Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc Employee Reviews

Soul sucking.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 December 2017
If you like working in a toxic work environment where you are belittled and treated like a child. Amica has got it! Backstabbing ? Amica has got it! Non recognition? The blame game? If you prefer incompetence over experience and common sense All to save a buck. Apply here.

Side effects are burn out. Loss of precious time with your loved ones , damage to your self esteem, and PTSD from constant bullying from management.
Pros
1 Residents, 2 Some staff
Cons
You are just a number nothing more!
until they show their true colours (management that is)
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC28 November 2017
i was there for a few years found the seniority in h/keeping a joke, the back stabbers push you out if your not like THEM. They definitely are not easy to get along with. Do you think they remember what it was like when they started working there! Do not like people who cant take blame for their own actions.
Pros
loved the residence - they cared more for some house keepers and knew the hard-er workers
Cons
This seniority garb....we are all human beings - stop the bullying
Excellent company & culture
Regional Director of Sales & Marketing (Current Employee) –  Vancouver BC Canada23 October 2017
Excellent company & culture.An industry leader in developing culture, growing internal talent and developing a sales culture within the entire organization. Would only leave to relocate.
Unprofessional Environment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON17 October 2017
Horrible management. If you truly care about the elderly this is not a place for you to work at. Consistent concern about employees not doing their job was always brought to the attention of management but nothing was ever done. The pay is not worth the constant hassle and lies of better shifts and advancement.
High stress environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2017
The managers lack any of the required personal skills which is very important for the morale of the employees and residents.No matter how hard you work to bring stuff up to standard that was not there before, one is not acknowledged or appreciated for it.
The only good thing I have gotten from working for this organization are the work relationships I have built.A typical day at work can be quite stressful and extremely busy.
Pros
Amazing residents, Great location, Im not there anymore
Cons
short staffed, poor management, low moral, over worked, no growth
Interesting
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 September 2017
It is an interesting experience depending on what it is you'll be doing. It is good for those who wish to work with the elderly and for those wanting to be come a nurse.
Not for a new grad
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON11 August 2017
As a nurse you are the only health care professional in the building. This is not a job for a new grad. You do not have the experience or confidence for this position.
Personal support worker,
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON27 July 2017
Typical day at work: went to work for 7:00 a.M. Continue working until 3;00 pm. Attending to the resident, bathing, assistant in dressing and undressing resdient. Listening to the comlaints, if any.

Through the years I learned to step out of myself and listen to the resident, I showed them love and compassion.

Management: thought I was one of the best psw, they knew. They trusted me with the resident, if there was a problelm I would try and solve the problem or bring to management.
The hardest part was lifting the resdient if they fell.
I love listening to the resident telling me stories of their past, who they were and what they learned
Pros
Good team
Cons
Sometimes double shifts
A fantastic place until recentley
Dining Room Manager (Current Employee) –  Thornhill10 July 2017
Amica has always provided a balanced work/personal life. Recently, after the takeover from Baybridge Senior Living, the mission statement and values from Amica have been lost
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Not a great team any more
Loved working at Somerset Dallas Rd Victoria BC
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2017
In the Years of working as a server for Somerset I grew to love my Co Workers as well as Management. I couldn't have asked for a better lot of people to work with and work for. The residence were also amazing. If you love Seniors and love Hospitality Amica Life Styles is definitely for you.
Pros
Good Benifits
Cons
I never had any
Very good place to work
Eastern Regional DOC - Registered Nurse -Full Time (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2017
Working as Director of care and able to provide leadership and mentor the nursing team. Good work life balance.
Culture is great, I am able to hire the staff to suit the environment.
Great opportunities for development
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Long drive to get to work
Inclusive and self promoting atmosphere
Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 March 2017
Working at Amica was an eye opener on how businesses and organizations should be operated. They treat employees like family and promote education and learning new skills to take yourself up the ladder in the company. They treat the clients with care and respect.
Great Resident
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 January 2017
Amica at first was a wonderful place to work at. The staff was fun, energetic, out going. Things changed with new management.
Pros
Residents were incredible people
Cons
Gossiping
Okay place to work
RPN (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON3 January 2017
Management was very friendly and approachable. But the rate of pay (19$ for rpn) was low for the amount of work you were expected to do. You were often running behind, and between multiple floors and still be expected to finish your med pass. Psw staffs were extremely understaffed only having 2 too the floor. Sometimes no psws would come in at all.
Pros
Friendly envorment
Cons
Undstaffed - low pay
Great pay but hard work is not recognized by management
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2016
This is a very rewarding job to give back to community. It is a very fast demanding physical job. You learn to manage your time very well. The pay is good and its done by hour. The down sides are there is a lot of gossip about the staff. When going the extra mile is not recognized. There is a lot of favouritism in the work place by management which makes for a culture of distrust.
Pros
Free Lunch, Residents are great
Cons
There is a lot of favouritism
Labour intensive, short staff
Cook (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON22 November 2016
If it wasn't for the block system for scheduling and long commute, I probably would apply myself more to the company, to improve a few things. Co-workers have a negative aspect towards their jobs.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Long commute
Good company to work for
Administrative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 August 2016
Enjoyed working at Amica. Loved my co-workers and the management team.

Went through a lot of management changes and has since been bought out.
Professional, Busy Environment
Wellness & Vitality Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dundas, ON6 June 2016
Typical day is teaching exercise classes in the morning from 8:30-11:30am, covering the reception desk for an hour during their lunch break, then conducting afternoon activities for the residents. Schedule is always changing and not very flexible to have a life outside of work. You must be flexible to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
No team culture. People are treated like commodities.
1st cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 May 2016
Corporate Management does not seem to care how their actions affect the lives of their employees or in some instances even the residents.
Pros
Steady year-round work. Some good local team members and community managers. Reasonably good pay.
Cons
Corporate management very cold hearted and shrewd. Poor communication with community level.
Rewarding Job & Amazing Community
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON28 March 2016
I began working for Amica one summer as a volunteer straight out of high school. Management were very approachable and friendly. The most enjoyable part of my job was spending time with the residents.
All staff worked as a team, from PSW, nurses and concierge we all made sure that residents were our number one priority. When I finally started working full-time as a night shift-concierge, the job became less social and a lot lonelier. Nevertheless, I am very grateful for all the opportunities that I was given throughout the years while working for Amica.