.

There's also been – more... times where after close we were told to stay after being clocked out... aka unpaid. One time i had an event to attend and i was scheduled till 6:15, they told me to clock out, and finish cleaning a section in the store. I told the assistant manager that i don't have to work if i'm not going to get paid, stating my WORKERS RIGHTS. She then replied back to me with a threat that she would decrease my hours if i didn't stay.
I will honestly say that if I was given the respect that i deserved i wouldn't make a fuss about having to stay unpaid, but if I'm staying to work unpaid because someone else didn't finish their job and I'm paying for it.. then that's completely unfair.
ALSO... 15 minutes here and there, a couple times a week.. unpaid.. really does add up if you think about it - very very unfair.

I've had many many customer service jobs besides this one, and being a Waitress/Bartender you get to deal with a lot of emotional stress, but I've never had a job that i disliked as much as this one. It doesn't help that the stress/harassment isn't just from the customers, but management as well.

I don't recommend this job to anyone in my family, my friends or even my worse enemy.

100% Honest about my experience, good luck to those who would like to pursue this position. – less
Unprofessional and disrespectful
Third key holder (Former Employee), Stratford ontarioNovember 4, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: shady company
Worked at ardene for 2 months before they blind sided me 1 month before my probation period was over and dismissed me, they accused me of forcing other employees to do my work, not listening to the manager and taking extra breaks, and get this going to the washroom too much! None of the things they had accused me of had I done nor heard a complaint or warning about and when I denied it they said to me in a snark voice "we have cameras" trying to intimidate me.. I came into work and was attacked randomly by the manager who is completely un professional, lacks communication skills, and is disorganized and is easily overwhelmed and the district supervisor who is rude and talks down to you, like you're a child. I was clearly terminated for personal reasons and not professional ones because the issues could have been easily fixed with communication, I felt while working there I was in highschool again all the girls would talk behind your back and backstab you to get more hours or get you in trouble, the environment is unsafe because the thermostat is broken making it insanely hot and dry which means you constantly get dehydrated and dizzy head office is aware but does nothing about it! I was not trained properly they did not have an assistant nor manager for a month of my team working there so we were trained by 3 different managers from Kitchener talk about dis organized!! The new manager is not professional at all ever since she was hired the store has fallen a part and it will crash and burn, Tracy should have never left her 12 year manager position the store is a complete mess – more... and people are being treated unfairly simply because the manager, assistant manager and supervisor think they are above everyone else because of their titles! I would not recommend anyone work at the Stratford ontario location or at any ardene this company is shady! – less
Horrible!
Third Keyholder (Former Employee), Camrose, ABOctober 11, 2014
Cons: long hours, no breaks, no staff, no remorse for family emergencies
I had ONE day of training as keyholder. There was only myself, the acting manager, and another sales floor associate working there at this time. I was working completely by myself 4/5 shifts. The acting manager had a horrible work ethic, came in late and expected me to work all the stock and help customers while she got to play around on her phone. The sales floor associate would work, but once she was done one task she never took the initiative to find something else to do, or to ask what to do. I never got ANY of my breaks working here. Not a 15, not half an hour or an hour for lunch, nothing. The district manager was SUPPOSED to come and work with me when I was scheduled alone, which was like I said 4/5 shifts. SHE WAS NEVER THERE FOR ME! The hardest part of my job? Doing everything by myself and not getting any breaks. Trying to provide customer service when you got couriers ringing the bell at the back to be let in, then trying to put stock out all at once by yourself just is not possible. I learned to not depend on other people for help, because when I did I was given the shaft. You were also expected to take the bank deposit, on your dime might I add, to the bank and deposit it ON YOUR TIME. So not only did I NOT get any breaks, I never got any compensation for driving across town to make the bank deposits! I did not enjoy any part of this job at all. They are always short staffed, and now I understand why. They do not care about their coworkers! My grandmother was on her deathbed, and I was told I had to come to work. That is why I no longer work at Ardene. Sure no breaks, – more... always alone, no guidance what so ever. You don't come between my family and I. My grandma died 2 days later after I quit. Quitting was the best thing I ever did! – less
Fun and productive work place, with great co-workers and management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 12, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, always something to do, fair break times
Cons: always on your feet, messy customers
A typical day at Ardene would involve, clocking in, checking the daily duties, find a task to do/do the task assigned to you, and finish it as fast and as neatly as possible, all while maintaining the store, and ensuring customers are being greeted, and helped with all enquiries.

I learned many valuable skills, such as efficiently multitasking, how to provide great customer service, and enjoying what challenges the day may bring.

Management was full of wonderful and admirable women, who would have no problem showing you the right and fun way to do things. They were easy to approach with any issues or questions I may have had, and I feel as though the connections I made with them were positive and strong.

My co-workers were also amazing women who made the day better by being so easy going, and friendly.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining the store. Sometimes you get so caught up finishing a task, or helping a customer, you don't notice the condition of the store. This is easily fixable, by taking breaks from your task to tidy, or if you notice something isn't in its place, take the time to fix it.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers. Nothing makes the day go by faster, than putting outfits together for the customer, and up-selling items that match with their desired look. I loved spending time ensuring they received exactly what they were looking for plus a little something extra that they didn't know they wanted, until I pointed it out!
Back Breaking Slave Drivers!
Manager (Former Employee), BCSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Great discount, nice jewelry
Cons: no work life balance for any staff member, can't call in sick
I was a manager at Ardene for almost 10 years. I liked being a manager, I liked my co-workers when they stayed. There was a high turn over rate. Its a lot of work. No work life/balance, your on call 24/7. If you're sick you can't call in because they will get mad and make you get a doctors note. Can't take holidays when you want to because there is a lot of black out periods. Constant floor changes on a moments notice, which needed to be done asap during store hours. And if you are a customer you know exactly what that entails- moving tables, shoes from one end of the wall to the other etc. Boxes of stock that needed to be put out, even if there was no room left. The store was colour coded one way in the summer and would have to change the opposite way in the winter. Merchandising was an endless battle. There's almost no training hours, these girls are expected to get it right away or within 2 weeks they're fired. Ridiculous, endless rules to follow and would change whenever it would suit the company. If they didn't like you they would get rid of you one way or the other. There is NO job security what so ever. The district supervisor's are a nightmare! So mean, lazy and they gossip about everyone, even in front of the person. The reason I stayed there so long is because they bullied me in to staying, making me think I wouldn't find a job. And they don't give references. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy.
Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2014
Cons: long hours, rude managers, no respect for employees, under paid.
This Job was in a very busy mall in the Transcona area so there was many customers.
The customer's weren't the problem in this place, The management was.
When I was first interviewed I was asked if I could take criticism easily because the assistant manager criticised the employees a lot. I didn't think anything of it untill I started working there.
The assistant manager wasn't a person to criticize what you were doing but she was an abusive person. On many occasions she cursed at me and called me derogatory names. It was always a put down. I eventually learned from my coworkers that she was treating everyone like that.
She would also make me leave my shift to go to other stores in the mall to buy her food and drinks.
She would sometimes even come to work and just sit in the back the whole time and sleep and go for smokes just to rack up her hours.
I complained to my manager and the district manager and to the company itself but no one even responded to me. To my disbelief she is still working there.

The back room is very small and is crammed with boxes to the point where the emergency exit is blocked. The only time it is ever cleaned is when it's going to be inspected and then the next day it's completely messy again. This is a safety hazard.

The hours were long and I was under paid for the things I had to deal with.

My suggestion is to stay far away from this store. Don't work here. It is not worth it.
Terrible and Unrealistic expectations
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2015
Pros: decent wage ($16 starting wage) + commission
Cons: literally everything you can think of
The job places very unrealistic expectations on both associates and management, the direction from head office was changing constantly and creating an even larger workload. The company expects a lot to get done in a very short amount of time, like unpacking 20 boxes of stock in one 8 hour day while assisting customers and cashing them out. The store goes through managers and associates like nobody's business, the turnover rate is terrible and the company will cook up any excuse to infract you and terminate your employment if they decide they no longer want you working there. There is a lot of favouritism and no matter how hard you work if you're not a favourite you end up mistreated. The store manager and district supervisor talk down to people on a constant basis but are never held accountable for anything they do. The store is poorly run and the store manager speaks to customers like they are scum. The dress code is outdated and forces you to wear only clothes made by the company, including their jeans. You are expected to continue working even when clocked out and they refuse to pay you for that work.

Overall, I had high expectations upon entering this company but I would not recommend this job to anyone. It is mentally, physically and emotionally exhausting and truly not worth the stress.
Terrible Managment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Brandon, MBNovember 30, 2015
Managment was the worst part of this job. I started off in this job as an assistant manager, but the store manager was a dud, she has no idea how to be a manager at all. She can't run a store and make good decisions and she doesn't know how to treat her employees half the time and her customer service was probably the worst out of all the employees in the store.The district supervisor wasn't too bad but she wasn't the best. She was rude most of the time and instead of telling the employees to their face what she wanted done in the store she would write a note and leave it by the cash counter assuming everyone would read it , when she could have said somethign to each of us, as she was in our store for an entire day...
The dress code is quite nice, as you can wear what you want. But the fact you can not wear sneakers or anything comfy on your feet is just plain cruel in my opinion.
The other employees were the best part of this job. And the rare customer you got in the store that was actually appreciative that you helped them out to find what they needed. Although most employees were scared to do anything, especially at the till, without approval from the store manager or the district supervisor, because they thought they would lose their job for something silly and small. Which, in my opinion, isn't worth it. To all you part time Ardene workers, don't stress out about it, get a new job if you have to.. No part time job should stress you out that much and make you scared to lose it. Let it go.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scarborough OntarioJune 24, 2015
Pros: Absolutely Nothing
Cons: Everything
Catty females who seem to hate their job, never smile.
Constant trash talking new employees for not being up to their "standard"
only 2- 3 People working on busy days
Talking badly about co workers on a daily basis
You cannot wear comfortable shoes to work in, they consider flats "stylish" but that is not comfortable for 8 hour shifts.
You will not go home in any means clean, you look like you swept the floor with your own clothing.
Expect you to know more then you were taught.
No where safe to keep your belongings, expect to be on break in the delivery room.
Expect you to finish a task in an un realistic time frame
Constantly getting ignored when asking for help
Return and exchange policy is horrible
The items we sold were extremely cheap, you could probably get better quality at the dollar store

This Job was a joke, I hated my life working there. I would cry going home every night. I could not wait to quit.

I dont understand how any body would enjoy working here unless they were one of the people who talked down on newer staff.
workplace summary, experiences and thoughts
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: great co-workers and customers
Cons: management could have been improved
A typical day at work is a busy day, filled with positive and energized people and co-workers intending to make sales and help customers with their needs and just have a good day in general. I learned a lot about customer service and how to work well under pressure, how to keep calm as well as how to encourage customers to buy items and merchandise by letting them know about sales and new arrivals. I personally think that the management could have been more organized and critical but overall it was basic. My co-workers were very helpful when I was in need of help and were very up-lifting with the positive attitudes they acquired. They encouraged me to push myself to my limits and to try the best I can in every situation that occurs in the work place. The hardest part of the job was merchandising the visual display in the beginning, as it was my first retail job, but with the lending hands of my co-workers I quickly mastered it and I enjoyed setting up the display areas afterwards. The most enjoyable part of the job(s) that I have done was learning in a positive environment, with positive people, and with my positive outlook, I had a positive outcome and I still do in the retail area as well as a cashier. I also enjoyed being in the retail workforce simply because I love fashion and know quite a bit about fashion too.
horrible place to work
Customer Service Representative-Third Key (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 4, 2015
Pros: discount on cheap merchandise and it was kinda fun to pierce ears
Cons: everything else
I worked there for almost a year and we went through 5 different managers, several assistant managers (whom I had to help train as a regular CSR) and our district manager kept bringing her siblings in to work at her locations instead of people who could and wanted to do the job. They were lazy, argued with eachother infront of customers, were rude to the staff...and nothing was done about this behaviour though it was known she had hired family.
Everything was completely disorganized, it was a pain to have to switch everything by colour for the seasons, especially the hair wall, the expectations were very unrealistic most especially on stock day, the merchandise falls apart, none of the people in charge can ever seem to want the same things in terms of presentation, the backstabbing was horrendous....just....dont work there. Its not worth the lousy pay.
Worst place to work
Third Key Holder (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: 30% to 50% discount
Cons: no pay increases, unpredictable hours, does not give references, under staffed, does not allow you to go back to school, does not hire men
I do not recommend working here, not even to my worst enemy.
The pay is extremely low; the lowest I've ever encountered in any retail job. Benefits are only given to Managers and Assistant Managers as well as pay increases. I have only been making minimum wage for 3 years!
I will be going back to school soon, and since Ardene does not demote employees, my supervisor has asked me to quit.
I've also been informed that Ardene does not give references so working for them is entirely pointless.
I love the customers but the hours are rediculous. You are often expected to work 12 hour shift five days a week then the following month you might get 3 shifts four hour shifts a week. They care more about their wage cost then their employees. I have been asked serveral times to work late while not on the clock because they are under staffed and can't afford to pay me.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
Fun, exiting work environment with busy atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: meeting lots of knew people
Cons: no raises
What I like most about this company is that they promote internally rather than external so there is always room to advance. The hardest part of the job is to not have too much fun. It is easy to grow close to your fellow employees and being the fun, bubbly person I am I have to always be professional. It is okay to have fun once in a while but i keep a balance. A daily work day includes putting out a fresh delivery of stock to keep the sales floor fully stocked as well as maintaining 100% customer service to our customers. Some days are hard but I really do enjoy the challenge. I work quite well in a busy environment and don't seem to get overwhelmed very easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is that the store being as busy as it is, I meet a lot of intersting customers. I love talking with people and get to know them as "people" rather than just "customers" and they are pleased when they return to the store that I remember them. This makes my day a lot brighter because I know my customer service is a success when they smile.
Good coworkers but terrible management and expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 3, 2015
Pros: 30% discount and 50% off accessories, nice coworkers
Cons: long hours without breaks, always on your feet, stressful, have to check customers bags (very unsafe at times), deal with abuse from customers.
I worked here for a good 4 months, and then I couldn't take it any longer. I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, but we would all complain daily how much we hated this job and wanted to leave. The management pressured too much on the sales associAtes, and the district manager is horrible. There is no positive motivation, only threats. They threaten to send you home if you're not overworking yourself. They never tell you good job, only criticize what you do. They also made me clock out and continue to work for free multiple times. One girl refused and they fired her. So do not work here if you don't have to, it's a lot of stress. They also play favorites.
Worst management team.
sales associate (Former Employee), 429- Danforth, TorontoFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: not hard
Cons: boring, poor management styles
Poorly trained so they themselves cannot train other's well. Horrible at communication with customers and staff. I had an extremely rude and condescending manager so RUN from Ardene @ VP/Danforth in Toronto. I was not trained on cash or anything else for that matter, taught myself by shadowing. Was terminated two days before my three month probation was done because on one occasion i forgot my name tag due to a situation which was out of my control (Which apparently means you can not work) and it didn't matter that i never missed a shift before or that i had a valid reason. Work environment is fine, co-workers vary. Hardest part about the job was going 8 hours with nothing to really do but talk to the few customers and roam up and down the store tidying the very little mess there was.
Do not recommend unless you are desperate for a job
sales associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 15, 2016
Pros: Some girls are actually really nice
Cons: Everything else
The only reason I stayed there is because I desperately needed money. They don't train you at all and complain for any little thing you do wrong. The dress code is extremely strict for a fashion store.
Managers and supervisors don't do **** but talking behind other coworkers back. If you're a sales associate, be prepare to do everyone else job. You only have a 30 min break ( no small breaks of 15 mins ) for an 8 hour shift. Girls who've worked longer than you at the store think they're queens and that they can treat you miserably.Most managers and supervisors are hypocrites...they're the real life version of Mean Girls. They either make you work 10 days in a row or make you don't work for 2 weeks straight. The only good thing about it is that some girls are actually really nice ( made some friends) and that when it's time to get out the garbage you can sneak out to smoke a cigarette.
A very inviting work environment with great management and staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 24, 2013
Pros: we had great mangement
Cons: we left the store late sometimes if the store wasn't clean enough.
A typical day at work includes welcoming customers that come inside the store, helping them to find their various items within the store and working at the cash register. As a result, I learnt great problem solving skills as it relates to customer satisfaction and I've learnt to put my customers first. Both managers were really great, they did a good job and they still found time to build a relationship with myself and other employees. My co-workers were also very friendly and hard-working and we could rely on each other when needed. The hardest part of the job was keeping the store clean while attending to customers during peak periods like Christmas and summer holidays. However, most experiences were enjoyable. I enjoyed meeting new people who came into the store and serving them and seeing that smile on their face when they were pleased.
Fun and generally fast paced enviroment
Key Holder (Former Employee), Kingston, ONNovember 27, 2014
Pros: always kept busy
Cons: not enough staff to keep up a lot of the time
A typical day at Ardene involved a lot of customer interaction and merchandising. The location I was employed at was an Ardene outlet and we often received upwards of 100 boxes of stock a week and were encouraged to not have anything in the back room.

My manager was a lovely energetic woman who does a great job at keeping everyone on task while always cultivating a positive environment. My co-workers and I got along perfectly and it made for a great place to go almost every day.

The hardest part of the job was always dealing with an over flow of stock or just the struggles of dealing with a customer who doesn't feel their experience has been positive. The most enjoyable part of my job was always getting to put the stock on the floor and seeing it come together, and when a customer came in and I could help them find what they needed, that was always a great feeling.
Retail Store that lively
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 5, 2012
Pros: making the sales target and getting bounses.
Cons: it could be really busy expressly around christmas.
Ardene is retail store that i used to managed. I had about 5-6 Staff members including myself working at i fun accessory store. What was hard about my job was coaching my staff to upsell and cross sell. I did hire some with no experience and some experience so that it would be challenge and learning experience for eveyone. when the store was slow we still had to come with creative ideas to get multi-sales so that we can meet our montly sales target. It was never boring but the location where i work made it feel like drag at times. I will also had to do theft preventation so that the cost of productively will not go down, keeping the store image clean and appealing so it would invite customers to come in and shop. also monitoring sales and staff was a big part of my job and counting the till making sure it balances every night and deposting money in to the bank.
Horrible Experience, Bad management and organization
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Polo park, WinnipegNovember 27, 2014
Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: everything
Day one of the job I walked in excited and ready to start a new job, the assistant manager who interviewed and hired me asked if I was there to drop off a resume. I had never felt so insulted, I began my "orientation" by being put straight to work with no training at all. I was told the manager would be in later to begin "orientation". A girl who I presumed was another assistant manager barked at me for not doing stuff right and had a girl watch and make sure I did what i was told. Nobody showed me how to punch in and out, I ended up working longer than scheduled. Got in trouble for not watching the time ( I had no watch or clock to view). Their was no communication between the assistant who hired me and management, I had no idea who was the manager until I gave my resignation. It was the worst working experience i've ever encountered, I felt so unwelcome working there and will not recommend anyone work there.