Applied Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

Warning!!!!!! You know it's gotta be bad when the company is begging the employees to higher it's rating on Glassdoor
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2016
Poor Management. One person from the senior management, worst I've ever seen. No sense of direction.
- The lies stretch so much he has trouble keeping up with them.
- Loves listening to himself talk.
- Puts words in peoples mouths, just like how he puts artificial facts in his head.
- Always making excuses like a child.
- Yelling/insulting at other employees nearly everyday in person or on phone.
Pros
bad tasting coffee
Cons
Your life ends here. End of the road.
Last refuge of the desparate
Professional (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILApril 12, 2016
In a down economy, Applied is a decent place to get some starting experience in software. For the most part, coworkers are nice and helpful, and the location isn't bad if you live in the South Suburbs. However, management is heavy with lifers who've never worked anywhere else (and who would fail spectacularly at any other company) and private equity turnaround artists who will move on as soon as their finished picking Applied's carcass clean. No matter how hard you work, your salary will never reflect it, and rules apply differently to managers and children of executives.
Pros
Okay location and good way to get experience.
Cons
Compensation is entirely unfair.
RUN!!!
Support Tech (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 20, 2015
Where to begin. Low pay for the industry, don't expect to make a killing here unless you still live with your parents and have no bills. Insurance package is weak and expensive I think it's just over Obamacare minimum requirements. Raises are a complete joke, $500 a year, let that sink in less than $10 a week they consider a raise. They will tell you that they don't have the money to give out a better raise then weeks later buy a new company, or remodel some part of the building or hire one of the CEOs buddies for a newly created position making 6 figures. No bonuses of any kind unless you are management or sales. You will only receive negative feedback from your superiors. The dept. that handles almost all of the calls that come in are the lowest paid of all departments. The support department has the highest turnover rate of any other department here. In one year it is not unusual for the entire dept to "flip". There is no future unless you kiss up to the right people. Management only follows their rules and guidelines when it suits them to do so. Most of the supervisors have no idea how the program even works and have not even worked on the program or took a call in 10 years, the most recent supervisor has less than a year on the phones working on the software. Management plays favorites and will give those people special opportunities not given to people who deserve it. People who dont deserve promotions are given it over tenured employees with more qualifications. Supervisors basically have no job requirements and aren't required to follow their schedule. Some supervisors  more... focus all their efforts into food parties rather than work, and have lower techs do their jobs for them. Management has no reality of what it actually going on underneath them, most of their focus goes into customer retention.  less
N/A
Support tech (Current Employee) –  University ParkSeptember 29, 2015
Great Company, Great People, pay could be better but very convenient for locals. Would highly recommend, great place to start.
Low Pay, Favoritism runs rampant
Support Tech 2 (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 29, 2015
LOW PAY If you want to go anywhere and are not best friends with supervisors forget it Favoritism is rampant Supervisors don't know how to manage their employees and do nothing about complaints besides come up with excuses. Raises are a joke. Seriously... they consider $500 a raise. Lies, tell you they don't have money to give raises, but manage to buy up multi million dollar companies, or renovate bathrooms,…

Raises are extremely low ($250 to 500) to none at all. Starting pay is amazingly low. When the subject is brought up employees are told it's because of the area, as though your talent varies upon location. Speaking of location, it's in the middle of nowhere, close to nothing good, often referred to as "the ghetto". Breaks do not exist. 30 mins for lunch is all you get. The walking path around the building is just a tease, since no one has time to walk on it anyway. Rewards are 10 dollar gift cards for EXCEPTIONAL work. You heard me, 10 dollars, perhaps 1-2 times a year. Meetings about the employee satisfaction surveys resulted in morale being lower than ever, with management basically saying "we don't care". Some departments were told there is zero chance for promotions or advancement unless you quit to go elsewhere. What you start doing will be the same until you leave. It doesn't get better it gets harder. It's like if you started flipping burgers at Mcdonalds, and later were promoted to manager, only you still did all the duties of a burger flipper in addition to management duties. There are NO perks for being experienced. Most of the experience has fled anyway
  more... so that's a moot point. Changes to reviews document every conceivable aspect of working (being late, sick time, staying late, covering shifts, you name it) and are posted in 'scoreboard' form to pit against your co-workers. Veiled threats are emailed on a daily basis about workload waiting, calls holding, and "take this call or ELSE". Workload is demanding, constant, and numbing. Employees must request a pass from existing work, to do other required work. Depending on department, work experience may not even be helpful. Some products written and designed in 20+ year old technology which functions illogically and never improved.  less
Pros
None I can think of
Cons
Low pay, Favoritism, poor management
It was a friendly place to work.
Software Technician (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJune 27, 2015
I provided support to company's that used our software. We would link to their computers and fix the issue that was causing trouble. The hardest part of the job was figuring out what some of the customers were having difficulty with.
Always risk, never any reward
Employee (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 3, 2015
Applied is treated by its owners and executives as an investment, not as a group of people. It's a case study in vulture capitalism, where employees are given absurdly low compensation, stingy benefits, and no time off in exchange for working around the clock on matters of huge significance that should be better staffed, but that you will be expected to handle all by yourself. Management will heap blame on their reports when something goes wrong, then ignore them and take all the credit when things go right. Whatever you do, don't point out the criminal degree to which you're being underpaid, especially after your boss pulls in driving a brand new $60,000 car or returns from a "management retreat" in Vail. Requesting commensurate compensation is tantamount to treason, and will get you laid off, once your boss works up the nerve to tell you.
Not bad
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILSeptember 4, 2014
Not a bad company to work for, departments may have different views due to management styles.
A company with no interest in its employees
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 12, 2014
Pay was alright, but not great.
There was always a feeling that you could lose your job on any given day, and you saw it happen to your friends from each department.
Not the greatest place to work
Data Processor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTJune 18, 2014
Some of the management is always so miserable and very vindictive and make sure to make their employees lives miserable. Every little thing is scrutinized. The pay is horrible if you have a family to support. Once you deduct taxes, you are basically making minimum wage.
Productive work renovating the building
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Tinley Park, ILJune 12, 2014
Great environment to work in with a great maintenance staff surrounding me.
Pros
lenient boss
Cons
people in the building were god aweful
Manage Insurance Agents( Clients) Implementation of Ancillary Products
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTApril 18, 2014
Responsible for implementing ancillary on link products for clients ( Insurance agencies of various sizes). I start out when assigned, indrucing myself and explaining the process based on their needs. I do the set up their product ( CSR24 and Website) based on conversation then I plan 6 basic trainings with key contact and their chosen staff. I also am responsible for SEO set up , reports and updating client websites to improve SEO status.

The hardest and the best part of the job is deciding the proper process and teaching style to implement/train clients before I pass them along.
Pros
flxibility, helping clients, balance of learning technology but working with people
Cons
all trainings are on phone, management not appreciate of customer service skills, lack of advancement
Challenging and rewarding place to be
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILFebruary 4, 2014
Typical Day

I have a daily status meeting with my agile team to discuss what tasks we worked on/completed yesterday, what the plan is for today and if there are any obstacles that are preventing me from completing my daily tasks. I look in the team queue to see if there are any defects fixes completed that require testing. If there are, I review the documentation and plan the best way to fix it. Will we need a testing plan/test case put in place, will I need a special environment, or would an automated script help me to test this, this usually depends on the amount of data I will need to have available to thoroughly test the defect fix. Once I have my plan in place, I will test the defect, add notes to validate my testing and move on to either another defect fix. If there are no other defect fixes, I will proceed to enhancement requests, feature work, or writing more automated scripts or test cases for tasks that will be coming down in the near future. This preparation may include review technical specs or design documentation or organizing meetings to discuss specifications.

My team has been on a special project regarding a fragile piece of functionality within our software, which required my organization of test cases and workflows that needed to be tested; as well as being the technical recourse for the specifications for this functionality. This project has taken up most of time for the past few months.
Pros
flexibility and location
Cons
compensation
A great stepping stone, nothing more.
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILDecember 7, 2013
First thing is first, I have enjoyed my time at Applied Systems. They do train you in what you need to know for your position. Supervisors and your coworkers will try to help you however they can, the environment promotes talking with other people in other departments. I have learned many things about Microsoft Windows, Remote desktop environments, Active Directory etc. That part of your knowledge has to be learned on your own though, as they do not provide any further education outside of your initial training. And that can be the hardest part of the job, if you are a person that cannot learn or research on your own. Otherwise, the salary range for ANY position in the company is below average of what you'll find in the area. And it's hard to move to other positions or departments due to the culture of the company as well. You'll probably stuck in one position for about 5 years before you can even consider trying to move somewhere else. This is why it's better to use a position there as experience and continue forward, the people there are nice but there's nothing outside of that.
Software and Hardware Tech
Software Technician (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILNovember 24, 2013
Everything was handled via the telephone:
working with consumers/companies who needed help with the hardware and or software issues, which I provided over the phone and or dialed in to check to make sure the issue was resolved.
Pros
helping people
"Quantity, not quality"
Software Support Technician (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILAugust 1, 2013
I realized almost immediately that our main concern was not Customer Service, despite working in a call center. We were to get off the phone as soon as possible instead of helping the caller. Some supervisors were good; others VERY incompetent. The pay was considerably less than what other software companies pay their techs.
Pros
bagel tuesday
Cons
dealing with some incompetent superiors, low pay, dealing with 'quantity, not quality, ' no breaks except 1/2 hour unpaid lunch, no training on new technology
Good Career Stepping Stone
Support Technician (Current Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 2, 2013
Applied is a great way to learn about the technology industry, and provides good training. The lunch hours are short and the pay doesn't compare to other tech companies. The turnover rate is terrible and management doesn't seem to want to address any of these issues.
Cons
short breaks, low pay
Good, high energy company
Territorial Marketing and Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah, NebraskaMay 7, 2013
A typical day of work when on the road would be meeting with the principles of Independent Insurance Agencies. Demonstrating/marketing and then ultimately trying to close the deal.
A lot of travel either from flying and/or driving.
I had excellent company support.
The hardest part of job was it was an exhausting job. Generally was gone 3 weeks out of the month. Sales demands were high.
I enjoyed meeting many different people and seeing the country.
Overall a memorable experience.
Pros
excellent company; product and support. compensation was not that rewarding.
Cons
high pressure; demanding. tough on the family life
It's a job, but not a good employer
Support Technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILMarch 21, 2013
The company started out as a privately owned company with a friendly, hometown attitude. It is now owned by a corporation and not a good place to work. For the kind of work you end up doing, starting salaries are way below other companies. Raises are minuscule, if you even get one. There are benefits, all of which you pay a portion, although the health insurance is poor to moderate coverage at best. You do not get breaks. The company only allows what is legally required, a 30 minute, unpaid lunch. Management is detached from the workers and although they say they want your honest opinion about your job, it ends up putting a permanent mark on your head. They've instituted what many consider a "Survivor" style evaluation process where every month, the lowest rated employee in a group or department is identified. There is a "watchdog" group keeping track of everything you do and have a nearly "zero tolerance" policy on misconduct, job performance and even employee mistakes. You often get stuck with something difficult to take care of, causing you to stay late and you don't have much choice in the matter. Trainings and meetings can be scheduled before your start time and you're required to attend. The only positive thing I ended up liking are the coworkers and gratitude from customers.
Pros
nice coworkers, some nice customers
Productive work place.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  University Park, ILJuly 30, 2012
Great co-workers who are very helpful. Work environment is a great learning experience.

2.6