American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

short staffed
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 15, 2016
The turn around is insane, back to back calls. Management is short staffed so getting help is difficult while trying to reach/maintain KPIs.
Purchased past employer. Fair treatment from all.
Safety Manager/OSC Specialist (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOAugust 19, 2015
Typically, I spen my days tracking 42 facilities' safety programs, training, and OSHA / OHSA (Ontario) standards compliance. Approx. 15% of time is involved with conducting Safety Peer Reviews at contract locations.

Learned a great deal about safety culture, and how it can be affected for the betterment of idividuals and the Company.

Co-workers have always worked within a team mentality.

Hardest part of the job is having to deal with employee injuries and their effects on work and family.

Most enjoyable part would have to be the spririt of commeradity that the organization displays at every turn. Basically I feel that doing something I love, with people that I like to work with, has been a real joy.

A collaborative safety culture is great when the right people and circumstances meet.
Nice laid work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 5, 2015
This was an great place to work! Although it was a temp agency and they could only keep a certain amount of people I really enjoyed myself here.
I was a Contractor
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed my surroundings, the work that I performed and the hours. Management gave me my assignment, who to report to and the training.
Pros
I was a contractor
Cons
I was a contractor
Day at work
SAP HR ABAP Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJOctober 30, 2015
It very friendly company with good work life balance.
I started here in Jan 2015 and since then there is a lot of enjoyment along with work.
Working for this company was productive and a fun experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 9, 2015
I had the opportunity to grow within the company and learned a lot of new things about water and it's culture. It was a pleasure to assist customers with billing, emails, faxes, or creating service orders upon customer's request.
Fun Place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILSeptember 16, 2015
It was a great place to work with awesome supervisors. Its a no nonsense job with great opportunities to advance. Always opportunities for overtime.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Rotating shifts
Challenging
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJSeptember 10, 2015
The amount of knowledge I gained in the project has taken me to the next level in my career. Very thankful for the exposure and the people across the world I was able to work with closely.
Great Teamwork
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJOctober 9, 2015
Gave me exposure to working within a n large utility organization. Assisted with the customer needs and identifying areas of concern
Senior Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 6, 2015
Very busy, productive place to work. I was only a TEMP so I am unfamiliar with alot of their benefits and policies. There were many Temporary people who were let go along with 25% of there permanent staff
Leadership challenges: unprincipled, undisciplined, unclear direction
HR (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJDecember 31, 2014
This company has great benefits, and could be amazing, but the leadership has trouble walking the talk. Many supervisors and middle managers do their best, but are undermined by the folks at the top. Lots of caring employees who take pride in their work. Lots of politics, greed and incompetence at the top. Systemic issues not addressed; leaders who don't want to lead by example. Almost made real progress when The Leadership Challenge workshops were introduced, but the support for this effort was later removed.
Pros
benefits excellent
Cons
leadership problems, shifting/unclear strategy, politics, struggling culture
Productive and worked well with coworkers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Coatesville, PAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day consisted of multitasking by starting to collect an array of samples going in and out of the plant. The instruments all then had to be calibrated for the tests to be conducted. In between running these tests I would also collect the sludge hauler samples throughout the day and run the pH and percent solids on each sample. For the standard tests I also learned to test phosphorus, solids, fecal coliform, ammonia, and MLSS. It was also my responsibility to walk the 7+MGD plant and report back to my supervisor and contact the plant operators to make proper adjustments as needed. The hardest part and most fun part must have been the same thing, collecting samples in the snow or pouring rain. It made the crew feel like kids again.
Pros
running lab tests
Cons
short lunch breaks
Like my job but the company and morale is in rapid decline
Production Mechanic (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 16, 2015
Structure of the company is horribly top heavy. Work load on everyone is unrealistic and causing employees to be stressed and things to fall through the cracks. They expect more and more out of the workers while whittling away at benefits and giving minimal raises. That being said I'm not sure if management is incompetent or just overworked and unable to do their jobs properly. When I started less than 10 years ago people had pride in working for this company, now they're trying to leave as soon as they can. The only positive things I can say are, some positions have a decent rate of pay and the frontline people are generally good, hardworking people that I have enjoyed knowing.
Pros
some of the positions have decent pay
Cons
overworked, underappreciated, and incompetent management
SAP implementation has become all consuming
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2014
Variety of duties. Great coworkers. Lots going on. Recent SAP implementation seems to have 'taken over' most of the attention of IT. Hopefully, this will settle out in time and allow focus to shift on other IT projects.

Wished I could have stayed longer to gain some SAP experience to be able to contribute to the team.
Pros
coworkers, work from home no problem
Cons
sap implementation is demanding a specific skill set
Overtime overload
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILSeptember 20, 2014
I am no stranger to work, and I don't mind being able to make a little extra money every now and then. However the amount of mandated over time as a newbie is a bit much. Actually more than a bit. Just don't work the nighshift. With that shift, you don't have a set time where you don't work so your sleep habits and your eating is shot. I feel my health failing...
Pros
pay is decent and the insurance is great!
Cons
overtime will kill you!
Very Productive
Specialty Desk Representative Level (Current Employee) –  Alton, IL 62002August 14, 2014
A typical day at American water for me is to deliver excellent Grade A customer service to each and every caller on the other end of the phone line. No matter what the situation or circumstance may be. On a daily basis I deliver perdenant productive information to each caller. It's never what you say it's how you say it. In addition to customer service, all guidelines and utility regulations must be obtained, remembered, and demonstrated infinitely.
Pros
education of the business and descriptions of work
Cons
american water is in the process of completing a lay off.
Low Morale, prison like environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILMarch 19, 2015
The work is at times overwhelming, the pay is mediocre. The overall environment is depressing. Stress is high and there is no room for advancement.
Pros
you receive a check
Cons
stressful, underpaid, under appreciated, no room to advance
A suitable company in which the compensation outweighs the daily stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
A typical day can easily start off smooth however end up rough after dealing customer who thinks "I" myself was the enemy because their utility service was shut off for non payment over 6 months. All in all the supervisors were very helpful and easy to get along with and there was always a way to make more money.
Pros
7th day pay
Cons
certain supervisor bend rules
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 19, 2014
Responsible for, but not limited to, meeting quality and performance goals. Responsible for opening customer accounts, closing accounts and also issuing the correct service order when needed. Accepting payments when needed. Resolving problems by clarifying the customer complaint; determining the cause of the problem and selecting and explaining the best solution to resolve the problem.
Well structured environment.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 12, 2014
Worked at American Water as a temporary employee. I am enjoying my time at American Water. My supervisors respected my knowledge of SAP and placed me accordingly. I learned the automated side of SAP. Most of the full time employees were helpful with additional training. Supervisors were very helpful when needed. It was a temporary position, which is the hard part, you're a part of the group getting the job done, but you're apart from everyone else. The best part was that I know exactly what my job was and I was able to come in everyday, and do it with out constantly being instructed.