Appen Employee Reviews

Easy money.
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 December 2017
This job is perfect for those who are looking to make some extra money on the side. It is easy and you can do it any where at anytime by using your smart phone. The pay is really good and convenient.
Pros
fast money, work any where at any time, use your smart phone to do the job.
Cons
your eyes get tired, must be very descriptive, you will ended up reacting yourself about.
Excellent management
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  London10 December 2017
I worked remotely on project. My supervisor was very helpful and always gave detailed tasks. I had good salary for the project, which for student (i worked there part time as student) was really great value.
Relaxed and easygoing
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL2 December 2017
I enjoyed working for Appen Global. It's a great part time job for anyone looking to make extra money, or for anyone that is a stay at home parent as well. It's only for an hour a day, the hardest part for me was typing on a phone because my hands would hurt, but other than that it wasn't bad. There is nothing hard about the job, I would just say a little tedious at points. I did learn about some new interesting things going on in the area and some of them I participated in. I would definitely work for Appen again.
Legit Company with Good Pay
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Remote16 November 2017
The only negative thing I can say is sometimes the response time on emails is slow. I enjoy the work and the pay is decent. You do accrue PTO. The guidelines for each job are very clear.
Pros
Work at your own pace, accrued PTO.
Cons
Can only work 4 hours per day, 19 hours per week.
High volume number of tasks, low volume of income
Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MD16 November 2017
At Appen, I was asked to perform various tasks and make judgments on certain subjects. These assignments were numerous but never paid more than 30 cents at the most. There was no hourly wage but a performance wage based on completing an insane amount of tasks. Many times, I would have to complete 10 tasks correctly to earn even one dollar. They hired me as a social media evaluator but I spent most of my time being evaluated by them. If I made a judgment they disagreed with, I was kicked off the assignment. These assignments were very subjective, comparing two web searches and determining which one was better.
Pros
Cons
Too many work tasks, too less cash earned
They try to get people to work without paying
contract consultant (Former Employee) –  taiwan13 November 2017
They are trying to find more people to work for them without paying.
That is why they keep looking for new people to work for them. They will ask you to sign a lot of contract that stating you may not pay if their customer is not happy.
Pros
Cons
You can end up work for them without paing.
not professional
Web Seach evaluator (Former Employee) –  Ft. Lauderdale, FL6 November 2017
communication seemed robotic. you can tell that the emails were copy and paste.

the pay was good for what it was and you could work as little as you wanted and up to 19 hours a week which was great for parents with toddlers.

sometimes there were no tasks available so you would have to keep checking to see if there was tasks and sometimes there was only 5 minutes worth and that was it.

you also had to keep track of your hours yourself and if you went over the 19 hours you would get in trouble.

overall it was a nice temp job to make some extra money. but the process of getting into the job was horrible. the testing was unpaid and took 8 hours to do it. and there is a lot of reading to understand the task.

even though they say this is your opinion, its not. you have to meet there expectations. if yours doesn't match theirs then you get fired. which makes no sense since this is supposed to be based on a computer system to understand what a person is looking for.
Pros
flexable hours, good pay
Cons
terminate without notice
Working from home is the main benefit
At-home Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WA3 November 2017
If you are looking to telecommute and make more than retail, this is a good job for you. The work can be interesting, especially while you are learning. After a while, it can get monotonous but you are gaining good experience for similar types of telecommuting jobs.
Pros
working from home, somewhat flexible schedule
Cons
bad computer systems, glitches all of the time, hard to reach out for help in real-time
Lovely company
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Remote31 October 2017
You get to work at your own pace and choose your own hours, there's almost no stress at all. I highly recommend Appen to anyone who is looking for flexible hours with good pay.
Pros
Flexible hours and good pay
Cons
You might not be hired for long because it's almost like a temp job
Good but somewhat boring work
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Port Saint Lucie, FL30 October 2017
The work at Appen as a Web Search Evaluator is simple but you must complete several hours of repetitive tasks at a time which can make it a little tedious and boring. Still a great company though.
Pros
good pay, easy work
Cons
boring, repetitive work
Great job, when there is work and they don't terminate you for no reason.
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Work from home22 October 2017
The work at Appen is detailed, but simple; however there wasn't enough work to make a decent living. If you are looking to make an easy $100, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Simple work, work from home.
Cons
Not enough work, no job security, no communication.
Nice Stay At Home Job
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WA13 October 2017
It was a good temporary at home job, it was easy and fun to do. Time consuming and fast pace, had to be really focused and detailed-oriented. Glad I found Appen when I did.
Awful
AD EVALUATOR (Former Employee) –  Work from home5 October 2017
Almost no communication from management and response time to emails is slow, if you get a response at all.
Training does not align with monthly training sets and will confuse even the most intelligent.
Work is inconsistent and you can go days with no tasks to complete. No, you are not paid for the time you try to work.
Remember, you are expendable and unimportant.
Pros
spare-time work
Cons
communication, management, inconsistency
Very easy contract work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Butler, PA4 October 2017
Did reviews of Facebook ads for an hour each day. Very easy and relaxed job. Sometimes had issues with the rating tool that got worse as time progressed. Management would claim to introduce new tools/features that never came.
Easy Work with Flexible Hours
Independent Consultant/Contractor (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CA26 September 2017
Simple work to do when given the opportunity, but you are under a contract and you will only work until they feel your services are no longer needed. On the job, you can choose when to work at any time of the day. However despite the work being simple and easy to do, it will eventually get boring and repetitive over time, so just keep reminding yourself that you're getting paid to do what you are doing. One of the best work at home jobs I've ever done.
Pros
Work anytime of the Day, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Repetitive Work, Working under a contract means they can terminate it at anytime, Not permanent.
It was okay and fair but not consistent ...
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL15 September 2017
Work essentially was 4 hours of rating content retrieved from the social media pages of my friends pictures, memes, posts, videos etc. This was alright as it was nice to work from home however when the evaluations came in I realized I was marked wrong on one of the audits when all the criteria was met. The man,agers were contacted via email so communication was not the best, so reaching the "higher ups" was a bit of a hassle.
Pros
Great pay, some what flexible, Working from home.
Cons
Lack of transparency and effective ratings given to the work presented to them .
gives flexibility of woking hours
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Iowa14 September 2017
Good place to work.Gives work flexibilty. THe pay could have been a little better. It has good amount of work to be worked on making working as an agent little more secured.
flexibility to work from anywhere
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Remote12 September 2017
Overall it is a good company to do work for.
The work itself becomes dull and repetitive very quickly.
It is quite unfortunate not to get promoted to a better position and it is even more unfortunate not getting paid more to offset the lack of benefits.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Can not advance, no benefits, not enough hours and not enough pay to compensate for the lack of benefits
Appen is a good Temp job for some extra cash