Anglo American Employee Reviews

It was a tough job but it paid well
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC15 March 2016
Working for Anglo American at the Trend Mine was tough work. I worked in the maintenance shop assisting mechanics, operating equipment and steaming parts. The hours were long (12 hr shifts and a 7 days on and 7 days off cycle). The weather conditions were horrible. Ultimately it was worth it for the pay and experience though.
Pros
Good experience and well compensated.
Cons
Long hours and exhausting work.
Fast Paced Environment
Rock Truck Driver and Mine Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC6 October 2015
Stable working environment, friendly co-workers and knowledgeable Pit Shifters. Worked 7 Days on and had 7 Days off. Shifts were 12 hours with added time for driving to and from the mine site. Would go back in a heart beat if opportunity arose
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Laid Off
fun place to work
Shovel Operator PC 4000/3000 (Former Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC1 April 2015
easiest place ive ever worked for a phenomenal amount of money. loved going to work there bus ride to work and home only work half the year and clear 100k people were great to work with some shifters were dicks but youll find that everywhere. there were good ones too.
great view alittle scary at times. loved it tho
Pros
7 days off
Cons
rocks falling from high walls and coal prices
interesting and challenging
Trainer (Heavy Equipment) (Current Employee) –  Tumbler ridge30 March 2015
my job when first hired was to operate grader and dozer and production loader and eventually moved to the training department where I instructed whmis musculoskeletal and company orientations and trained and evaluated new operators for dozer , grader and loader and also skid steer ,forklift ,aerial platform and fall arrest.I also occasionally helped out by operating equipment.
Pros
i loved the challenge of the training department
Cons
lack of cooperation between pit formans and training department
Mixed Bag
Site IM Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC12 October 2014
I've done quite well at Anglo American Coal, but not everyone has had the same experience. Right now, Met Coal prices have been low for some years and keep falling, so we are going into Care and Maintenance. So no jobs will be available from our mine in some years.

The Safety culture of Anglo American is good, but it has never translated into good results on the ground here in Canada. Management seems to be stuck in a branch-plant mindset, where 'experts' are brought out every year from Australia, make a bunch of changes and then go back. There is very little continuity, and too much turn-over in the work-force at all levels.

Some improvements have been made in productivity and efficiency at the mine, but not enough to keep pace with the falling prices. So, goodbye Anglo.
Good learning experience.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tumbler Ridge, BC6 October 2014
We would have a quick safety meeting after which a line up will be handed out and we would move to our various work areas whether it be in the shop or running repairs. There was not much interaction between management and workers other than new safety introductions,changes to the pit and or new rules that applied to the site. Co -workers were friendly and helpful especially in the winter.The hardest part of the job was the integration in to a new work culture within a new country. Best part of the job was the satisfaction of completing a big job like rebuilding a machine and having it return to work just the way i wanted.
Pros
Enough over time with a two on two off rotation
Cons
Lack of tooling.