ARCADIS Employee Reviews

Don't expect loyalty
Senior Enviromental Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2016
After 23 years of my service, Arcadis fired me while I was out on disability recovering from my liver transplant. They then started to force out any senior members who had 20+ years of experience. This was a cost saving measure to purge all the high end salaries. Many of the furloughed employees were from the original G & M firm who helped Arcadis grow from 10,000 to over 55,000 people. We in the Southeast provided most of the revenues to finance their expansion. We were rewarded with pink slips. My advice is to join the company for experience and leave for a better job as soon as you can. Loyalty is not a word in the Arcadis vocabulary.
Cons
No loyalty
Get a chance to see the Country
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL (Home Office) 100% travelJune 8, 2016
My overall experience has been good. I like what I do, and where I do it, I love the fact that I serve a purpose to the American public. Management has been very helpful in helping to adjust to the different areas and scope of work. The hardest part about this job is the travel. I loved it at first. Now I just need to be at home more with my family. My co-workers have all on the most part been one of the best parts to my job. Most of them are in the same boat as I. This make relationships easy to relate to.
Pros
Money. Learn new things
Cons
Away from my family
Escape the sinking ship
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2016
Huge turnover. Management is horrible with money, so they are constantly looking for younger people who will do the same work for a fraction of a good wage. Laid off after thirty years of loyalty and hard work because their poor work can't maintain clients. It used to be a good company but they fired all of the people who made the company work. Good luck in this shrinking industry.
Poor Management and Morale
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 8, 2016
Poor company to work with. I was with the firm for many, many years and it has gone down hill since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The merger was poorly managed, the leadership team let the smaller purchased company come in and change how a well managed company was run and it FAILED. Morale in most offices is very bad, there is no loyalty, management talks of a "transformation plan" that has falsified KPI's. Bonuses have gone down, down, down every year since the merger with Malcolm Pirnie. The hires they make into leadership and business development roles are very poorly vetted, business revenue is not improving year after year. I think this company needs to start from scratch and get back to basics and should start by getting rid of all of the Malcolm Pirnie employees still left in the firm.
Pros
Work life balance, ability to work flex hours. That is about it.
Cons
Too many to name.
Good and bad
Safety Supervisor 2 (Current Employee) –  Ravena, NYJune 26, 2016
The pay and benefits have been great, but the hours are terrible. I have no time for life outside of work. Management seems to want to help you succeed, and will pay for any continued education
Pros
pay and benefits, continued education paid for.
Cons
no life
Life as a Project Engineer/Health and Safety Environmental Manager/ Project Controls
Health and Safety Environmental Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
- Work for this company for 8 yrs since I was 19.
- Company is willing to teach and groom new trainees
- Friendly co-workers
- Not doing redundant work every week
- Hardest part about the job was learning new, tedious, and critical work that needed to be completed as soon as possible.
- The most enjoyable part about the job was learning new and intense work on a daily basis.
Pros
Co-workers, new work every day, and nice work staff
Cons
ending of contracts
I was a contract only, so my short term is not valid
INVOICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2016
The position was not advertised as the actual position required. My expertise was in Project Accounting, not Governmental Contract Accounting.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Limited Training
Challenging and Dynamic
Head HR - KSA & BAHRAIN (Current Employee) –  جدةJune 21, 2016
Many Challenges undergoing an transition due to an acquisition. We managed to fix many of the items due to the merger an acquisition. A great deal of ne polices, processes and activities
Birmingham new street project
Sub contract Project Manager (Former Employee) –  BirminghamJune 28, 2016
Intense project management for Network Rail delivery
Good co workers
The hardest part of the job was the sub contractors attitude
Currently in transition phase in the Middle East region
Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  DubaiMay 30, 2016
I had joined Hyder Consulting Middle East in July 2014 and after takeover by Arcadis, the company is currently undergoing a transition phase in terms of new management.

Overall, Arcadis has been a really nice and wonderful place to work with. I have been exposed to various projects from Ground Improvement Projects in Dubai to Bulk Plants in KSA and Bitumen Plants in Doha, Qatar.

It has a hands on training approach and pushes oneself to be independent and learn new things. Sometimes, the work pressure can be intimidating, but it is kind of inevitable. Once somebody has worked in the Middle East culture, i think they can excel in any part of the world.

The management has been really helpful and encourages the youngsters to excel in their field.

The hardest part of the job can also be the most enjoyable unfortunately. Due to the amazing work experience, there is always very high pressure to perform and deliver the jobs on time due to competitive nature of Gulf Market.
Pros
Genuinely cares about Young Engineer's and their career advancement
Cons
Low Salary compared to Market
my day changes each day
SR MANAGER, PROGRAM CONTROLS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2016
great opportunity to learn and for professional development, My co-workers are team spirited and work well together.
Opportunities
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manjung, M08October 21, 2015
As a young engineer I had the opportunity of joining Arcadis after my graduation. This was one of the best decisions I`ve made, I say this because one thing was different about this company, they didn`t wanna know if I had 10,15 or 20 years of experience in an area, the important part is that I had the will to succeed and the heart to move forward, even when things were not going well. They appreciate the foundation you have and know that a person with a good foundation can learn anything. They gave me the opportunity to grow as an engineer and they made me understand that I can do anything I put my self into and that`s nothing better to know tn this
Pros
We were a team, dispite of each one title and position everyone worked together.
Cons
Work was done in Contract basis, when there was no contracts we had to find a way to keep our jobs
Very demanding and very busy with minimum resource availability
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  ManchesterOctober 5, 2015
Unrealistic SLA's
Very busy supporting a wide range of clients
Excellent work because it is busy.
Training was absolutely poor and I feel I didnt learn much in the time I worked there.

No support from Trainer or management who also have over par expectations post training.
Pros
Good hours, good lunch period
Cons
Poor training, poor support, poor work ethics.
Work varies based on client projects
Geologist I (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 22, 2015
Communication is very poor. As a new employee the burden is shifted to me to figure out what projects I'm on or I am notified less than a day before that I'm on a job. We're supposed to have project meetings which I'm never involved in, but am expected to know what was discussed. Finally, the way expense reporting and billable hours work is horrible. Lets just say that if I work over 40 hours, but 8 of those hours were to overhead and not a project well I just wont get paid for those 8 hours. At least they are flexible with career paths and letting you decide what type of work you'd like to learn.
great people
CAD Engineer/Utilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Doha, DAWFebruary 1, 2016
Arcadis in general is a great company, has a good plan for its staff and cares for the employees. Nice working environment.
Stay away from ARCADIS
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2015
Where to begin? From the beginning a lot of promises were said but never followed up on. Me and fellow colleagues helped build up a new process for a project we were collaborating on globally and were literally used and abused. Once the project was completed management dropped our hours from 50% for example and expect people to stay busy of be threatened with layoff. A lot of blackmailing goes on if you are not of the big boys club or one of their favorites. A lot of favoritism occurs and management likes to speak to people like dirt. Also they expect you to work 10 hours without an outside social life. They also treat women like its 1950. If you are married and have children they make you feel guilty about having to leave work after 8 hours. It is like working on a slave ship for very low pay, I would avoid this company by all means.
Pros
you can sometimes work from home
Cons
This place sucks
Demanding and high stress environment.
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 14, 2015
A typical work day is continually putting out fires. I rarely knew in the morning what I would be working on in the afternoon, but I always knew I would be busy.

Ever since the company became publicly traded on the stock market job security and morale plummeted.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Requires work on weekends, holidays, and late nights
Good Experience
SENIOR PROJECT CONTROLS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Good breadth of projects. The company has a global perspective. Lot of opportunity for collaboration on firm wide level. Focused on few sectors.
Overall, a good place to work
Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Project Managers from all over the US and Canada as well as Brazil, Chile, & Peru.

I enjoyed the challenges of the larger projects.

I learned the practices and procedures of accounting
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Advancement, Reviews, Supervisors
Productive workplace with a lot of teaching
Internship (Former Employee) –  Hoofddorp, NetherlandsMarch 27, 2015
A productive consultancy with friendly people and a good atmosphere for students/interns to learn a lot. Learned the ways of a consultancy, improved telephone skills and learned to work both independantly and in a team on difficult subjects.
Pros
Free drinks and fruit, nice co-workers, friendly atmosphere, diversity
Cons
Team gained a very bad manager

2.6