Anglo American

Anglo American Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
mine busy to be sold
mine overseer (Current Employee), Swartklip, LPJuly 27, 2015
Pros: housing, underground allowences
Cons: Stabilty of the mine
My problem is that the mine is going to be sold, and I do not see a future on this mine any more. I worked very well for this company. They tought me alot and I was promoted by the company and the managment team on Union mine.
excellent company to work for but positions in management for women and other ethnic groups were difficult at the time
Internal sales co-ordinatior (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPJune 19, 2015
What a great company to work for. We had a fantastic sales team this was due to the many team building exercises we went on. salary was excellent, also performance bonuses plus quarterly sales incentives. lots of entertainment, braais, champayne breakfasts golf days, exhibitions were the staff were totally involved in...
Aggressive work ethic
Company Secretary (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPMay 14, 2015
Pros: Free lunch, subsidised gym and a good medical aid
Cons: No balance as how they work their staff
Extremely busy days calling for overtime
I learned how to handle stress
I had good and bad managers due to various restructures over the years
Receptionist (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPMay 14, 2015
Pros: - Lunch and Gym
Cons: N/A
- A typical day at work is coming in and fulfiling my duties
- Ive learnt to deal with different clients and Nationalities
- The manangement Is Proffesional
- My co-workers are proffesional and efficient
- Your first day on the job is the hardest especially when you have to deal with a difficult client
- Having a client thanking you for your good service and meaning it
Good experience
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), PostmasburgMay 12, 2015
Dynamic environment
Challanging,
futuristic,
unionized,
shortage of skilled employees,
huge demand for work in the community,
Employee expectations too high
extremely monotonous
HR (Current Employee), Kathu, NCMay 11, 2015
Pros: not long hours.
Cons: monotonous work and no lunches.
Unfortunately, a typical day at work will be almost exactly the same as the previous one, but at least you are working with people which can make it somewhat surprising occasionally.
Our manager creates a very uninviting atmosphere at work, which can get to us sometimes. The manager doubts each person for him/her which can create confusion and frustration.
I did learn a lot from my co-workers and I also learned that each day must be like your first day at work when you are working with people/ clients. you must be joyful and enthusiastic when working with them, because each day is a first for them (working with you).....
Average
Storeman (Former Employee), Rustenburg, NWMay 8, 2015
Pros: no
Cons: yes
- People had this tendency of looking for me when they need help so they put me under so much pressure
- To work with customers/ clientele that's what is important.
- Every work needs a head, with them everything would have been difficult. We were working together.
- We worked together as a team.
- When something is needed for BREAKDOWN an it happens that we dont have that specific item and i had to do something about that.
- When i hear everybody in the plant saying they like how i take mi job serious. Its over whelming to hear that.
Performance driving and good experience
Safety Specialist (Current Employee), Kathu, NCApril 23, 2015
Pros: management promotions.
Cons: Longer hours you work the more they expect.
Meetings and more meetings, where alot of people sit and are scared to make dicisions, management is highly driven but lag behind the rest. the hardest part of my job is to change mind sets.
the most employable part of the company is the potential to advance.
Productive work environment
Junior Engineer( Vacation Work) (Former Employee), Rustenburg, NWApril 20, 2015
The overall management of the plant is not what it should be, but the general work culture is positive.The typical day is quite long but a lot can be learned when doing vacation work there.
Productivety and correct processing very important
Employee Data Management (Current Employee), North West (RustenburgApril 17, 2015
Pros: Coffee brakes at own time
Cons: Working overtime without being compensated for it
Productive and a place working and learning something new everyday. Learning a lot of processing on two computer screens and learning a lot about payroll, people. Management always treats us good and with respect. My co-workers becomes my family. The hardest part of my work was getting into the habbit of not being in finance but payroll working with people's salaries. I enjoyed working with the people around and learning new challenging work.
Trainee Technician (Former Employee), NWApril 14, 2015
Pros: More experience gained on Mechanical engineering fieild
Cons: Contract we signed was too short so we did not get enough exposure as we had hoped for
It is great working for Anglo American, I got a chance to understand their processes and got to see gas cooling towers, pumps, motors, transformers and so on. I would have loved to have stayed longer as there is so much to learn. But I am grateful for the opportunity I got.
Very busy and productive work enviroment
Personal Assistant (Current Employee), Sishen, NCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: get to meet a wide variety of business entities and a day is so full time goes by quite fast
Cons: areas in this mine is wide spread so it takes long to get from one meeting to another
My daily routine is beginning with organising of the day with my manager by reviewing their diary for the day

Book last minute urgent meetings

Document control

Placing orders

Driving clients around
self development
Senior Administrator Materials Supply (Current Employee), Thabazimbi, LPMarch 14, 2015
Pros: after work
Cons: overtimes
I always try to learn something new,When my supervisor is doing something new I sit with him and learn,it become very interesting because gaining knowledge is very important for person's life.I also learning from my mistakes,when I have done mistakes I make sure that there are no repeat.The most hardest job is when I do job and taking time to meet deadline but what I do I ask my team to work or to assist so that I can meet target in time,because timing is very important.I also enjoy work when we work as a team.
Stressfull, but well paying workplace
Colliery VOHE Officer (Current Employee), Witbank, MPMarch 12, 2015
Pros: benefits, salary, room to grow
Cons: long hours, standby, working on holidays
Proud to be working for Anglo American. Good all-round company to work for.
I grew a lot as person.
Management not always up to par.
Co workers is fun to be with - family attitude
The hardest part for me was the hours, having to work on holidays, standby's and the fact that I worked underground.
I stayed for the money, benefits and courses to improve myself
Well-balanced workplace
Analyst (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPMarch 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: the lack of flexi-time
Typically my day starts off by checking in with my colleague to see if everything in the QC lab is running smoothly. Any stock shortages would prompt quote requests to the suppliers. Any documents amendments with regards to standard operating procedures and methods would be done by me. Check whether calibration standards are used optimally.

I've leant a lot about ICP-OES/MS instrumentation by working – more... with these instruments first-hand. I've leaned about process control and how important each link in the process-flow is for system to run at optimal levels.

Management is very much involved in the day-to-day running of the lab. Information is transparent and readily available to everyone.

There is respect for everyone among the co-workers. Everyone works well together.

The hardest part of the job is getting rid of bad habits. Sometimes people are incapable of understanding the reasons why things should be done in a certain way.

I love working with statistics. Making sense of raw data and being able to make efficient changes based of statistical data is very rewarding, i.e. optimizing calibration standards to achieve lower limits of detection. – less
Safe Workplace
Process Supervisor (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWMarch 4, 2015
Productive and Safe Workplace. Innovative, Collaboration, Integrity and Profitable. We put safety first and train every employee. Interacting with people of different ethnic.
worked as acontractoe for ten years
lab technician (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: canteen
Cons: 8 hrs
good workin enviroment.learnt a lot of things in my working field,aquired a number of certificates,but no personal growth
Good company to work for with poor management at time.
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: good medical aid and pension
Cons: management.
Too much meeting and to lest time in the field to complete the legal work. Good working environment. Too much senior staff that all want to give orders. Good team relationship
Productictive and challengin workplace
Payroll Officer (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: recognition for my work
Cons: long hours especially month end
Always Busy
Learned to work under pressure and as a team
Caring for thie employees
Cost closing days are the mos hardest days as i have to work extra hours but i learned to work under pressure.
Socialising with employees and getting recognition for my work
Productive and hard working place
HR Assistant (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: incentives
Cons: required to work extra hours if there is need
Daily Staffing and employee services
Learned more about different people and attitudes
How Management works in an indusrries
The hardest part is to deal with difficult employees
The most enjoyable part is that every attitute that a person gives to me i can handle it with ease.

1 2 3 4 5

About Anglo American

Anglo American’s metallurgical coal business is one of Australia’s leading metallurgical coal producers with extensive coal mining – Read more