Appen Employee Reviews

Great for temporary employment or resume building
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Virtual24 February 2018
Thumbs up. Great opportunities for current employees but hard to become one after being an independent contractor. There's always someone available to answer any questions you have.
Great for extra money or if you are a student
Work from Home- Web Search Evaluator (Current Employee) –  virtual13 February 2018
I'm a college student who was just looking for a part time, flexible job. The job is easy enough and they offer a lot of flexibility, since you get to choose your own hours. I find it easy to travel without having to take time off and if I am having a a bad day, I just don't work! You do have a set amount of hours you have to work every week, which depends on the project you are assigned to. A lot of people complain about the lack of guidance, but honestly, I think they offer so much feedback and study material to help you improve. The pay is a little less than most work from home jobs i've had though, but it is sufficient and exactly right for me. I do not like that you are only allowed to work a certain amount of hours a day, though, because I'd rather complete my hours as I see fit.
Pros
Work from home, set your own hours, no phone work
Cons
pay rate, can only work a certain amount of hours per day
Poor managment
An online media evaluator (Former Employee) –  Online6 February 2018
They were hard to get in touch with when my check did not come on time. They allowed clients to harass me by constantly flagging my work, while my manager sent me emails praising my work. The support center would get short with me when I would ask questions about payment. I would never do this again.
Pros
easy money
Cons
not worth it
Appen was very flexible
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Work at Home3 February 2018
At Appen, you set your own schedule for most of their projects. No Management, no schedules, just work as you can. It was very flexible, and fun to do. Unfortunately my project ended, and there weren't any good ones to switch to when I left.
News feed
News Feed Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Marion, NC30 January 2018
They do not offer you more work once contract is up. You have to apply and wait again, It was fast paced not difficult to do but the hours where split which I hated you worked four hours a day you would put three hours and then have to wait four hours to do the last hour took the hole day to do instead of just four hours,
Poor Project Management; Wouldn't Recommend
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WA24 January 2018
Even the most intelligent well-read individuals will find this job cut-throat, confusing, and all-consuming. Evaluators and auditors alike are expected to keep up with daily changing guidelines. If you miss even one new clarification, you are treated as if you are uneducated and don't have the ability to read or learn. Several of the project leads and seniors have been with certain projects for so long that they have lost the ability to treat newcomers with respect. You can advance, but once you advance to a certain level, further advancement isn't an option unless certain members of the team deem it so. Although an online environment, it does become about who you know. Project managers allow their leads to make decisions that shouldn't be theirs to make. Mistakes are made often and the leads roll it back on the raters and auditors, while managers are not checking whether lead information is accurate. If promoted beyond rater, you will work more than 20 hours per week, but you are not allowed to bill for it. You can advance but you are not valued. If management overprojects, you will be demoted or fired with no explanation. The environment is not secure. You will worry from day to day whether or not you will be let go. The only secure jobs are the employee jobs in the brick and mortar portion of Appen.
Pros
Work-at-Home
Cons
Poor project management; Rude and Disrespectful Leads and Seniors
remote, work from home
Social Media Evaluator/Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Remote, CA22 January 2018
Provided a flexible schedule to fit a busy lifestyle. A work from home opportunity that is actually legitimate. I could work at an hour of the day or night.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
contract, only paid for time spent working not breaks
Work from home
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Work at Home16 January 2018
I loved this job, because I was unemployed and needed something fast! Although the paychecks were monthly, they were nice. Only 4 hours a day giving my evaluation on projects was all that was needed to earn 14$ hourly.
Pros
pay, work from home
Cons
Flexible, ablity to work from home
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Work at Home13 January 2018
I enjoy working for Appen as the position is both flexible and challenging. I am able to design my own hours and be available for my child. I enjoy evaluatin social media and learning more about the changing social media climate.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Contract Position
Productive place to work
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Davao City9 January 2018
It was a great job to work at appen for you can manage your time conveniently because you can work anytime you want. You just have to be honest and accurate with your reviews.
Flexible work schedule
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Raeford, NC9 January 2018
Appen was very quick to hire and was good with the support if I needed it from the project managers. Overall, I enjoyed working at home with a flexible schedule and the projects I worked on were fun and enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Need More projects
Great job
Social Media Evaluator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ8 January 2018
If you are a full-time college student or need a little extra money, this is a great one hour per day for you! You can work on your on time and can work up to seven days per week!
Pros
Easy!
Decent Remote Job (Not Enough Individually)
Independent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Remote30 December 2017
I worked for Appen as an Independent Consultant, which was a remote position for my area. This is not a position to use as a stand-alone job, especially if you have bills to pay, but you may be able to make some extra cash. Communication between management and workers could definitely be improved.
Pros
Remote Opportunities, Flexibility, Some Fun Work
Cons
Some Jobs May Be Dull, Lack of Communication, Pay/Wages for Contractors
Boa empresa para se trabalhar
Consultor de conteúdo de mídias sociais (Former Employee) –  EUA29 December 2017
Horário flexível, boa remuneração. Cultura de trabalho voltada para resultados
ok
Independent online consultant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX29 December 2017
It was alright while it lasted, but there were problems with the tools not working at times and hard to get a hold of management which led to more problems.
They use you to rate then terminate you for no reason
Social Media Rater (Former Employee) –  no where USA19 December 2017
I was a social media ad rater. I think the scam is that they have you rate ads. Which I am sure is paid for by a marketing company . They are counting on you purchasing items and/or keeping those items in your newsfeed for people that are your friends/family see it an purchase. They are counting on you spending the $10/hour they pay you for a mere 5 hours a week on their advertisers. Total Scam
Shady business practices
Raven project contractor (Former Employee) –  Home Based13 December 2017
They hire workers with a certain rate and pay less than promised at the end of the month. This company has illegal practices and is a total waste of time. They din’t care to respond. Stay away if upu don’t wanna be ripped off.
Pros
Cons
Shady practices, no communication
Easy money.
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NY11 December 2017
This job is perfect for those who are looking to make some extra money on the side. It is easy and you can do it any where at anytime by using your smart phone. The pay is really good and convenient.
Pros
fast money, work any where at any time, use your smart phone to do the job.
Cons
your eyes get tired, must be very descriptive, you will ended up reacting yourself about.
Excellent management
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  London10 December 2017
I worked remotely on project. My supervisor was very helpful and always gave detailed tasks. I had good salary for the project, which for student (i worked there part time as student) was really great value.
Relaxed and easygoing
Independent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL2 December 2017
I enjoyed working for Appen Global. It's a great part time job for anyone looking to make extra money, or for anyone that is a stay at home parent as well. It's only for an hour a day, the hardest part for me was typing on a phone because my hands would hurt, but other than that it wasn't bad. There is nothing hard about the job, I would just say a little tedious at points. I did learn about some new interesting things going on in the area and some of them I participated in. I would definitely work for Appen again.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Appen. Our community is ready to answer.