Ardene

Ardene Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and diverse environment with some room for advancement
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Current Employee), Surrey, B.C.May 20, 2015
Working at Ardene I have learned to balance work and school more efficiently. I am able to maintain a healthy relationship with all my co-workers and management. At Ardene there is plenty of room for advancement which I appreciate. The hardest part about this job is the unexpected customer complaints, but the most enjoyable part is being able to learn how to fix those problems and what future procedures to take to better my problem solving skills.
difficult position
Sales associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABMay 12, 2015
I started at this position at a slow time of the year which gave me the opportunity to take my time while training to learn every aspect of the job. 4 weeks after accepting the position the store location I was at went though a management change. The new manager and assistant manager did not have enough time to learn the ways of the previous management and decided to change everything about the store, all the procedures, and it was very hard for us employees to adapt to the new ways and we all felt very bullied and treated very unfairly so all 5 sales associates handed in their resignation letters.
Worst place I have ever worked for and the company does not care for its employees OR CUSTOMERS!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 24, 2015
Pros: Discount on items
Cons: Everything besides the discount
- Clock in, get told what your duties are for the day, clean up (lots of cleaning), do a bunch of stock and greet customers, ring up sales
- Learned basics of retail (creating displays, ringing up customers)

- Management is horrible and the company does not care at all. Management is very unprofessional; lots of favoritism. High turnover rate due to poor management (or I should say BAD MANAGEMENT!). Company MUST address this issue. Working at Ardene was a bad experience. Management was incompetent, not good with customer complaints or employee complaints. You could be a store manager within 3 months of being hired due to such high turnover rates, and the company needs to replace a manager at a busy store so instead of hiring one with managing experience, they promote a sales associate who does not display good managing skills, which in turn contributes to a bad work experience for employees of that store, and also bad experience for its customers because THEY SIMPLY SHOULD NOT BE MANAGERS. This whole management issue could be resolved if the company would just send someone from head office to go and observe how each store is doing, and issue PROPER TRAINING for EVERYONE!

*There are also many times that I have seen employees cry because of bullying and intimidating managers. Managers here will intimidate and punish, not motivate, praise or reward.

*There is too much emphasis on catching customers stealing and not enough on PROVIDING CUSTOMERS WITH A GOOD SHOPPING EXPERIENCE!

- Some coworkers are good but some are not. Also unprofessional, some are lazy, and very – more... catty. Felt like there was a lot of bullying going on and drama. There's also some sort of drama; it feels like high school. This place is not for you if you don't want to be around constant drama and having your managers change regularly.

- Hardest part is all the stock that comes in and being given an unreasonable time limit to do it. There is so much stock that comes in and you will be expected to finish in an hour (this is not enough time for the number of boxes received.) Also dealing with numerous shoplifters--all I know is that this is not my main job to catch people stealing and endangering my own life for $5.00 earrings. Funny thing is: many employees feel pride once they catch someone stealing, even going to the lengths of CHASING THE CUSTOMER TO THE PARKING LOT AND FIGHTING OVER THEIR BAGS. Or blocking them from exiting and yelling and screaming.
This is not your main job! Do not endanger your LIFE for cheap items! And they may sue you back for harassment! Craziness. All for $10.00 and a pat on the back. Most of the time shoplifters do not steal enough for the company to press charges anyway. This is another issue the company should address. Employees should not feel pride and be rewarded for such unprofessional behavior over items like this!

- Most enjoyable part (if anything at all) was that even though it was a horrible experience and I hated working there for the most part, sometimes we had fun and it was sort of like a very very very dysfunctional family

Really hoping Ardene reads employee complaints because if they will succeed and advance as a company at all they need to fix these internal issues, starting with each store and their team. – less
Productive, fast-paced environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 23, 2015
Pros: Co-workers are reliable
Cons: Very long hours
Typical day at work: putting out stock/re-arranging sections, while helping customers with their needs such as clothing sizes, putting together outfits, giving them a fitting room, maintaining the store because it gets messy very quickly (clearance outlet), cashing out customers, do the end of the day closing, and once it's time to go home, leave the store neat and tidy.
Great Atmosphere
Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee), MississaugaApril 14, 2015
Great employees, always willing to help the customers, very organized store with lots of product. employees are very friendly, always a pleasure to come to work everyday.
Fun and really easy workplace, free lunches.
Full-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), MississaugaApril 8, 2015
Pros: free luches/dinner/breakfast
Cons: boring
This job is very easy going, regular wage. It's a sale warehouse so the customer is always trying to bargain with you. The management is really nice and they buy you lunch everyday.
i did enjoy it a lot
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 7, 2015
Fun
Managing the store and work as a team
Good time management
Everything is detailed
When is not organized
Do my job perfect and make the company hapy
Productive and fun workplace
Clothing Sale Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 2, 2015
Pros: snacks and drinks on break time
A typical day at work would involve greeting customers and informing them about new promotions everyday. I learned a lot of skills from this workplace, which is auditing, problem solving skills, working under pressure. Management was very organized and caring of their customers and employees satisfaction. Most enjoyable part of the day is talking to customers and helping them with whatever they need.
Good experience
Ardene Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Discounts, Good people to work with
Cons: Not enough hours, not enough breaks
It was okay, I did not enjoy it all the time but it was a great experience to learn new things in stock areas and meet new people. I learned how to do different things within this job.
Poor Management
sales associate (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 18, 2015
One of the worst places to work at, management cares little about their employees well being. Complaints aren't taken seriously and often go overlooked.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 13, 2015
Pros: large discount
Cons: large discounts
A very busy place which i enjoyed. I learned to work with teenagers and how to explain things in a more detailed fashion. The hardest part of the job was dealing with aggravated customers at christmas time.
The staff members are incredible workers
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great team
Cons: poor management
Management isn't strong, and cannot handle other staff members disagreeing with them. Rules and policies of a manager are being taking advantage of, and they do not follow the same rules and policies the sales associates follow as indicated in the manual.
Good entry level job.
Sales associate (Former Employee), OttawaMarch 9, 2015
Good place to start in retail. Busy and a lot of merchandising involved, good to learn how to deal with customers and various other retail duties. Found them a little disorganized in management, but that was a long time ago and could have been improved. Varies from location to location.
Worst place to work
Third Key Holder (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: 30% to 50% discount
Cons: no pay increases, unpredictable hours, does not give references, under staffed, does not allow you to go back to school, does not hire men
I do not recommend working here, not even to my worst enemy.
The pay is extremely low; the lowest I've ever encountered in any retail job. Benefits are only given to Managers and Assistant Managers as well as pay increases. I have only been making minimum wage for 3 years!
I will be going back to school soon, and since Ardene does not demote employees, my supervisor has asked me to quit.
I've also been informed that Ardene does not give references so working for them is entirely pointless.
I love the customers but the hours are rediculous. You are often expected to work 12 hour shift five days a week then the following month you might get 3 shifts four hour shifts a week. They care more about their wage cost then their employees. I have been asked serveral times to work late while not on the clock because they are under staffed and can't afford to pay me.
DO NOT WORK HERE!
great environment and fun workplace
key holder (Current Employee), waterdownMarch 8, 2015
inventory, cleaning the store floor, cash register transactions, opening and closing the store, setting store alarm
productive and full on new experience
Assistance manager (Former Employee), eglinmillsMarch 3, 2015
o Great communication abilities in order to improve financial situation
o Fully knowledgeable about Loans, Credit cards and Accounts
o Capable of analyzing sales and costs in order to meet the forecasts

o Time and resource management for different projects in a fast pace environment (working with Arena Software to create supply chain management systems)
o Cost analysis and expense management in order to meet the budget
o Financial analysis

o Fully knowledgeable with all MS office software
o Created many flow charts and tables using Google Software
Nice workplace with music.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: free lunches, discount on the clothes.
Cons: none in particular for this job.
I would come in and count cashes. I would serve clients and fold clothes. If there were boxes that came in, a co-worker and I made sure to get most of the clothes out of the boxes and on the floors as fast as we could, Sometimes if my boss couldn't come in for the day I would open and close the store by myself.
Awful
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: discounts
Hated it here, not enough hours and girls where catty. You had to mange both costumers and the tasks given to you for your shift.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: 30 min lunch breaks and sometimes a 15 also
Cons: short shifts/ and only two people are allowed to book the same day off at a time.
Not allowed to speak to other staff unless outside of work only. But overall a great place to work. Hours get cut a lot after Christmas holiday's. But I love my job regardless. Could have trained us better when you start but it is not hard to figure out, and you can always ask for help.
Great team to work with
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee), Fort st JohnFebruary 20, 2015
i had the best team to work with and it was a good work environment for the most part. i have considered going back just as a part time employee.

1 2 3 4 5

About Ardene

Ardène is a Canadian clothing and accessories retailer based in Montreal, Quebec. Ardène sells a variety of jewelry, – Read more