Archipelago Marine Research Ltd. is now hiring reliable and enthusiastic people to work as groundfish Fisheries Observers within our Dockside Monitoring Program in Ucluelet, BC. Fisheries Observers are responsible for monitoring and documenting the offload activities of commercial fishing vessels. This includes the identification of groundfish species, accurately recording offloaded weights and monitoring compliance of fishery regulations. Attention to detail is necessary.
- Must obtain Fisheries Observer Certification through Fisheries and Oceans, Canada*. This required certification training is provided to successful candidates in our 2-week training course.
- Ability to obtain a Government of Canada security clearance to “Enhanced Reliability – Level 1.”
- High school graduation as a minimum. Knowledge of the fishing industry is an asset.
- Valid BC Drivers Licence with a reliable vehicle.
- Proven math and basic record keeping skills.
- Ability and willingness to work irregular hours.
- Physically fit to lift baskets of fish and climb ladders to board fishing vessels.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Competitive wages starting at $16.32/hour with a guaranteed minimum 4-hour callout on all days worked.
- Full and part-time equivalent positions are available. The hours and work schedules are variable as they are governed by the landing times of the fishing vessels.
- The work is primarily in Ucluelet, but can also occur in Tofino, French Creek and Nanaimo. Ability to travel to other fish landing ports is desirable.
- Forward your cover letter and resume to our head office in Victoria by June 20, 2014.
Note: Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period and the positions may be filled prior to the closing date.
- Fisheries Act and Fisheries (General) Regulations state that a person who owns, operates, manages, or is an employee of an enterprise that catches, cultures, processes or transports fish can not be certified as a Fisheries Observer.
Archipelago Marine Research works with fisheries, governments, and coastal communities around the world to help manage and maintain our...