Applebee's Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall good learning experience.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 5, 2015
Applebee's was my first job in a restaurant. The management was not very cooperative with staff issues and made it difficult to communicate with them.
Not a productive environment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 24, 2013
Work was long and extremely boring. The kitchen was not very well organized, a lot of my time was spent traveling trough the kitchen. This could have all been avoided if they planned the layout of the kitchen better. Management was slow and unmotivated. Did not make me envy working there for long.
Cons
bad hours
Applebee's
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 6, 2013
A typical day at work includes dealing with every day situations such as going the extra mile to please people. I have learned that I am never right regardless of my expertise because the customer is always correct- the reason being is that without a customer, the worker is jobless. The co-workers are out-going and positive.
Average Workplace
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 13, 2015
- Awesome co-workers
- Sometimes long hours
- Great Management
- Not guaranteed hours
- Love working with everyone there
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, no guaranteed hours
very productive
Dishwasher/Prep (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, OntarioJune 23, 2014
a typical day at work would be to go in and start washing dishes all day or night. i learned how to keep up with all the big dinner rushes and kept it very clean. the management was pretty good. the hardest part was to try and keep up with the big dinner rushes.
Pros
half off food
Cons
got very wet and damp
It had an enjoyable environment to be in and everyone was very kind.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJanuary 22, 2013
Was usually very busy, there was never a time for a break. Overall I enjoyed with working with most of my co-workers and I had great managers. There were many stressful times when there would be a huge rush but I was able to get through it. Overall it was a great job.
Hired through Hiring Fair along with 100 others. Lots of lay offs after 3 months.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaSeptember 4, 2014
Did all necessary prep, put orders away, cleaned, organized cooler.
Wide diversity in the workplace.
Pros
learned new recipes.
Cons
too many people hired so not enough work to keep eveyone busy, therefore lay offs.
Largest Casual Dining Company in the World
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Cambridge, MississaugaJanuary 28, 2013
Typical day included team meetings and communications, reviewing SnLs, ordering, line checks, expediting during service, touching tables, dealing with guest concerns, following up on cleaning duties, making adjustments to labour, etc.
I always pay attention to equipment/plumbing/refrigeration repairs looking for ways for pre-emptive maintenance or solutions for simple repairs. I'm computer savvy and learned a lot about the use of Facebook/Twitter/Four Square in regards to restaurant marketing. I understand the power of team dynamics and how to perpetuate a positive atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job is also the most rewarding. That is, bringing a group of people together that can get along and strive to promote the business as a team, and still be able to behave professionally under stressful situations. When you have the right team, the job is very enjoyable.
Pros
free meals
Cons
well organized and great management
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 28, 2013
well working at applebee's i learnt how to accomplish task even faster in a very high paced environment , management was always on top of the tasks at hand and it made everything more organized and simple.
Fun and easy going
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova ScotiaJanuary 10, 2013
Fun and really great enviroment. The people were easy to get along with and management was easy to talk to and very understanding of anything you had to say to them.
Pros
great people
Cons
closed down
a good place to start a career
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 13, 2012
the work is hard but rewarding. the people are nice. im a new immigrant and they are really patient to me because my english is not good
Pros
decent tips
Cons
works only at nights
Fun place to work
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONOctober 10, 2012
Started as a prep-cook worked up to supervisor.
My hours were set Wed-Sun 8am -4pm.
Lots of practices and procedures to follow.
Lots of guidelines.
Pros
guidelines
Family oriented restaurant
Hostess/Server, (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  thunder bay, ontarioMay 5, 2014
Kind management with reasonable requirements. Friendly atmosphere. Learnt serving experience.
Functional workplace
Restaurant hostess/expeditor/food runner (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONSeptember 27, 2013
Applebee's was a very fast pace workplace, everyone was able to keep up, and it functioned well
fun place to work but isnt for me.
Dishwasher/Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 22, 2013
I enjoyed this job only because I like to work but management at this location made it a bad experience.
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2012
stress and good work hard and stress of weekend night shifts co worker is good
Pros
free but 50% off
Cons
some time not take break time
A makeup Factory
Line Cook and dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 24, 2012
Its not for everyone, u have to like factory work
u start as a temp aswell
Pros
easy work
Cons
line work same routine
Bad as a dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 23, 2014
One manager was very good and treated the employee's well. As a dishwasher you don't want to fall behind so you would work 8 hours straight (except for when the good manager was in, he would get someone to cover while you went on break). The hardest part was working 8 straight hours without a break which happened on most days. In my position there wasn't too much that was enjoyable about the job. A typical day involves showing up and having a lot of dishes already waiting for you from lunch. When you finally get caught up the dinner rush comes and then you just try to keep up. When you catch up again and closing time comes you get all the cooks equipment to clean which keeps you there even longer. At the old Applebee's they would have 2 people during dinner rushes and when the rush was over you would have time for a break, but it seems like they got cheap and now only use one at all times. As well a lot of the times (except for the one good manager) the managers would clock you out a early while still expecting you to finish cleaning all the cooks things, as well as the dishwasher area, therefore making you lose hours. The co-workers were great to work with. The only enjoyable part of the job was receiving the tip out money.
Pros
tip out money
Cons
no breaks, early clock out