American Water Employee Reviews

The company is a nice place to work Although the management lack in leadership
Senior Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 19, 2016
A typical day at work is to answer call. process payroll, handle payroll issues, process time entry and set up uinon dues for over 70 different unions. and record relocations, stock options, garnishments, uploads of all expense statments, imputed income for mileage and stocks and union dues changes. Setting you W 4 and process the third party and taxes. The hardest part of the job is to have our employees understand the FLSA rate on over time and double. Our union employees really have a hard time understanding the calcuation. Now I have about 90% of the union employees that are starting to understand but about 10% is still struggling with the new way. The most enjoyable part is working with my co workers as a team.
benefits
Cons
re design of the department
american
call handler (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJune 6, 2016
here at American water Mondays are more busy days in the call center very easy work, I love he environment this is a great part time job
Fast passed, too much change at one time
Configurator/Tester/Training Support (Payroll) (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 18, 2016
While working to build their ERP system, there were long days and no work life balance. This led to health issue for me. I had to chose between my health and my career.
Pros
Great learning experiance
Cons
No work life balance
Nice place to work
SAP Security & GRC Consultant (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJApril 15, 2016
Good place to work. It has office in Cherry hill, NJ
Diverse work force. Good people.
Focus on IT build up. Have has offices at other locations.
Intern Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJApril 5, 2016
Helped organize water usage data for counties in New Jersey and Pennsylvania
Organized Comprehensive Planning Studies (CPS) to evaluate the condition of water systems
Fun and Productive Work
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJMarch 21, 2016
40 hour, all outside, summer work GPSing water assets for the GIS technicians and annalists. Helped make maps using ArcMap.
Great team work.
HR/Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 19, 2016
Co-workers from all around the USA always dependable and willing to work hard at resolving any issues.

Upper management not consistent
Pros
Benefits Great co workers
Cons
no job security
A concise working enviroment. Attention to customer request and the service needed to satisfy their customers.
Customer Service-Call Center (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2016
The job was about 24/7 customer service, call center work, three shifts. As the main water utility service for the region they must operate with specific standards and within state regulations. They had a 6 week training period that I was a part of. through which they covered all the intricacies of their operation as a major utility. The managers were well involved in showing you what they do and what you would be required to do. Fellow job seekers who came in with me were all pleasant and willing people looking to go to work and earn a good living. The hardest part of the job was so much knowledge to adapt to...huge reams of 2 inch folders. The thing you had to become good at was knowing what folder to research in order to help the customer.
Pros
Flexible shift work. Comfortable call center/building. Great tech support.
Cons
Training was somewhat off, their traning didn't come over well, they only used 2 trainers for a class size of 21 new trainees, they could improve that ratio, give new people a better chance to learn, they have a high turn over ratio, of the 21 people that started with maybe they reatained 4 or 5 for permanant work.
short staffed
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 15, 2016
The turn around is insane, back to back calls. Management is short staffed so getting help is difficult while trying to reach/maintain KPIs.
American Water
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 28, 2015
Customer Service Representative; responsible for assisting customers with water connection or termination of water service. Typically handled 100 service calls within an eight-hour work shift. These service calls consist of connection, disconnection of water service, billing inquiries, and emergency water service. Responsible for negotiating payment plans with customers for water service to be continued or reconnected. Responsible for collecting almost $500,000 in water service debt in one year. Followed the Pennsylvania State guidelines in negotiating payments from our customers ensuring proper procedures were followed as required
Horrible Work Life Balance
Call Handling Rep II (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILDecember 16, 2015
They forced mandatory overtime at the call center. They pressure you to have a low call time but it is impossible when they implemented a system that does not work. Complaints about the system have went unheard for two years.
Nice laid work place.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILNovember 5, 2015
This was an great place to work! Although it was a temp agency and they could only keep a certain amount of people I really enjoyed myself here.
General Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ALNovember 5, 2015
I took this position and was not ever given the actual employees issues, this company has taken a very bad stance on not reviewing complaints and will get rid of Management in a second, will not contact any others involved and will try and protect themselves
horrible managment
equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 3, 2015
great career if you are in the click. this may be only in wv don't know. minorities are over looked.. the jobs are wonderful but management will find a way to make your job so stressfull you want to quit but the money helps you put up with the bs. you are just a number there is nomore job family those days are gone but if you can be agood boy or girl or you are family you will have it made. overall its a great place to work but you will give most of your time to your job when forced to work
Pros
money benafits co wrkers
Cons
watch your back no concern for family
Day at work
SAP HR ABAP Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJOctober 30, 2015
It very friendly company with good work life balance.
I started here in Jan 2015 and since then there is a lot of enjoyment along with work.
I was a Contractor
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed my surroundings, the work that I performed and the hours. Management gave me my assignment, who to report to and the training.
Pros
I was a contractor
Cons
I was a contractor
Great Teamwork
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJOctober 9, 2015
Gave me exposure to working within a n large utility organization. Assisted with the customer needs and identifying areas of concern
Fun Place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILSeptember 16, 2015
It was a great place to work with awesome supervisors. Its a no nonsense job with great opportunities to advance. Always opportunities for overtime.
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Rotating shifts
Challenging
Subject Matter Expert (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJSeptember 10, 2015
The amount of knowledge I gained in the project has taken me to the next level in my career. Very thankful for the exposure and the people across the world I was able to work with closely.
Purchased past employer. Fair treatment from all.
Safety Manager/OSC Specialist (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOAugust 19, 2015
Typically, I spen my days tracking 42 facilities' safety programs, training, and OSHA / OHSA (Ontario) standards compliance. Approx. 15% of time is involved with conducting Safety Peer Reviews at contract locations.

Learned a great deal about safety culture, and how it can be affected for the betterment of idividuals and the Company.

Co-workers have always worked within a team mentality.

Hardest part of the job is having to deal with employee injuries and their effects on work and family.

Most enjoyable part would have to be the spririt of commeradity that the organization displays at every turn. Basically I feel that doing something I love, with people that I like to work with, has been a real joy.

A collaborative safety culture is great when the right people and circumstances meet.