ANDREW PELLER LIMITED Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Fun work place
Financial Accountant - Capital Assets (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ONFebruary 9, 2015
Started work at 8.00am and sometimes we had wine testing, learnt a lot about wines. Management was very good , they always involved us in the growth of the company and we worked closely as a team with other departments. The hardest part of the job was to make sure my schedules are ready for the board pack every 3rd day of the month and the enjoyable part is that i made my deadlines all the time
Pros
free wines
Cons
pressure at month end
Unprofessional and Unaccomodating
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ONAugust 3, 2015
When I started at Andrew Peller Limited, I was hired by a great guy who was understanding of the fact I am also in school part-time.

I was hired for a part-time job and it was clear to my employer that I had other matters of importance. This was fine for months. Seven months after I'd gotten the job, my direct supervisor was forced to retire. I say forced because he did not want to - they forced him out. I then stuck with this job for another three months under a new boss who managed two locations - in other words, she worked part-time at each store. This meant that our store had four part-timers plus a part-time manager. One part-timer left for a better job opportunity toward the end of the first month. My new boss didn't even put up a hiring sign for applicants until my coworker had finished working her two weeks. Naturally, the our team was spread pretty thin.

Given that I was in school part-time - a fact I explained to my boss when she first took over the location, and which she expressed no issue with - the overabundance of hours grew to be an issue. I regularly worked 24-32 hours, which ranged anywhere from 5 to even 6 days a week due to some of the shifts being less than 8 hours. When I was first hired, it was on the terms that I would not be needed to work any more than 24 hours, a fact that was also explained to my new manager. Nevertheless, what was meant to be a maximum became the minimum. Furthermore, while working only 3 shifts a week at 8 hours each is quite manageable, working 6 days a week for 4 hours each is extremely stifling on life outside the workplace.
  more...

I stayed with the job, expecting the situation surely would improve once we got a replacement - after all, my boss assured all of us that this would be the case. We didn't get a replacement until a full month later, and even after three weeks of training, the new hire was having no effect whatsoever on hours. Furthermore, despite having never once requested time off, never having missed a shift, and never even so much as trading a shift with anyone else, my boss began to give me a hard time about requesting a bit of time off - not vacation time, but simply days that I had exams to write. I've since resigned from Andrew Peller Limited, unfortunately, as it was because of the poor personal and management skills of my boss that I lacked the time to complete my schooling - I'm continuing the same course in September, so no lasting harm save for my time, if you don't consider that lasting harm. Three days after leaving the job I've heard from my coworkers that my manager has been slandering me after my departure, claiming I sat around and read magazines every day (I've never even touched a magazine in my entire life, and I don't bring novels to work; it's impossible to focus long enough when working in retail)

Now, I realize this is hardly a fair representation of the company as a whole, but rather an individual, but I believe it to be rather telling about the company that they should employ such a person for a management position. All efforts to contact my district manager were rebuffed, met with disinterest and utter disregard for my opinion. I'm a polite person. I never once spoke ill of my manager, either to herself or to the district manager. I was simply requesting that the conditions of my employment as well as basic necessities be met. After all, it was a part-time position.

I still keep in touch with my coworkers, though another one has since left (she left a week after I did, in fact). Evidently, the manager has elected not to hire any new hands, but instead rely on two part-timers to run the store for her, as that's all that remain of our staff. Absolutely ridiculous.
Pros
A selection of inexpensive wines determined by the company each month.
Cons
Complete disregard for the well-being of its employees, unprofessional practices, uninformative, sales focused; abysmal customer service
Excellent Customer service skills provided with delightful coworkers
Sales Representive (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 20, 2014
Andrew Peller Limited was a great company to work with, very educational and enlightening.
Pros
wine knowledge
Cons
not enough hours

ANDREW PELLER LIMITED Reviews by Job Title