Appen Employee Reviews

Excellent Part-Time Job
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA (telecommute from home in NH)February 21, 2016
Appen is a great company to work for - they're in the Forbes "Top 100 Companies Offering Flexible Jobs." The hours and pay are very competitive, and the work itself is interesting. By far, the best remote job I've ever had.
Easy at home Job
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 18, 2016
Working as a contractor for Appen is relatively stress free as you work from home for a couple hours a day. The tasks are tedious and monotonous, but for 13.75 and hour, there are worse jobs out there. I reviewed Facebook news feed posts for a couple hrs a day at most but you get paid for 4 hours. Projects don't last long though and you can get randomly terminated.
social media evaluator
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAMay 5, 2016
This is a nice job but you have to know how to follow along because you are an independent contractor. This is a job for you to make that extra cash until you get on your feet.
Pros
decent pay, easy work
Cons
3 hour wait period, all communication done through email
Loved the staff and employees, very friendly place to work.
Consultant (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 9, 2016
Like that I can make my own schedule as long as its in the daytime, like that I have the option to work weekends, and on all my audits I have received 100% and states that I excel at the tasks.
Pros
Vacation as needed, very fast response to technical issues.
Great home job
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2016
I found Appen a little while ago.

It offer to work on some project as a freelancer.

People are managing their time and get paid according to their work.

Great additional money for home staying parents or students
Fun, engaging virtual data collection and evaluation position with its pros and cons
Crowd Sourcing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Casselberry, FLOctober 2, 2015
Fun and engaging virtual contract position where you can work as many or as few hours as you choose and base your hours around your schedule. You make your schedule and determine how much work you get done in a day and in a week.
Somewhat about the numbers, but also about learning crowd sourcing and judging guidelines for web searches.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the online portal and tool and rating, classifying, evaluating and judging search engine results for their relevance to actual users' search queries - these can be from any location that has internet access.
Least enjoyable part of the job is that there was virtually no communication between contractors (myself) and the system's support specialists and upper management - it sometimes took over a month for me to get one or two questions answered. This is something that the company must work on, in my opinion, if it wants to keep its contractors.
Virtual, online, home-based contract job that can be extended or terminated at the contractor's will and based on metrics. Community Crowd where judges can interact, ask questions and share judging information.
Pros
Work from home, no minimum or maximum number of hours, pay CAN be decent if you put in the work
Cons
Pay is low, next to no communication between upper levels and contractors, monthly pay
A reputable company.
Staffing Specialist (Former Employee) –  PhilippinesSeptember 5, 2015
A generous company. Does not only focused on client's need but also on the welfare of its employees.

It encourages work life balance.
general consulting
Consultant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 14, 2016
Is a interesting company to work for. Pay is fair. I worked from home with them and never had a problem getting paid. Over-all a good place.
Good job once you learn it
Web Search Evaluator (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  from homeApril 23, 2015
Doing Web Search Evaluation with Appen is a real job (that doesn't preclude the possible of someone posing as them, but I applied through their website and got legitimate work).

I worked as a Web Search Evaluator for ten months. The pay is good but that's the only compensation- it's an independent contractor position which is 1099-Misc, thus you're paying your own taxes, no health or other benefits, etc.

The way I did it was applying for it while already working at my main job- then I waited until I got the job and did it for a week or two before making the decision if it was something I thought I could continue and then I put in my notice at my main job. It's a risky move- in that you're required to maintain a quality standard and if you drop below that you can be removed and required to retest and potentially/eventually lose your contract for consistently poor performance. Also being independent contractor position they can terminate your contract for reasons pertaining to their end, so it's the sort of job where you'd want some money saved up prior or to know that you might end up looking for a job again if terminated. HOWEVER, one consolation is that there are other companies out there with similar positions- such as Lionbridge and Leapforce, so you could always try with them if things didn't work out.

Working from home is nice. You work four hours a day whenever you want, doesn't have to be all at once- it's up to you to get four hours of work in total throughout the day. The most annoying part about this job would be getting everything set up on your computer-
  more... you use Internet Explorer and if you have add-ons that disrupt the loading of pages you have to figure out how to configure all that stuff so it runs smoothly. They provide instruction on that but it's still a learning curve and so know that patience is beneficial. Also, the learning curve of the job requires patience. You're rating web search results based on guidelines, thus what you're doing is applying an external standard and you might find it frustrating if you think a rating should've gone one way but didn't- if you're attentive and adaptable you should be able to pick up on rating things the way they're looking for and thus maintain a quality standard.

I never spoke with anyone- which I actually liked. Just follow their instructions, be able to teach yourself using their guidelines and practicing, and then do your job. The upfront paperwork and learning curve is the most difficult part just because you're investing in something without a guarantee- but if you can learn the job then once you know it it's smooth and easy and you just work your hours at your discretion.

Management for the project I was on were nice- communicating via e-mail.

The job can be a little monotonous but it's also interesting to get exposure to various web-content which is good if you have some interest in anything web-related. You do have to be aware that adult content could occur in results- this is pretty rare and in my project I was able to skip those if I chose, and it's usually obvious when the results will be adult theme.

Pay is once a month.
Pros
Flexible schedule, independence, work from home, decent pay, don't have to communicate verbally with anyone, learn something new
Cons
Not as secure as an employment job, somewhat steep learning/starting curve, somewhat monotonous
Horrible
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 8, 2014
Took the job while in between professional jobs and it was by far the worst job I have ever had.

Job itself is subjective and the constant audits are infuriating. Even when I would be at 100% correct for a day, I would feel like all I was doing was being tested and the real work didn't matter. The days seemed to last longer than four hours and when the program crashed(which it regularly did) you would have to wait around until it was back up or told that you didn't have to finish work for the day because the program wasn't coming back up. IT was useless and I often resolved the issue myself on several occasions when IT suggested I do something I informed them that I had already done in my ticket to them.

Management was a joke and I was lucky if I ever heard back from my project manager when I had question or concern.

Overall, desperation is the only reason anyone should do this job. If you really need income, it's good money for mundane, redundant work on a search engine people don't like. If you can pull in income another way, do that first and Appen last.
Pros
open schedule
Cons
everything else.
Excellent place to learn new things
Managing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San JoseAugust 26, 2014
Appen gave me the opportunity to work for myself. I was able to learn and train. I was able to learn time management. My co workers were great, my manager gave me new opportunities.
Pros
worked on my own
Cons
contract position
Great company for online workers
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Kraków, MLDecember 12, 2014
I am very pleased with my work at Appen. It allows me to set my own working hours and develop my web search and analytical skills. Project managers are helpful and friendly. The hardest part is to determine what people who use web browsers had in mind when typing their phrases, and also categorization of web search results. The most enjoyable thing is the fact that I am helping to make the internet a safer and easier to navigate place.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
rates could be sometimes higher, but it depends on the project
Sweat Shop
Search Engine Evaluator (Current Employee) –  HomeMarch 27, 2014
This job is legitimate in the fact that you can make money doing it. It's not possible to make significant money however and you would be better off getting a job at McDonald's where you get paid hourly not per task like with Appen.
Pros
work from home
Cons
little compensation, stressful, tedious
Easy schedule, work when you want to.
Crowdworker (Current Employee) –  TelecommuteJune 1, 2014
You can work whenever you want up to 22 hours a week. Most tasks don't pay much, but you need to become good at the tasks that do pay good.
Pros
schedule
Cons
no real communication or feedback