Reporting to the Regional Manager – Nunavut and working under the technical leadership from the Cable Department Manager in the Information Technology Division, the Senior Cable Technician is responsible for maintaining the cable network and customer service to customers of Eastern Arctic TV in Iqaluit, NU. The position works closely with the cable team to provide cable support and with the Nunavut Regional Office team to provide courteous and efficient customer service.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To maintain and operate a Magnavox 550 MHz trunk with a 2-way distribution system to support analog and digital cable and a digital communication system.
- Provide training and mentoring in the basic functions of a cable system including cutoffs, reconnects, establishing service to new customers, trouble shooting techniques and maintenance/repair techniques.
- To maintain up to date information on cable equipment as required to operate and manage these systems.
- To monitor the performance of the plant and initiate corrective action to ensure the long-term stability of the systems and equipment. This may involve responding to “after hours” calls on an emergency basis to maintain customer service.
- To remain current on industry changes and be aware of new technologies as they become operational.
- To work closely with Arctic Co-op, cable, television signal and satellite suppliers to ensure service levels are kept in line with expectations.
- To maintain an inventory of tools, meters and monitoring equipment, as required to operate the system, as well as equipment and parts required to ensure the daily operation of Iqaluit Cable is at the highest level.
- Maintain an inventory of electronic equipment spares, cables and hardware as needed to maintain the smooth operation of the system.
- Perform other job related services as may be required by the Regional Manager - Nunavut or the technical staff in Winnipeg.
- Provide advice and direction to both the Regional Manager and to the Cable Department Manager in Winnipeg on issues regarding the cable system as may be appropriate.
- Maintain good working relationships with the staff of the power corporation, and the telephone company.
- May be asked to provide assistance to Co-operatives operating cable systems in other communities both by telephone and by travel to the community.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Proficiency in all areas involved with the operation and maintenance of a Cable system.
a) A basic understanding of Radio Frequency technology
b) Ability to maintain and peak satellite dishes and obtain proper signal levels.
c) A basic understanding of Motorola satellite reception equipment and Drake modulation equipment.
d) Ability to climb poles, spurs/ladder, operate a “boom” type vehicle, including the appropriate drivers.
- Experience in a supervising and training others.
- 2 to 3 years in maintenance of a cable plant.
- Team oriented.
- Excellent communication skills, particularly in customer service.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment.
Indeed - 13 months ago