ARCADIS Employee Reviews

Ok
Environmental Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 1, 2016
Ok, very large company with many offices and international locations. Felt too large and impersonal. Okay place to start career
Fun workplace
Sr.Government Affairs Advisor (Current Employee) –  DubaiAugust 1, 2016
A place where we can grow ourselves and learn..
If your team leader is good you will go in heights in this organisation
Co-workers are really supportive
The hardest part is need to work even after office hours in my role
Pros
Good people around
Cons
Long hours even on weekends and annual leave worked from home
Work with imagination
Design Engineer, Mechanical Process (US Water) (Current Employee) –  Mumbai, MaharashtraJuly 24, 2016
Good work Culture, Imagination Power required for great output, Great environment to work. Good support from seniors
Pros
good worrk culture
Cons
scope of work is very less & limited
Poor Management and Morale
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 8, 2016
Poor company to work with. I was with the firm for many, many years and it has gone down hill since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The merger was poorly managed, the leadership team let the smaller purchased company come in and change how a well managed company was run and it FAILED. Morale in most offices is very bad, there is no loyalty, management talks of a "transformation plan" that has falsified KPI's. Bonuses have gone down, down, down every year since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The hires they make into leadership and business development roles are very poorly vetted, business revenue is not improving year after year. I think this company needs to start from scratch and get back to basics and should start by getting rid of all of the Malcolm Pirnie employees still left in the firm.
Pros
Work life balance, ability to work flex hours. That is about it.
Cons
Too many to name.
Birmingham new street project
Sub contract Project Manager (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJune 28, 2016
Intense project management for Network Rail delivery
Good co workers
The hardest part of the job was the sub contractors attitude
Good and bad
Safety Supervisor 2 (Current Employee) –  Ravena, NYJune 26, 2016
The pay and benefits have been great, but the hours are terrible. I have no time for life outside of work. Management seems to want to help you succeed, and will pay for any continued education
Pros
pay and benefits, continued education paid for.
Cons
no life
Challenging and Dynamic
Head HR - KSA & BAHRAIN (Current Employee) –  جدةJune 21, 2016
Many Challenges undergoing an transition due to an acquisition. We managed to fix many of the items due to the merger an acquisition. A great deal of ne polices, processes and activities
Don't expect loyalty
Senior Enviromental Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2016
After 23 years of my service, Arcadis fired me while I was out on disability recovering from my liver transplant. They then started to force out any senior members who had 20+ years of experience. This was a cost saving measure to purge all the high end salaries. Many of the furloughed employees were from the original G & M firm who helped Arcadis grow from 10,000 to over 55,000 people. We in the Southeast provided most of the revenues to finance their expansion. We were rewarded with pink slips. My advice is to join the company for experience and leave for a better job as soon as you can. Loyalty is not a word in the Arcadis vocabulary.
Cons
No loyalty
Get a chance to see the Country
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL (Home Office) 100% travelJune 8, 2016
My overall experience has been good. I like what I do, and where I do it, I love the fact that I serve a purpose to the American public. Management has been very helpful in helping to adjust to the different areas and scope of work. The hardest part about this job is the travel. I loved it at first. Now I just need to be at home more with my family. My co-workers have all on the most part been one of the best parts to my job. Most of them are in the same boat as I. This make relationships easy to relate to.
Pros
Money. Learn new things
Cons
Away from my family
my day changes each day
SR MANAGER, PROGRAM CONTROLS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2016
great opportunity to learn and for professional development, My co-workers are team spirited and work well together.
I was a contract only, so my short term is not valid
INVOICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2016
The position was not advertised as the actual position required. My expertise was in Project Accounting, not Governmental Contract Accounting.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Limited Training
Currently in transition phase in the Middle East region
Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  DubaiMay 30, 2016
I had joined Hyder Consulting Middle East in July 2014 and after takeover by Arcadis, the company is currently undergoing a transition phase in terms of new management.

Overall, Arcadis has been a really nice and wonderful place to work with. I have been exposed to various projects from Ground Improvement Projects in Dubai to Bulk Plants in KSA and Bitumen Plants in Doha, Qatar.

It has a hands on training approach and pushes oneself to be independent and learn new things. Sometimes, the work pressure can be intimidating, but it is kind of inevitable. Once somebody has worked in the Middle East culture, i think they can excel in any part of the world.

The management has been really helpful and encourages the youngsters to excel in their field.

The hardest part of the job can also be the most enjoyable unfortunately. Due to the amazing work experience, there is always very high pressure to perform and deliver the jobs on time due to competitive nature of Gulf Market.
Pros
Genuinely cares about Young Engineer's and their career advancement
Cons
Low Salary compared to Market
Escape the sinking ship
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2016
Huge turnover. Management is horrible with money, so they are constantly looking for younger people who will do the same work for a fraction of a good wage. Laid off after thirty years of loyalty and hard work because their poor work can't maintain clients. It used to be a good company but they fired all of the people who made the company work. Good luck in this shrinking industry.
Feels Like A Sinking Ship
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMarch 8, 2016
(This is my experience from someone who has had multiple years of field work with ARCADIS)

Typical engineering company. Nothing very special about the way it treats its employees. Promotes a culture of self promotion and not actual hard work to move up the chain.

Good way to start a career but I would not recommend staying with this company once you have experience. Some people get lucky and find a nice niche but they can get eliminated after a few years depending on how bad the company is doing.

Horrible communication between office staff and field staff. Never got to a job site where the ARCADIS office staff came up with an efficient and common sense plan. There is no emphasis on field-office staff communication. Probably would save millions of dollars for ARCADIS-US if they did. That is no exaggeration I personally have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars of waste because of this lack of communication.

The communication problem is also exacerbated by the current policy of ARCADIS to hire the youngest and cheapest employees to do the field work.

There is some positives though. Can work with some experienced people that have stayed with the company and actually learn a few things. Currently ARCADIS is on a rampage to get rid of experienced people though.

There is no guarantee of having a job from year to year and it will try and use you for every dollar that it gives you. I would view ARCADIS as a good place to get training and that's it.

Like I said earlier get experience and then get out.
Pros
Good place to start a career
Cons
Does not put money into their employees
great people
CAD Engineer/Utilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Doha, DAWFebruary 1, 2016
Arcadis in general is a great company, has a good plan for its staff and cares for the employees. Nice working environment.
Life as a Project Engineer/Health and Safety Environmental Manager/ Project Controls
Health and Safety Environmental Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
- Work for this company for 8 yrs since I was 19.
- Company is willing to teach and groom new trainees
- Friendly co-workers
- Not doing redundant work every week
- Hardest part about the job was learning new, tedious, and critical work that needed to be completed as soon as possible.
- The most enjoyable part about the job was learning new and intense work on a daily basis.
Pros
Co-workers, new work every day, and nice work staff
Cons
ending of contracts
Opportunities
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manjung, M08October 21, 2015
As a young engineer I had the opportunity of joining Arcadis after my graduation. This was one of the best decisions I`ve made, I say this because one thing was different about this company, they didn`t wanna know if I had 10,15 or 20 years of experience in an area, the important part is that I had the will to succeed and the heart to move forward, even when things were not going well. They appreciate the foundation you have and know that a person with a good foundation can learn anything. They gave me the opportunity to grow as an engineer and they made me understand that I can do anything I put my self into and that`s nothing better to know tn this
Pros
We were a team, dispite of each one title and position everyone worked together.
Cons
Work was done in Contract basis, when there was no contracts we had to find a way to keep our jobs
Very demanding and very busy with minimum resource availability
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  ManchesterOctober 5, 2015
Unrealistic SLA's
Very busy supporting a wide range of clients
Excellent work because it is busy.
Training was absolutely poor and I feel I didnt learn much in the time I worked there.

No support from Trainer or management who also have over par expectations post training.
Pros
Good hours, good lunch period
Cons
Poor training, poor support, poor work ethics.
Work varies based on client projects
Geologist I (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 22, 2015
Communication is very poor. As a new employee the burden is shifted to me to figure out what projects I'm on or I am notified less than a day before that I'm on a job. We're supposed to have project meetings which I'm never involved in, but am expected to know what was discussed. Finally, the way expense reporting and billable hours work is horrible. Lets just say that if I work over 40 hours, but 8 of those hours were to overhead and not a project well I just wont get paid for those 8 hours. At least they are flexible with career paths and letting you decide what type of work you'd like to learn.
Good Experience
SENIOR PROJECT CONTROLS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Good breadth of projects. The company has a global perspective. Lot of opportunity for collaboration on firm wide level. Focused on few sectors.

2.7