ArcelorMittal Employee Reviews

great family atmosphere at this company from Canada Day celebrations to the christmas party
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 October 2016
Spent most of my adult life at Dofasco started right out of high school treated me like family from the get go great training in all jobs from team member to team leader.Made lots of friends that I keot in my life after retirement,benefits and profit sharing were one of the reasons i applied at dofasco in 1977 and made it possible for me to retire in 2011.
Pros
team atmosphere friends i made and keep in my life
Cons
did not always agree with management on some things but always did my job as required
Warehouse specialist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
Driving a staker crane is the best job I have ever had its like driving a roller coaster. The team building is second to none.
Excellent working conditions
Computer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 October 2016
Safety and team work are the two strong aspects of working for this company. They give you all the tools required for the job and give positive feedback on well performed tasks. Management is always positive and supportive of projects and accomplishments.
Pros
pays well
Good Place
Crane operator/Lab Operations (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
Good place to work, long hours though. Found that working 12 hour shifts was hard when you lived quite a ways away, driving time, through rush hour traffic.
Not a enjoyable place to work.
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 August 2016
Work conditions very poor. Very dirty and dangerous work area, Fellow co-workers very helpful. Management do not help to make the job better. I have learned that there are better places to work and they pay better as well. Night shifts you are all alone and they are poor work conditions.
Pros
I get a pay cheque.
Cons
Poor work conditions.
Stressant et déprimant! Région éloignée!
Ingénieur de projets (Current Employee) –  Fermont, QC19 July 2016
Les employés ont beaucoup de pression au travail. Ils disent souvent que si tu n'es pas content, t'as juste à aller travailler ailleurs!
La région de Fermont est isolée, il y a peu de services.
Le taux de roulement est très élevé.
Les évaluations de rendement sont inadéquates et le personnel des ressources humaines protègent la compagnie et ne s'intéressent pas du tout aux employés.
C'est une expérience enrichissante car elle me permet de connaître ce que je ne veux pas comme travail. Je me dis que je ne peux pas trouver pire ailleurs!
Pros
Le salaire n'est pas si bon que ça pcq les dépenses de région éloignée sont plus élevées
Cons
Taux de roulement, Ressources Humaines incompétentes, Stress, Taux de Burnout, Région éloignée
Great Place
Manufacturing Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON13 July 2016
This company was great to work for i had no issues and found many friends while employed there. I would do it again if i had the chance
Overhead AC/Crane operator, Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 July 2016
All in all...a good job. Steady hours, good pay, made alot of great friends during my employment there. Would recommend to anyone looking to get into the steel industry.
Pros
Steady hours, good pay, great coworkers
Cons
Long hours, certain areas get very very hot
It's a productive and fun workplace
Fire Watch (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 July 2016
When I joined ArcelorMittal Dofasco means I found myself learn more about the security and safety culture in the world's largest steel company. I recognize that Dofasco has a high responsibility to its employees and they always invested in its people.
Une expérience des plus désagréables
Journalier (Former Employee) –  Contrecoeur, QC27 June 2016
en 2014, les conditions de travail pour les journaliers étaient excécrables, puisque les superviseurs n'expliquaient pas correctement les tâches.

Leur politique de recruter trop d'employés pour ensuite les renvoyer dans un court laps de temps n'est pas forcément bonne pour le moral.

Je ne recommende aucunement Arcelor Mittal Contrecoeur Est en tant qu,emploi étudiant.
Well balanced shifts
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON22 June 2016
I enjoy the workplace, shifts and staff, good location, high tech equipment. Acknowledge staff that have experience and place them where necessary
work environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON16 June 2016
Three shift rotating work schedule made for hectic situations when it comes to parenting. Hard to establish a sleep schedule when you are switching shifts every two weeks.
Environnement agréable
Relève du Directeur Entretien Ateliers (Former Employee) –  Fermont et Port-Cartier18 May 2016
Très bonne entreprise j'ai acquis beaucoup d'expérience dans différent domaine
Pros
Salaire
Cons
Région éloigné
bon avantage
Pontier (Former Employee) –  Contrecoeur, QC9 May 2016
Bon avantage social très bon salaire environnement de travail satisfaisant horaire de travail très bon
Pros
horaire de travail
Bad corporate culture
production worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 May 2016
Production Worker (Former Employee) – Hamilton, ON
I worked for this employer for over 20 years and hated it.
I left because I foresaw the wage and benefit cuts and was fed up with the politics.
The work schedule is 12 continental and wears on a person very quickly.
I walked out the door with over 20 years of experience. My supervisors all had far less seniority and experience than I did but were promoted because they were friends of management.
The training program was never that good but has been affected even further by the drain of experienced personnel-myself included.
This employer has a middle management problem. Middle managers/supervisors are often small minded,vindictive and insecure. HR at DOFASCO often looks the other way while supervisors "sewer" the careers of employees they don't like.
I saw more people forced out the door or reprimanded into discouraged silence by small minded, vindictive supervisors while HR looked the other way.
Due to the fact that there is no union, employees have no real recourse or protection from these types of practices.
I would strongly recommend against even taking a short term position with this employer.
Pros
steady pay check
Cons
small minded and vindictive middle management and supervisors
Coporate head office is wonderful, little advancement regionally
Team Leader - Customer Service, Flat Carbon Steel (Current Employee) –  Coteau-du-lac, QC27 April 2016
Coporate head office in Hamilton is wonderful but little advancement regionally. Local Management and Human Resources have a 'unionized' mindset and do not allow for flextime to accommodate for Customer Service.
Pros
Free parking, no traffic
Cons
Little advancement opportunities regionally
très valorisant, bel environnement de travail industrielle.
Agent de sécurité aux usines (Former Employee) –  Contrecoeur, QC1 April 2016
une journée de travail, active, rencontre les contractants du site, entre en contact avec les contre-maîtres, toujours en contact avec les camionneurs (très polis) travaille informatique pour sortir sur le bill (facture) des camionneurs. Lors des complications informatique, nous avons de l'assistance rapidement. Les agents de sécurité bonne esprit de travail avec les employées du site. Faire des rondes sur le site avec un camion, porter des documents au besoin.Faire des rapports journalier et en cas d'urgence.

J'ai appris a avoir des contact d'affaire avec beaucoup de personnalité importante du site. Apprendre a avoir plus de caractère
pour prendre ma place, et me tenir au courant de nos avantages sociaux qu'on peux avoir besoin de cette entreprises.

Nous sommes très bien encadrer de nos collaborateurs ils voient a ce qu'ils nous manque rien, qu'on soit bien encadré en cas de besoin,autant qu'en soutient technique que soutien sociale et moral.

Lors des gros (shot down) il faut être deux agents pour comblé le travail au max.

Avoir l'occasion de travailler dans une belle ambiance de travail sein et d'avoir de beau avantage sociaux, et surtout un bel appui de toute l'équipe d'Arcelor Mittal.
Pros
avoir un véhicule sur le site
Cons
pas le droit de lecture (journaux, livre)
not a good work experience
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 March 2016
I worked for this employer for 20 years and hated it.
The work schedule is 12 continental and wears on a person very quickly.
This employer has a middle management problem. Middle managers are often small minded,vindictive and insecure. HR at DOFASCO often looks the other way while supervisors "sewer" the careers of employees they don't like.
Pros
very few
Cons
small minded and vindictive management team/HR department that looks the other way
evolution de carriere
Ingénieur méthodes (Former Employee) –  laminoir a petit fil et rond a beton9 March 2016
Chez Arcelor Mittal, je n’ai pas cessé de me perfectionner dans plusieurs domaines techniques et gestion de la maintenance mécanique, hydraulique, électrique, instrumentation ,mesure et méthodes, j’ai alors pu mettre en pratique tous mes apprentissage lies a mes formations faites a l’étranger et a l’université qui m’ont permis de me spécialiser dans l’hydraulique industrielle. D’une manière générale par développer la polyvalence dans plusieurs domaines à savoir mécanique électrique, régulation, méthodes de travail etc..,
Pros
arcelormittal est une ecole pour apprendre la pratique
the department I was in was unfair in hiring practices
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 February 2016
you show up for your shift and we're to have a tool talk meaning anything that is going on like safety issues,road closures, anything related to what we may encounter while on the job and over 3/4 of the time our team leaders didn't know or weren't being told so they couldn't relay the information.I gained good experience on the equipment. I wasn't impressed with the management they performed bad hiring practises it seemed like the only people getting hired in were people that had family in the company and I was more qualified this happened to many times.I liked all my co-workers but the hardest part of the job was the disparity between us,from a retiring full time to a fulltime then there was casuals and then there was contracters .The most enjoyable part of the job was running the equipment in which I'am very good at.