Applebee's Employee Reviews

good
prep/line cook (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONApril 6, 2016
required
Overall rating*
The following errors occurred:
Constructive and friendly workplace.
Server (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 24, 2015
Working for Applebee's is a great experience i enjoy the environment and the location is perfect. Theres always work to be done so your always busy and never bored. Applebee's staff is very friendly and helpful. Management is amazing and very productive, if you ever needed a day off they would work around your schedule. Applebee's feels more like home then a job. The hardest part about working for Applebee's would be the unsatisfied customers and being over staffed. The most enjoyable part of working for Applebee's would be the freedom to express myself, to laugh when i need to destress, to speak and actually be heard, and to preform not just because I'm paid to do it but because I'm inspired to be the best.
Pros
Lots of great specials weekly and daily, advancement opportunities, very spacious, friendly environment, staff meals
Cons
Cons: Seasonal, over staffed, limited outdoor seating, no benefits.
Productive and fun work place with great management
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 21, 2016
Applebees's is a job that I've had that I have always been excited to go to. The people that I work with have become my friends, the management is tolerant and always eager to help when required. It is an organized place where everyone works well together.
Sometimes it can get so busy that your section will fill up in minutes, but with the experience I have I'm always able to keep up but if I were to ever find myself "in the weeds", I know there is always someone I can turn to for help.
Pros
Team Oriented
Always fun, an always fine to finish
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Mavis heart landSeptember 18, 2016
I was healthy performing the job, and it felt good to work, and I like the job. It was in my neighbour hood and the job made me think good, and it was fun excirsize. It was somethin I could love.
Pros
Excellent job title
Cons
Drugs and my pet
Fun and organized workplace
Customer Service in a fast environment (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2016
A typical day at Applebee's is serving customers, cleaning on down time and making sure customers are happy leaving.

Management is great!

Co-workers are fun and enjoyable to work with!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Short shifts
dishwasher
Dishwasher/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2016
washing dishes
I learned that its hard washing dishes and smelling the left over food
the hardest part was the stress not getting it all done before your shift was done
fun, upbeat, fast paced workplace.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCJanuary 13, 2016
Nice to work with great people in the restaurant industry always a lot of fun at work, meet some fantastic people dealing with customers but also learn self control because in this industry the customer is usually always right because you are dealing with their food and some people can be really pick and snooty when it comes to their food.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
working split shifts
A typical kitchen job, with bad management
Cook (Former Employee) –  North pointOctober 23, 2015
They tend to get rid of anyone who actually works hard so that they can bring new people in at minimum wage. The General manager specifically has problems with anyone who'll say that his ideas might be wrong. They overwork, underpay, and tend to send people home even before three hours so that they can make a premium on labor.
Pros
the staff other then management
Cons
Extremely short shifts, and management
Average Workplace
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 13, 2015
- Awesome co-workers
- Sometimes long hours
- Great Management
- Not guaranteed hours
- Love working with everyone there
Pros
great people
Cons
long hours, no guaranteed hours
Largest Casual Dining Company in the World
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, Cambridge, MississaugaJanuary 28, 2013
Typical day included team meetings and communications, reviewing SnLs, ordering, line checks, expediting during service, touching tables, dealing with guest concerns, following up on cleaning duties, making adjustments to labour, etc.
I always pay attention to equipment/plumbing/refrigeration repairs looking for ways for pre-emptive maintenance or solutions for simple repairs. I'm computer savvy and learned a lot about the use of Facebook/Twitter/Four Square in regards to restaurant marketing. I understand the power of team dynamics and how to perpetuate a positive atmosphere.
The hardest part of the job is also the most rewarding. That is, bringing a group of people together that can get along and strive to promote the business as a team, and still be able to behave professionally under stressful situations. When you have the right team, the job is very enjoyable.
Pros
free meals
Good management and staff
Server (Current Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 28, 2015
The staff all works together to make it a great workplace environment. The management is really good and respectful. The food is good and customers are friendly.
Pros
fun workplace, fast paced
Cons
lack of hours, money
Good teamwork
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 27, 2015
It was a great team to work with. What I learned was that I like working in a fast paced environment and I am great with customers. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with cutlery rolling and setting tables for 18+ guest. The most enjoyable part was just always being busy.
Pros
discounted lunches
Lots of families, Very small.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Brampton OntarioAugust 23, 2015
Very small, not a great turn over rate. Mostly families and elderly people. Most of the guests were regulars. Cheap food so making money was kind of hard.
Pros
early hours
Cons
never busy
Could be better.
Hostess and Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 1, 2015
General manager was nice and did her job the way she should. Whoever owns the chain should invest in night cleaners, quality ingredients, and the renovation of the restaurant to look more modern and classier. The employees do not get paid enough to clean the filth off the restaurant on top of their ACTUAL duties as cooks, servers, bartenders, hosts, etc. But to further touch on the quality ingredients bit, Applebee's should really consider that so they could mark up their prices with reason. The fact that their food is seriously inexpensive attracts all around awful clientele. You have to spend money to earn money. Maybe they wouldn't have to close so many locations if they considered this.
Team Work
Kitchen Manager/Cook (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 31, 2015
working together like a big happy family getting crushed on line we would put the radio on and sing and crush orders out with a smile.
Enjoyable Place to Work
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, OntarioJanuary 28, 2014
This company was a very enjoyable place to work, the employees got along very well and the company has competitive wages and positions.
Unfortunately the management at this specific location were extremely unprofessional and often caused some of the workers to quit or become extremely emotional. The turnover rate was an extremely unattractive attribute of the company.
Pros
enjoyable coworkers
Cons
unprofessional management
A great company to work for. Was rewarded well for following procedure.
Guest Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 3, 2014
My days at Applebee's were extremely busy. I would be responsible for having enough staff. Checking in with guests to ensure they were enjoying their stay. We did Apple Rallies where we would discuss the activities of the day. We would offer incentives for the staff to sell add on's. I had to coach and encourage staff of procedures. I was responsible for balancing tills and bank drops. I loved the staff and regulars.The upper management were extremely supportive.
Pros
fun lively atmosphere
Cons
too many late nights.
Fun workplace but few opportunities for career advancement
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 2, 2015
Worked for the company for 4 years before being laid off due to economic difficulties. Easy going work environment, health and safety retraining every few months. Not an idea place to work if you actually want to grow in the hospitality industry. Tips were pretty bad each week.
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 2, 2012
stress and good work hard and stress of weekend night shifts co worker is good
Pros
free but 50% off
Cons
some time not take break time
This location closed down, but I loved working there.
Hostess/server (Former Employee) –  BramptonJune 5, 2015
I would come in before opening and clean up the dining room, prepare children's menus (by packing crayons and a coloring sheet into little brown bags) then help with kitchen prep work. once the doors opened, seating guests and cleaning tables were my main duties.
Pros
Steady hours
Cons
Long Friday shifts

2.9