Anglo American

Anglo American Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
self development
Senior Administrator Materials Supply (Current Employee), Thabazimbi, LPMarch 14, 2015
Pros: after work
Cons: overtimes
I always try to learn something new,When my supervisor is doing something new I sit with him and learn,it become very interesting because gaining knowledge is very important for person's life.I also learning from my mistakes,when I have done mistakes I make sure that there are no repeat.The most hardest job is when I do job and taking time to meet deadline but what I do I ask my team to work or to assist so that I can meet target in time,because timing is very important.I also enjoy work when we work as a team.
Stressfull, but well paying workplace
Colliery VOHE Officer (Current Employee), Witbank, MPMarch 12, 2015
Pros: benefits, salary, room to grow
Cons: long hours, standby, working on holidays
Proud to be working for Anglo American. Good all-round company to work for.
I grew a lot as person.
Management not always up to par.
Co workers is fun to be with - family attitude
The hardest part for me was the hours, having to work on holidays, standby's and the fact that I worked underground.
I stayed for the money, benefits and courses to improve myself
Well-balanced workplace
Analyst (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPMarch 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: the lack of flexi-time
Typically my day starts off by checking in with my colleague to see if everything in the QC lab is running smoothly. Any stock shortages would prompt quote requests to the suppliers. Any documents amendments with regards to standard operating procedures and methods would be done by me. Check whether calibration standards are used optimally.

I've leant a lot about ICP-OES/MS instrumentation by working with these instruments first-hand. I've leaned about process control and how important each link in the process-flow is for system to run at optimal levels.

Management is very much involved in the day-to-day running of the lab. Information is transparent and readily available to everyone.

There is respect for everyone among the co-workers. Everyone works well together.

The hardest part of the job is getting rid of bad habits. Sometimes people are incapable of understanding the reasons why things should be done in a certain way.

I love working with statistics. Making sense of raw data and being able to make efficient changes based of statistical data is very rewarding, i.e. optimizing calibration standards to achieve lower limits of detection.
Safe Workplace
Process Supervisor (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWMarch 4, 2015
Productive and Safe Workplace. Innovative, Collaboration, Integrity and Profitable. We put safety first and train every employee. Interacting with people of different ethnic.
worked as acontractoe for ten years
lab technician (Current Employee), Johannesburg, GPFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: canteen
Cons: 8 hrs
good workin enviroment.learnt a lot of things in my working field,aquired a number of certificates,but no personal growth
Good company to work for with poor management at time.
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: good medical aid and pension
Cons: management.
Too much meeting and to lest time in the field to complete the legal work. Good working environment. Too much senior staff that all want to give orders. Good team relationship
Productictive and challengin workplace
Payroll Officer (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: recognition for my work
Cons: long hours especially month end
Always Busy
Learned to work under pressure and as a team
Caring for thie employees
Cost closing days are the mos hardest days as i have to work extra hours but i learned to work under pressure.
Socialising with employees and getting recognition for my work
Productive and hard working place
HR Assistant (Current Employee), Polokwane, LPJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: incentives
Cons: required to work extra hours if there is need
Daily Staffing and employee services
Learned more about different people and attitudes
How Management works in an indusrries
The hardest part is to deal with difficult employees
The most enjoyable part is that every attitute that a person gives to me i can handle it with ease.
Safe working enviroment
HSE Officer (Current Employee), Postmasburg, NCJanuary 13, 2015
To further my career development in the field of Health, Safety and Environment, Hazard identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA), OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 implementation, Ex- and Internal Auditing, Training. I would like to be part of an organization that offers potential growth, advancement opportunities, skill and knowledge development, and long term career opportunities
Full function secretarial functions
Assistant Company Secretary (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: subsidize lunch, housing loans, car allowance, medical aid, free group life insurance and local and international travel.
Cons: late hours which made me put my family second
My job commenced very early in the mornings and sometimes went late into the evening.
I learned that each person was different and had a different skill set that made the department successful.
Working in a team was vital.
I had an open door policy with regards to work with my manager and the company's directors.
The hardest part of the job was getting people to dedicate themselves to completing the task as they were clock watchers.
the part that I enjoyed most was the interaction with the directors and other stakeholders with regards to my job.
Excellent Employer
INFORMATIN MANAGER - COMMERCIAL SYSTEMS (Former Employee), Witbank, MPJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: medical aid pension contribution
Developed a valuable skill set in a professional environment
Work under enormous pressure
BU Category Manager (Former Employee), Kathu, NCDecember 30, 2014
Long working hours

Commitment and integrity

Need to lead Management

Enjoy co-workers

To succeed with good results
Learn something new each day
HR Intership (Former Employee), Kathu, NCDecember 8, 2014
Deadline for payroll closing and you still have outstanding documents to submit, I have learned that one should not always to wait for the last day to submit as it is easy now to make lot of mistakes, I always managed to complete tasks by prioritizing them, knowing what is important and what is urgent.
Nice environment for retirement
HRD Officer (Engineering Assessor) (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWNovember 24, 2014
Cons: no pay for extra work
Start work at 8'o clock and go to the assembly for prayer.
To always be clued up with the latest technology so as to teach the young stars about the averall life expectency.
Good management that ahad understanding
Very negative towards what you are doing as they not knowing the field you are in.
The salary was really horrible for a head of the family.
When going on school trips.
GOOD WORKING PLACE
FITTER (Current Employee), Rustenburg, NWNovember 20, 2014
Pros: free gifts
Cons: long hours depending on job
WORKING AT ANGLO WAS A GOOD WORKING EXPERIENCE FOR ME. LEARNED HOW TO WORK WITH DIFFRENT KIND OF PEOPLE. MANGEMENT ALWAYS CARE ABOUT EMPLOYEES AND CO-WORKERS GIVE SUPPORT TO EVERY DIFFICULTY THAT A PERSON GOES THROUGH. ALWAYS HAVING A HUSTLE WHEN WORKINING WITH PEOPLE OF A DIFFRENT DEPARTMENT. BUT ALWAYS ENJOYED WHEN A JOB WAS PERFECTLY DONE IN A SAFE MANNER.
Principal Mining Engineer (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPNovember 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: away from home
Learnt a lot - made me a better Mining Engineer.
Great benefits - look after emplyees
good and enjoyable to work
Acting Electrician (Former Employee), Amandelbult, LPNovember 17, 2014
Pros: bonuses
Cons: long hours
being able to learn to cope working long hours with difficult schedule,coorpotating with my team and superviser and working standbyes
Project Manager (Former Employee), Northam, LPNovember 12, 2014
Pros: excellent working environment
Cons: contractual appointment
- Great company with high expectations
- Great potential for growth
- Highly motivated staff
- Production orientated
Its a very good company
Safety Officer (Current Employee), Kathu, NCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: free lunches when having meeting and functions hosted by hq
Cons: long hours work not permitted
Start to work at 7:00 in the morning and complete the day at 16:00
Learned a lot about the system used by the company and the proper application of MHS Act
The management of the company is very well informed and participate/involved/contribute100% towards safety of the employees
Co-workers were very helpfull moreover towards safety of employees
When the is an incident which needs to be investigated and have a negative stats reporting on the project
Professional and supporting growth
Project Services Manager (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPNovember 7, 2014
Pros: wellness programmes, the campus gym, safety in general, campus doctors
Cons: location of our campus, safety concerns
Its a pity that the mining environment has become very turbulent lately, especially Anglo American as a result of external factors (strikes, change of economic and political field).

Anglo American itself looks after the employees, which are the driving force of the company success. As the Oppenheimers stated that the employees are the valuable resource.

Anglo American is well managed, opportunities for growth existed and it is indeed one of the best private, Global companies I have worked for.
Management is very broad minded, they support people's growth in so many ways.
The hardest part was to always deal with a uncertain future which has landed me where I am currently ( retrenched).
The most enjoyable was the benefit from the company performance, the bonuses were fair as we knew that the company was doing very well using the well looked after workforce.

1 2 3 4 5

About Anglo American

Anglo American’s metallurgical coal business is one of Australia’s leading metallurgical coal producers with extensive coal mining – Read more