R&D Chemist: Paints and coatings development (Color Specialist)
*Reports to*: R&D Manager
Roles and Responsibilities
New product development for a diverse range of paints and coatings for application onto composite parts, geared towards consumer and sporting products. Technical support of the developed product range and resolving technical issues and problems related to raw materials and the manufacturing processes.
- New product development and testing in accordance with design criteria.
- Develops formulas, processes and production techniques and methods for products.
- Record and maintain data in laboratory notebook.
- Compute basic formulations.
- Develops testing methodology, documents procedures and writes lab reports under scientist’s supervision.
- Maintain high level of housekeeping.
- Provide Technical or quality assurance as necessary.
- Check and maintain chemical storage areas.
- Assist with waste disposal.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe working environment.
- Degree in chemistry.
- At least 5-year experience in a chemicals R&D environment.
- Very strong experience in color development and pigments selections including nano pigments is a must have.
- Experience in the selection / optimization of raw materials for Improving or customizing coating properties.
- Experience in polymers and composites preferred.
- Experience with in mold decoration a plus.
- An in-depth knowledge of coatings science and experience with coatings manufacturing process / raw materials Knowledge of WHMIS and other safety-related principles.
- Computer literate with knowledge of MS Office.
- Bilingual – English/French an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable working as part of a demanding team of professionals.
- Able to communicate ideas clearly, understand scientific concepts and complete tasks with minimum supervision.
- Strong sense of work ethic and self-motivation.
- Willing to learn.
- Can-do attitude.