Applebee's Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
A great company to work for. Was rewarded well for following procedure.
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 May 2014
My days at Applebee's were extremely busy. I would be responsible for having enough staff. Checking in with guests to ensure they were enjoying their stay. We did Apple Rallies where we would discuss the activities of the day. We would offer incentives for the staff to sell add on's. I had to coach and encourage staff of procedures. I was responsible for balancing tills and bank drops. I loved the staff and regulars.The upper management were extremely supportive.
Pros
Fun lively atmosphere
Cons
Too many late nights.
Bad as a dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 February 2014
One manager was very good and treated the employee's well. As a dishwasher you don't want to fall behind so you would work 8 hours straight (except for when the good manager was in, he would get someone to cover while you went on break). The hardest part was working 8 straight hours without a break which happened on most days. In my position there wasn't too much that was enjoyable about the job. A typical day involves showing up and having a lot of dishes already waiting for you from lunch. When you finally get caught up the dinner rush comes and then you just try to keep up. When you catch up again and closing time comes you get all the cooks equipment to clean which keeps you there even longer. At the old Applebee's they would have 2 people during dinner rushes and when the rush was over you would have time for a break, but it seems like they got cheap and now only use one at all times. As well a lot of the times (except for the one good manager) the managers would clock you out a early while still expecting you to finish cleaning all the cooks things, as well as the dishwasher area, therefore making you lose hours. The co-workers were great to work with. The only enjoyable part of the job was receiving the tip out money.
Pros
tip out money
Cons
no breaks, early clock out
Enjoyable Place to Work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, Ontario28 January 2014
This company was a very enjoyable place to work, the employees got along very well and the company has competitive wages and positions.
Unfortunately the management at this specific location were extremely unprofessional and often caused some of the workers to quit or become extremely emotional. The turnover rate was an extremely unattractive attribute of the company.
Pros
Enjoyable coworkers
Cons
Unprofessional management
Applebee's
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 November 2013
A typical day at work includes dealing with every day situations such as going the extra mile to please people. I have learned that I am never right regardless of my expertise because the customer is always correct- the reason being is that without a customer, the worker is jobless. The co-workers are out-going and positive.
well organized and great management
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON28 October 2013
well working at applebee's i learnt how to accomplish task even faster in a very high paced environment , management was always on top of the tasks at hand and it made everything more organized and simple.
Fun place to work
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON2 October 2013
Overall, a fun experience! You get to be out & socializing while getting paid.
Functional workplace
Restaurant hostess/expeditor/food runner (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON27 September 2013
Applebee's was a very fast pace workplace, everyone was able to keep up, and it functioned well
Not a productive environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 September 2013
Work was long and extremely boring. The kitchen was not very well organized, a lot of my time was spent traveling trough the kitchen. This could have all been avoided if they planned the layout of the kitchen better. Management was slow and unmotivated. Did not make me envy working there for long.
Cons
Bad Hours
Great good work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB2 August 2013
too far for me
stress
no break time sometime yes take break time
manager is good no plm
work 3 pm to 11 pm
Applebee's
Dish washer and Line cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, On22 July 2013
Applebee's was fun to work at because there were many people around to work with and it made easier to go through the day. We were allowed to listen to music and that made it easier to work in. I learned how to work properly in terms of managing my time appropriately how to cook my new things. My co-workers were nice and easy to get along with and it was very multicultural. My managers and supervisors were also nice and did the best they could to help out and provide for me, The hardest part of the job for me was the rush of orders on a busy night however I enjoyed the atmosphere the best.
Pros
50 percent off food
Cons
Not enough working hours
Productive and fun workplace
Cook helper (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON20 June 2013
Every day, when I arrive at Applebee's, I change into my uniform. Afterwards, I am given certain jobs by my supervisor. I either wash dishes, clean, prepare side dishes, or prepare desserts. The managers are serious but also fun to work with. They know their priorities. The hardest part of the job was memorizing all of the weights and ingredients of food. The easiest part of the job was washing dishes.
Largest Casual Dining Company in the World
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Cambridge, Mississauga28 January 2013
Typical day included team meetings and communications, reviewing SnLs, ordering, line checks, expediting during service, touching tables, dealing with guest concerns, following up on cleaning duties, making adjustments to labour, etc.
I always pay attention to equipment/plumbing/refrigeration repairs looking for ways for pre-emptive maintenance or solutions for simple repairs. I'm computer savvy and learned a lot about the use of Facebook/Twitter/Four Square in regards to restaurant marketing. I understand the power of team dynamics and how to perpetuate a positive atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job is also the most rewarding. That is, bringing a group of people together that can get along and strive to promote the business as a team, and still be able to behave professionally under stressful situations. When you have the right team, the job is very enjoyable.
Pros
free meals
Cons
It had an enjoyable environment to be in and everyone was very kind.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2013
Was usually very busy, there was never a time for a break. Overall I enjoyed with working with most of my co-workers and I had great managers. There were many stressful times when there would be a huge rush but I was able to get through it. Overall it was a great job.
fun place to work but isnt for me.
Dishwasher/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON22 January 2013
I enjoyed this job only because I like to work but management at this location made it a bad experience.
Fun and easy going
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia10 January 2013
Fun and really great enviroment. The people were easy to get along with and management was easy to talk to and very understanding of anything you had to say to them.
Pros
great people
Cons
closed down
a good place to start a career
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 October 2012
the work is hard but rewarding. the people are nice. im a new immigrant and they are really patient to me because my english is not good
Pros
decent tips
Cons
works only at nights
Fun place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 October 2012
Started as a prep-cook worked up to supervisor.
My hours were set Wed-Sun 8am -4pm.
Lots of practices and procedures to follow.
Lots of guidelines.
Pros
guidelines
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 June 2012
stress and good work hard and stress of weekend night shifts co worker is good
Pros
free but 50% off
Cons
some time not take break time
A makeup Factory
Line Cook and dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON24 May 2012
Its not for everyone, u have to like factory work
u start as a temp aswell
Pros
easy work
Cons
line work same routine