Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc

Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc Employee Reviews

Great pay but hard work is not recognized by management
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2016
This is a very rewarding job to give back to community. It is a very fast demanding physical job. You learn to manage your time very well. The pay is good and its done by hour. The down sides are there is a lot of gossip about the staff. When going the extra mile is not recognized. There is a lot of favouritism in the work place by management which makes for a culture of distrust.
Pros
Free Lunch, Residents are great
Cons
There is a lot of favouritism
Labour intensive, short staff
Cook (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON22 November 2016
If it wasn't for the block system for scheduling and long commute, I probably would apply myself more to the company, to improve a few things. Co-workers have a negative aspect towards their jobs.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long commute
Good company to work for
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2016
Enjoyed working at Amica. Loved my co-workers and the management team.

Went through a lot of management changes and has since been bought out.
Professional, Busy Environment
Wellness & Vitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON6 June 2016
Typical day is teaching exercise classes in the morning from 8:30-11:30am, covering the reception desk for an hour during their lunch break, then conducting afternoon activities for the residents. Schedule is always changing and not very flexible to have a life outside of work. You must be flexible to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
No team culture. People are treated like commodities.
1st cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2016
Corporate Management does not seem to care how their actions affect the lives of their employees or in some instances even the residents.
Pros
Steady year-round work. Some good local team members and community managers. Reasonably good pay.
Cons
Corporate management very cold hearted and shrewd. Poor communication with community level.
Rewarding Job & Amazing Community
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 March 2016
I began working for Amica one summer as a volunteer straight out of high school. Management were very approachable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with the residents.
All staff worked as a team, from PSW, nurses and concierge we all made sure that residents were our number one priority. When I finally started working full-time as a night shift-concierge, the job became less social and a lot lonelier. Nevertheless, I am very grateful for all the opportunities that I was given throughout the years while working for Amica.
Enojoyed the residents, management was difficult towork with
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC1 March 2016
I enjoyed my position at this company because I enjoyed spending time with residents and helping them live an independent lifestyle.

Working under my direct supervisor was difficult as I felt as though I was being bullied or harassed about my appearance at work despite following company guidelines.
Pros
Getting to know residents, team environment
Cons
Percieved unfairness
Good
Elderly Care Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2016
Good environment friendly staff and the clients was great to work with. Gives you a good insight to the life as an elderly and the struggles and challenges to come when you get older and also shows you life is life just live it.
Good work environment, good work ethics
Housekeeping manager (Current Employee) –  19 Rean Drive, North York12 January 2016
Manage 10 employee. Assign work load for each person. Inspect for quality and quantity of work. Make sure that everything is operating properly. Participate it the daily, weekly, monthly meetings. Do schedules, payrolls, order supplies, hire, fire, discipline employee. Doing some recognition too. Training new employee. Have some conversations with residents (requests, complaints) which are very funny sometimes. Very busy environment.
Not a very company to work with
cook (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 November 2015
I worked 5 years and finally they laid me off, because they couldn't afford me because of my rate, they said over staffed !!!!
fun place
Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON12 November 2015
it was a very fun atmosphere and everyone one is positive and outgoing. the supervisor is a very lazy and uncaring individual as with the head chef.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
long hours stressful
A typical night at work.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham28 July 2015
A typical night at work is coming on the floor to hear the report before starting my rounds to make sure all residents are in bed/their rooms and no immediate concerns are present. I then proceed to work on any paper work left and fill out the daily records. I go on my rounds three times a night and answer any call bells and attend to any emergency that happens during my shift. Around 6am i start to wake up, wash and dress a few residents to help the morning staff.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
working midnights, long travel time
Great company, and enjoy working one on one, with great people
event cordinater (Former Employee) –  mississauga15 January 2015
Love be able to put smiles on peoples faces, get to meet new people on a daily basis
over worked and under appreciated
Regional Sales & Marketing Manager (CRM) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2014
assist Teams
I learned that Corporate office does not care about the reality of the industry only the numbers.
Corporate Management are cutthroat
No teamwork only peacocking
Hardest part of the job is being forced to fired amazing people who work hard because the numbers were down even though they were doing everything right.
I loved being in the communities helping.
Pros
beautiful communities
Cons
Long Hours, no support
Good Company
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON12 September 2014
Good company to work for. Excellent benefits and training opportunties.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Overnight shift
Fun working
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Thornhill28 May 2014
Very friendly environment, and i like the job to serve elderly people
Over All wonderful company to work for
Casual concierge (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON1 April 2014
Only having worked at the company for approximately one month, it is hard to write a full review. The people (coworkers) at Amica Dundas are very friendly, helpful and professional. The pay rate is higher than expected in today's economy, and after a probational period there are benefits. You are required to provide a criminal record check, an immunization and vaccination screening, and acquire proper fire training and any CPR, First Aid, WHMIS certificates. The company will also pay for your uniforms, training and vaccinations you have not previously received. The residents within the building are nothing short of amazing. Everyone who resides at Amica or visits the facility is extremely nice, polite and helpful in any way possible if you don't know your way around.
Pros
Free dinner when working the afternoon shifts, higher than expected income, great work environment. etc.
Cons
being casual I only receive limited hours
Poor communication . High turnover. Lack of respect
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2013
Amica is a poorly managed company. Lots of closed door discussions. High turnover. Odd decisions are made. Lots of finger pointing and mistrust. Lots of drama and rude , un-kind behaviour.
Pros
Nice to work for seniors.
Cons
Low trust environment.
Hard work
House Keeping (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON4 October 2013
definitely must be willing to work really hard , certain times of the year it gets very hot or very cold in some parts of the building. some staff is friendly, not much advancement
Pros
wonderful residents
N/A
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON12 September 2013
Amica was a nice place to work at. I spend 1 year for my career working there.