Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 31, 2015
If you want to be over worked and underpaid this is the job for you. Management was awful and constantly had a revolving door of employees because of it. The work itself is alright and your coworkers and customers are awesome people. Expectations are too high for such little staff. You will never get a raise, ever. The wage you start out with is the wage you are going to have forever more. If you are required to do other job duties that are not in your specific description you will not be compensated ie: doing third key and getting paid as a sales associate.
Pros
the music, customers, coworkers
Cons
short breaks, no raises
Really only one con
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 29, 2016
I was hired as a temp manager to replace someone on mat leave..its been two months and I love it. Great team, always something to do. My supervisor is a great person. Very easy to talk to and get along with, never had any issues with her.
The only con is the pay..and no benefits for 6 months!
Pros
No pressure
Cons
No benefits only half hour lunch break
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLFebruary 29, 2016
I had many tasks to do at Ardene, between being a cashier, sales rep, folding clothes, doing stock or cleaning. There was always a job for you to do. I really enjoyed the staff they had there, they were really welcoming. The hardest part of the job was customers that were picky in clothing. Trying to find things in the store that matched a customers personality, being picky and all, was very challenging but it taught us how to approach the next person. The atmosphere was very bright and colorful. We were all very happy and enjoyed each other presence. The management was great.
Pros
Doing your own thing while still being a top co-worker
Cons
Long hours with short breaks
It's not a bad place to work, it's ok
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJune 29, 2016
I do like working there, but there are some things that need to change.
1. There is never enough staff
2. I'm always doing the jobs of two people for one wage
3. Managers/assistsnt managers need to ease up a bit, especially when we are short staffed. I think they really don't realize how hard we actually work.
4. The managers/assistant managers/key holders need to abide by company policy, it is not fair to us " part timers" that ONLY get 15 minute breaks or a 30 minute lunch, where the higher ups take liberties of longer than allowed breaks.
They need to set better examples than what I've seen.
5. Hours are ok, but the hourly scheduling needs a major improvement.
Pros
Good discounts, friendly co-workers
Cons
No raises, no acknowlegement on a job well done, and some of the rules are a bit outragous.
Would not work here.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 19, 2016
Probably one of the worst companies to work for, they don't care about you or what's going on in your life. They expect you to be available 24/7 no matter what.
The manger will always be in the back room doing who knows what, but god forbid you to go to the back room to grab a drink or go to the washroom.
If the phone rings, don't even try to answer it because one of the mangers will try and say it's "head office, or the district manager" when really it's a personal phone call.
don't even try to take off work because you'll get denied because "not enough people can cover your shift"
if you ever get written up expect your breach of policy paper to come in a month, because it takes a month to "fill out"

I mean if you like to be treated like your 5 years old this job is perfect for you.
Oh and your manager might look through your purse while your working to make sure your phone isn't gone.
Pros
Ablosulty nothing
Cons
Pretty much everything, management, can't work around your schedule.
Productive, fun workplace to work at
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABMay 5, 2016
Ardene's was simple and productive. We would communicate with all of the customers that visited and simply ask if they need any assistance. We would clean throughout the day as the store would need a little bit of getting tidied. The management was well done, it was honestly better than my past workplaces. My co-workers were enjoyable to be around and we all got along just perfectly well. The hardest part of working there was only having 1 break throughout an entire day. Which, I got used to as I am active on being on my feet. The enjoyable part of working there though, was that everyone around was friendly and that the work was easy enough to handle. If I had a chance to work there again, I'd take it back in a heartbeat.
It was a okay experience working here. I learned a lot about the ins and outs of retail.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 16, 2016
I worked here for a few months but then i quit. The short amount of time i worked here ( 6 months) ,there were about 7 new sales associates working there with me. People were always quitting, and the manager was manly to blame for this. She would always over -work her employees. She would give us a bunch of tasks to do while also keeping an eye out on the checkout desk as well as greeting every customer that walked into the store. She hardly did any of this, she would be in the back room doing " stuff". She would only rush out to answer the phone if it rang because she thought it could be head office, It was very unfair, that is why i quit and found another job.

Also you were not allowed to be sick, if you called in and said you were sick she would guilt you into coming to work. or force you somehow by saying " we need your keys " .. overall there was no respect given to the employees at the young and Eglinton Ardene location.
All around, terrible company.
Third key (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Manager didn't properly train, you were just thrown into it and if you messed up then you definitely got punished.

The company its self is garbage. You'd get a message 5 minutes before closing to change basically everything. They also don't stand behind their products nor employees. If you can get thrown under the bus, you will.

Don't expect any professionalism.
Also, they didn't train anyone on piercing ears, you were just kind of thrown to the wolves once a customer comes in.
Pros
none.
Cons
management, upper management, poor training, poor products, lack of professionalism, company treats customers better than employees, which says something.
multitasking with stock and customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 27, 2016
working as a assistant manager at ardene i have learned new things like beating our sales everyday making sure what our goal is to beat last years sales. having more responsibilities when dealing with agrivating customers. making sure your staff is working as a team and completing all tasks like stock. And making sure they are all helping customers.
Pros
getting bonus on your pay each month if u beat your sales target
Cons
doing stock during the day and helping customers at the same time
Love fashion, but change in managers made it not a fun place to work anymore
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABJuly 9, 2016
Ardene was a great place to work, full of fashion and great people. Recently the store has become under new management and it turned to mood of the whole store around. The Lloydminster location just is not for me anymore, the new management hired all new employees and going to work in an unhappy environment is not what i want anymore. I did very much enjoy it before the new management.
Pros
Fashion, Interacting with customers, great co-workers
Cons
New management
Good coworkers but terrible management and expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 3, 2015
I worked here for a good 4 months, and then I couldn't take it any longer. I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, but we would all complain daily how much we hated this job and wanted to leave. The management pressured too much on the sales associAtes, and the district manager is horrible. There is no positive motivation, only threats. They threaten to send you home if you're not overworking yourself. They never tell you good job, only criticize what you do. They also made me clock out and continue to work for free multiple times. One girl refused and they fired her. So do not work here if you don't have to, it's a lot of stress. They also play favorites.
Pros
30% discount and 50% off accessories, nice coworkers
Cons
long hours without breaks, always on your feet, stressful, have to check customers bags (very unsafe at times), deal with abuse from customers.
Upbeat workplace, with great staff
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 7, 2016
We mostly do stock and customer service. The management team is great, and my coworkers are bright women, with charming personalities.

The hardest part of the job would be the hours. I don't get enough. As a part-timer, I understand that I am not a priority for scheduling,but I still need to pay my bills (which is why I'm looking for new employment). The most enjoyable part of the job is the poeple I work with every day. They're trully wonderful ladies.
Pros
The staff all get along very well.
Cons
Not enough hours/low wages.
it was ok.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 24, 2015
my experience was alright..this was my first job,
management was really great some of my co-workers was wonderful sweet girls....our store had some drama between supervisor and third key...few miscommunication

overall though I learned a lot and accomplished few things while being there.
Pros
ok benefits, wonderful manager
Cons
miscommunication, drama etc.
A Wonderful and positive company
3rd Key/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 17, 2016
Working within this company has had a positive impact in my work environment, I have learned how to approach and handle unsatisfied customers along with creating a positive relationship with customers whom, in return become reoccurring shoppers. Management has taught me leadership skills, as well as assisting me into growing within the company. I enjoy working with my co-workers, creating a positive work place.
Pros
Staff
Cons
N\A
Fun workplace with great co-worker relationships and flexible hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 11, 2016
Ardene is a fantastic place to work. A typical day includes operating a cash register and handling money as well as distributing stock and helping customers. Management is overall very helpful and friendly towards all of its employees. There are many co-worker relations that blossom into long-time friendships. It is a great environment to learn the basis of retail and to create great employee-customer relations.
Terrible Experience
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJuly 14, 2016
They barely take any time to train but are very quick to point out what a person is doing wrong. I didn't last even through my probation period I got so fed up with arriving only to be criticized and told everything I was doing was wrong I quit. I don't recommend this placement for a first job or you if take longer to become accustomed to new responsibilities or to a new environment.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Terrible Training Procedures
Do not recommend unless you are desperate for a job
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 15, 2016
The only reason I stayed there is because I desperately needed money. They don't train you at all and complain for any little thing you do wrong. The dress code is extremely strict for a fashion store.
Managers and supervisors don't do **** but talking behind other coworkers back. If you're a sales associate, be prepare to do everyone else job. You only have a 30 min break ( no small breaks of 15 mins ) for an 8 hour shift. Girls who've worked longer than you at the store think they're queens and that they can treat you miserably.Most managers and supervisors are hypocrites...they're the real life version of Mean Girls. They either make you work 10 days in a row or make you don't work for 2 weeks straight. The only good thing about it is that some girls are actually really nice ( made some friends) and that when it's time to get out the garbage you can sneak out to smoke a cigarette.
Pros
Some girls are actually really nice
Cons
Everything else
It was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  CanadaJune 8, 2016
Usually a day here was okay, however the customers were terrible. They would disrespect the workers and their hard work and throw clothes from the rack onto the floor. The management was okay but would do whatever they pleased at times as the only camera faced the cash desk. However the staff got imposed with many rules from the district manager that were stupid and didn't make sense.
Organized, productive workplace
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, ABJune 26, 2016
I learned how to be a sales associate and how to properly organize the displays by colour/style. Management was professional but also very friendly and understanding. My co-workers were easy to work with and everyone did their part. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help customers pick out clothing they like
Great team to work with
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 27, 2016
-Not many hours to work
-part-time; only management gets full time
-hardest part of the job is dealing with aggressive customers
-My manager is awesome she really cares about us and will stand behind us.
-co-workers are awesome and friendly for the most part, we all get along
-I've learnt how to deal with difficult and aggressive customers
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Almost no hours

2.7