American Water Employee Reviews

"STAY AWAY AND STAY OUT - PLEASE...." HR CANNOT BE TRUSTED
Not Available (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2012
Working here was a horrid experience almost from day one. If management sees you as a outcast you will be treated like an outcast. Employees have to fight for their job and management is both unethical, callous, and cruel. If you report that your supervisor did something REALLY REALLY BAD HR will stand behind them, make you believe that they (HR) is on your side, get you to say everything you can to them and then finally fire you for reporting EXTREMELY UNETHICAL misconduct by a supervisor. Being an honest person and in good faith is not welcome here even if it harms the business.

Management follows the MICRO-MANAGEMENT way of managing employees
MINORITIES SUFFER SEVERELY
There is no such thing as diversity here. If you are a bit different, you will be treated badly
Many times I would go into work and be terrified that I would be yelled at for doing the least bit of something wrong.
Employees are left fending for themselves and management will always think they are right and won't even listen to the competent employees
No growth potential
Nothing to learn, you will have to learn everything on your own.
HIGH MORAL VALUES ARE NOT WELCOME HERE VERY UNETHICAL
NO JOB SECURITY
WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS PATHETIC
Compensation is not good and the benefits will mean more doctor appointments from working here........!!!!
I beg you to think twice before applying for a job here EVER IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR WORK.
Pros
absolutely nothing
Cons
all the worst unethical business practices reside at this company
Nice laid work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 5, 2015
This was an great place to work! Although it was a temp agency and they could only keep a certain amount of people I really enjoyed myself here.
Great Benefits, bad management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLNovember 19, 2013
Benefits are awesome. However, you are on a 90 day rotation when it comes to the schedule. You could have a 2-11 shift one day which could allow you to got to school in the day time but then you may end up with a schedule that is 12-8 because the other shifts ran out. Additionally, you are mandated to take OT. 2 hours and most times this is every day. The OT is either 2 hours before your shift or 2 hours after your shift. If you work a mid day schedule it will be 1 hour before and 1 hour after. This type of workplace was really not conducive to my lifestyle. However, when I was single and did not have a child and wasn't in school, it was only a minor inconvenience for me to change my schedule.
Pros
good benefits hour lunch
Stable company to work for
Workforce Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 12, 2014
American Water is a good company to work for. They are the largest utility company in the country which makes for stability. Health Benefits and Salary were great.
Office politics were very disappointing as well as consistency.
benefits
Cons
lacks constructive criticism and consistency
Great place to spend a career
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 4, 2015
Many great benefits for employees. I am loving my new job. Lots of opportunities also. Many positions are virtual meaning you can work in any office in the company.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
management are a bunch of bullies
hr (Former Employee) –  SSC WoodcrestApril 29, 2013
On outside looks like great company to work for...reality is they play favorites and make cases against loyal workers. Management has their own agenda and only "favorite employees" get advancement and/or better increases. Non favorite employees barely get an increase or no increase at all.
Cons
too many to mention
Great Teamwork
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJOctober 9, 2015
Gave me exposure to working within a n large utility organization. Assisted with the customer needs and identifying areas of concern
Productive Call Center
Customer Service Rep/Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 15, 2014
American Water is a good call center to work for. They have great customer service representatives. It can be a stressful job but the management goes out their way to help make it better.
benefits
Caring company that supports their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 20, 2014
After working for a little over 5 yrs for AM Water, I feel like when I left, I lost part of a family. The management was always there for the employees. They not only supported us but there were perks, like pod parties monthly, recognition for special accomplishments like when someone one had a baby or got married. I learned that a company can be the boss and family in one.
My co-workers were fabulous and we worked as a team. Even the second call center in IL was considered part of the team.
The hardest part of the job was when a natural disaster occurred and not being able to do more for the customers. The field people were wonderful handling as much as they did.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that when your shift was over, you did the best you could and was proud of what you did.
Pros
fabulous break area, perks with qa scoring, earning points for goodies.
Cons
work area was cold but we knew that was because of the number of computers in the building.
Under paid over worked
Operator II (Current Employee) –  San AntonioJune 8, 2015
Very good company problem is the average pay for a Waste water operator in San Antonio is 40k @ entry level,don't expect that.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay
The thing that gave me the most drive was the challenge of de-escalating a call and satisfying a customer desires with one call resolution..
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 4, 2013
My job consisted of multitasking. I mainly talked on the phone in the Help Que to assist Customer Service Representatives with systems knowledge, tips on de-escalating a call, assistance of research of company data base for services provided. I handled escalated/supervisor calls. I denied/approved customer faxes for new water service, if there has been previous bad debt at their property. Our department was a team. We had weekly team meetings to share updates to system and procedures. The customer call center management has turned over several times, which leaves it unstable and untrustworthy. I would like to see more loyalty from the company. KPI's (key production indicators) were set high and most time were based on personal judgement.
Pros
we worked as a team.
Cons
being notified that you have been mandated to work overtime at the end of your shift.
Fast paced
AWE (Current Employee) –  AWEMay 15, 2015
Leaders genuinely care bout their employees. Limited opportunities for advancement but a pleasurable work environment, if you like stress.
Low Morale, prison like environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMarch 19, 2015
The work is at times overwhelming, the pay is mediocre. The overall environment is depressing. Stress is high and there is no room for advancement.
Pros
you receive a check
Cons
stressful, underpaid, under appreciated, no room to advance
Great team work
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  FLOctober 22, 2012
Maintain reports of personnel, costs, productivity; supervise and train correspondence specialists; maintain office procedures; assist in personnel development; and coordinate work requirements. Areas of competency in human relations and personal development are included (communication, self-development, personal appearance, office attitude, social and business etiquette, and job-seeking skills).
Pros
close interaction with staff and ability to make changes to improve the job
Cons
limited advancement in current position
benefits
assesment managerent in water & wastewater (Former Employee) –  Woodridge, ILDecember 7, 2012
if you like being in the Army you enjoy this job.
people have no regards for their employees.
they do not follow their job descriptions.
they also build cases against people.
would they sit there and study situation.
do not really know the job. would consist of.
a lot of their equipment does not work properly.
how many times it cries wolf, and too much backstabbing.
Pros
soon they're good benefits will be gone too.
Cons
they have no regards toward illinois and federal labor relgated and put in jail.
Productive and worked well with coworkers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of multitasking by starting to collect an array of samples going in and out of the plant. The instruments all then had to be calibrated for the tests to be conducted. In between running these tests I would also collect the sludge hauler samples throughout the day and run the pH and percent solids on each sample. For the standard tests I also learned to test phosphorus, solids, fecal coliform, ammonia, and MLSS. It was also my responsibility to walk the 7+MGD plant and report back to my supervisor and contact the plant operators to make proper adjustments as needed. The hardest part and most fun part must have been the same thing, collecting samples in the snow or pouring rain. It made the crew feel like kids again.
Pros
running lab tests
Cons
short lunch breaks
Laid Back Environment
Customer Service/Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2015
You're on the phone and at a desk all day. Management is amazing. They really work with your schedule and personal needs.
Pros
paid lunches, good break schedule
Cons
healthcare could be better
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
Pros
great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons
understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
Productive and Fun
Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Belleville, IllinoisJanuary 12, 2014
-Provided project managers with information about internal company programs and software as well as annual budgeting information.
-Prepared and populated all monthly accounting templates with "actuals". Then relayed this information to project managers and all other essential personnel within the company.
-Assisted management with various projects, on demand, as dictated by direct manager.
Inbound Customer Service Call Center
Business Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 6, 2012
Continually changing work environment that is fun and rewarding. The company provides the opportunity to continually grow in a career path until retirement.
Pros
company provided life insurance, affordable health insurance.
Cons
working evenings, weekends and holidays.