Anglo American Employee Reviews

Big company
Contract Optimization Specialist - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Santiago de Chile, Región Metropolitana30 August 2016
Is a big company and works slowly, is difficult define a career and now with the commodity prices in crisis is very competitive the job's environments.
They have a very good benefit a very good salaries.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
job's environments.
Great company with great benefits.
Personal Assistant to Head of Global Shared (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, South Africa9 September 2016
Great company with great benefits. Management appreciate the views of all employees. Communication between management and staff are very good. Offer employees the opportunity to grow by offering internal and external training.
Pros
Free lunch, 13th cheque
Cons
Healthcare not up to standard, comparing to other companies.
Fast pace on demand
EMEA End User Computing Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, Gauteng20 June 2016
The position I occupied at Anglo American, needed attention from a service delivery perspective.I had to ensure deliverables/SLA's are met by the various vendors that provided support to the IT infrastructure. I have learned that communication is key to customer satisfaction and that keeping specialized/critical systems up to date is your best defense against downtime. The culture was not harmonious in the sense that there was alot of conflict between teams. The business is still very much dominated by old unqualified individuals who dominate the workforce. This brought great difficulty for the younger generation to apply up to date knowledge to the IT environment. On the plus side I have had the opportunity of interacting with different cultures from around the world.
Anglo American is a great company to work for if you are a results driven individual.
Benefits
Cons
Little room for growth
Productive and fun work place
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Limpopo10 December 2016
I'm a hard working person with team spirit .communication is my management skill.I enjoy working with different kind of people. And I handle conflict well
Pros
Lunch time
People orientated
Mine Overseer (Current Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga27 December 2016
Good overall with people. Career path development chosen for you on PIT programme which is not ideal.

Friendly working environment with a good age spectrum and opportunities for post graduates who want to stay in one commodity.

Risk of becoming pigeon holed if not willing to relocate and change commodity.

The career path you choose must be driven hard by the employee.
Pros
Good leave availability
Cons
Moved away from your career aspirations
Great job as it fulfilled my area of expertise
HCM Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng7 October 2016
Worked with a great team both in South Africa and the support technical team in India. I had the opportunity to implement areas of Time Management to meet the Human Resource Policies for mining employees. Completed and team led all the testing prior to implementation. The implementation deadlines were in some instances difficult to meet based on the technical team based in India and a language challenges sometimes occurred. These were overcome and a very good relationship was formed. It was a temporary position only based on the AAC restructure of Kumba.
Pros
Good location
Cons
SA to India time delays
It was great to work for Anglo.
Section Electrician (Former Employee) –  Free State14 October 2016
Unfortunately i worked for Anglo American during the difficult times of colour discrimination, though i enjoyed excellent treatment by my supervisor, i would have loved to have had more chances working myself up the ladder in the work place, but such opportunites always fell short of me, there were always industrial upheavals with the Unions and many strikes and many political issues which together with poor world markets eventually ran the company down. But i really had few opportunities to develop there.
Pros
i liked braai safety meetings management gave away.
Cons
Productuctive and motivating as well as rewarded
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West5 May 2016
A typical day at work entailed you going in, sitting at your desk and doing the job you were employed to do. I learned ALOT of patience and tricks on Excel and Word. Mistakes are human but sorry does not excuse you all the time. Management was THE BEST TEAM EVER to have worked for. They did not dictate how you should complete a job unless you were under time limits. My co-workers were the same, they were there to do a job, just like I was, it was not about office politics or cliques. Loyalty and dedication. The hardest part of the job was being given a deadline and then that deadline was moved forward, and delivering with 100% confidence. The most enjoyable part of the day was EVERYDAY!
Pros
Getting off early.
Cons
Working night-shifts.
Mine Overseer (Current Employee) –  Union Mine Swartklip Limpopo18 December 2016
Start at 5h30 in morning with meeting with supervisors for the days jobs and breakdowns .Attend Meeting with Manager at 7h00 for feedback and at 8h30 Underground.
The hardest part of job is when people do not do the job as planned.
The enjoyable part of job it not every is the same different challenges daily
Pros
good incentive
My Experience
IM SUPPORT OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Unki Mine Zimbabwe24 November 2016
Work Starts early (7am for us), target are presented as clearly as possible. team effort to attain targets and teams are rewarded for not only achieving a target but also how much a target has been achieved.
Pros
Great renunaration
Cons
very long hours (10hrs monday through Friday)
productive
operator (Current Employee) –  Rustenburg, North West20 January 2017
The company need a general meeting to meet with employees to hear their point of view on how to lift this business to a greater high.
as you know very well that without the employees the company is incomplete.
Pros
no free launches
Learning and development
Training Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga26 September 2016
a typical day is when you run out of staff,where you need to feel all the gaps,what you will know is that you need to take it slow inspired of too much pressures from the management.The most enjoyable part is when you Flo on what you are doing knowing all the people you are working with.
Fun good working place
Cadetship (RDO) (Former Employee) –  Pretoria, Gauteng21 November 2016
Good communication skill from the management, loyal co-workers. the hardest part was that there was no enough time for family. Never the last i enjoyed my days at Volpes
Pros
Big discounts for staff
Cons
one day off per week
Pressure
belt operator (Former Employee) –  mining13 January 2017
we were supposed to work with target every day at standard bank and at the same time at the end of the day you have to be balanced your money should to accurate with the system.
productive
semi electrician (Former Employee) –  Witbank, Mpumalanga26 November 2016
I ve leant to work as team and i was self motiveted.i ve gained positive confident as i work with different people.i gained and improved my communication skills.
Fulfilling job and functions
HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Limpopo9 October 2016
Responsible for directing and coordinating activities of Human Resources Management activities and all the applicable employee relations practices within the company operation.
Pros
Flexible working environment
Cons
Odd hours dictated by the job demand
Productive and save working place
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lydenburg, Mpumalanga28 September 2016
I learned sampling and evaluation course. The management was strict about production
All people liked one another. The hardest time is when I done double job due to shortage of
staff.
Pros
lunch is available
Cons
8 and 13 hour shifts
Productive place
Intern Accountant (Former Employee) –  Polokwane, Limpopo18 October 2016
a typical day would be to get there and check what different managers wanted to purchase , then orders would be place to the respective companies , i learned how to work with the system they use to record information about salaries , the budget of the company and the actual numbers and with those figures predict how much money will be needed for the next year, i had about four co-workers and they were all mentoring me in their respective fields, which are purchasing, logistics, paychecks and recording of day to day expenses
Pros
free lunch and transport
fun work place with social programmes
artisan diesel mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rustenburg South Africa20 September 2016
Hard working and a team player plus willing to work extra hours in order to enhance production and adhere to sefety procedures before commencement of any work.
Cons
A good introduction to the mining environment
Senior Geologist (Former Employee) –  Aggeneys South Africa13 December 2016
A great balance of theoretical and practical application of skills learned at university. Mentorship and solid graduate development programs in place as well as hands on experience of all the aspects of the technical services and mining services provided by the company.
Pros
Safety principles a priority
Cons
Shift work

4.2