American Water Employee Reviews

Senior Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 6, 2015
Very busy, productive place to work. I was only a TEMP so I am unfamiliar with alot of their benefits and policies. There were many Temporary people who were let go along with 25% of there permanent staff
Too stressful
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 26, 2015
When I started working here it was a good place to work but over time it has become one of the worst places. We used to have contests all the time with great prizes, fun activities for employees and their families, the work environment was great. The morale is so low now that management has formed a special group just think of things that can be done to improve how people feel about coming here. At one point they were offering to pay everyone $1 more an hour for coming to work on Monday's and it still didn't improve attendance. Some people would rather work a 2nd part time job for minimum wage than work a few hours of overtime earning $15-$30 an hour. New employees are required to work way too much overtime. They need to hire more people but won't. You're taking back to back phone calls all day, customers are allowed to speak to you any way they want. All management says is "Don't take it personal, they're mad at the company not you" or "Well you don't know what kind of day someone's had. They're not really mad at you, they're just frustrated". I've worked here over 5 years and almost every supervisor that worked here in the call center has either quit or moved to another position as soon as they could. Most of the supervisors that are here now can't stand their job and are looking for a new job too. I've only stayed here this long because I have kids and my job is close to home, my work hours are convenient for my family, the benefits are good. The pay is good for the area I live in but the stress level and expectations that upper management places on customer service  more... is ridiculous. There's no consistency. We receive emails daily regarding changes that have been implemented due to the previous way not working the way they thought it would. We take calls for multiple states, each with their own regulations for how we operate. We're required to remember all of the information or know where to find the information in a system that does not work properly. Due to the number of calls we receive other departments that have their work to do are required to take phone calls as well making them fall behind in their own work. There aren't any opportunities for advancement or to just move to another department. A lot of my co-workers are seeing therapists just because of this job, a lot of people are on FMLA or try to take leave for any reason just to get a break from here. Hopefully they'll realize they need to hire more people, start treating employees fairly and realize it what they are requiring us to do is not healthy.  less
Pros
pay, paid vacation/personal/sick time
Cons
low morale, inconsistent, stressfull
Working for this company was productive and a fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 9, 2015
I had the opportunity to grow within the company and learned a lot of new things about water and it's culture. It was a pleasure to assist customers with billing, emails, faxes, or creating service orders upon customer's request.
Good workplace.
driver/meter reader (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILJune 23, 2015
Enjoyed working there and would do it again. The other employees are great. This was a learning experience for me. I learned alot working here.
Under paid over worked
Operator II (Current Employee) –  San AntonioJune 8, 2015
Very good company problem is the average pay for a Waste water operator in San Antonio is 40k @ entry level,don't expect that.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay
Fast paced
AWE (Current Employee) –  AWEMay 15, 2015
Leaders genuinely care bout their employees. Limited opportunities for advancement but a pleasurable work environment, if you like stress.
Great Benefits, no diversity in management
Business Transformation (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJMay 10, 2015
No advancement for minorities. Too much of family members or friends of management getting jobs over more qualified individuals.
Great place to spend a career
Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMay 4, 2015
Many great benefits for employees. I am loving my new job. Lots of opportunities also. Many positions are virtual meaning you can work in any office in the company.
Pros
Opportunities
Difficult environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJApril 13, 2015
Mass reorganization and layoffs. No strategy in place or followed. Poor management decisions with resources. Culture breeds insecurity and lack of trust.
Pros
nice people
Cons
poor management
Low Morale, prison like environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMarch 19, 2015
The work is at times overwhelming, the pay is mediocre. The overall environment is depressing. Stress is high and there is no room for advancement.
Pros
you receive a check
Cons
stressful, underpaid, under appreciated, no room to advance
Good work environment with opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  St.charlesMarch 1, 2015
During my time in this role I have been able to build effective professional relationships with co-workers. I have had the opportunity to improve my verbal and written communication
American Water
Statewide Inspector (Current Employee) –  The State of CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2015
I oversee all capital improvement projects in the state of California, I travel weekly insuring all projects stat within the budget and on time, I work together with State, County, City agencies,
Laid Back Environment
Customer Service/Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2015
You're on the phone and at a desk all day. Management is amazing. They really work with your schedule and personal needs.
Pros
paid lunches, good break schedule
Cons
healthcare could be better
Productive and worked well with coworkers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of multitasking by starting to collect an array of samples going in and out of the plant. The instruments all then had to be calibrated for the tests to be conducted. In between running these tests I would also collect the sludge hauler samples throughout the day and run the pH and percent solids on each sample. For the standard tests I also learned to test phosphorus, solids, fecal coliform, ammonia, and MLSS. It was also my responsibility to walk the 7+MGD plant and report back to my supervisor and contact the plant operators to make proper adjustments as needed. The hardest part and most fun part must have been the same thing, collecting samples in the snow or pouring rain. It made the crew feel like kids again.
Pros
running lab tests
Cons
short lunch breaks
Like my job but the company and morale is in rapid decline
Production Mechanic (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 16, 2015
Structure of the company is horribly top heavy. Work load on everyone is unrealistic and causing employees to be stressed and things to fall through the cracks. They expect more and more out of the workers while whittling away at benefits and giving minimal raises. That being said I'm not sure if management is incompetent or just overworked and unable to do their jobs properly. When I started less than 10 years ago people had pride in working for this company, now they're trying to leave as soon as they can. The only positive things I can say are, some positions have a decent rate of pay and the frontline people are generally good, hardworking people that I have enjoyed knowing.
Pros
some of the positions have decent pay
Cons
overworked, underappreciated, and incompetent management
Leadership challenges: unprincipled, undisciplined, unclear direction
HR (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJDecember 31, 2014
This company has great benefits, and could be amazing, but the leadership has trouble walking the talk. Many supervisors and middle managers do their best, but are undermined by the folks at the top. Lots of caring employees who take pride in their work. Lots of politics, greed and incompetence at the top. Systemic issues not addressed; leaders who don't want to lead by example. Almost made real progress when The Leadership Challenge workshops were introduced, but the support for this effort was later removed.
Pros
benefits excellent
Cons
leadership problems, shifting/unclear strategy, politics, struggling culture
SAP implementation has become all consuming
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2014
Variety of duties. Great coworkers. Lots going on. Recent SAP implementation seems to have 'taken over' most of the attention of IT. Hopefully, this will settle out in time and allow focus to shift on other IT projects.

Wished I could have stayed longer to gain some SAP experience to be able to contribute to the team.
Pros
coworkers, work from home no problem
Cons
sap implementation is demanding a specific skill set
A place to work.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 11, 2014
The building landlord was thorough when the grass needed to be cut or the snow needed to be shoveled.
Pros
close to public transportation. free lunch once a month.
Very nice,productive, friendly work place
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJNovember 7, 2014
I am a contractor at American Water and must say its a very nice laid back friendly work enviroment. Team work co-workers are very nice. A little un organize at time, but over all a nice place to work.
We provide customers with safe and clean water
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJOctober 6, 2014
We serve an estimated 14 million people in more than 40 states and parts of Canada.
Pros
telecommuting offered, flex time, company sponsored events, flexible schedule, no micromanagement