American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

Caring company that supports their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 20, 2014
After working for a little over 5 yrs for AM Water, I feel like when I left, I lost part of a family. The management was always there for the employees. They not only supported us but there were perks, like pod parties monthly, recognition for special accomplishments like when someone one had a baby or got married. I learned that a company can be the boss and family in one.
My co-workers were fabulous and we worked as a team. Even the second call center in IL was considered part of the team.
The hardest part of the job was when a natural disaster occurred and not being able to do more for the customers. The field people were wonderful handling as much as they did.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that when your shift was over, you did the best you could and was proud of what you did.
Pros
fabulous break area, perks with qa scoring, earning points for goodies.
Cons
work area was cold but we knew that was because of the number of computers in the building.
management are a bunch of bullies
hr (Former Employee) –  SSC WoodcrestApril 29, 2013
On outside looks like great company to work for...reality is they play favorites and make cases against loyal workers. Management has their own agenda and only "favorite employees" get advancement and/or better increases. Non favorite employees barely get an increase or no increase at all.
Cons
too many to mention
Productive and worked well with coworkers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of multitasking by starting to collect an array of samples going in and out of the plant. The instruments all then had to be calibrated for the tests to be conducted. In between running these tests I would also collect the sludge hauler samples throughout the day and run the pH and percent solids on each sample. For the standard tests I also learned to test phosphorus, solids, fecal coliform, ammonia, and MLSS. It was also my responsibility to walk the 7+MGD plant and report back to my supervisor and contact the plant operators to make proper adjustments as needed. The hardest part and most fun part must have been the same thing, collecting samples in the snow or pouring rain. It made the crew feel like kids again.
Pros
running lab tests
Cons
short lunch breaks
Laid Back Environment
Customer Service/Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2015
You're on the phone and at a desk all day. Management is amazing. They really work with your schedule and personal needs.
Pros
paid lunches, good break schedule
Cons
healthcare could be better
Good workplace.
driver/meter reader (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 23, 2015
Enjoyed working there and would do it again. The other employees are great. This was a learning experience for me. I learned alot working here.
The thing that gave me the most drive was the challenge of de-escalating a call and satisfying a customer desires with one call resolution..
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 4, 2013
My job consisted of multitasking. I mainly talked on the phone in the Help Que to assist Customer Service Representatives with systems knowledge, tips on de-escalating a call, assistance of research of company data base for services provided. I handled escalated/supervisor calls. I denied/approved customer faxes for new water service, if there has been previous bad debt at their property. Our department was a team. We had weekly team meetings to share updates to system and procedures. The customer call center management has turned over several times, which leaves it unstable and untrustworthy. I would like to see more loyalty from the company. KPI's (key production indicators) were set high and most time were based on personal judgement.
Pros
we worked as a team.
Cons
being notified that you have been mandated to work overtime at the end of your shift.
Great team work
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 22, 2012
Maintain reports of personnel, costs, productivity; supervise and train correspondence specialists; maintain office procedures; assist in personnel development; and coordinate work requirements. Areas of competency in human relations and personal development are included (communication, self-development, personal appearance, office attitude, social and business etiquette, and job-seeking skills).
Pros
close interaction with staff and ability to make changes to improve the job
Cons
limited advancement in current position
benefits
assesment managerent in water & wastewater (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILDecember 7, 2012
if you like being in the Army you enjoy this job.
people have no regards for their employees.
they do not follow their job descriptions.
they also build cases against people.
would they sit there and study situation.
do not really know the job. would consist of.
a lot of their equipment does not work properly.
how many times it cries wolf, and too much backstabbing.
Pros
soon they're good benefits will be gone too.
Cons
they have no regards toward illinois and federal labor relgated and put in jail.
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
Pros
great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons
understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
Productive and Fun
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, IllinoisJanuary 12, 2014
-Provided project managers with information about internal company programs and software as well as annual budgeting information.
-Prepared and populated all monthly accounting templates with "actuals". Then relayed this information to project managers and all other essential personnel within the company.
-Assisted management with various projects, on demand, as dictated by direct manager.
Inbound Customer Service Call Center
Business Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 6, 2012
Continually changing work environment that is fun and rewarding. The company provides the opportunity to continually grow in a career path until retirement.
Pros
company provided life insurance, affordable health insurance.
Cons
working evenings, weekends and holidays.
We provide customers with safe and clean water
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJOctober 6, 2014
We serve an estimated 14 million people in more than 40 states and parts of Canada.
Pros
telecommuting offered, flex time, company sponsored events, flexible schedule, no micromanagement
Regional Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJAugust 27, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
Senior Mailroom Coordinator
Senior Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill NJFebruary 5, 2014
Worked in American Water Mailroom for twelve years.
Opened and sorted mail for the Shared Service Center daily.
Learned to work in Corporate environment.
Last five years at American Water trained and guided two
other employees in all areas of mailroom operations.
Pros
great management team
Unclear leadership direction
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJAugust 20, 2014
The leadership changes like the wind thus making it difficult to be efficient and effective.
Co-workers are great---family oriented
Management needs further development and experience
Pros
healthcare
Good work environment with opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St.charlesMarch 1, 2015
During my time in this role I have been able to build effective professional relationships with co-workers. I have had the opportunity to improve my verbal and written communication
Great Benefits..Management is not diverse racially
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJDecember 12, 2013
Good company but not enough minorites in prominent roles. needs to work on diversity issues.
benefits
Cons
no diversity
Staying until something better comes along
Call Handling Supervisor (Current Employee) –  ILFebruary 12, 2014
Leadership is unprofessional; and will not practice what they preach. Benefits are good but I began looking for another position not long after I began. Pay is good for Reps beacuse it's a union shop .
Pros
union run, good benefits
Cons
mangement is unprofessional, low pay
SAP implementation has become all consuming
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2014
Variety of duties. Great coworkers. Lots going on. Recent SAP implementation seems to have 'taken over' most of the attention of IT. Hopefully, this will settle out in time and allow focus to shift on other IT projects.

Wished I could have stayed longer to gain some SAP experience to be able to contribute to the team.
Pros
coworkers, work from home no problem
Cons
sap implementation is demanding a specific skill set
An excellent work atmosphere with a lot of team building events.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 15, 2013
I worked receiving inbound calls mostly from disgruntled and/or delinquent customers, which, can sometimes be frustrating management conducted events in downtime or between calls to give a release that helped a lot.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
point system