Applebee's Employee Reviews

Good management and staff
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary28 July 2015
The staff all works together to make it a great workplace environment. The management is really good and respectful. The food is good and customers are friendly.
Pros
fun workplace, fast paced
Cons
lack of hours, money
This location closed down, but I loved working there.
Hostess/server (Former Employee) –  Brampton5 June 2015
I would come in before opening and clean up the dining room, prepare children's menus (by packing crayons and a coloring sheet into little brown bags) then help with kitchen prep work. once the doors opened, seating guests and cleaning tables were my main duties.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Long Friday shifts
Fun workplace but few opportunities for career advancement
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2015
Worked for the company for 4 years before being laid off due to economic difficulties. Easy going work environment, health and safety retraining every few months. Not an idea place to work if you actually want to grow in the hospitality industry. Tips were pretty bad each week.
Overall good learning experience.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2015
Applebee's was my first job in a restaurant. The management was not very cooperative with staff issues and made it difficult to communicate with them.
Average Workplace
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON13 March 2015
- Awesome co-workers
- Sometimes long hours
- Great Management
- Not guaranteed hours
- Love working with everyone there
Pros
Great People
Cons
Long Hours, No Guaranteed Hours
excellent customer service
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 March 2015
3 times a week i open the restaurant make sure everything is prepared such as salad bar, sauces, drink stand
weekend i was one of the top server.
i provided excellent customer servers
assist customers
Nice and Friendly
Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 March 2015
Work at Applebee's was a great experience because I got to work with people who were older than me so I got a chance to learn and gain experience from my workers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Mississauga
Could be better.
Hostess and Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 March 2015
General manager was nice and did her job the way she should. Whoever owns the chain should invest in night cleaners, quality ingredients, and the renovation of the restaurant to look more modern and classier. The employees do not get paid enough to clean the filth off the restaurant on top of their ACTUAL duties as cooks, servers, bartenders, hosts, etc. But to further touch on the quality ingredients bit, Applebee's should really consider that so they could mark up their prices with reason. The fact that their food is seriously inexpensive attracts all around awful clientele. You have to spend money to earn money. Maybe they wouldn't have to close so many locations if they considered this.
Applebee's life
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  mississauga, On20 October 2014
The shift varies from a 9am opening shift, 12pm over dinner, or a 5/6pm close. besides morning prep, setting up the line for service is part of the opening duties. usually two cooks open the line on a normal day. management has changed but I'm not sure for the better, my co-workers are all lovely.
Pros
nice people
Cons
awful hours / awful guests
Hired through Hiring Fair along with 100 others. Lots of lay offs after 3 months.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta4 September 2014
Did all necessary prep, put orders away, cleaned, organized cooler.
Wide diversity in the workplace.
Pros
Learned new recipes.
Cons
Too many people hired so not enough work to keep eveyone busy, therefore lay offs.
very productive
Dishwasher/Prep (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, Ontario23 June 2014
a typical day at work would be to go in and start washing dishes all day or night. i learned how to keep up with all the big dinner rushes and kept it very clean. the management was pretty good. the hardest part was to try and keep up with the big dinner rushes.
Pros
half off food
Cons
got very wet and damp
Family oriented restaurant
Hostess/Server, (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  thunder bay, ontario5 May 2014
Kind management with reasonable requirements. Friendly atmosphere. Learnt serving experience.
A great company to work for. Was rewarded well for following procedure.
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 May 2014
My days at Applebee's were extremely busy. I would be responsible for having enough staff. Checking in with guests to ensure they were enjoying their stay. We did Apple Rallies where we would discuss the activities of the day. We would offer incentives for the staff to sell add on's. I had to coach and encourage staff of procedures. I was responsible for balancing tills and bank drops. I loved the staff and regulars.The upper management were extremely supportive.
Pros
Fun lively atmosphere
Cons
Too many late nights.
Bad as a dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON23 February 2014
One manager was very good and treated the employee's well. As a dishwasher you don't want to fall behind so you would work 8 hours straight (except for when the good manager was in, he would get someone to cover while you went on break). The hardest part was working 8 straight hours without a break which happened on most days. In my position there wasn't too much that was enjoyable about the job. A typical day involves showing up and having a lot of dishes already waiting for you from lunch. When you finally get caught up the dinner rush comes and then you just try to keep up. When you catch up again and closing time comes you get all the cooks equipment to clean which keeps you there even longer. At the old Applebee's they would have 2 people during dinner rushes and when the rush was over you would have time for a break, but it seems like they got cheap and now only use one at all times. As well a lot of the times (except for the one good manager) the managers would clock you out a early while still expecting you to finish cleaning all the cooks things, as well as the dishwasher area, therefore making you lose hours. The co-workers were great to work with. The only enjoyable part of the job was receiving the tip out money.
Pros
tip out money
Cons
no breaks, early clock out
Enjoyable Place to Work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, Ontario28 January 2014
This company was a very enjoyable place to work, the employees got along very well and the company has competitive wages and positions.
Unfortunately the management at this specific location were extremely unprofessional and often caused some of the workers to quit or become extremely emotional. The turnover rate was an extremely unattractive attribute of the company.
Pros
Enjoyable coworkers
Cons
Unprofessional management
Applebee's
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON6 November 2013
A typical day at work includes dealing with every day situations such as going the extra mile to please people. I have learned that I am never right regardless of my expertise because the customer is always correct- the reason being is that without a customer, the worker is jobless. The co-workers are out-going and positive.
well organized and great management
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON28 October 2013
well working at applebee's i learnt how to accomplish task even faster in a very high paced environment , management was always on top of the tasks at hand and it made everything more organized and simple.
Functional workplace
Restaurant hostess/expeditor/food runner (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON27 September 2013
Applebee's was a very fast pace workplace, everyone was able to keep up, and it functioned well
Not a productive environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 September 2013
Work was long and extremely boring. The kitchen was not very well organized, a lot of my time was spent traveling trough the kitchen. This could have all been avoided if they planned the layout of the kitchen better. Management was slow and unmotivated. Did not make me envy working there for long.
Cons
Bad Hours
Great good work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB2 August 2013
too far for me
stress
no break time sometime yes take break time
manager is good no plm
work 3 pm to 11 pm
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Applebee's. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9