American Water

American Water Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Benefits, no diversity in management
Business Transformation (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJMay 10, 2015
No advancement for minorities. Too much of family members or friends of management getting jobs over more qualified individuals.
Great place to spend a career
Billing Analyst (Current Employee), Alton, ILMay 4, 2015
Pros: Opportunities
Cons: none
Many great benefits for employees. I am loving my new job. Lots of opportunities also. Many positions are virtual meaning you can work in any office in the company.
Difficult environment
Manager (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJApril 13, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: poor management
Mass reorganization and layoffs. No strategy in place or followed. Poor management decisions with resources. Culture breeds insecurity and lack of trust.
Low Morale, prison like environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Alton, ILMarch 19, 2015
Pros: you receive a check
Cons: stressful, underpaid, under appreciated, no room to advance
The work is at times overwhelming, the pay is mediocre. The overall environment is depressing. Stress is high and there is no room for advancement.
Good work environment with opportunity for advancement
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee), St.charlesMarch 1, 2015
During my time in this role I have been able to build effective professional relationships with co-workers. I have had the opportunity to improve my verbal and written communication
American Water
Statewide Inspector (Current Employee), The State of CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2015
I oversee all capital improvement projects in the state of California, I travel weekly insuring all projects stat within the budget and on time, I work together with State, County, City agencies,
Always Something Different!!!!
Military Services \ Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Fort Hood, TexasFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: safety is a way of life here!!!
Cons: dealing with the government at times.
I manage 10 guys in repairing and maintaning the Water & Wastewater System. Which includes Main Cantonment, West Fort Hood, BLORA & North Fort Hood (Gatesville).
Laid Back Environment
Customer Service/Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: paid lunches, good break schedule
Cons: healthcare could be better
You're on the phone and at a desk all day. Management is amazing. They really work with your schedule and personal needs.
Productive and worked well with coworkers.
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Coatesville, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: running lab tests
Cons: short lunch breaks
A typical day consisted of multitasking by starting to collect an array of samples going in and out of the plant. The instruments all then had to be calibrated for the tests to be conducted. In between running these tests I would also collect the sludge hauler samples throughout the day and run the pH and percent solids on each sample. For the standard tests I also learned to test phosphorus, solids, fecal coliform, ammonia, and MLSS. It was also my responsibility to walk the 7+MGD plant and report back to my supervisor and contact the plant operators to make proper adjustments as needed. The hardest part and most fun part must have been the same thing, collecting samples in the snow or pouring rain. It made the crew feel like kids again.
Like my job but the company and morale is in rapid decline
Production Mechanic (Current Employee), NJJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: some of the positions have decent pay
Cons: overworked, underappreciated, and incompetent management
Structure of the company is horribly top heavy. Work load on everyone is unrealistic and causing employees to be stressed and things to fall through the cracks. They expect more and more out of the workers while whittling away at benefits and giving minimal raises. That being said I'm not sure if management is incompetent or just overworked and unable to do their jobs properly. When I started less than 10 years ago people had pride in working for this company, now they're trying to leave as soon as they can. The only positive things I can say are, some positions have a decent rate of pay and the frontline people are generally good, hardworking people that I have enjoyed knowing.
Leadership challenges: unprincipled, undisciplined, unclear direction
HR (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJDecember 31, 2014
Pros: benefits excellent
Cons: leadership problems, shifting/unclear strategy, politics, struggling culture
This company has great benefits, and could be amazing, but the leadership has trouble walking the talk. Many supervisors and middle managers do their best, but are undermined by the folks at the top. Lots of caring employees who take pride in their work. Lots of politics, greed and incompetence at the top. Systemic issues not addressed; leaders who don't want to lead by example. Almost made real progress when The Leadership Challenge workshops were introduced, but the support for this effort was later removed.
SAP implementation has become all consuming
Enterprise Architect (Current Employee), Voorhees, NJNovember 21, 2014
Pros: coworkers, work from home no problem
Cons: sap implementation is demanding a specific skill set
Variety of duties. Great coworkers. Lots going on. Recent SAP implementation seems to have 'taken over' most of the attention of IT. Hopefully, this will settle out in time and allow focus to shift on other IT projects.

Wished I could have stayed longer to gain some SAP experience to be able to contribute to the team.
A place to work.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Cherry Hill, NJNovember 11, 2014
Pros: close to public transportation. free lunch once a month.
The building landlord was thorough when the grass needed to be cut or the snow needed to be shoveled.
Very nice,productive, friendly work place
Payroll Specialist (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJNovember 7, 2014
I am a contractor at American Water and must say its a very nice laid back friendly work enviroment. Team work co-workers are very nice. A little un organize at time, but over all a nice place to work.
We provide customers with safe and clean water
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee), Voorhees, NJOctober 6, 2014
Pros: telecommuting offered, flex time, company sponsored events, flexible schedule, no micromanagement
We serve an estimated 14 million people in more than 40 states and parts of Canada.
Overtime overload
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Alton, ILSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: pay is decent and the insurance is great!
Cons: overtime will kill you!
I am no stranger to work, and I don't mind being able to make a little extra money every now and then. However the amount of mandated over time as a newbie is a bit much. Actually more than a bit. Just don't work the nighshift. With that shift, you don't have a set time where you don't work so your sleep habits and your eating is shot. I feel my health failing...
Productive Call Center
Customer Service Rep/Billing Specialist (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: benefits
American Water is a good call center to work for. They have great customer service representatives. It can be a stressful job but the management goes out their way to help make it better.
Stable company to work for
Workforce Management Analyst (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: lacks constructive criticism and consistency
American Water is a good company to work for. They are the largest utility company in the country which makes for stability. Health Benefits and Salary were great.
Office politics were very disappointing as well as consistency.
Good
Accounting Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJSeptember 9, 2014
Good place to work, enjoy working with the people. Learned so much from working with the team.
Regional Manager (Current Employee), Mount Laurel, NJAugust 27, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job

1 2 3 4 5

About American Water

American Water Works Company, Inc. is United States water and wastewater utility company. The Company provides approximately 15.6 – Read more

American Water Photos