ARCADIS Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Escape the sinking ship
Project Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 16, 2016
Huge turnover. Management is horrible with money, so they are constantly looking for younger people who will do the same work for a fraction of a good wage. Laid off after thirty years of loyalty and hard work because their poor work can't maintain clients. It used to be a good company but they fired all of the people who made the company work. Good luck in this shrinking industry.
Feels Like A Sinking Ship
Environmental Scientist (Current Employee), Clifton Park, NYMarch 8, 2016
Pros: Good place to start a career
Cons: Does not put money into their employees
(This is my experience from someone who has had multiple years of field work with ARCADIS)

Typical engineering company. Nothing very special about the way it treats its employees. Promotes a culture of self promotion and not actual hard work to move up the chain.

Good way to start a career but I would not recommend staying with this company once you have experience. Some people get lucky and find a nice niche but they can get eliminated after a few years depending on how bad the company is doing.

Horrible communication between office staff and field staff. Never got to a job site where the ARCADIS office staff came up with an efficient and common sense plan. There is no emphasis on field-office staff communication. Probably would save millions of dollars for ARCADIS-US if they did. That is no exaggeration I personally have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars of waste because of this lack of communication.

The communication problem is also exacerbated by the current policy of ARCADIS to hire the youngest and cheapest employees to do the field work.

There is some positives though. Can work with some experienced people that have stayed with the company and actually learn a few things. Currently ARCADIS is on a rampage to get rid of experienced people though.

There is no guarantee of having a job from year to year and it will try and use you for every dollar that it gives you. I would view ARCADIS as a good place to get training and that's it.

Like I said earlier get experience and then get out.
Life as a Project Engineer/Health and Safety Environmental Manager/ Project Controls
Health and Safety Environmental Manager (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Co-workers, new work every day, and nice work staff
Cons: ending of contracts
- Work for this company for 8 yrs since I was 19.
- Company is willing to teach and groom new trainees
- Friendly co-workers
- Not doing redundant work every week
- Hardest part about the job was learning new, tedious, and critical work that needed to be completed as soon as possible.
- The most enjoyable part about the job was learning new and intense work on a daily basis.
Opportunities
Project Manager (Former Employee), Manjung, M08October 21, 2015
Pros: We were a team, dispite of each one title and position everyone worked together.
Cons: Work was done in Contract basis, when there was no contracts we had to find a way to keep our jobs
As a young engineer I had the opportunity of joining Arcadis after my graduation. This was one of the best decisions I`ve made, I say this because one thing was different about this company, they didn`t wanna know if I had 10,15 or 20 years of experience in an area, the important part is that I had the will to succeed and the heart to move forward, even when things were not going well. They appreciate the foundation you have and know that a person with a good foundation can learn anything. They gave me the opportunity to grow as an engineer and they made me understand that I can do anything I put my self into and that`s nothing better to know tn this
Very demanding and very busy with minimum resource availability
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), ManchesterOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Good hours, good lunch period
Cons: Poor training, poor support, poor work ethics.
Unrealistic SLA's
Very busy supporting a wide range of clients
Excellent work because it is busy.
Training was absolutely poor and I feel I didnt learn much in the time I worked there.

No support from Trainer or management who also have over par expectations post training.
Work varies based on client projects
Geologist I (Current Employee), Brighton, MISeptember 22, 2015
Communication is very poor. As a new employee the burden is shifted to me to figure out what projects I'm on or I am notified less than a day before that I'm on a job. We're supposed to have project meetings which I'm never involved in, but am expected to know what was discussed. Finally, the way expense reporting and billable hours work is horrible. Lets just say that if I work over 40 hours, but 8 of those hours were to overhead and not a project well I just wont get paid for those 8 hours. At least they are flexible with career paths and letting you decide what type of work you'd like to learn.
Good Experience
SENIOR PROJECT CONTROLS ENGINEER (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Good breadth of projects. The company has a global perspective. Lot of opportunity for collaboration on firm wide level. Focused on few sectors.
Stay away from ARCADIS
Specialist (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 3, 2015
Pros: you can sometimes work from home
Cons: This place sucks
Where to begin? From the beginning a lot of promises were said but never followed up on. Me and fellow colleagues helped build up a new process for a project we were collaborating on globally and were literally used and abused. Once the project was completed management dropped our hours from 50% for example and expect people to stay busy of be threatened with layoff. A lot of blackmailing goes on if you are not of the big boys club or one of their favorites. A lot of favoritism occurs and management likes to speak to people like dirt. Also they expect you to work 10 hours without an outside social life. They also treat women like its 1950. If you are married and have children they make you feel guilty about having to leave work after 8 hours. It is like working on a slave ship for very low pay, I would avoid this company by all means.
Demanding and high stress environment.
GIS Analyst (Former Employee), Highlands Ranch, COJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Ability to work from home
Cons: Requires work on weekends, holidays, and late nights
A typical work day is continually putting out fires. I rarely knew in the morning what I would be working on in the afternoon, but I always knew I would be busy.

Ever since the company became publicly traded on the stock market job security and morale plummeted.
Great Company!
Temporary Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Highlands Ranch, COJuly 7, 2015
I didn't get the chance to work at Arcadis long, but I enjoyed the time I did spend there! Great management and staff! This is a company that really cares about their employees.
Overall, a good place to work
Project Control Manager (Former Employee), Highlands Ranch, COMay 19, 2015
Pros: Benefits, Salary
Cons: Advancement, Reviews, Supervisors
I enjoyed working with the Project Managers from all over the US and Canada as well as Brazil, Chile, & Peru.

I enjoyed the challenges of the larger projects.

I learned the practices and procedures of accounting
Productive workplace with a lot of teaching
Internship (Former Employee), Hoofddorp, NetherlandsMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Free drinks and fruit, nice co-workers, friendly atmosphere, diversity
Cons: Team gained a very bad manager
A productive consultancy with friendly people and a good atmosphere for students/interns to learn a lot. Learned the ways of a consultancy, improved telephone skills and learned to work both independantly and in a team on difficult subjects.
No consistency, no growth or advancement
Office Admin (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2015
Pros: cleaning the world
Cons: years to get promoted, raises are a joke
You'll feel like a little fish in a big boy club world. Employees work extra hard, just to obtain a 1.5-2.5% raise..........
Productive and encouraging workplace
Staff Engineer (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 12, 2015
Supportive, constructive environment. Recent transfer and decrease in workload (company wide) has made it hard to move career forward.
Consulting Specialist Company
Project Controls Planner (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great projects to be a part of
Cons: understaffed projects
Company is very driven around business development. Projects are very impressive to work on. The PMCM division is still working on developing standard procedures. Advancement seems to be promotion to project manager as well as take on business development role concurrently.
Arcadis can't win.
Geologist (Former Employee), Los AngelesMarch 3, 2015
Please understand the majority of these perfect positive reviews of Arcadis are fake. This is a company that tries so hard to impress their competitors and stakeholders that they neglect the well-being of their employees. Arcaadis is seeing a lot of decline - don't believe the heresay of acquisitions/partnering and how strongly they are positioned. They aren't. Staff is dwindling and most major competitors know they are a joke in the industry. What you should focus on is the mass exodus of employees, bipolar management, micro-managers, no office morale, extremely low pay, no sick days, no bonuses, and NO WORK. Layoffs are constant here because Arcadis just cant win.
Has lost its way
Former Employee (Former Employee), U.S.February 24, 2015
Pros: not micro-managed, can work from home if necessary
Cons: management, internal systems
Billability is truly the only thing that matters at this company. You can be the most brilliant, talented, well-liked person imaginable, but if you suddenly, through no fault of your own, find yourself less billable than someone who just processes storage boxes all day, then you go, and they stay. Your timesheet is either your ticket upward or the nail in your coffin.

As much as they try, the divisional walls at the company will never be taken down. If a certain division is in need of a skill, and you have that skill, you may never find each other. People are laid off all the time who could probably have been kept quite busy elsewhere, but management is unaware of how to make that happen.
fast paced and high profile
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 20, 2015
- fast paced work with a variety of clients and projects
-field staff are very busy with field work and depending on job load can involve significant travel
ARCADIS isn't bad, it's VERY BAD.
Engineer I (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2015
For those seeking a successful career, growth, tons of training and mentoring from the best in the industry - don't stop here, keep going. Arcadis grows on acquisition - nothing is organic. In order to please stakeholders, Arcadis buys other companies in hopes of staying profitable - err, afloat. Ask any of the acquired companies, if given the opportunity to partner with Arcadis, if they would do it again? The answer is no. Instead of seamlessly transitioning these other firms, its nothing but chaos. Communication is horrible and accessing the appropriate information you need to effectively complete your job or simply communicate is nothing less of a migraine. The truth is Arcadis, is desperately trying to change its model and streamline markets; the real truth is that it won't solve the obvious issue, in that there is a mass exodus of young talented professionals kicking the walls down to leave.

Like a pseudo-top corporation that is trying to stay on top, Arcadis exemplifies the blueprint, strategy and real life application of slavery in its prime. As much as people want to give this place 3+ stars, the fact of the matter is that there is absolutely NO work/life balance, your co-workers complain about wanting to leave, management is extremely top heavy, the company can barely 'win' work, and there is no opportunity to advance.

My advice to anyone thinking about Arcadis is to think again and keep searching. You will definitely regret it.
Good Company
Senior Scientist (Current Employee), Highlands Ranch, COFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: hard to balance time with personal life.
Overall, ARCADIS is a good company to work for. The company provides good pay and benefits and career progression. Being such a large company, movement throughout the U.S. is easily achievable.
Headquarters