Purpose and Scope:
This position holds the overall management responsible for the delivery of plant services, security services, grounds keeping and utilities services to the Fort St. John Hospital and Residential Care facility. Services will be provided to meet our contractual requirements and in a manner consistent with industry best practices ensuring a safe and reliable environment for the delivery of healthcare-related services. This position draws upon knowledge of facility management, building operations, budget management, people management, contract management, and public relations established through industry experience and technical knowledge. The incumbent will draw on the comprehensive knowledge of ACML’s business, performance standards, operating policies/procedures, and applicable municipal, provincial and federal legislative requirements.
Duties and Activities:
- Oversees day-to-day Hard FM Services in accordance with Project Agreement including facility operations and maintenance, as well as grounds keeping, Help Desk and Security Services.
- Meets with client to discuss facility enhancements, capital expenditures, asset plans, etc.
- Anticipates short and long-term client needs and develops options for consideration.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the management of a complex facility with diverse client interests.
- Applies processes, procedures and protocols to diverse client situations.
- Develops monthly reports and comprehensive business plans for facility considering performance objectives to meet requirements of Project Agreement.
- Monitors/analyzes and reports on facility results relative to deliverables as outlined in Project Agreement.
- Develops/implements maintenance and operations goals/objectives consistent with Project Agreement requirements, good industry practices and applicable municipal, provincial and federal legislative requirements.
- Develops appropriate systems/processes to ensure effective/efficient facility operations.
- Develops/implements minor works and capital budgets within project performance standards; monitors expenditures, variance analysis and reporting; takes corrective action as required.
- Manages recruitment, mentoring, coaching and professional development of staff; supervises staff; provides work direction/assignment of duties to meet operational requirements; establishes performance plan/individual goals with staff and reviews performance; identifies training/educational requirements as needed.
- Investigates work issues and/or staff performance issues and initiates appropriate disciplinary action.
- Oversees development/continuous improvement of maintenance programs; applies planning/scheduling techniques and risk-mitigation strategies to ensure effective delivery of preventive, predictive and responsive maintenance; ensures appropriate use of computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Procures/manages work of external service providers directly or through subordinate supervisor; negotiates/monitors contractual agreements for specialized maintenance, purchased services, grounds and renovation work as required.
- Manages assigned construction, renovation and/or maintenance projects; liaises with stakeholders and coordinates activities of staff, consultants, and contractors to ensure project requirements are met and facility impacts are minimized.
- Oversees development/improvement of policies, procedures, and programs in accordance with applicable codes, regulations and standards; ensures compliance by employees and external service providers; collaborates with, and provides technical and logistical support to client.
- Develops/prioritizes capital infrastructure renewal plans in consultation with corporate ACML and client; participates as a member of client's organization as a subject matter expert within area of expertise.
- Participates in development/activation of business continuity plans in cooperation with client and hospital administration.
- Ensures facilities are maintained consistent with best practices re: energy conservation, carbon footprint reduction, LEED certification and other relevant environmental standards.
- Provides support in specific areas such as infrastructure, technical standards, systems commissioning, contract management and safety or integrity management.
- Meets with client to promote services offered and to provide advice on enhancements, etc.
- Oversees surveillance and alarm systems.
- Takes reasonable steps to ensure safety of staff, patients, residents, and visitors
- Represent ACML in the community through political or association assignments.
- Develops/maintains key internal/external stakeholder relations and participates in committees as required.
- Establishes relationships to ascertain long-term client needs/goals and to provide solutions to complex issues.
- Actively participates in industry associations; develops relationships within industry to monitor trends/activities and to network.
- Manages tendering process and negotiates costs/fees with suppliers/contractors.
- Expands network of external service providers to better meet client needs.
- Guided by general management objectives, develops solutions and applies proactive/innovative thinking to complex issues.
- Uses a variety of problem solving, judgment and reasoning techniques to assess industry best practices/new technology; assesses and selects suppliers; and acquires equipment/supplies.
- Analyzes/reviews with client, the ROI re: major capital expenditures.
- Facilitates resolution of issues with employees.
- Reviews/interprets complex financial information and recommends solutions.
- Provides guidance to team members.
- Makes decisions utilizing policies/guidelines with some flexibility to depart from standards if minimal risk to client/company. Makes complex decisions based on interpretation of policies and previous management precedent.
- Recommends changes to policies/business strategies to enhance service.
- Independently makes more complicated facility decisions including financial (within approved budget), relational and operational decisions.
- Demonstrates an ongoing, continuous learning focus.
- Gains competency and technical knowledge through research, training and industry contacts.
- Seeks out opportunities for personal growth/development re: future business needs.
- In collaboration with next level of management, defines skill and competency gap and creates/ implements personal/career development plans.
- Provides development/leadership support to team members.
- Provides leadership to external service providers working on-site.
- Understands Project Agreement, as well as corporate goals and their impact on facility activity.
- Adjusted client priorities often results in work being performed under tight timelines.
- Walking required to respond to client needs/assess general facility appearance.
- Exposure to some intense situations re: interaction with client.
- University/college graduate in Mechanical or Electrical engineering;
- 7-10 years related and progressive facilities management experience in a health care environment; or
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Knowledge/understanding of Occupational Health & Safety Act; building codes and applicable standards/regulations.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- LEED certification an asset.
- Intermediate level computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Project).
- Ability to work within limits/standards set by fire, building and other codes/regulations pertaining to maintenance functions.
- Proven ability to analyze, organize, prioritize and delegate.
- People: act with integrity/trust; build a team; communicate clearly; foster potential
- Change: strive for personal mastery; lead with vision; inspire and engage; promote innovation
- Partner: customer focus; engage stakeholders
- Results Oriented: conceptualize, demonstrate accountability
- Business Acumen: manage resources; possess health environment and political awareness
- Demonstrated working knowledge of building systems, operations and maintenance practices in a health care environment.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of appropriate legislation, relevant laws and by-laws, and provincial/national standards.
- Proven initiative, judgment, decision-making and problem-solving capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to take action in a crisis management environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and coach team members.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain rapport with staff and other stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to supervise and provide direction to staff, consultants and contractors.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to operate related equipment including related software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Interested applicants should forward their resume referencing Job Posting #4041 as soon as possible, but no later than December 12, 2013.
With over 40 years experience throughout North America, Angus Consulting Management Limited (ACML) is one of Canada’s most established...