American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
State of the art computers
CALL HANDLING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Pensacola FloridaFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: mandated overtime with short notice, no room for csr advancement.
Managed a team of 12 Customer Service Representatives by directing them to excel with their job performance and provide American Water customers with first class customer service. Everyday duties included maintaining that the team adheres to their schedules as it is strategic to the service level of the call center, maintain the team job performance guidelines such as handle time, quality scores and service order accuracy. Bi- weekly payroll processing using JDE. Customer service escalations such as approving payment terms, and extensions upon assessment of customer’s credit and collection status.. Quality Monitoring Sessions and Feedback.
Team Meetings and Individual Feedback Sessions as needed.
Great Benefits, bad management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLNovember 19, 2013
Pros: good benefits hour lunch
Benefits are awesome. However, you are on a 90 day rotation when it comes to the schedule. You could have a 2-11 shift one day which could allow you to got to school in the day time but then you may end up with a schedule that is 12-8 because the other shifts ran out. Additionally, you are mandated to take OT. 2 hours and most times this is every day. The OT is either 2 hours before your shift or 2 hours after your shift. If you work a mid day schedule it will be 1 hour before and 1 hour after. This type of workplace was really not conducive to my lifestyle. However, when I was single and did not have a child and wasn't in school, it was only a minor inconvenience for me to change my schedule.
Great opportunity for challenging customer service.
Call Handler (Former Employee), Alton, ILApril 15, 2012
Pros: pays well and has excellent benefits
Cons: statistic based management, over rides good customer service.
Answering phones for 20 States for a Utility Company is a challenge since each State has it's own governing laws. Many process changes can occur in a year which can hinder the statistics required by each call handler. The hardest part was getting your average call time down to 5 minutes and 30 seconds. We set up new accounts, take payments, schedule services, update account information, answer customer inquiries about billing and services, final accounts and document each call with extra phone numbers and if they want to sign up for Auto Pay. Not being allowed to hang up on a customer also added to the call time challenge since we could be placed on hold by a customer, while our clock is still ticking. The most enjoyable part was the "Food Days" when our team could pot luck a lunch. Co-Workers in the call center are all customer service professionals and they make great friends for life.
Fun Place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Alton, ILSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Great Management
Cons: Rotating shifts
It was a great place to work with awesome supervisors. Its a no nonsense job with great opportunities to advance. Always opportunities for overtime.
Challenging
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJSeptember 10, 2015
The amount of knowledge I gained in the project has taken me to the next level in my career. Very thankful for the exposure and the people across the world I was able to work with closely.
Nice laid work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Alton, ILNovember 5, 2015
This was an great place to work! Although it was a temp agency and they could only keep a certain amount of people I really enjoyed myself here.
Stable company to work for
Workforce Management Analyst (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: lacks constructive criticism and consistency
American Water is a good company to work for. They are the largest utility company in the country which makes for stability. Health Benefits and Salary were great.
Office politics were very disappointing as well as consistency.
benefits
assesment managerent in water & wastewater (Former Employee), Woodridge, ILDecember 7, 2012
Pros: soon they're good benefits will be gone too.
Cons: they have no regards toward illinois and federal labor relgated and put in jail.
if you like being in the Army you enjoy this job.
people have no regards for their employees.
they do not follow their job descriptions.
they also build cases against people.
would they sit there and study situation.
do not really know the job. would consist of.
a lot of their equipment does not work properly.
how many times it cries wolf, and too much backstabbing.
Great Teamwork
Accountant (Former Employee), Cherry Hill, NJOctober 9, 2015
Gave me exposure to working within a n large utility organization. Assisted with the customer needs and identifying areas of concern
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons: understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
Productive Call Center
Customer Service Rep/Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: benefits
American Water is a good call center to work for. They have great customer service representatives. It can be a stressful job but the management goes out their way to help make it better.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), pensacola, flMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits and overtime
Cons: mandatory overtime and culture
Answered phone calls all day. Took payments over the phone, answered questions, enrolled (water) service for customers, cancelled service. Management is more concerned about time on the phone than quality of customer service you provide.
Working for this company was productive and a fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Alton, ILJuly 9, 2015
I had the opportunity to grow within the company and learned a lot of new things about water and it's culture. It was a pleasure to assist customers with billing, emails, faxes, or creating service orders upon customer's request.
Great Benefits, no diversity in management
Business Transformation (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJMay 10, 2015
No advancement for minorities. Too much of family members or friends of management getting jobs over more qualified individuals.
Great Work Place and Great Advancement
Staff (Current Employee), Fort Bragg, NCSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: team environment, learned opportunities, advancement, fair wage and benefits, very professional corporate support
Cons: short-term contract (we knew at the interview this consideration), difficult client at times
I had to come on with some positive about American Water.

When I started here 6 years ago, it was a field position and was very supported by HR, executive team and operations management. Problems with taking over ops of two plants were always seen as "what can we do to resolve" and never a finger pointing exercise. We were very proactive in addressing problems and worked very hard as a team to serve our client.

The group that came together were very skilled and everyone pulled their weight to get the job done. Some long hours and full days but mostly just rewarding work and compensated fairly. I was given opportunities to advance and took some and declined others.

The hardest part of the job is that we do provide a service 24 hours a day. Nights, weekends and OT are part of the job but not excessive. Really enjoyed the team that worked together and learned a lot about professional operations and customer service. We were recognized for safety and operational achievements. We did the job and the company made sure we knew they appreciated it.

I was glad I relocated my family and moved to this position and would do it again in a heart beat. If I had issues, I could raise them up to supervisor or above and they were resolved or explained.
"STAY AWAY AND STAY OUT - PLEASE...." HR CANNOT BE TRUSTED
Not Available (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2012
Pros: absolutely nothing
Cons: all the worst unethical business practices reside at this company
Working here was a horrid experience almost from day one. If management sees you as a outcast you will be treated like an outcast. Employees have to fight for their job and management is both unethical, callous, and cruel. If you report that your supervisor did something REALLY REALLY BAD HR will stand behind them, make you believe that they (HR) is on your side, get you to say everything you can to them and then finally fire you for reporting EXTREMELY UNETHICAL misconduct by a supervisor. Being an honest person and in good faith is not welcome here even if it harms the business.

Management follows the MICRO-MANAGEMENT way of managing employees
MINORITIES SUFFER SEVERELY
There is no such thing as diversity here. If you are a bit different, you will be treated badly
Many times I would go into work and be terrified that I would be yelled at for doing the least bit of something wrong.
Employees are left fending for themselves and management will always think they are right and won't even listen to the competent employees
No growth potential
Nothing to learn, you will have to learn everything on your own.
HIGH MORAL VALUES ARE NOT WELCOME HERE VERY UNETHICAL
NO JOB SECURITY
WORK/LIFE BALANCE IS PATHETIC
Compensation is not good and the benefits will mean more doctor appointments from working here........!!!!
I beg you to think twice before applying for a job here EVER IF YOU ARE DESPERATE FOR WORK.
Staying until something better comes along
Call Handling Supervisor (Current Employee), ILFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: union run, good benefits
Cons: mangement is unprofessional, low pay
Leadership is unprofessional; and will not practice what they preach. Benefits are good but I began looking for another position not long after I began. Pay is good for Reps beacuse it's a union shop .
Great Benefits..Management is not diverse racially
Analyst (Current Employee), Voorhees, NJDecember 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: no diversity
Good company but not enough minorites in prominent roles. needs to work on diversity issues.
Very Busy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: insurance benefits
Cons: no family life
Nothing Positive to say...Company is not family friendly and has a lack of morale within the company...Employee's are disgusted with the way they are treated.
Not a good place to work
CAPITAL PROGRAMS ADMINISTRATOR (Financial Analyst) (Former Employee), sacramento, caJune 21, 2012
This company does not care one bit about its employees. Management always implies or out-right states your job is on the line to get you to work OT for nothing, and run scared. It is run by politics rather than by good work. Gossip runs rampant and rumors by couch advancement for women run wild. They talk a good talk, but run the business in opposite manner. I am not a disgruntled employee. This is the honest truth. Actual employees complained to their hot line about the engineering manager. HR spent copious time to discover who those employees were, then found ways to have them all fired, because the manager is liked by the president and rumors were abound by the two having an affair. This company encourages you to talk to management, but then when you do, they will find a way to fire you. They tell you what you can and cannot do during lunch, which is illegal. There is much that is highly unethical. People are leaving in droves as soon as better comes along. Really sad place
Employees