American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

SAP implementation has become all consuming
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2014
Variety of duties. Great coworkers. Lots going on. Recent SAP implementation seems to have 'taken over' most of the attention of IT. Hopefully, this will settle out in time and allow focus to shift on other IT projects.

Wished I could have stayed longer to gain some SAP experience to be able to contribute to the team.
Pros
coworkers, work from home no problem
Cons
sap implementation is demanding a specific skill set
A place to work.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 11, 2014
The building landlord was thorough when the grass needed to be cut or the snow needed to be shoveled.
Pros
close to public transportation. free lunch once a month.
Very nice,productive, friendly work place
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 7, 2014
I am a contractor at American Water and must say its a very nice laid back friendly work enviroment. Team work co-workers are very nice. A little un organize at time, but over all a nice place to work.
We provide customers with safe and clean water
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJOctober 6, 2014
We serve an estimated 14 million people in more than 40 states and parts of Canada.
Pros
telecommuting offered, flex time, company sponsored events, flexible schedule, no micromanagement
Overtime overload
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILSeptember 20, 2014
I am no stranger to work, and I don't mind being able to make a little extra money every now and then. However the amount of mandated over time as a newbie is a bit much. Actually more than a bit. Just don't work the nighshift. With that shift, you don't have a set time where you don't work so your sleep habits and your eating is shot. I feel my health failing...
Pros
pay is decent and the insurance is great!
Cons
overtime will kill you!
Productive Call Center
Customer Service Rep/Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 15, 2014
American Water is a good call center to work for. They have great customer service representatives. It can be a stressful job but the management goes out their way to help make it better.
benefits
Stable company to work for
Workforce Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 12, 2014
American Water is a good company to work for. They are the largest utility company in the country which makes for stability. Health Benefits and Salary were great.
Office politics were very disappointing as well as consistency.
benefits
Cons
lacks constructive criticism and consistency
Good
Accounting Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 9, 2014
Good place to work, enjoy working with the people. Learned so much from working with the team.
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJAugust 27, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
Unclear leadership direction
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJAugust 20, 2014
The leadership changes like the wind thus making it difficult to be efficient and effective.
Co-workers are great---family oriented
Management needs further development and experience
Pros
healthcare
American Water has given me a broad experience of skills, allowed myself to be creative provlem solver.
Customer service floor supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alton , ILAugust 19, 2014
Telling you more about American water from my own experience working for the company starting with a typical day at work. Having turn style one door entry for security would make a great morning meet and greet place. I worked in an office that was the main hub of the customer service center. The best way to discribe daily routine is our office was set up as customer service to the customer service employees.
Things that I learn while at AMW would be how to work with differant personalities to acomplish one goal in making the best customer serive experience for our customers internaly or external.
Operations of the customer serivce center conterning phone availability time vs the employees scheduling and the importance thereof. Supervisor payroll approval process and the importance on being accurate. Business writing skills study and training to insure acurate and timely information given to assist the customer serivce center employees with the customer relationship.
My co-workers was the best part of my job experience at AMW per most of my immediante office was seasoned individuals with the company for many years and held knowledge and was egar to share with one another.
Hardest part of working for AMW was watching our office downsize to insure profit for the newly accured stock holders. It was over long time span and mostly thru natural arbitration or reassignment of job, still hard to break apart from our working enviroment. The most enjoyable part of my job would be how managment would work at making the employees feel important and appreciated. We had many wonderful giveaways
  more... and getaways to make us feel we did make the differance and someone would notice.  less
Pros
insurance, vacation time
Cons
forced overtime
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  KYAugust 16, 2014
Loved working for the temporary service that was with UK, helped me get into the full time position that I ended up with for over 7 years.
Very Productive
Specialty Desk Representative Level (Current Employee) –  Alton, IL 62002August 14, 2014
A typical day at American water for me is to deliver excellent Grade A customer service to each and every caller on the other end of the phone line. No matter what the situation or circumstance may be. On a daily basis I deliver perdenant productive information to each caller. It's never what you say it's how you say it. In addition to customer service, all guidelines and utility regulations must be obtained, remembered, and demonstrated infinitely.
Pros
education of the business and descriptions of work
Cons
american water is in the process of completing a lay off.
No Clue Management
Senior Accountant/Lead (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 7, 2014
Culture is terrible. Employees are not valued or promoted from within. T'he mindset is that external candidates possess skills that they don't want to invest in for existing employees. What ends of happening is that the skills they desire are either unreasonable or don't meet the salary expectations of the person who possesses them. Management is predominantly CPAs which have no clue about leadership, organizational development or the other basic components most MBAs possess. No one is trying to be mentors to help you advance you have to find those on your own outside of the company. If you are looking for advancement this is not the place. Too many levels in place to make it hard to reach the top and they are heavy on credentials which you won't use.
Pros
competitive salary, pretzel wednesday lol, some great people
Cons
management, advancement, moral, culture, and performance review process
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
Pros
great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons
understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
A suitable company in which the compensation outweighs the daily stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
A typical day can easily start off smooth however end up rough after dealing customer who thinks "I" myself was the enemy because their utility service was shut off for non payment over 6 months. All in all the supervisors were very helpful and easy to get along with and there was always a way to make more money.
Pros
7th day pay
Cons
certain supervisor bend rules
Caring company that supports their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 20, 2014
After working for a little over 5 yrs for AM Water, I feel like when I left, I lost part of a family. The management was always there for the employees. They not only supported us but there were perks, like pod parties monthly, recognition for special accomplishments like when someone one had a baby or got married. I learned that a company can be the boss and family in one.
My co-workers were fabulous and we worked as a team. Even the second call center in IL was considered part of the team.
The hardest part of the job was when a natural disaster occurred and not being able to do more for the customers. The field people were wonderful handling as much as they did.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that when your shift was over, you did the best you could and was proud of what you did.
Pros
fabulous break area, perks with qa scoring, earning points for goodies.
Cons
work area was cold but we knew that was because of the number of computers in the building.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 19, 2014
Responsible for, but not limited to, meeting quality and performance goals. Responsible for opening customer accounts, closing accounts and also issuing the correct service order when needed. Accepting payments when needed. Resolving problems by clarifying the customer complaint; determining the cause of the problem and selecting and explaining the best solution to resolve the problem.
Good company to work for.
Field Service Represantitive (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NJApril 13, 2014
Every day was a challenge I enjoyed. I liked working in the field as a
Field Service Rep.
California American Water - Don't even think about it!
Manager, Environmental Compliance (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 10, 2014
California American Water management doesn't have any regard for its employees. The company preaches "maintaining the utmost integrity." However, as a former employee who was dedicated and worked many extra hours on my own time, I was totally blindsided when my position was "eliminated," without warning, "due to financial considerations." The truth was I was apparently not highly favored by the company's senior management because I was honest with them, even though I kept the company from getting into trouble with state regulators. Less than a year after eliminating my position, one of my previous direct reports was appointed to a newly created higher-level position, with a higher salary, that did essentially what I was doing. That move should clearly indicate the kind of company California American Water is. Do not work for them if you want job security. They cannot be trusted.
Pros
decent salary and benefits
Cons
not trustworthy, disloyal