Worst place I have ever worked for and the company does not care for its employees OR CUSTOMERS!
Pros: Discount on items
Cons: Everything besides the discount
- Clock in, get told what your duties are for the day, clean up (lots of cleaning), do a bunch of stock and greet customers, ring up sales
- Learned basics of retail (creating displays, ringing up customers)
- Management is horrible and the company does not care at all. Management is very unprofessional; lots of favoritism. High turnover rate due to poor management (or I should say BAD MANAGEMENT!). Company MUST address this issue. Working at Ardene was a bad experience. Management was incompetent, not good with customer complaints or employee complaints. You could be a store manager within 3 months of being hired due to such high turnover rates, and the company needs to replace a manager at a busy store so instead of hiring one with managing experience, they promote a sales associate who does not display good managing skills, which in turn contributes to a bad work experience for employees of that store, and also bad experience for its customers because THEY SIMPLY SHOULD NOT BE MANAGERS. This whole management issue could be resolved if the company would just send someone from head office to go and observe how each store is doing, and issue PROPER TRAINING for EVERYONE!
*There are also many times that I have seen employees cry because of bullying and intimidating managers. Managers here will intimidate and punish, not motivate, praise or reward.
*There is too much emphasis on catching customers stealing and not enough on PROVIDING CUSTOMERS WITH A GOOD SHOPPING EXPERIENCE!
- Some coworkers are good but some are not. Also unprofessional, some are lazy, and very – more... catty. Felt like there was a lot of bullying going on and drama. There's also some sort of drama; it feels like high school. This place is not for you if you don't want to be around constant drama and having your managers change regularly.
- Hardest part is all the stock that comes in and being given an unreasonable time limit to do it. There is so much stock that comes in and you will be expected to finish in an hour (this is not enough time for the number of boxes received.) Also dealing with numerous shoplifters--all I know is that this is not my main job to catch people stealing and endangering my own life for $5.00 earrings. Funny thing is: many employees feel pride once they catch someone stealing, even going to the lengths of CHASING THE CUSTOMER TO THE PARKING LOT AND FIGHTING OVER THEIR BAGS. Or blocking them from exiting and yelling and screaming.
This is not your main job! Do not endanger your LIFE for cheap items! And they may sue you back for harassment! Craziness. All for $10.00 and a pat on the back. Most of the time shoplifters do not steal enough for the company to press charges anyway. This is another issue the company should address. Employees should not feel pride and be rewarded for such unprofessional behavior over items like this!
- Most enjoyable part (if anything at all) was that even though it was a horrible experience and I hated working there for the most part, sometimes we had fun and it was sort of like a very very very dysfunctional family
Really hoping Ardene reads employee complaints because if they will succeed and advance as a company at all they need to fix these internal issues, starting with each store and their team. – less