American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
No Clue Management
Senior Accountant/Lead (Former Employee), New JerseyAugust 7, 2014
Pros: competitive salary, pretzel wednesday lol, some great people
Cons: management, advancement, moral, culture, and performance review process
Culture is terrible. Employees are not valued or promoted from within. T'he mindset is that external candidates possess skills that they don't want to invest in for existing employees. What ends of happening is that the skills they desire are either unreasonable or don't meet the salary expectations of the person who possesses them. Management is predominantly CPAs which have no clue about leadership, organizational development or the other basic components most MBAs possess. No one is trying to be mentors to help you advance you have to find those on your own outside of the company. If you are looking for advancement this is not the place. Too many levels in place to make it hard to reach the top and they are heavy on credentials which you won't use.
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons: understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
A suitable company in which the compensation outweighs the daily stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
Pros: 7th day pay
Cons: certain supervisor bend rules
A typical day can easily start off smooth however end up rough after dealing customer who thinks "I" myself was the enemy because their utility service was shut off for non payment over 6 months. All in all the supervisors were very helpful and easy to get along with and there was always a way to make more money.
Caring company that supports their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMay 20, 2014
Pros: fabulous break area, perks with qa scoring, earning points for goodies.
Cons: work area was cold but we knew that was because of the number of computers in the building.
After working for a little over 5 yrs for AM Water, I feel like when I left, I lost part of a family. The management was always there for the employees. They not only supported us but there were perks, like pod parties monthly, recognition for special accomplishments like when someone one had a baby or got married. I learned that a company can be the boss and family in one.
My co-workers were fabulous and we worked as a team. Even the second call center in IL was considered part of the team.
The hardest part of the job was when a natural disaster occurred and not being able to do more for the customers. The field people were wonderful handling as much as they did.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that when your shift was over, you did the best you could and was proud of what you did.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMay 19, 2014
Responsible for, but not limited to, meeting quality and performance goals. Responsible for opening customer accounts, closing accounts and also issuing the correct service order when needed. Accepting payments when needed. Resolving problems by clarifying the customer complaint; determining the cause of the problem and selecting and explaining the best solution to resolve the problem.
Good company to work for.
Field Service Represantitive (Former Employee), Hillsborough, NJApril 13, 2014
Every day was a challenge I enjoyed. I liked working in the field as a
Field Service Rep.
California American Water - Don't even think about it!
Manager, Environmental Compliance (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 10, 2014
Pros: decent salary and benefits
Cons: not trustworthy, disloyal
California American Water management doesn't have any regard for its employees. The company preaches "maintaining the utmost integrity." However, as a former employee who was dedicated and worked many extra hours on my own time, I was totally blindsided when my position was "eliminated," without warning, "due to financial considerations." The truth was I was apparently not highly favored by the company's senior management because I was honest with them, even though I kept the company from getting into trouble with state regulators. Less than a year after eliminating my position, one of my previous direct reports was appointed to a newly created higher-level position, with a higher salary, that did essentially what I was doing. That move should clearly indicate the kind of company California American Water is. Do not work for them if you want job security. They cannot be trusted.
This company sucks
Meter Reader (Former Employee), ArizonaApril 6, 2014
Cons: management sucks code of ethics hotline is a joke
This company is unethical and has supervisor /employee relations that tend to fav those employees more the way to get good in this company is to kiss up to management on day one terrible company to work for
Very unstable for a Utility
Corporate Finance Manager (Current Employee), Hershey, PAApril 2, 2014
To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.
Fast-Paced, gratifying work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Pensacola, FlMarch 28, 2014
This position required me to take payments, change customer addresses, dispatch FSR's, and handle water quality issues.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), pensacola, flMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits and overtime
Cons: mandatory overtime and culture
Answered phone calls all day. Took payments over the phone, answered questions, enrolled (water) service for customers, cancelled service. Management is more concerned about time on the phone than quality of customer service you provide.
Terrible environment and very bad management.
Lead Operator (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDFebruary 26, 2014
Cons: they just suck
They do not support the employee at all. The safety is a joke. At Meade there was a chlorine leak and someone was gassed and this manager wanted to cover it up. It was not reported ,PPE was not issued for 3 months until the operator was gassed. They were using cartridges for the guys to repair one ton sulfur and chlorine cylinders. Then they went after anyone with knowledge to get year end bonus .I resigned before a serious accident could happen. The employee turn over is crazy, that is a real issue hitting them. Who wants to work for a company that tries to fire a good employee so they can save 3.00 an hour on a new hire? Wonder why the tank in WV was not contained in a berm? EPA regulation.
Well structured environment.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 12, 2014
Worked at American Water as a temporary employee. I am enjoying my time at American Water. My supervisors respected my knowledge of SAP and placed me accordingly. I learned the automated side of SAP. Most of the full time employees were helpful with additional training. Supervisors were very helpful when needed. It was a temporary position, which is the hard part, you're a part of the group getting the job done, but you're apart from everyone else. The best part was that I know exactly what my job was and I was able to come in everyday, and do it with out constantly being instructed.
Staying until something better comes along
Call Handling Supervisor (Current Employee), ILFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: union run, good benefits
Cons: mangement is unprofessional, low pay
Leadership is unprofessional; and will not practice what they preach. Benefits are good but I began looking for another position not long after I began. Pay is good for Reps beacuse it's a union shop .
Senior Mailroom Coordinator
Senior Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee), Cherry Hill NJFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great management team
Worked in American Water Mailroom for twelve years.
Opened and sorted mail for the Shared Service Center daily.
Learned to work in Corporate environment.
Last five years at American Water trained and guided two
other employees in all areas of mailroom operations.
Productive and Fun
Cost Accountant (Current Employee), Belleville, IllinoisJanuary 12, 2014
-Provided project managers with information about internal company programs and software as well as annual budgeting information.
-Prepared and populated all monthly accounting templates with "actuals". Then relayed this information to project managers and all other essential personnel within the company.
-Assisted management with various projects, on demand, as dictated by direct manager.
It was a fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: nice clean work environment
Cons: mandatory overtime at the last minute
A typical day at American Water consisted of one taking up to 100 calls per day answering billing questions, status on service order or follow-up requests, taking payments, processing off/on orders, issuing service orders, and creating water quality reports. I learned a lot about how water meters are read, what they look like, and how to conserve water to keep your water bill within your means. The co-workers there were willing to help you if you had any questions. As a matter of fact, they are who we would ask questions before we took it to the supervisor. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer's who were never satisfied with any thing you said or did to make them happy. The happiest and most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers to get what they wanted and talking with some of the customers who were pleasant and understanding. I also liked the way American Water did nice gestures for their employees just to say thanks for our hard work!
Great Benefits..Management is not diverse racially
Analyst (Current Employee), Voorhees, NJDecember 12, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: no diversity
Good company but not enough minorites in prominent roles. needs to work on diversity issues.
Great work culture and friendly management
Data Entry Clerk/Contractor (Current Employee), Alton, ILDecember 4, 2013
Although this is a temporary contract position, I feel just as important as the permanent employees. The management is very friendly and caring.
Great Benefits, bad management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLNovember 19, 2013
Pros: good benefits hour lunch
Benefits are awesome. However, you are on a 90 day rotation when it comes to the schedule. You could have a 2-11 shift one day which could allow you to got to school in the day time but then you may end up with a schedule that is 12-8 because the other shifts ran out. Additionally, you are mandated to take OT. 2 hours and most times this is every day. The OT is either 2 hours before your shift or 2 hours after your shift. If you work a mid day schedule it will be 1 hour before and 1 hour after. This type of workplace was really not conducive to my lifestyle. However, when I was single and did not have a child and wasn't in school, it was only a minor inconvenience for me to change my schedule.

About American Water

American Water Works Company, Inc. is United States water and wastewater utility company. The Company provides approximately 15.6 – Read more

American Water Photos