ARCADIS Employee Reviews

Feels Like A Sinking Ship
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYMarch 8, 2016
(This is my experience from someone who has had multiple years of field work with ARCADIS)

Typical engineering company. Nothing very special about the way it treats its employees. Promotes a culture of self promotion and not actual hard work to move up the chain.

Good way to start a career but I would not recommend staying with this company once you have experience. Some people get lucky and find a nice niche but they can get eliminated after a few years depending on how bad the company is doing.

Horrible communication between office staff and field staff. Never got to a job site where the ARCADIS office staff came up with an efficient and common sense plan. There is no emphasis on field-office staff communication. Probably would save millions of dollars for ARCADIS-US if they did. That is no exaggeration I personally have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars of waste because of this lack of communication.

The communication problem is also exacerbated by the current policy of ARCADIS to hire the youngest and cheapest employees to do the field work.

There is some positives though. Can work with some experienced people that have stayed with the company and actually learn a few things. Currently ARCADIS is on a rampage to get rid of experienced people though.

There is no guarantee of having a job from year to year and it will try and use you for every dollar that it gives you. I would view ARCADIS as a good place to get training and that's it.

Like I said earlier get experience and then get out.
Pros
Good place to start a career
Cons
Does not put money into their employees
Don't expect loyalty
Senior Enviromental Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 13, 2016
After 23 years of my service, Arcadis fired me while I was out on disability recovering from my liver transplant. They then started to force out any senior members who had 20+ years of experience. This was a cost saving measure to purge all the high end salaries. Many of the furloughed employees were from the original G & M firm who helped Arcadis grow from 10,000 to over 55,000 people. We in the Southeast provided most of the revenues to finance their expansion. We were rewarded with pink slips. My advice is to join the company for experience and leave for a better job as soon as you can. Loyalty is not a word in the Arcadis vocabulary.
Cons
No loyalty
Get a chance to see the Country
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FL (Home Office) 100% travelJune 8, 2016
My overall experience has been good. I like what I do, and where I do it, I love the fact that I serve a purpose to the American public. Management has been very helpful in helping to adjust to the different areas and scope of work. The hardest part about this job is the travel. I loved it at first. Now I just need to be at home more with my family. My co-workers have all on the most part been one of the best parts to my job. Most of them are in the same boat as I. This make relationships easy to relate to.
Pros
Money. Learn new things
Cons
Away from my family
Currently in transition phase in the Middle East region
Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee) –  DubaiMay 30, 2016
I had joined Hyder Consulting Middle East in July 2014 and after takeover by Arcadis, the company is currently undergoing a transition phase in terms of new management.

Overall, Arcadis has been a really nice and wonderful place to work with. I have been exposed to various projects from Ground Improvement Projects in Dubai to Bulk Plants in KSA and Bitumen Plants in Doha, Qatar.

It has a hands on training approach and pushes oneself to be independent and learn new things. Sometimes, the work pressure can be intimidating, but it is kind of inevitable. Once somebody has worked in the Middle East culture, i think they can excel in any part of the world.

The management has been really helpful and encourages the youngsters to excel in their field.

The hardest part of the job can also be the most enjoyable unfortunately. Due to the amazing work experience, there is always very high pressure to perform and deliver the jobs on time due to competitive nature of Gulf Market.
Pros
Genuinely cares about Young Engineer's and their career advancement
Cons
Low Salary compared to Market
Work varies based on client projects
Geologist I (Current Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 22, 2015
Communication is very poor. As a new employee the burden is shifted to me to figure out what projects I'm on or I am notified less than a day before that I'm on a job. We're supposed to have project meetings which I'm never involved in, but am expected to know what was discussed. Finally, the way expense reporting and billable hours work is horrible. Lets just say that if I work over 40 hours, but 8 of those hours were to overhead and not a project well I just wont get paid for those 8 hours. At least they are flexible with career paths and letting you decide what type of work you'd like to learn.
Escape the sinking ship
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2016
Huge turnover. Management is horrible with money, so they are constantly looking for younger people who will do the same work for a fraction of a good wage. Laid off after thirty years of loyalty and hard work because their poor work can't maintain clients. It used to be a good company but they fired all of the people who made the company work. Good luck in this shrinking industry.
Life as a Project Engineer/Health and Safety Environmental Manager/ Project Controls
Health and Safety Environmental Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
- Work for this company for 8 yrs since I was 19.
- Company is willing to teach and groom new trainees
- Friendly co-workers
- Not doing redundant work every week
- Hardest part about the job was learning new, tedious, and critical work that needed to be completed as soon as possible.
- The most enjoyable part about the job was learning new and intense work on a daily basis.
Pros
Co-workers, new work every day, and nice work staff
Cons
ending of contracts
Opportunities
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manjung, M08October 21, 2015
As a young engineer I had the opportunity of joining Arcadis after my graduation. This was one of the best decisions I`ve made, I say this because one thing was different about this company, they didn`t wanna know if I had 10,15 or 20 years of experience in an area, the important part is that I had the will to succeed and the heart to move forward, even when things were not going well. They appreciate the foundation you have and know that a person with a good foundation can learn anything. They gave me the opportunity to grow as an engineer and they made me understand that I can do anything I put my self into and that`s nothing better to know tn this
Pros
We were a team, dispite of each one title and position everyone worked together.
Cons
Work was done in Contract basis, when there was no contracts we had to find a way to keep our jobs
Stay away from ARCADIS
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2015
Where to begin? From the beginning a lot of promises were said but never followed up on. Me and fellow colleagues helped build up a new process for a project we were collaborating on globally and were literally used and abused. Once the project was completed management dropped our hours from 50% for example and expect people to stay busy of be threatened with layoff. A lot of blackmailing goes on if you are not of the big boys club or one of their favorites. A lot of favoritism occurs and management likes to speak to people like dirt. Also they expect you to work 10 hours without an outside social life. They also treat women like its 1950. If you are married and have children they make you feel guilty about having to leave work after 8 hours. It is like working on a slave ship for very low pay, I would avoid this company by all means.
Pros
you can sometimes work from home
Cons
This place sucks
Very demanding and very busy with minimum resource availability
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  ManchesterOctober 5, 2015
Unrealistic SLA's
Very busy supporting a wide range of clients
Excellent work because it is busy.
Training was absolutely poor and I feel I didnt learn much in the time I worked there.

No support from Trainer or management who also have over par expectations post training.
Pros
Good hours, good lunch period
Cons
Poor training, poor support, poor work ethics.
Good and bad
Safety Supervisor 2 (Current Employee) –  Ravena, NYJune 26, 2016
The pay and benefits have been great, but the hours are terrible. I have no time for life outside of work. Management seems to want to help you succeed, and will pay for any continued education
Pros
pay and benefits, continued education paid for.
Cons
no life
I was a contract only, so my short term is not valid
INVOICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJune 1, 2016
The position was not advertised as the actual position required. My expertise was in Project Accounting, not Governmental Contract Accounting.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Limited Training
Challenging and Dynamic
Head HR - KSA & BAHRAIN (Current Employee) –  جدةJune 21, 2016
Many Challenges undergoing an transition due to an acquisition. We managed to fix many of the items due to the merger an acquisition. A great deal of ne polices, processes and activities
my day changes each day
SR MANAGER, PROGRAM CONTROLS (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2016
great opportunity to learn and for professional development, My co-workers are team spirited and work well together.
Get ready to work long hours with little recognition
Construction Mgmt. (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 11, 2012
Company has grown tremendously through acquisitions, with little due diligence,resulting in varied mgmt styles being interwined. The PM/CM division is run by executives who have little mgmt or leadership skills. The division Pres has made some of the most ridiculous hiring/promoting decisions ever. He needs to read a book on mgmt 101. Lost alot of good people, who refused to work for incompetent people in leadership roles above them. Arcadis lays off alot of people...all about the bottom dollar, while keeping and promoting people who should have been fired long ago for incompetence. Get ready to work on mandatory training at home b/c they won't pay you for it...it's not billable time, but you have to do it.
Pros
benefits, flexwork week
Cons
executive leadership (pm/cm division), acquisitions
Demanding and high stress environment.
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COJuly 14, 2015
A typical work day is continually putting out fires. I rarely knew in the morning what I would be working on in the afternoon, but I always knew I would be busy.

Ever since the company became publicly traded on the stock market job security and morale plummeted.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Cons
Requires work on weekends, holidays, and late nights
Overall, a good place to work
Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 19, 2015
I enjoyed working with the Project Managers from all over the US and Canada as well as Brazil, Chile, & Peru.

I enjoyed the challenges of the larger projects.

I learned the practices and procedures of accounting
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Advancement, Reviews, Supervisors
great people
CAD Engineer/Utilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Doha, DAWFebruary 1, 2016
Arcadis in general is a great company, has a good plan for its staff and cares for the employees. Nice working environment.
Cutthroat is a true statement
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Southeast USNovember 6, 2014
Pros- flexible schedule when not in field. straight time overtime.

Cons- mid level management does not want to see younger engineers advance, especially if they have a masters or are pursuing one (in my office). Workers in my group were cutthroat and did not want to advance the team unless it advanced their own cause. Calculations were not checked according to engineering protocol many times, even though the mid level management had time to do so, but rather talked about football, hunting, etc. took 2 hour lunches.
Bad example set for younger employees. Promotions based on whether or not you were in the "in" crowd, not on your work. The list could go on.

Bottom line- You have to judge each office individually, however for ARCADIS, it seems to be all about the bottom line and not the people, and to some degree this all comes down from Corporate..
Arcadis is not a good bet
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Not givenDecember 29, 2013
I'd recommend staying away from Arcadis (or ARCADIS as they insist it is spelled). My office, the largest in one of the top 10 metro areas, has lost at least 25% of its personnel in the last six months. Some have left on their own, others let go or 'furloughed'. Specifically, the Environmental remediation and industrial hygiene divisions seem to be bleeding personnel. Yet, they look for replacements for people who were let go because of slowing work.

Arcadis is the result of many mergers and the company is still not integrated. In particular, there are overlapping, redundant databases. Being a larger company, there is an extra 2 to 4 layers of management which add to client costs and makes it harder to put together a competitive bid.

Arcadis does manage to hire a good percentage of women engineers and scientists, perhaps being the company that is closest to gender parity in this type of business. That is not easy.

In general, a job seeker should be very wary of Arcadis.
Pros
appears to be a diverse workplace, some big company benefits
Cons
scattered it platforms, top-heavy management, losing many qualified personnel