Ardene Employee Reviews in Canada

Meh
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKDecember 31, 2015
If you want to be over worked and underpaid this is the job for you. Management was awful and constantly had a revolving door of employees because of it. The work itself is alright and your coworkers and customers are awesome people. Expectations are too high for such little staff. You will never get a raise, ever. The wage you start out with is the wage you are going to have forever more. If you are required to do other job duties that are not in your specific description you will not be compensated ie: doing third key and getting paid as a sales associate.
Pros
the music, customers, coworkers
Cons
short breaks, no raises
Really only one con
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 29, 2016
I was hired as a temp manager to replace someone on mat leave..its been two months and I love it. Great team, always something to do. My supervisor is a great person. Very easy to talk to and get along with, never had any issues with her.
The only con is the pay..and no benefits for 6 months!
Pros
No pressure
Cons
No benefits only half hour lunch break
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLFebruary 29, 2016
I had many tasks to do at Ardene, between being a cashier, sales rep, folding clothes, doing stock or cleaning. There was always a job for you to do. I really enjoyed the staff they had there, they were really welcoming. The hardest part of the job was customers that were picky in clothing. Trying to find things in the store that matched a customers personality, being picky and all, was very challenging but it taught us how to approach the next person. The atmosphere was very bright and colorful. We were all very happy and enjoyed each other presence. The management was great.
Pros
Doing your own thing while still being a top co-worker
Cons
Long hours with short breaks
Good coworkers but terrible management and expectations
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 3, 2015
I worked here for a good 4 months, and then I couldn't take it any longer. I really enjoyed most of my coworkers, but we would all complain daily how much we hated this job and wanted to leave. The management pressured too much on the sales associAtes, and the district manager is horrible. There is no positive motivation, only threats. They threaten to send you home if you're not overworking yourself. They never tell you good job, only criticize what you do. They also made me clock out and continue to work for free multiple times. One girl refused and they fired her. So do not work here if you don't have to, it's a lot of stress. They also play favorites.
Pros
30% discount and 50% off accessories, nice coworkers
Cons
long hours without breaks, always on your feet, stressful, have to check customers bags (very unsafe at times), deal with abuse from customers.
it was ok.
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 24, 2015
my experience was alright..this was my first job,
management was really great some of my co-workers was wonderful sweet girls....our store had some drama between supervisor and third key...few miscommunication

overall though I learned a lot and accomplished few things while being there.
Pros
ok benefits, wonderful manager
Cons
miscommunication, drama etc.
All around, terrible company.
Third key (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONFebruary 10, 2016
Manager didn't properly train, you were just thrown into it and if you messed up then you definitely got punished.

The company its self is garbage. You'd get a message 5 minutes before closing to change basically everything. They also don't stand behind their products nor employees. If you can get thrown under the bus, you will.

Don't expect any professionalism.
Also, they didn't train anyone on piercing ears, you were just kind of thrown to the wolves once a customer comes in.
Pros
none.
Cons
management, upper management, poor training, poor products, lack of professionalism, company treats customers better than employees, which says something.
A Wonderful and positive company
3rd Key/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 17, 2016
Working within this company has had a positive impact in my work environment, I have learned how to approach and handle unsatisfied customers along with creating a positive relationship with customers whom, in return become reoccurring shoppers. Management has taught me leadership skills, as well as assisting me into growing within the company. I enjoy working with my co-workers, creating a positive work place.
Pros
Staff
Cons
N\A
Do not recommend unless you are desperate for a job
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 15, 2016
The only reason I stayed there is because I desperately needed money. They don't train you at all and complain for any little thing you do wrong. The dress code is extremely strict for a fashion store.
Managers and supervisors don't do **** but talking behind other coworkers back. If you're a sales associate, be prepare to do everyone else job. You only have a 30 min break ( no small breaks of 15 mins ) for an 8 hour shift. Girls who've worked longer than you at the store think they're queens and that they can treat you miserably.Most managers and supervisors are hypocrites...they're the real life version of Mean Girls. They either make you work 10 days in a row or make you don't work for 2 weeks straight. The only good thing about it is that some girls are actually really nice ( made some friends) and that when it's time to get out the garbage you can sneak out to smoke a cigarette.
Pros
Some girls are actually really nice
Cons
Everything else
Worst place to work
Third Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
I do not recommend working here, not even to my worst enemy.
The pay is extremely low; the lowest I've ever encountered in any retail job. Benefits are only given to Managers and Assistant Managers as well as pay increases. I have only been making minimum wage for 3 years!
I will be going back to school soon, and since Ardene does not demote employees, my supervisor has asked me to quit.
I've also been informed that Ardene does not give references so working for them is entirely pointless.
I love the customers but the hours are rediculous. You are often expected to work 12 hour shift five days a week then the following month you might get 3 shifts four hour shifts a week. They care more about their wage cost then their employees. I have been asked serveral times to work late while not on the clock because they are under staffed and can't afford to pay me.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
30% to 50% discount
Cons
no pay increases, unpredictable hours, does not give references, under staffed, does not allow you to go back to school, does not hire men
Great customer service experience but poor management
sales associate (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, mbSeptember 23, 2015
Working at Ardene helped me gain experience with my customer service skills. A typical day at Ardene would have me responsible of the fitting rooms, where I had to open the fitting room door with a key for a customer and count how many items they had and rested by the fitting rooms for when the customer needed another size. The hours were good but not flexible once school started up.The hardest part of my job was when the pace would pick up and I had to keep my area clean meanwhile still being attended on the fitting rooms. I quit Ardene due to very poor management and because I felt mistreated and disrespected at times by the manager and the assistant manager. The manager is very rude and unprofessional. My co workers were very friendly and respectful. The only thing I enjoyed about working at Ardene was my friendly co workers.
Pros
fun coworkers and discounts
Cons
short lunches and poor management
WORST job I've ever had
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  ManitobaOctober 27, 2015
One of those jobs you get paid peanuts for working your butt off everyday, with no acknowledgment or appreciation. The management may know lots about the company, but have no clue how to manage staff (I highly doubt anyone received any training regarding that). They just don't care about their employees and it shows.

"A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation"
Pros
busy environment, good staff
Cons
bad management, low pay
Hated this job
Third Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2015
This was my first retail job and i hated it. We went through two managers that were HORRIBLE. we always got so much stock. There was always drama, the supervisor did nothing to help the problem. All the manager did was gossip and talk down on people. The two managers were crazy and started unnecessary drama.They expected everyone to know everything without being taught. So many of the associates quit because of how she treated them. I didn't learn anything seeing how i wasn't taught anything. I would NOT recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Loved some of the staff
Cons
Long hours and hated the manager
An okay place to work
Sales Associate/3rd Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONJanuary 23, 2016
I enjoyed my job at Ardene, but not some of the people I worked with. The management was horrible, things were not fair and there was a lot of favoritism. Certain things that should have been taking seriously were not.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Employees worked with
good place to be
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
typical day was great, time management is key. Also communication with the customers is a big part of ARDENE. The sales associates are really great and are very enthusiastic.
Productive and friendly work enviorment with good co-workers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONDecember 11, 2015
Working at Ardene was a great experience. I grew alot within the company, I started off as a retail cashier then moved up to third key, then assistant manager. I learned alot about management and about the scheduling, bank runs and about how to set up the store with the merchandise.
Gained management experience
Key holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2015
As a full-time job provided advancement throughout company, district manager frequently visited to ensure everything was in working order. Employees and consumers were generally younger, was satisfactory for the time being.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
Not professional work place
very organized, and stricked
Sales Clerk (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Working at Ardenes was my first job, and i felt like i didn't fit in. The management was awesome, but there rules were very strick ex. dress code.
Pros
nice people i worked with
Cons
very stricked, and one way
working
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 3, 2016
I enjoyed working there and some days and hated it on other. I enjoyed interacting with the customer. I learned that you don't have to be a manager to bring co workers together and to help eliminate drama
Pros
meet great people
Cons
management was not always the best
Customer Service oriented
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 1, 2016
Ardene is customer service oriented. Team environment. Fast paced, sales environment. Management is helpful when associates need guidance.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 3, 2016
Its was cool to meet a lot of people.
Had great environment with my co-workers.
Stress management it was okay, not so hard to handle it.