Aramark

4.6K reviews

Aramark Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and productive working alongside and for lots of nice people.
Cashier/Caterer/Dishroom Operator (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: free breakfast and lunch and drinks. great co workers and management. weekends off.
Cons: long days
A typical day at work starts really early. You have to be there by six in the morning to open the cafeteria. Starting the coffee setting out all the condiments and plastic cutlery. Preparing the tills for the day, setting up the prepackaged snack racks and making sure your surroundings are clean and neat. Through out the day your to make sure there are no unsightly messes and keep everything stocked, deal with customer complaints and requests with a smile and respect and be courteous. If you cannot answer one of their questions kindly and politely redirect them to someone who can. Switching from Breakfast to lunch hour but taking away all the breakfast items and making room for the lunch items. Cleaning up spills from the morning rush and just fixing little things that seem out of place. After lunch you must count the tills and just make sure things are clean and in the right place until about three in the afternoon which is beginning of closing, where you return all the racks to the storage area wash the coffee pots, lock all the fridges and freezers and shut off the lights and lock the doors.

I learned Mostly how to work fast and effectively and how to deal with a customers complains and make people happy, and to always give service with a smile and kindness.

Management was great. My boss and I had a great relationship while staying professional. He taught me a lot about how to be a great employee and that even the littlest things count. He was professional and new how to make customers happy. My co-workers were always there if I had a question in the beginning and where – more... always there to assist me if I needed it. They were very hard working and dedicated people that you could also have (work appropriate) fun with.

The hardest part of the job is being up very early and being home very late. this job was a little over an hours drive from my home. So being there that early was difficult some days. And in the winter months it gets dark earlier. so sometimes it was dark when I would get home. Just driving back and forth in the dark and feeling like you have no daylight to yourself.

I loved the people I would serve, they were always so nice. there was the odd person with a complaint but if you could fix it for them they were grateful for it. It felt great to be able to help people and to spend the day doing something you loved. Learning new things and being around great co-workers and management made this job the best one I have ever had. – less
A Fun Coffee Shop Named Cafe Polo
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa Ontario CanadaJune 19, 2013
Pros: being trusted to do our job, without being watch at all times, having great customers that had respect for you, as you for them. no overnights. getting to know your customers by first names.
Cons: being short in stock at times and have to tell my customers that i can not make what they want., no recconition for our hard work.when things broke it took them a long time to be repaired..
Arriving at work to open Cafe shop, Prep 8 thermos of coffee 2 of 4 kinds at the same time open safe and prepare cash register. turn on all electric appliances that needs to heat up. take out all food that is needed to be set out. EX: bread, butter, bagels, 3 kinds. Milk, creamers, sugar packets, fruit basket. Make sure the coolers are up to par. Drinks and juices and beer are in place and is full. Sandwiches, Cold salads, cheese chunks, wraps are full in Cooler.
Wrap fresh muffins,and cookies and set them out. Make sure candy, chocolate bar, chip on rack is full and neat. Make up yogurt desert and jello bowls place in little fridge. Make sure your hot water thermos there was 2 , was ready for tea. Then you were ready to open your door for your customers.So open the doors I did. My day begins serving my customers. I toasted bread, or bagels for breakfast , and for lunch made hot sandwiches, served pizza slices,made specialty sandwiches when asked for by the customers. I learned how to get everything ready and done in a short time and at a study pace. With the management , she let us run the coffee shop on our own, and was their if we needed anything or to place a food or candy or chip order. I had a co work , He had an excellent personality and great team worker. The hardest part of the job was closing up on the afternoon shift so I don't miss catching my bus,and have to pay for a taxi home.The most enjoyable part of the job: Was getting to know my customers and serving them and making them smile and knowing they were pleased with their meals also working with a co work that – more... truly understood what team work was all about. EX; If he was working the morning shift and need it off for something important ,he would ask me to change shifts and when I need something like that he would switch with me. We worked good together at all times. – less
Friendly environment and a lot of experiences gained for future jobs
Warehouse Porter (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2014
Pros: discounted lunches and tickets, great co-workers, friendly management
Typical day
-We usually start in the evening around 3pm-4pm
-Go through a bag check when we clock in
-After signing in we are assigned tasks before the event starts
-During event we are to supply vendors and restaurants with goods that they run out of
-Towards ending of event we do a clean up of empty beer kegs on all levels of the stadium and a clean up of the warehouse
-After event we are to report to the manager and give an update of all tasks that were to be completed
-End of day sign out getting 6-8 hours of work depending on the event

What I've learned
-Protocols and procedures for receiving goods and equipment
-The responsibilities of preserving and storing food items including health and safety factors
-Communication is key when dealing with large quantities of goods that are served to customers on a daily basis, i.e. inventory, and requested goods from vendors and restaurants

-Well organized
-2 or 3 managers always on site in the warehouse
-3 or 4 managers on each level of the building to ensure that there is no miscommunication between the warehouse and the vendors
-Hours are very precise, tracked well and no one is ever short of a payment
-Payments are bi-weekly

Co-workers
-Very fun to be around
-Knowledgable of their job requirements and experienced in our responsibilities
-Safe and responsible regarding ARAMARK standards

Hardest part of the job
-Getting through heavy crowds of people with goods and equipment on busy event days without anyone getting hurt

Most enjoyable part of the job
-Doing our tasks alongside great co-workers
Safe and Friendly Environment at Work
Housekeeping (Current Employee), New Westminster, BCOctober 2, 2014
Pros: health benefits
Cons: long hours of work
As a housekeeper at Aramark I've learned so many things. I've learned to handle patients in a kindly manner. I also watched health assistants with their patients and with I've learned how they deal with their patients. I've also learned that even though you are in the hospital with different supplies of medication it is still easy to catch viruses and diseases. I've learned to protect my self from those viruses and diseases.

I feel like my managers and supervisors have helped a lot with work especially that this place has a safe and friendly environment workplace. In terms of co-workers we help each other and we communicate if there are still job that is still needed to be done. If there is any case of misunderstanding or conflict with co-workers I always honestly explain what happen and make sure that when handling conflicts that I am always calm and tone your voice.

The hardest part of the job is carry heavy weight but I manage to handle it with good strategy and I make sure that when carrying heavy load that my position is always safe. I enjoy learning new things in my job and that everyday I enhance myself with safety and making sure that the area is clean as it should be.
An excellent place for any Executive Chef to work. They provide you with all the tools and you take onus of all that you do.
Executive Chef (Current Employee), TorontoApril 24, 2014
Pros: free food on duty. benefits. pension plan. growth and salary increments yearly.
Cons: pay for parking.
I had a team put in place - they were the 'backbone' that I stood on. Coming in to work every day was a pleasure - knowing that whatever you have taught this staff will be put to use.

I would meet with all of them - sometimes separately - check on the previous days logs and records - check production sheets for the day - Check with Catering and their team to see that all is running smoothly. Touch base with the Sous Chef and the kitchen. Get behind the Ovens when necessary.

Working with all types of cultures and nationalities, it was not just interesting to work alongside them, it was really fun. We were unionized and the staff was really well tempered and dependable.

I learned a lot about management and people skills working with a diversified group.

The hardest part of the job would have to be when a reprimand was necessary. I would have to do a 'write-up' and an action for correction.

Praising the team for a job well done would have to be the best part of the job.
Never go back even if they offered me $20 an hour.
Cleaner (Former Employee), Waterville NSJanuary 16, 2013
Pros: good coworkers, day shift 7-3.
Cons: bosses, pay, bad coworkers, the runs that had to be done.
-A normal work day for me was i would clean 12 bathrooms and 7 break rooms in 8 hours and it would be 15 mins a bathroom and 15 mins a break room.
- I learned that all the rumors about Aramark managers are true. they treat people like they are not important.
-The management was the worst that i have ever worked for. They are a very high turn over rate for a reason. She would jold your job above your head because she said many time "I can replace you at any time because i want people I like and not people will not talk back, get hurt or any other crazy things"
-Some of my co-workers were awesome people I got along with alot of them, i would hang out with them after work. some co-workers i couldn't stand because they were so full of them self.
-Hardest part of my job was when the toilets would blow up/back up and i had to clean up feces off the walls, ceiling, doors, mirrors. When i told my boss i refused to clean up people feces she told me I had to do it or i was fired on the spot.
-The most enjoy part of my job was some of the people.
sincerly heart to facing working life
Team Leader/Night Time Supervisor (Former Employee), ottawaAugust 10, 2014
I have over 3 years managing a business with my current job with Aramark Canada. With my current position of Team Leader at Carleton University, I am responsible for the proper management of a Tim Horton’s location. With this experience, I was the night time manager, being in charge of the business while the day time manager was away. I completed inventory counts, created scheduling to meet specific productivity requirements, analyzed sales numbers, created projected sales for upcoming fiscal periods and ensured efficient floor management of all my staff.
The most hardest and also enjoyable thing during the work is communicated with people. no matter the clients for business or the employee in the stores. The most enjoyable is the co-worker and clients is not only in the working side but also being a friends in the lifes. And aslo the hardest side is the how to make everyone to understanding each other and try to stand on the other people's position to thinking about it.
fun work place
Grill cook, cashier, Tim Hortons baker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 9, 2014
Pros: half off lunches
Cons: by the end of the year i started to lose hours because we were closed for summer
A typical day at work consisted of prepping food in the morning then cooking and serving customers throughout the day, with regular clean up then cleaning and sanitizing my work area at the end of the day. I learned more about the people that I served more than the actual work place, because of my previous experience in the food industry. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with. I was mostly on my own through out the day because I was the only grill cook and I had my own station. The hardest part of my day would have been the lunch rush because I was constantly on the go, although I wouldn't really consider it hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and learning about their cultures. Because it was a collage I meet a lot of new people from different backgrounds and different stories.
Fine dining establishment catering to our Club Members
Hostess (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 1, 2014
Pros: meeting exciting people every shift
Cons: long shifts
A typical day at works involves, organizing the reservation list, light cleaning of the bathrooms, restocking supplies around the restaurant, greeting customers and walking them to their table for the evening. We make arrangements with customers who request to keep their table for the whole event and as a hostess are responsible for maintaining a happy and respected environment.

The staff at Club Red is very diverse in the sense that everyone offers different skills to their job field.

The hardest part of the job is the management. Our managers are very dedicated to the restaurant and it's customers but often do not have any system in place for their staff. Rules and schedules are constantly being changed without notice to the staff, which makes it very difficult to stay up to date with the new policies and schedules.
Never worked somewhere more disorganized and unprofessional
food service (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Location and free food/ beverage
Cons: Everything else, especially management
I have never been treated worse as an employee in my life.

Management has no respect for staff and are completely unwilling to accommodate for people in school or who need time off for appointments, holidays, etc and a particular manager I could only describe as the type who feels the need to use fear tactics to keep employees in line, as they don't REALLY manage the store. In fact, most employees are even hired without any sort of interview process, and it shocks people when staff does not come into work or things are stolen.

Management aside, I truly enjoyed my coworkers and the workplace itself despite the cons. Customers were unbelievable and I would definitely recommend this workplace to anyone (especially chefs and assuming management changes)
Working with Aramark Canda has been the best job I have ever had.
Food Service Worker Hostess (Current Employee), New Glasgow, NSOctober 6, 2013
Pros: lunch discounts and free coffee, tea. and each year there is a free babaque, corn boil, chilli day.
Cons: bulling and sexual talk, and hurting other co-workers feelings and nothing is being done about it.
very busy each and every day, no time for standing around there is always something to do. I have learned that no matter where you work there are things over looked and bully's that make you feel bad almost every day. The management doesn't always know what is happening and if they do they don't always do anything to stop it. My co-workers think they know more than you and are always acting like a boss rather than a co-worker. The hardest part of the job is taking the abuse of the the other co-workers. The most enjoyable part is meeting the patients and get to know their likes and dislikes.
tumbs down
Catering supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2012
Pros: `
Im an currently working with this company and this is not were i see my future. i am a strong independent woman who can work with a team and alone. the amount of disrespect and lack of communcation in this feild is poor(very)

I typical day includes getting orders ready, making sure they go out on time. working with the employes when their is an issue. Getting things ready for next day deliverys and placing stock.

My co-worker we work will with each other and understand each others needs, but we are all very unhappy with management.

The hardest part would be not growing in the company. i am a hard worker and need something that will keep me on my toes and allow me to see a future. this place does not allow that.

Most enjoyable part is sometimes being my own boss. i dont need someone to watch over me i know what im doing.
Aramark Higher Education is a stable honest employer.
COUNTER ATTENDANT-September (Former Employee), University of Alberta, Edmonton ABApril 23, 2013
Pros: we have a meal program where meals at a cheaper rate are deducted from our paycheque.
Cons: there should probably be more efforts at communication between staff.
A typical day at Aramarks' is not usually stressful. However there are employees who are stressed by the work and it requires some skill to deal with them. Sometimes if I offer assistance, this is enough, other times being assertive clears up situations. A sense of humour usually is helpful. I like the fact that kitchen work in general is physical. I can move about. I am not sitting all day. I like the gradual learning about food, even indirectly as it is practical knowledge. I like the continuous movement of customers and staff because usually people are busy. Usually busy people are happy people.
Very friendly and all around caring enviroment.
CASHIER (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 17, 2013
Pros: only $1 to eat lunch
Cons: standing in one spot for 9 hours..
I would come in count my float, greet my fellow co-workers, I would check and make sure everything was filled up, such as coffee bagel
products are all in place and greet customers with a smile. I learned how to cash out floats, also helped with in house orders such as meals and conferences. I enjoyed working with the staff a great team. The manager was one that actually took time and got to know his employees and cares. The hardest parts of the job would have to be the crazy days... The days of special events. I had to serve over six hundred people in one afternoon. It was a little challenging but I got through it and survived. Over all the best thing about this job was the students and there sense of humor, The atmosphere was always bright!
Aramark
Cook (Former Employee), Bridgewater, NSOctober 3, 2012
Pros: i love working in a kitchen
Cons: min wage, and management and co-workers were not team players.
I loved working in the kitchen but the staff was not a team player. they talked about everyone and would not help each other. the manager was rude and moody and never there. Always outside on a smoke break. I learned a lot rom that job, and working shifts, it was nice to work alone sometimes, got more done.
the hardest part of the job was dealing with co-workers who would not do their part. And always left the dishes for me to do. they never washed a single one. Just threw them in the sink and let to go home, where I would stay and do them and not get paid.
The most enjoyable part, i got to wait on over 1000 men at lunch and make up my own hungry man meals which they loved. When I left, they asked for them and no one knew how to make them. The men loved my cooking.
fun workplace and enjoyed working the camp job
Dishwasher/ relif work (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 19, 2013
Pros: friendly people to work with, teamwork, enjoyable, learned more skills, dependable people to work with if need help with something, overall a great experience working on camp
Cons: one of the camps did not have free calling any wheres, cell recption was not good because of being in the bush working
Early morning start for streches before worked. ive learned being devotated to my job to get my work done on time and the exercizes helped get my body in gear for work helped alot. management was very good. the hardest part of the job when i first started was to get to know where everything was but when i did things went very smoothly for me. My most enjoyable part of the job was the people were friendly and treated me with respect and learning new skills.
a very physical job,great food and bedrooms.
Camp Attendant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 21, 2012
Pros: good pay
Cons: to far from home
the hardest part of the job is when the camp was full we would have alot of rooms to do and also when there were alot of checkouts to do,on my first day of work i had 20 checkouts but my boss was real good he had a couple girls come over to my trailer to help me out .we each had 1 or 2 trailers each and around 50 to 60 room and 2 to 3 bathrooms/showers.the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all kinds of different people from all over the world and i made some real good friends that i still keep in touch with.I would have liked to stay working there but it was very far from home and my kids who are teenagers needed me home to look after them because my husband had to go to camp and he makes alot more money then I do.
No benefits, minimum wage, limited mobility through union structure
Barista (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 6, 2014
Pros: some coworkers enjoyable
Cons: restricted mobility, no benefits
I've worked for a corporate Starbucks so I was under the impression that moving to a licensed store would be a seamless transition and that I would have respect from other employees and management due to my background. I received little respect, however, from other employees, and efforts to correct improper procedures were rebuffed nearly every day. Health code violations due to understaffing and employee apathy. Union structure severely limits mobility, and merit plays no role in promotions. Bare minimum wage and literally no benefits (not even the free drinks that any other Starbucks allows employees to have).
Good place to work all around
Material Handler/Forklift Operator/ team leader (Current Employee), Ingersoll, ONJanuary 11, 2016
My biggest issue with this position has been job security.
We are sub contracted so there is always the threat another company can replace us, leaving us out of work. Overall it has been a great place to work, I have been treated fairly and enjoyed my time with this company. The only other issue I had was lack of room for advancement due to it being a smaller sub contracted position. I enjoyed the challenges of such a busy environment and the responsibilities I was trusted with. I learned a lot from this job, most importantly I learned how to be in a position of authority and maintain the trust and respect of my co workers while keeping productivity at the forefront of my duties.
Excellent Company to work for
Area Manager (Former Employee), Manitoba, Saskatchewan and AlbertaJune 23, 2014
Pros: each day was different
Cons: extended travel and time away from home
While involved with ARAMARK I was involved with selling, opening, marketing, construction, staffing, menu planning, finances, transition plus all other items associated with a large Food Service contract.

My day to day duties were very varied and it ranged from dealing with very senior Clients to assisting the newest employee. Every day brought its own challenges and rewards and I was certainly a hands on manager operationally while controlling the finances from a back of the house prospective.

I am a very dedicated, loyal, reliable, trustworthy manager who strives to do the best each and every day for all guest's, Client's and company alike.
Headquarters