American Water

American Water Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Individualized thinking
Employee (Current Employee), Alton, ILFebruary 27, 2013
American Water is a strong company with an excellent financial future. The department I am a part of is challenging with many self inflicted wounds. So many people are focused solely on their own responsibilities, that they leave very little flexibility, resources, or time to assist others. Often a project is become delayed because Party A was waiting – more... on information from Party B who was waiting to hear back from Party C who was needing data from Party A. Lack of solid communication and teamwork is the cause of many headaches. The people themselves are good with many of them capable of doing their own jobs, they just have blinders to the bigger picture and a hesitation to helping others. – less
State of the art computers
CALL HANDLING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Pensacola FloridaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: mandated overtime with short notice, no room for csr advancement.
Managed a team of 12 Customer Service Representatives by directing them to excel with their job performance and provide American Water customers with first class customer service. Everyday duties included maintaining that the team adheres to their schedules as it is strategic to the service level of the call center, maintain the team job performance – more... guidelines such as handle time, quality scores and service order accuracy. Bi- weekly payroll processing using JDE. Customer service escalations such as approving payment terms, and extensions upon assessment of customer’s credit and collection status.. Quality Monitoring Sessions and Feedback.
Team Meetings and Individual Feedback Sessions as needed. – less
The thing that gave me the most drive was the challenge of de-escalating a call and satisfying a customer desires with one call resolution..
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Alton, ILFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: we worked as a team.
Cons: being notified that you have been mandated to work overtime at the end of your shift.
My job consisted of multitasking. I mainly talked on the phone in the Help Que to assist Customer Service Representatives with systems knowledge, tips on de-escalating a call, assistance of research of company data base for services provided. I handled escalated/supervisor calls. I denied/approved customer faxes for new water service, if there has been – more... previous bad debt at their property. Our department was a team. We had weekly team meetings to share updates to system and procedures. The customer call center management has turned over several times, which leaves it unstable and untrustworthy. I would like to see more loyalty from the company. KPI's (key production indicators) were set high and most time were based on personal judgement. – less
Its was not fufilling you work overtime alot.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: good money
Cons: stupid overtime and stupid location
When you have to work overtime, you hour lunch is now 30mins. Located in a sucky place if you have to go somewhere for lunch.
Self-motivating atmosphere with encouraging staff
Water Conservation Intern (Former Employee), Newbury Park, CAJanuary 13, 2013
Pros: occasional free lunches, breakfast, snack, etc.
Cons: lack of useful software programs
A typical day at work was not typical. It varied and the main thing I learned was water policy, implementation, water distribution, water rates, water infrastructure, handling local water waste issues, working with outside consultants, exchanging knowledge with colleagues on programs, etc.
The Hardest part about the job is writing the long reports after – more... property inspection surveys are completed in the field. There are also limited resources so it's important to get creative with what is available. The people I worked with where very team oriented which created a good balance.
The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have been able to help the general public as well as business owners and the overall community. Also, seeing your efforts throughout the community is a rewarding feeling. – less
Customer Service Call Center
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 3, 2013
Handle customer inquiries for largest water utility in the U.S.
Overall wonderful
Customer service representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: wonderful staff, and atmosphere
Cons: strict union rules, seniority was set by a random number not by performance.
I Loved working for American water, I did not however like the union and the unions policy, led to a lot of people getting fired.
summer work
Summer Associate (Former Employee), Delran, NJDecember 7, 2012
easy money for a summer college student had fun got to know more about the business
benefits
assesment managerent in water & wastewater (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILDecember 7, 2012
Pros: soon they're good benefits will be gone too.
Cons: they have no regards toward illinois and federal labor relgated and put in jail.
if you like being in the Army you enjoy this job.
people have no regards for their employees.
they do not follow their job descriptions.
they also build cases against people.
would they sit there and study situation.
do not really know the job. would consist of.
a lot of their equipment does not work properly.
how many times it cries wolf, and too much – more... backstabbing. – less
benefits
Pros: soon they're good benefits will be gone too.
if you like being in the Army you enjoy this job.
people have no regards for their employees.
they do not follow their job descriptions.
they also build cases against people.
would they sit there and study situation.
do not really know the job. would consist of.
a lot of their equipment does not work properly.
how many times it cries wolf, and too much – more... backstabbing. – less
A productive, friendly work environment
Accountant (Current Employee), Cherry HillNovember 20, 2012
Pros: healthcare
Cons: hours
There have been numerous learning opportunities for me at American Water. I have gained knowledge and skill far beyond my expectations. It is nice to like your job, but the enjoy your coworkers is always an added bonus.
Inbound Customer Service Call Center
Business Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Alton, ILNovember 6, 2012
Pros: company provided life insurance, affordable health insurance.
Cons: working evenings, weekends and holidays.
Continually changing work environment that is fun and rewarding. The company provides the opportunity to continually grow in a career path until retirement.
Great team work
Team Supervisor (Current Employee), FLOctober 22, 2012
Pros: close interaction with staff and ability to make changes to improve the job
Cons: limited advancement in current position
Maintain reports of personnel, costs, productivity; supervise and train correspondence specialists; maintain office procedures; assist in personnel development; and coordinate work requirements. Areas of competency in human relations and personal development are included (communication, self-development, personal appearance, office attitude, social – more... and business etiquette, and job-seeking skills). – less
Interesting job with no two days exactly alike
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Alton, ILOctober 17, 2012
My job involved doing many tasks at the same time, making prioritization imperative. However, it was fun because you never knew what the next task would be. That was the fun part: taking the next project and hitting it out of the park.
A great economy booster
Consultant (Former Employee), Delran, NJOctober 17, 2012
Pros: money
Cons: desk job
American water focuses on water. I would schedule water meeter readings. I sat at a desk and spoke to people and set up appointments.
Good place to work, but some of the managers are not fair.
HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJSeptember 20, 2012
Great benefits and some good people. Union population, very strategic.
Great Work Place and Great Advancement
Staff (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: team environment, learned opportunities, advancement, fair wage and benefits, very professional corporate support
Cons: short-term contract (we knew at the interview this consideration), difficult client at times
I had to come on with some positive about American Water.

When I started here 6 years ago, it was a field position and was very supported by HR, executive team and operations management. Problems with taking over ops of two plants were always seen as "what can we do to resolve" and never a finger pointing exercise. We were very proactive in addressing – more... problems and worked very hard as a team to serve our client.

The group that came together were very skilled and everyone pulled their weight to get the job done. Some long hours and full days but mostly just rewarding work and compensated fairly. I was given opportunities to advance and took some and declined others.

The hardest part of the job is that we do provide a service 24 hours a day. Nights, weekends and OT are part of the job but not excessive. Really enjoyed the team that worked together and learned a lot about professional operations and customer service. We were recognized for safety and operational achievements. We did the job and the company made sure we knew they appreciated it.

I was glad I relocated my family and moved to this position and would do it again in a heart beat. If I had issues, I could raise them up to supervisor or above and they were resolved or explained. – less
"STAY AWAY AND STAY OUT - PLEASE...." HR CANNOT BE TRUSTED
Not Available (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: all the worst unethical business practices reside at this company
Working here was a horrid experience almost from day one. If management sees you as a outcast you will be treated like an outcast. Employees have to fight for their job and management is both unethical, callous, and cruel. If you report that your supervisor did something REALLY REALLY BAD HR will stand behind them, make you believe that they (HR) is – more... on your side, get you to say everything you can to them and then finally fire you for reporting EXTREMELY UNETHICAL misconduct by a supervisor. Being an honest person and in good faith is not welcome here even if it harms the business.

Management follows the MICRO-MANAGEMENT way of managing employees
MINORITIES SUFFER SEVERELY
There is no such thing as diversity here. If you are a bit different, you will be treated badly
Many times I would go into work and be terrified that I would be yelled at for doing the least bit of something wrong.
Employees are left fending for themselves and management will always think they are right and won't even listen to the competent employees
No growth potential
Nothing to learn, you will have to learn everything on your own.
HIGH MORAL VALUES ARE NOT WELCOME HERE VERY UNETHICAL
NO JOB SECURITY
WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS PATHETIC
Compensation is not good and the benefits will mean more doctor appointments from working here........!!!!
I beg you to think twice before applying for a job here EVER IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR WORK. – less
"Very bad company to work for "..please keep it out. Never join it.
Not declared (Current Employee), Not declaredJuly 30, 2012
Pros: none.
Cons: all the world's bad practices here
Very bad management.
No growth opportunities.
Nothing to learn,very bad coworkers.
Diversity is a big talk but minorities are in bad shape.
Great place to work and very challenging
Customer Relations FRCC Coordinator (Current Employee), Lexington, KYJune 27, 2012
Responsible for assigning work to area FSRs. This includes scheduled orders and orders dealing with non-payments and non-revenue water focusing on completing orders before expiration date. Worked with local offices on special projects such as meter changes and water quality samples. Attended several workshops to improve my skills. Worked with Orcom – more... / ECIS in creating and modifying orders. Managers were good about communication and being involved. Hardest part was getting some of the FSRs to do more work. Most enjoyed the daily challenge. – less

About American Water

American Water Works Company, Inc. is United States water and wastewater utility company. The Company provides approximately 15.6 – Read more

American Water Photos