Purpose and Scope:
This position oversees the development and supervision of the day to day activities of the assigned service delivery area and coordinates minor construction projects through effective project management and maintenance scheduling techniques.
The incumbent ensures the smooth functioning and code compliance of designated facilities, including Hospital equipment and systems, by managing and directly supervising the activities of designated maintenance personnel and external contractors.
Additionally, the incumbent liaises with colleagues in the industry to share information and establish/review benchmarks to review productivity, provides professional expertise to other health care organizations, and negotiates with contractors, regulatory bodies, manufacturers and/or suppliers.
Duties and Activities:
- Ensures the effective maintenance and operation of buildings, building systems, grounds, equipment and hardware by utilizing efficient planning and scheduling and ensuring work is completed according to applicable regulations and standards.
- Leads, supervises, and performance manages designated staff and is accountable for the area’s operational planning as well as resource allocation and utilization; investigates work and staff issues and where necessary initiates disciplinary action up to and including termination.
- Participates in the management of grievances and labour relations matters by performing duties such as responding to 1st and 2nd step grievances, consulting with Human Resources personnel and/or the Manager as required, providing information and attending union/management meetings and arbitrations.
- Recruits staff through methods such as interviewing internal and external applicants, making hiring decisions, completing required documentation and forwarding to Human Resources for processing.
- Participates in the development of the designated facilities operating budget, makes recommendations as appropriate and maintains responsibility for assigned budgets; provides input into the development of short and long-term plans for the facilities infrastructure, acquisition of capital equipment and supplies, and for the expansion of services.
- Maintains the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) including preventative maintenance schedules and plans; reviews and adjusts schedules as necessary according to building system maintenance requirements, budget constraints, and available resources; ensures each scheduled review is consistent with good engineering and safety practices.
- Monitors the daily work activity of personnel within the assigned area to ensure safety procedures set by the department and regulatory agencies, such as WorkSafe BC, are fully complied with and that work is progressing according to plan.
- Coordinates major and minor projects by reviewing working plans, drawings, and specifications, preparing preliminary cost estimates, determining resources required such as equipment and supplies, liaising with appropriate trades, user departments and contractors on the coordination and scheduling of construction work and reviewing project work to ensure completion in accordance to plan and adherence to applicable codes and organizational regulations.
- Prepares reports for the Manager or Director indicating progress of construction projects and documenting problems such as non-compliance with contract documents, delays in construction and proposed resolutions to ensure projects are completed according to plan.
- Prepares detailed and single line mechanical, architectural and structural sketches/drawings, and tenders for renovation/repair projects as required; provides input into the recommendation of contract awards.
- Participates in a wide variety of committee meetings by attending departmental, health and safety, construction/project planning and union/management meetings as a representative of the department as applicable.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and technological advancements in the field, including up to date knowledge of applicable bylaws, codes regulations and standards.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, customer relations, communication and facilitation skills to develop and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Comprehensive knowledge of working relationship and trades needs in a maintenance department within a healthcare setting.
- Possesses business judgment and analytical skills to anticipate financial and business requirements and ensure effective use of resources.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate issues and develop options for resolutions.
- Makes recommendations for decisions to next level management utilizing existing policies/guidelines.
- Makes decisions, in collaboration with the Manager, as it related to day-to-day FM Services issues.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to lead and inspire staff, and build a team environment that fosters trust and respect.
- Ability to manage maintenance and construction projects within a large complex health care environment.
- Lead with vision; inspire and engage; promote innovative thinking.
- Demonstrates an ongoing, continuous learning focus.
- In collaboration with next level of management, defines skill and competency gap and creates/implements personal/career development plans.
- Walking, stooping, climbing and standing.
- Subject to noise and heat from the equipment
- 3 – 5 years recent, related experience
- Minimum 2 years direct supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Advanced level computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office – Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook). and maintenance management systems.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to excel in a team environment.
- Ability to analyze, organize, prioritize, and delegate tasks accordingly.
- Act with integrity and trust; building a team environment; communicate clearly; foster potential.
- Ability to conceptualize; demonstrate accountability, decision making and judgement.
- Manage resources while supporting a healthy and respectful work environment, and political awareness.
- Possesses the following personal qualities: integrity, results focused, high standards, commitment, ethical values, and achievement oriented.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of building systems, operations and maintenance practices in a health care environment.
- Ability to supervise staff, consultants and contractors.
- Visual Acuity for inspection and repair of equipment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act Building Codes and applicable Standards/Regulations.
- Must be able to work within the limits and standards set by the Fire, Building and other codes and regulations pertaining to maintenance functions.
Interested applicants should forward a resume referencing Job Posting # 3034 by April 11, 2014.
Indeed - 5 months ago
With over 40 years experience throughout North America, Angus Consulting Management Limited (ACML) is one of Canada’s most established...