Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc Employee Reviews

A fantastic place until recentley
Dining Room Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill10 July 2017
Amica has always provided a balanced work/personal life. Recently, after the takeover from Baybridge Senior Living, the mission statement and values from Amica have been lost
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Not a great team any more
Loved working at Somerset Dallas Rd Victoria BC
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2017
In the Years of working as a server for Somerset I grew to love my Co Workers as well as Management. I couldn't have asked for a better lot of people to work with and work for. The residence were also amazing. If you love Seniors and love Hospitality Amica Life Styles is definitely for you.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
I never had any
Very good place to work
Eastern Regional DOC - Registered Nurse -Full Time (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
Working as Director of care and able to provide leadership and mentor the nursing team. Good work life balance.
Culture is great, I am able to hire the staff to suit the environment.
Great opportunities for development
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Long drive to get to work
Inclusive and self promoting atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 March 2017
Working at Amica was an eye opener on how businesses and organizations should be operated. They treat employees like family and promote education and learning new skills to take yourself up the ladder in the company. They treat the clients with care and respect.
Great Resident
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 January 2017
Amica at first was a wonderful place to work at. The staff was fun, energetic, out going. Things changed with new management.
Pros
Residents were incredible people
Cons
Gossiping
Okay place to work
RPN (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 January 2017
Management was very friendly and approachable. But the rate of pay (19$ for rpn) was low for the amount of work you were expected to do. You were often running behind, and between multiple floors and still be expected to finish your med pass. Psw staffs were extremely understaffed only having 2 too the floor. Sometimes no psws would come in at all.
Pros
Friendly envorment
Cons
Undstaffed - low pay
Great pay but hard work is not recognized by management
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2016
This is a very rewarding job to give back to community. It is a very fast demanding physical job. You learn to manage your time very well. The pay is good and its done by hour. The down sides are there is a lot of gossip about the staff. When going the extra mile is not recognized. There is a lot of favouritism in the work place by management which makes for a culture of distrust.
Pros
Free Lunch, Residents are great
Cons
There is a lot of favouritism
Labour intensive, short staff
Cook (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON22 November 2016
If it wasn't for the block system for scheduling and long commute, I probably would apply myself more to the company, to improve a few things. Co-workers have a negative aspect towards their jobs.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long commute
Good company to work for
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2016
Enjoyed working at Amica. Loved my co-workers and the management team.

Went through a lot of management changes and has since been bought out.
Professional, Busy Environment
Wellness & Vitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON6 June 2016
Typical day is teaching exercise classes in the morning from 8:30-11:30am, covering the reception desk for an hour during their lunch break, then conducting afternoon activities for the residents. Schedule is always changing and not very flexible to have a life outside of work. You must be flexible to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
No team culture. People are treated like commodities.
1st cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2016
Corporate Management does not seem to care how their actions affect the lives of their employees or in some instances even the residents.
Pros
Steady year-round work. Some good local team members and community managers. Reasonably good pay.
Cons
Corporate management very cold hearted and shrewd. Poor communication with community level.
Rewarding Job & Amazing Community
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 March 2016
I began working for Amica one summer as a volunteer straight out of high school. Management were very approachable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with the residents.
All staff worked as a team, from PSW, nurses and concierge we all made sure that residents were our number one priority. When I finally started working full-time as a night shift-concierge, the job became less social and a lot lonelier. Nevertheless, I am very grateful for all the opportunities that I was given throughout the years while working for Amica.
Enojoyed the residents, management was difficult towork with
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC1 March 2016
I enjoyed my position at this company because I enjoyed spending time with residents and helping them live an independent lifestyle.

Working under my direct supervisor was difficult as I felt as though I was being bullied or harassed about my appearance at work despite following company guidelines.
Pros
Getting to know residents, team environment
Cons
Percieved unfairness
Good
Elderly Care Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2016
Good environment friendly staff and the clients was great to work with. Gives you a good insight to the life as an elderly and the struggles and challenges to come when you get older and also shows you life is life just live it.
Good work environment, good work ethics
Housekeeping manager (Current Employee) –  19 Rean Drive, North York12 January 2016
Manage 10 employee. Assign work load for each person. Inspect for quality and quantity of work. Make sure that everything is operating properly. Participate it the daily, weekly, monthly meetings. Do schedules, payrolls, order supplies, hire, fire, discipline employee. Doing some recognition too. Training new employee. Have some conversations with residents (requests, complaints) which are very funny sometimes. Very busy environment.
Not a very company to work with
cook (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 November 2015
I worked 5 years and finally they laid me off, because they couldn't afford me because of my rate, they said over staffed !!!!
fun place
Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON12 November 2015
it was a very fun atmosphere and everyone one is positive and outgoing. the supervisor is a very lazy and uncaring individual as with the head chef.
Pros
positive environment
Cons
long hours stressful
A typical night at work.
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham28 July 2015
A typical night at work is coming on the floor to hear the report before starting my rounds to make sure all residents are in bed/their rooms and no immediate concerns are present. I then proceed to work on any paper work left and fill out the daily records. I go on my rounds three times a night and answer any call bells and attend to any emergency that happens during my shift. Around 6am i start to wake up, wash and dress a few residents to help the morning staff.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
working midnights, long travel time
Great company, and enjoy working one on one, with great people
event cordinater (Former Employee) –  mississauga15 January 2015
Love be able to put smiles on peoples faces, get to meet new people on a daily basis
over worked and under appreciated
Regional Sales & Marketing Manager (CRM) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2014
assist Teams
I learned that Corporate office does not care about the reality of the industry only the numbers.
Corporate Management are cutthroat
No teamwork only peacocking
Hardest part of the job is being forced to fired amazing people who work hard because the numbers were down even though they were doing everything right.
I loved being in the communities helping.
Pros
beautiful communities
Cons
Long Hours, no support