Appen Employee Reviews

Flexible, Tedious, No Help
Search Media Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV9 August 2017
Appen is very hands off, they send you a link and expect you to just get through everything on your own. When you can work is extremely flexible, but be prepared to be bored to tears with the job itself.
Work from home
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Remote7 August 2017
The hardest part is not getting enough hours every week. The thing I most enjoy about the job is being able to work when I want to, not on a set schedule.
Perfect Job
Social Media Evalulator/Web Search (Current Employee) –  Remote5 August 2017
Appen is one of the few legit work from home opportunities. No startup cost, steady contract work. First paycheck did take some time but you do get paid.
Pros
Work from home/ flexible hours
Cons
Free lance contract work, short term work
Respectful and Flexible
Contracted Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WA2 August 2017
Work and life easily balanced with flexible hours. Directives are clear and the job will always feel easy to do as long as you are committed to it. You'll need to be able to self-manage own time usually, but it's a learned skill that preps you for more jobs and further opportunities down the line!
Great Pay Horrible Job
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Akron, OH1 August 2017
The work is for tedious and you will get tired of doing it really quick. I lasted 18 months before I was laid off. Appen pays well or at least they did. Once they decided to lower the pay rate for the Social Media Evaluator position they let go of everyone who was making the higher rate. They told us the client didn't have any more work for us, but if you go on their website they are still hiring for the position.
Pros
Work from home - Set your own hours
Cons
Boring work
Very convenient employment
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  online1 August 2017
Appen allows you to create a very flexible schedule for those who like me that are considering school or who work other jobs. Working with this company exposes me to world wide information and stories that I otherwise wouldn't see.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Good training, pleasant management.
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Remote12 July 2017
Project guidelines were constantly being updated. No real feedback, and not always easy to receive help with issues in a timely manner. Sudden client cutbacks, with no warning. But the training and pay were good, and the managers were nice.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Only get paid once a month.
Absolute unprofessionalism
rater (Former Employee) –  Michigan11 July 2017
I understand this is a flexible easy job that almost a monkey could do. but they should still treat the job as A JOB. never was givin the number or email of my personal contractor who is supposed to help with any issues. they messed up my payroll for the first two pay periods so i had to wait. till the next pay period, Then on top of that they fire me without emailing me or contactitng me as to why. (i know i had a test to review that was all) sometimes things are in fact " a little to good to be true" I have yet to see any review say that they were able to stablely hold this job. Also beware of random test and assignments that will effect your "flexible schedule" and they said i needed to follow pacific time.. than said I shouldnt follow pacific time.. just a circus really. honestly id only recommend it if u need a somewhat easy 800 dollars for the next few months. thats about as long as anybody has been able to keep this job. probaly due to their rating tools always changing.
Pros
flexible schedule, usally easy
Cons
no communication, random test, random rule changes, lack of organization on the mangers part.
Inconsistent Hours
Web Search Evaluator (Home-based position) (Current Employee) –  Home9 July 2017
I've worked at this company for 3 months. They require 19 hours per week worked no more than 4 hours per day. They require you to account for all 19 hours by marking them as productive or no work loaded.

At first, I was getting 19 hours per week, but it has now declined to 1-2 hours of work available per week. Additionally, the pay is pitiful - $9/hr.

The work is easy and mindless and you get to work from home, but there are no benefits offered and no guaranteed hours.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Barely any work available, content can be offensive, low pay
Empresa flexível
Consultora Independente (Current Employee) –  Remoto6 July 2017
Empresa flexível, com horário livre de trabalho, bastante clara nos treinamentos.
Pros
Horário Flexível
Cons
Não há vínculo empregatício
Excellent Company
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  New Market, MD30 June 2017
I'm quite thrilled with the opportunity to work for this company. The flexibility is priceless. Management is fantastic. Communication is better than most.
Cons
Don't really have a sense that there is an opportunity for advancement or pay raise.
Empresa muito boa e dinâmica
Consultor Técnico (Former Employee) –  Poços de Caldas, MG30 June 2017
Empresa muito boa permite que você faça seu horário, muito boa relação com a gerência, e o modo que se trabalha. treinamentos constantes e sempre estão on-line para sanar duvidas, quase não temos contatos com colegas de profissão pois as reuniões são 1 vez semana ,on-line. Excelente empresa !
Pros
Horário, remuneração e comunicação.
Cons
Treinamentos apenas em lingua extrangeira.
New environement
freelance consulting contract (Former Employee) –  home29 June 2017
Since I was working at home, I use to set up my own schedule. That is the best part of the job. Working as website evaluator, I saw the job that is doing behind for the customer to be happy.
Pros
set up own schedule
Cons
pay/ number of evaluate pages
Very flexible schedule, easy work
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Remote26 June 2017
If you're looking for a place you can make your own schedule, this is it. The only requirement is maintaining a certain number of hours a day/week. Easy work as long as you read all detailed instructions. Only communication is through emails and it can be frustrating getting tech issues fixed, but they are typically pretty quick with a response. Love the freedom I have with the job! You can even work on your laptop or phone in the corner of the coffee house!
Puedes trabajar desde tu casa.
Consultor (Former Employee) –  Zapopan, Jal.24 June 2017
Bueno y malo, trabajas a tu horario, pero son muy exigentes y no pagan bien.
Pros
Puedes trabajar desde tu casa
Cons
Te cargan el trabajo, pero no te suben el sueldo.
Buena oportunidad de trabajo crowdsourcing
Investigador (Current Employee) –  Australia / EUA21 June 2017
Hay distinctos proyectos que Appen maneja a relación de aplicationes de computación y aplicationes moviles.
Work from home with flexible hours.
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV12 June 2017
One of the best jobs to be working from home. All you need are Social Media Accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
You also need to be having more than a given number of friends on Facebook and be following a given number of friends on Instagram.
It is a fun and easy job if you love the Social Media.
Pros
Pays $13.75 per hour for hourly jobs
Cons
No benefits and you are an Independent Contractor.
Appen
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Washington State12 June 2017
It~s a very good and flexible job but it was for project style. There are termination terms. I would recommend the company for translators they have lots of openings.
Pros
Flexible Time
Cons
Not a very secure job
Aztec project equals HORRIBLE
Aztec project (Former Employee) –  remote12 June 2017
This project is no good. Pay is $9 hour and there is never work available. They will not get back with you at all. DO not recommend the Aztec project to anyone!
Pros
work at home
Cons
Never any work
Great opportunity.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TX10 June 2017
I worked with Appen for a little over a year as a contractor for the Falcon Project and I loved it! The pay is great for being part time contractors. Working from home is a blessing. Only downfall is you get no benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3