Appen Employee Reviews

Buena oportunidad de trabajo crowdsourcing
Investigador (Current Employee) –  Australia / EUA21 June 2017
Hay distinctos proyectos que Appen maneja a relación de aplicationes de computación y aplicationes moviles.
Work from home with flexible hours.
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV12 June 2017
One of the best jobs to be working from home. All you need are Social Media Accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
You also need to be having more than a given number of friends on Facebook and be following a given number of friends on Instagram.
It is a fun and easy job if you love the Social Media.
Pros
Pays $13.75 per hour for hourly jobs
Cons
No benefits and you are an Independent Contractor.
Aztec project equals HORRIBLE
Aztec project (Former Employee) –  remote12 June 2017
This project is no good. Pay is $9 hour and there is never work available. They will not get back with you at all. DO not recommend the Aztec project to anyone!
Pros
work at home
Cons
Never any work
Great opportunity.
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TX10 June 2017
I worked with Appen for a little over a year as a contractor for the Falcon Project and I loved it! The pay is great for being part time contractors. Working from home is a blessing. Only downfall is you get no benefits.
Great for temporary work
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA7 June 2017
They offer positions easily completed from the home, but they are on a temporary basis. Position openings are not consistent. They do offer positions you may be suitable for, but you must qualify.
Pros
Flexible positions
Cons
Not consistent
Easy, mindless work
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Remote4 June 2017
The application process is annoying because you don't get paid for your 4+ hours of work. It's a long application process but once you are in, it's extremely easy but repetitive work so keep that in mind.
Perfect job if you need some easy money fast.

Don't expect too much communication and support (though I also don't think there needs to be with what you are doing). Read the instructions/guidelines and go from there. There is a question board with other independent contractors that you can use as a resource.
Pros
Flexible hours; Easy money; Work from anywhere as long as you have your personal computer with you
Cons
Mindless; Independent Contractor so no benefits; No paid holidays or vacation
DO NOT Work For This Company
Web Search Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NC17 May 2017
For about a month, I went through their application process. This includes applying, taking an unpaid assessment test (which takes about 8 hours to complete), getting a background check, and filling out an I9. After all of this, I was finally hired on. However, my start date was pushed back almost a week. Once I was able to actually start, the system didn't even work. It was either telling me that the page was forbidden, or that I didn't have any tasks to complete. I sent an email asking for help, and didn't get a response until a few days later. This means I lost all of those hours that I could be working. I was able to fix the problem and work for ONE day. After this one day, the system never worked again. I sent multiple emails asking for help, until today, when I was FIRED. I literally only worked one day for Appen and I was fired. They said it was because "I didn't meet their quality standards". They expect you to be conformists and rate ads the EXACT way they do, or they fire you. If they feel like an ad would be "Very Promising" but you feel like it would only be "Somewhat Promising", kiss your job goodbye.

Don't bother wasting your time with this company. I spent a month of my time preparing for this job, and it was all for nothing.
Pros
Cons
Worst management ever, worst customer service ever, expect you to have the same opinions as them on ads or you get fired, system never works, shortage of tasks every single day
Flexible hours; quick and easy money
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  California12 May 2017
Quick and easy money, rather flexible.
Work is repetitive so be aware of that.
Perfect job if you need some easy money fast.

Don't expect too much communication and support.
Pros
Quick and easy money; able to work from home
Cons
Training and work instructions are vague and inprecise and not clear, Work instructions should always be crystal clear and monkey proof, If you get warnings for "breaking the rules" and you dispute warnings you get no response at all, Projects seem to be sloppy and handled by unexperienced "project managers", Communication is one-sided
Lavoro perfetto
Consulente (Current Employee) –  Lavoro da casa9 May 2017
Lavoro in remoto per Appen.
Organizzazione efficiente, helpdesk sempre sul pezzo.
Easy job, working from your phone anywhere you want.
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  New York, NY4 May 2017
For one hour a day, I would rate 20 advertisements regarding how it was relevant to me, if it was entertaining, useful, offensive, or misleading. The levels would be "Not at all," "A little", or "Very." Then I would wrap it up with a summary describing the ad and why I rated it the way I did. Sometimes I would get the same ads, so it was easy to answer. It was great for what it was worth. Then I would enter the time I worked on their payroll system myself.
Pros
Flexible and Consistent with pay
Cons
Job not secured. Can be let go at anytime.
Appen Global requested a simple task and compensated fairly.
Voice to text sampler (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO1 May 2017
Appen Global emailed me with a request to record voice samples in order to increase the accuracy of voice to text. I submitted my samples to Appen Global and was fairly compensated for the work I did.
Pros
Quick task, Non problematic sample submission
Cons
It wasn't a dedicated job so I wasn't around long enough to know.
Productive and fun environment
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Home office based30 April 2017
Working for Appen has been an enjoyable experience. Not only do I get to work from home, but I get to set my own hours and enjoy the work that I do, which is rating ads and videos for various clients.
Pros
Watching video clips in the comfort of your own home
Cons
It had a flexible schedule
Social Media Consultant (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CA27 April 2017
I liked working for appen, it had a flexible schedule and it was consistent with the work that was assigned to me. However it is not a long lasting job.
Exciting, fun, freedom and technology-based place to work
I.T. Consultant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL19 April 2017
A typical day at Appen depends on the task you are assigned. You could be dealing with technology or dealing with friends/family. I have learned how basic daily actions (i.e speaking) can influence and contribute to technology. The management is outstanding with people ready, willing and able to help you with your task if needed. The workplace culture is usually work @ home, but freedom is encouraged and work can be completed almost anywhere. The hardest part of the job is the meticulous gathering of data and sitting for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are contributing to the advancement of technology.
Nothing really wrong with them.
Social Media Analyst (Former Employee) –  Work at Home17 April 2017
I might have had a better experience if I had worked with Appen longer. I was let go after a short time with no real explanation. Still, they gave me a chance when I had no work experience, and I actually would probably recommend them to someone either trying to build some work experience or who needed some extra cash. I would not recommend them to anyone seeking steady full time work however, as the work provided, at least in my experience, was minimal.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Very little work to do, meaning little pay.
Very easy, great pay, self motivating.
Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work from home17 April 2017
Receive work via email and submit teams to earn cash based on work output. Self propelled work motivation to earn, team based work performances usually with people you already know. Very easy to stay in touch to strategies.
Pros
Work from Home, Self Motivated, Pay Based on Performance, Projects
Cons
None from me.
Refreshing
WSE (Current Employee) –  La Union4 April 2017
Working with Appen is new to me. The application process was smooth and work is also smooth. I felt and still feel refreshed because I'm able to manage my own time at the comfort of my home. The job isn't stressful, too. It's nice to not have a boss constantly checking behind me, which for me does not help with my productivity. I can't give a perfect score to everything because I think there's no perfect company.
Pros
flex hours, no boss, good salary
Cons
It can take a bit of time to get assisted with tech issues
Appen
Staffing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Davao City28 March 2017
Working in Appen is a great experience. You get to work with professionals and people who are really enthusiastic about their jobs. The company takes care of the employees and work-life balance is one of the main values of the company.
Fun and productive remote job
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA17 March 2017
A really good company to work for since they give you flexibility of work hours, great pay and great management communication. Since there are projects that require testing, there are tech issues that arise and your work hours could be cut.
Pros
Communication, great management
Cons
Tech issues which won't allow you to work
Productive and I really enjoyed it.
Independent contractor (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, AL16 March 2017
This job was great. However the project ended and so did the job. I would totally do it again. It was ideal because I did it from home. I worked 4 hours a day 4 days a week and one weekend day so the time put in was good.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Project ended

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4