ARCADIS

ARCADIS Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Has lost its way
Former Employee (Former Employee), U.S.February 24, 2015
Pros: not micro-managed, can work from home if necessary
Cons: management, internal systems
Billability is truly the only thing that matters at this company. You can be the most brilliant, talented, well-liked person imaginable, but if you suddenly, through no fault of your own, find yourself less billable than someone who just processes storage boxes all day, then you go, and they stay. Your timesheet is either your ticket upward or the nail in your coffin.

As much as they try, the divisional walls at the company will never be taken down. If a certain division is in need of a skill, and you have that skill, you may never find each other. People are laid off all the time who could probably have been kept quite busy elsewhere, but management is unaware of how to make that happen.
fast paced and high profile
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 20, 2015
- fast paced work with a variety of clients and projects
-field staff are very busy with field work and depending on job load can involve significant travel
ARCADIS isn't bad, it's VERY BAD.
Engineer I (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
For those seeking a successful career, growth, tons of training and mentoring from the best in the industry - don't stop here, keep going. Arcadis grows on acquisition - nothing is organic. In order to please stakeholders, Arcadis buys other companies in hopes of staying profitable - err, afloat. Ask any of the acquired companies, if given the opportunity to partner with Arcadis, if they would do it again? The answer is no. Instead of seamlessly transitioning these other firms, its nothing but chaos. Communication is horrible and accessing the appropriate information you need to effectively complete your job or simply communicate is nothing less of a migraine. The truth is Arcadis, is desperately trying to change its model and streamline markets; the real truth is that it won't solve the obvious issue, in that there is a mass exodus of young talented professionals kicking the walls down to leave.

Like a pseudo-top corporation that is trying to stay on top, Arcadis exemplifies the blueprint, strategy and real life application of slavery in its prime. As much as people want to give this place 3+ stars, the fact of the matter is that there is absolutely NO work/life balance, your co-workers complain about wanting to leave, management is extremely top heavy, the company can barely 'win' work, and there is no opportunity to advance.

My advice to anyone thinking about Arcadis is to think again and keep searching. You will definitely regret it.
Good Company
Senior Scientist (Current Employee), Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: hard to balance time with personal life.
Overall, ARCADIS is a good company to work for. The company provides good pay and benefits and career progression. Being such a large company, movement throughout the U.S. is easily achievable.
International consultant company with average ratings
Health and Safety Supervisor/Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: knowledgeable employees, big business clients
Cons: below average compensation, little focus on professional development, difficult to advance, poor mid-level managment
The most difficult part of the job is the heavy focus on billabilty and finding work for one's self. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to interact with new clients and other contractors on a daily basis.
Cutthroat is a true statement
Geotechnical Engineer (Former Employee), Southeast USNovember 6, 2014
Pros- flexible schedule when not in field. straight time overtime.

Cons- mid level management does not want to see younger engineers advance, especially if they have a masters or are pursuing one (in my office). Workers in my group were cutthroat and did not want to advance the team unless it advanced their own cause. Calculations were not checked according to engineering protocol many times, even though the mid level management had time to do so, but rather talked about football, hunting, etc. took 2 hour lunches.
Bad example set for younger employees. Promotions based on whether or not you were in the "in" crowd, not on your work. The list could go on.

Bottom line- You have to judge each office individually, however for ARCADIS, it seems to be all about the bottom line and not the people, and to some degree this all comes down from Corporate..
Plenty OF work
Land Surveyor (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 19, 2014
Plenty of work
Days were long but rewarding
a lot of learning potential
Productive work environment
Communications Project Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 11, 2014
Flex work hours. Collaborative. Opportunities. Talented co-workers.
Senior Data Manager (Former Employee), Lansing, MIJune 11, 2014
Pros: flexible work environment
Cons: laying off long term employees
they are currently highering entry level, and laying off mid and senior level people.
Lots of travel and most challenging job i've ever had
Environmental Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2014
Worked in 11 states in 3.5 years. Lots of daily challenges in remediation work. 100% travel. Typical day involved heavy equipment operations, remediation, environmental sampling.
Top Heavy in upper management
Design Engineer, Level I (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FloridaMay 6, 2014
Great company/place to work...if you can keep your job... This company gobbles up local companies... demands professionalism... has a good work atmosphere.. keeps things positive. Then the budget restraints caused the BIG DOGS to eat their young... they fight over who to lay off, while saving their big salary jobs...

I loved the job, 95% of the people... the upper level management only cared about the numbers. - Very Corporate.
Really a good place to work
Field Tech 5 / Lead Plant Operator (Current Employee), Tampa, FLApril 17, 2014
Really a good place to work. Lots of smart folks. Everyday in the field is a fun day.
nice work environment with challenging projects
Project Geologist (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INMarch 17, 2014
the work environment and people in the local offices are what make this a good company to work for. There are plenty of learning opportunities and the project work is typically challenging.
Working outdoors.
Environmental Field Technician III (Current Employee), Lexington, KYMarch 10, 2014
Drilled and sampled monitoring wells. Also did low flow sampling.
Construction work and demolition.
Not a good place to work
Principal (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 10, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: poor management
Management team is a private club of backstabbers. Stay away from this company.
Great team culture and flexible schedule.
Senior GIS Analyst (Current Employee), Highlands Ranch, COMarch 6, 2014
A good place to learn about the environmental permitting process, NEPA, Environmental Assessments, and related industries.
Not a bad entry level job but professional development is stagnant.
GIS Specialist II (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, good benefits
Cons: no leadership, no advancement, and little work to complete.
Provide support for infrastructure, environmental, and water divisions. I've learned many different extensions and applications of GIS software, as well as completed many tasks in the field using my GIS knowledge. I work in a small group of 3-5 people. Hardest part of the job is not being challenged to my ability. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I have more work than I can possibly do and that gives me an opportunity to be as efficient and accurate as possible to get the work delivered in a timely fashion.
Variety
Geologist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WI and Minneapolis, MNFebruary 18, 2014
Although I traveled about 70% of the time, I was able to work on a variety of jobs. I learned skills at a faster pace than my colleagues at competing environmental firms. Great company to work for!!
Wonderful company with comfortable atmosphere
BILLING ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee), Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great location and offices, friendly people, great computer system
Cons: no underground parking
ARCADIS is a great company, and I enjoyed working there. I would love to work for them again in the future.
Their office is located in beautiful Highlands Ranch right off C470.
I loved my job as a Biller, and was disappointed when I was laid off, because I truly enjoyed going to work each day. My co-workers were friendly, and I felt that the company was a nice size - not too large and not too small. I felt that I wasn't just a number at ARCADIS.
I enjoyed working as a Biller, and loved the computer system (Deltek Vision), which made my job much easier, and it was a pleasure to work with.
I would highly recommend ARCADIS to anyone who is looking for a great company to work for.
Arcadis is not a good bet
Project Manager (Current Employee), Not givenDecember 29, 2013
Pros: appears to be a diverse workplace, some big company benefits
Cons: scattered it platforms, top-heavy management, losing many qualified personnel
I'd recommend staying away from Arcadis (or ARCADIS as they insist it is spelled). My office, the largest in one of the top 10 metro areas, has lost at least 25% of its personnel in the last six months. Some have left on their own, others let go or 'furloughed'. Specifically, the Environmental remediation and industrial hygiene divisions seem to be bleeding personnel. Yet, they look for replacements for people who were let go because of slowing work.

Arcadis is the result of many mergers and the company is still not integrated. In particular, there are overlapping, redundant databases. Being a larger company, there is an extra 2 to 4 layers of management which add to client costs and makes it harder to put together a competitive bid.

Arcadis does manage to hire a good percentage of women engineers and scientists, perhaps being the company that is closest to gender parity in this type of business. That is not easy.

In general, a job seeker should be very wary of Arcadis.

1 2 3

About ARCADIS

ARCADIS US is the US arm of Netherlands-based environmental and engineering services company ARCADIS. The company provides consulting, – Read more