Appen Employee Reviews

Easy work but you can and will get fired for no reason
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  from home4 January 2017
I worked as a social media evaluator for 2 months and then random one day got an email stating they had received sufficient project data from me and were terminating my contract. It wasnt being fired for lack of doing work or for bad quality of work, just sufficient project data. No other explanation was given. Work is easy but really repetitive. Good for some extra cash but don't rely on it because you will be fired for no reason.
Pros
work from home, work when you want, easy work
Cons
you will be fired for no reason
Fun job profile.
Web search evaluator (Current Employee) –  Lucknow City, Uttar Pradesh6 January 2017
It is a time bound job with strict adherence to given guidelines. Incase of any technical issues the management was very prompt in resolving issues.Sufficient leeway was given in case of a prolonged absence to continue after. The overall process was fun to work on and I learnt how ads are evaluated on the web in terms of relevance for the customer.
Pros
Incentive plans on achieving quality and other parameters consistently.
Cons
Deadline as per PST has to be achieved every day.
Give this one a pass. Disorganized, no communication possible.
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Australia27 December 2016
Unfortunately I had a bad experience with Appen. They requested services for Google, which required speaking lines in foreign language into a system to improve their speech recognition. I am surprised Google works together with this unprofessional bunch - I am not even sure if they are scam artists. I did everything to the letter, but my data never appeared in their system. Needless to say I did not get paid. They offer to communicate via a contact form, but you get no confirmation, no copy of your message and, of course, no reply. Nothing, Nada, Zip. The only thing I get is an e-mail in which they offer to extend the deadline, which keeps coming punctually every 5 days. Forget about Appen and look for decent clients elsewhere.
Pros
Freelance work
Cons
No payment, no communication
Contract Data Collection Specialist
Contract Photo Lab Manager /Data Collection (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CA8 November 2016
Contract Temporary Position:

Great environment
Good Pay
You meet fun and friendly co-workers
Flexible Schedule
Work-Life Balance
Pros
Flexible, Life-work Balance
Cons
Short Breaks
Social Media Evaluator
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Fl.18 July 2016
Great 2nd income; easy work that can be done on your own time. Management responds quickly to questions you may have and they also provide advice if you need help.You have a required time to finish all work each day which can be challenging at times, but other than that this job is really easy. The best part is you can work at home at your convenience.
Pros
Flexibility in work schedule
Cons
Can be let go at anytime with no warning.
Very flexible work environment, but unpredictable work availability
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Work at Home23 July 2016
I have worked as an independent contractor for Appen since 2015. The best part of the job is that I work from home and the schedule is very flexible. I can log on and work 15 minutes if I have a few extra minutes for example. There is no set time to work which is great for me. I create my own schedule. However, the work is not always predictable or available. We are supposed to work 12 hours per week, but often there are no cases to judge which means no pay for that week. In other weeks, up to 30 hours is sometimes offered. In addition to unpredictability of work, there is no positve feedback provided for this position. Assume no news means you are meeting expectations.
Pros
Very flexible, decent pay for a work at home job
Cons
No positive feedback, unpredictability of work, repetitive work
Very flexible hours and great customer support
Independent consultant under contract (Current Employee) –  Remote3 December 2016
I work 4 weekdays and one weekend day. I became more of an analytical thinker since working with Appen. The hardest part of the job is the work can become repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Repetitive Work
Do IT As A Last Resort
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Remote Location, SC3 December 2016
Been doing it three weeks somewhat ok and now the program is not working almost everyday so the tech staff must be contacted and they don't respond quickly to your problem or create it so you can work again. Totally unreliable, seemed like it was too good to be true...well it is... Do not waste your time..Find people you can talk to for bosses who will be accountable..
Very Flexible
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Virtual26 January 2017
I enjoyed working there because the Job was more in my field and I gained more experience and understanding on advertising and the core and insights of any business
Pros
Even though you set your own schedule, it was not always easy to meet the cut off time
Cons
it's very flexible and you can do it from anywhere on your laptop
Flexible decent pay work at home job but no guarantee
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WA4 July 2016
I worked for Appen evaluating social media ads for 6 months out of no where I was terminated for "service quality". Never received any negative feedback all my feed back was positive and I always received "complete" comments. Therefore it was quite disturbing to receive an email of termination, because I followed all policy and work all required days (and more), submitted work on time and corrected all errors that I was made aware of. I think the way I was terminated was very unprofessional of the company, because some form of warning or opportunity to correct errors should have been given.

The work was repetitive and boring, but for 13.75 an hour a day it was worth trying to hold on to until I finished graduate school and found employment.
Pros
Pay and Flexiabilty
Cons
Work is boring and redundant, no guarantee of employment and getting paid once a month is the worse
Nice work form home
Major Social Media Platform Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WA 980118 November 2016
Nice work from home job! Interesting and fun work! I get paid for this, great! I enjoy what I do and it's great to do it from home.
The work isn't difficult and the hours are flexible. The company so far is great to work for.
Pros
Work form home, flexable hours
Waste of time!!
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TX30 November 2016
They make you take a test and you spend all this time studying for it which is a waste of time and its unpaid. It's training and you should get paid for it! I was terminated for no reason or explantation.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING
Great for some extra money
Video reviewer (Former Employee) –  Work from home27 January 2017
Loved it! Greatly helped out with money for Christmas. Only downside was it was only a temporary position. I really enjoyed working from home and making my own hours.
Appen
Social Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA16 November 2016
Nice company to work for temporarily. You must be very structured and know you can devote your own personal time to working.
Worth it
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work at Home9 May 2016
I'm a single mom who lost my job and was frantically searching for another one. This wasn't exactly ideal seeing as how temporary it is and I never expected it to last more than 12 weeks. I'm in my fifth month of working on this project and it has been a godsend. The work is undoubtedly boring and repetitive. There was a point within the first month where I really wanted to quit. But once I got the hang of things and pushed through, I was really glad I did. Because I have to finish the majority of my work by 9 p.m. (CDT), it is a bit of a challenge to work while my child is awake. But it has been manageable. If you are desperately in need of income and follow all the guidelines, this can work very well. Also, you need to be able to set aside about 4-6 hours five days a week. You are paid for approximately 3.5 hours a day but that factors in breaks and distractions. The nice thing is that you can stop and restart throughout the day. I took off for a week-long vacation and had no problems. As I mentioned, it's incredibly boring especially at first but well worth the pay rate. The technical glitches have greatly improved since they made adjustments within the past couple of months.
Pros
Great pay rate, flexibility, consistent amount of work
Cons
Can be fired at any point, repetition
nice work place
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Remote1 November 2016
I found my first new online job at appen company
it was so fantastic for me.
the job character and the payment was so beautiful. the managers were so active and acted so freindly.
Flexable work hours
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Corona, CA10 October 2016
I enjoy the flexible work hours that fit around my schedule at home. I am able to self manage myself remotely. The hardest part about this job is the repetition of the work load.
bad employer
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WA28 August 2016
not a good employer.
very small employer so you can learn new things but because of not having too many projects sometimes day feel long without doing much productive work
I got canned for no reason
consultant (Former Employee) –  Work from home14 June 2016
I worked for this company for two months, and I was getting my work done everyday and on time. I never missed a day, and I only had to be re-qualified once. I stayed within the timeframes and with no warning they said they got enough data from me and cancelled my contract. I'd say don't count on this place, they fire you with no warning and for no reason.
Pros
Somewhat flexible
Cons
Don't count on this job, absolutely no security.
Getting paid is like getting your teeth pulled
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Home2 July 2016
I enjoyed the flexibility of the job. But it was a bit tedious. And the rules were a bit much seeing I was supposed to be an independent contractor. Anyways, receiving my first paycheck was a disaster. It was 2 weeks late b/c it was mailed...to the wrong address. Even though I had updated my address in the system. It turns out there are several Appen companies floating out here. And once I was on the mainland one, all the foreign entities started asking me to do freelance work, which was cool. But their jobs are low-paying...and I don't do PayPal, so I didnt get paid for my freelance work. So now its my second paycheck and its SUPPOSED to be direct deposit. But 4 days later...no check in account. Bank see no pending deposits. You can't get ANYONE on the phone at Appen. The checks are cut in CT, but the 203 number is disconnected. To say they make you jump through so many hoops to become certified as a Social Media Specialist (no pay during certification btw), they sure run from you when there are issues with pay. I've left phone messages. There are good to respond to email messages....but with the time difference, I don't get a response til the next business day. I like the money, but I don't think I want to do anymore jobs for Appen again. It takes too much to get paid!

2.8