Anglo American Employee Reviews

Fast pace on demand
EMEA End User Computing Manager (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengJune 20, 2016
The position I occupied at Anglo American, needed attention from a service delivery perspective.I had to ensure deliverables/SLA's are met by the various vendors that provided support to the IT infrastructure. I have learned that communication is key to customer satisfaction and that keeping specialized/critical systems up to date is your best defense against downtime. The culture was not harmonious in the sense that there was alot of conflict between teams. The business is still very much dominated by old unqualified individuals who dominate the workforce. This brought great difficulty for the younger generation to apply up to date knowledge to the IT environment. On the plus side I have had the opportunity of interacting with different cultures from around the world.
Anglo American is a great company to work for if you are a results driven individual.
Benefits
Cons
Little room for growth
Productuctive and motivating as well as rewarded
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Rustenburg, North WestMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work entailed you going in, sitting at your desk and doing the job you were employed to do. I learned ALOT of patience and tricks on Excel and Word. Mistakes are human but sorry does not excuse you all the time. Management was THE BEST TEAM EVER to have worked for. They did not dictate how you should complete a job unless you were under time limits. My co-workers were the same, they were there to do a job, just like I was, it was not about office politics or cliques. Loyalty and dedication. The hardest part of the job was being given a deadline and then that deadline was moved forward, and delivering with 100% confidence. The most enjoyable part of the day was EVERYDAY!
Pros
Getting off early.
Cons
Working night-shifts.
Fun
Senior Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengMarch 30, 2016
Anglo American had very fun workers I worked with. Very detailed oriented and technical.

One had to work at his own pace and manage projects at his own from concept to implementation.

You get exposed to international projects and travelling.
Pros
Free lunch indeed
Cons
Long hours on your own schedule.
Responsible and productive workplace
Safety and Risk Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GautengFebruary 7, 2016
The job is a highly rewarding experience in that you can sense the diffirence your interventions are making in the workplace, you are faced with numerous challenges on a daily basis, some technical, some legal and always lots of people issues.
I have learned what it takes to be a responsible corporate citizen in the 21st centuary
Pros
Inetrnational exposure to best practice
Cons
Company does not offer further carreer advancement opportunities
Great company with great benefits.
Personal Assistant to Head of Global Shared (Former Employee) –  Johannesburg, South AfricaSeptember 9, 2016
Great company with great benefits. Management appreciate the views of all employees. Communication between management and staff are very good. Offer employees the opportunity to grow by offering internal and external training.
Pros
Free lunch, 13th cheque
Cons
Healthcare not up to standard, comparing to other companies.
productive and a lot more to learn on daily basics
Loco Driver (Current Employee) –  RustenburgAugust 31, 2016
I have been working for this company for years but no development. I have tried so many times but no hopes for me.Just wanna change for new job new company maybe things will change for me for a better future.
Pros
future life and mageu provided to workers every day before going underground
Cons
Eight hours per shift
good to be woking at this place
shift supervisor (Current Employee) –  Thabazimbi, LPDecember 6, 2015
So many challenges we face on daily basis specially because of the UNIONS tha is influencing employees negatively.

Dispite the challages I managed to bring my teams together and starting to achieve incredible results.

The hard part of this job is the preasure i get from both the managment and the crews. When the management brings changes in standard and Code Of Practice the crews are always resistant to implemment.

The most enjoyeble part of this job is when I get recognition and receiving presents as a best performer
Cons
No time to knock off, this is the most borring
Productive and nice to work for
Master Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kathu, Northern CapeFebruary 12, 2016
It was nice to work for Anglo American, but they are retrenching us. It was a honor to work for Anglo American. We are normally very busy during the the. I have learned a lot every day. Me and management had a very productive relationship and with my co-workers.
Anglo american President Steyn mine/Burnstone gold mine/Shanta gold mine (Tanzania)
Metallurgical Foreman (Former Employee) –  South AfricaJuly 3, 2016
While i was working at anglo i got all the education i needed to make my career to the level where i am today.I have sucsesfully commisioned 2 different gold plants over the last six and a half years giving me a lot of experienece on commisioning.
Big company
Contract Optimization Specialist - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Santiago de Chile, Región MetropolitanaAugust 30, 2016
Is a big company and works slowly, is difficult define a career and now with the commodity prices in crisis is very competitive the job's environments.
They have a very good benefit a very good salaries.
Pros
Very good benefits
Cons
job's environments.
Great company,good exposure.
RISK SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  LimpopoMay 25, 2016
Anglo american is n great company to work for,where opportunities are a reality. I learned much and would recommend the company to any one who wants toe gain vast experience within his/her field. the management team was helpful and due diligent.
Pros
good remuneration
productive and fun place
Human Resource Development Trainer (Current Employee) –  Rustenburg, LimpopoJuly 24, 2016
Have experience, Hard work. Enjoying working with people and the computer. Quickly adapt with changes. Work extra hour to be above the required target. job
Cons
Long Hours
productive
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPJanuary 11, 2016
working at Anglo has been both a challenge and a blessing.I have learned a lot from both my colleagues and supervisor

one need to be fully focused on the job or else clients might end up being overpaid or even underpaid
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours during cost closings
we still as a whole have a lot to perfect on and one of those point of interest is the workers in ability to conker all the challenges they face
mining and development sector underground (Current Employee) –  Witbank, MPFebruary 2, 2016
it would be to start off with our D.S.B where min targets , safety tips and so on are high lighted and we discuss the job tasks at hand . WE THEN GET TO KNOW AND FAMILIARIZE what is required of us as a team and then get ready for going underground an perform those tasks to the fullest extent of our experience and ensure the safety of ourselves and that of our colleagues
Pros
we work well as a team
Cons
the language barrier can be a problem sometimes
underground nd maintaince
AUTO-ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  LimpopoMarch 12, 2016
first thing in da morning everybody get her job nd check breakdowns ..learn alot on drill rigs nd Lhd's.our manadement was free to every one on company nd we heard team work by our workshop.The hardest part is wen the machine hav serious breakdown during da end of da shift and enjoyable part wen we do maintaince on machine
Pros
30min lunch
Cons
normal eight hours or overtime
Stressfull, but well paying workplace
Colliery VOHE Officer (Current Employee) –  Witbank, MPMarch 12, 2015
Proud to be working for Anglo American. Good all-round company to work for.
I grew a lot as person.
Management not always up to par.
Co workers is fun to be with - family attitude
The hardest part for me was the hours, having to work on holidays, standby's and the fact that I worked underground.
I stayed for the money, benefits and courses to improve myself
Pros
benefits, salary, room to grow
Cons
long hours, standby, working on holidays
Good company to work for, good benefits and culture, very safety conscious.
Business Unit Category Manager (Current Employee) –  Witbank, MpumalangaFebruary 25, 2016
I have worked for Anglo for 27 years and they looked after me; everything I own is due to them. They have however now decided to sell the Coal assets which is a shock and I believe it is time to look for something outside of the mining environment.
Pros
Allowance and bonuses
Cons
Red tape
Productive and Tough working environment
Mine Planning Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kathu, Northern CapeApril 13, 2016
There are opportunities to grow.

Management is friendly and welcoming.

Peers and subordinates are helpful at all times.

Long working hours
Pros
Cellphone benefits
Cons
Long working hours
Excellent company that gives back to our youth
Project administrator (Former Employee) –  Thembelani mine RustenburgApril 4, 2016
I enjoyed my time working with Anglo American. Their work ethics are outstanding, their staff are highly effective and their red tape procedures work.
we have a soccer team and we play against other departments eg Engineering vs HR department its fun for any person of any age group
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Witbank, MpumalangaFebruary 22, 2016
this company is a wonderful and enjoyable place to be,it is any man's dream.Im working 3 shift rotation maintaining mining machinery.we have maintenance schedules that help us to maintain a different machine every day

4.2