American Water

American Water Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unclear leadership direction
Human Resources (Former Employee), Voorhees, NJAugust 20, 2014
Pros: healthcare
The leadership changes like the wind thus making it difficult to be efficient and effective.
Co-workers are great---family oriented
Management needs further development and experience
American Water has given me a broad experience of skills, allowed myself to be creative provlem solver.
Customer service floor supervisor (Former Employee), Alton , ILAugust 19, 2014
Pros: insurance, vacation time
Cons: forced overtime
Telling you more about American water from my own experience working for the company starting with a typical day at work. Having turn style one door entry for security would make a great morning meet and greet place. I worked in an office that was the main hub of the customer service center. The best way to discribe daily routine is our office was set – more... up as customer service to the customer service employees.
Things that I learn while at AMW would be how to work with differant personalities to acomplish one goal in making the best customer serive experience for our customers internaly or external.
Operations of the customer serivce center conterning phone availability time vs the employees scheduling and the importance thereof. Supervisor payroll approval process and the importance on being accurate. Business writing skills study and training to insure acurate and timely information given to assist the customer serivce center employees with the customer relationship.
My co-workers was the best part of my job experience at AMW per most of my immediante office was seasoned individuals with the company for many years and held knowledge and was egar to share with one another.
Hardest part of working for AMW was watching our office downsize to insure profit for the newly accured stock holders. It was over long time span and mostly thru natural arbitration or reassignment of job, still hard to break apart from our working enviroment. The most enjoyable part of my job would be how managment would work at making the employees feel important and appreciated. We had many wonderful giveaways and getaways to make us feel we did make the differance and someone would notice. – less
Operations Support Specialist (Former Employee), KYAugust 16, 2014
Loved working for the temporary service that was with UK, helped me get into the full time position that I ended up with for over 7 years.
Very Productive
Specialty Desk Representative Level (Current Employee), Alton, IL 62002August 14, 2014
Pros: education of the business and descriptions of work
Cons: american water is in the process of completing a lay off.
A typical day at American water for me is to deliver excellent Grade A customer service to each and every caller on the other end of the phone line. No matter what the situation or circumstance may be. On a daily basis I deliver perdenant productive information to each caller. It's never what you say it's how you say it. In addition to customer service, – more... all guidelines and utility regulations must be obtained, remembered, and demonstrated infinitely. – less
No Clue Management
Senior Accountant/Lead (Former Employee), New JerseyAugust 7, 2014
Pros: competitive salary, pretzel wednesday lol, some great people
Cons: management, advancement, moral, culture, and performance review process
Culture is terrible. Employees are not valued or promoted from within. T'he mindset is that external candidates possess skills that they don't want to invest in for existing employees. What ends of happening is that the skills they desire are either unreasonable or don't meet the salary expectations of the person who possesses them. Management is predominantly – more... CPAs which have no clue about leadership, organizational development or the other basic components most MBAs possess. No one is trying to be mentors to help you advance you have to find those on your own outside of the company. If you are looking for advancement this is not the place. Too many levels in place to make it hard to reach the top and they are heavy on credentials which you won't use. – less
It is an okay place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Pensacola, FLJuly 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits (health, vision, dental and prescription)
Cons: understaffed so employees end up being mandated to work overtime whether they want to or not.
It is an okay place to work. The requirements that are placed on call handlers is out of line with a new operating system that requires more "work arounds" than actual processing. This hurts their "stats."
A suitable company in which the compensation outweighs the daily stress
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJune 19, 2014
Pros: 7th day pay
Cons: certain supervisor bend rules
A typical day can easily start off smooth however end up rough after dealing customer who thinks "I" myself was the enemy because their utility service was shut off for non payment over 6 months. All in all the supervisors were very helpful and easy to get along with and there was always a way to make more money.
Caring company that supports their employees.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMay 20, 2014
Pros: fabulous break area, perks with qa scoring, earning points for goodies.
Cons: work area was cold but we knew that was because of the number of computers in the building.
After working for a little over 5 yrs for AM Water, I feel like when I left, I lost part of a family. The management was always there for the employees. They not only supported us but there were perks, like pod parties monthly, recognition for special accomplishments like when someone one had a baby or got married. I learned that a company can be the – more... boss and family in one.
My co-workers were fabulous and we worked as a team. Even the second call center in IL was considered part of the team.
The hardest part of the job was when a natural disaster occurred and not being able to do more for the customers. The field people were wonderful handling as much as they did.
The most enjoyable part was knowing that when your shift was over, you did the best you could and was proud of what you did. – less
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLMay 19, 2014
Responsible for, but not limited to, meeting quality and performance goals. Responsible for opening customer accounts, closing accounts and also issuing the correct service order when needed. Accepting payments when needed. Resolving problems by clarifying the customer complaint; determining the cause of the problem and selecting and explaining the – more... best solution to resolve the problem. – less
Good company to work for.
Field Service Represantitive (Former Employee), Hillsborough, NJApril 13, 2014
Every day was a challenge I enjoyed. I liked working in the field as a
Field Service Rep.
California American Water - Don't even think about it!
Manager, Environmental Compliance (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 10, 2014
Pros: decent salary and benefits
Cons: not trustworthy, disloyal
California American Water management doesn't have any regard for its employees. The company preaches "maintaining the utmost integrity." However, as a former employee who was dedicated and worked many extra hours on my own time, I was totally blindsided when my position was "eliminated," without warning, "due to financial considerations." The truth – more... was I was apparently not highly favored by the company's senior management because I was honest with them, even though I kept the company from getting into trouble with state regulators. Less than a year after eliminating my position, one of my previous direct reports was appointed to a newly created higher-level position, with a higher salary, that did essentially what I was doing. That move should clearly indicate the kind of company California American Water is. Do not work for them if you want job security. They cannot be trusted. – less
This company sucks
Meter Reader (Former Employee), ArizonaApril 6, 2014
Cons: management sucks code of ethics hotline is a joke
This company is unethical and has supervisor /employee relations that tend to fav those employees more the way to get good in this company is to kiss up to management on day one terrible company to work for
Very unstable for a Utility
Corporate Finance Manager (Current Employee), Hershey, PAApril 2, 2014
To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.To many reorganizations for a water/wasetwater utility.
Fast-Paced, gratifying work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Pensacola, FlMarch 28, 2014
This position required me to take payments, change customer addresses, dispatch FSR's, and handle water quality issues.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), pensacola, flMarch 9, 2014
Pros: benefits and overtime
Cons: mandatory overtime and culture
Answered phone calls all day. Took payments over the phone, answered questions, enrolled (water) service for customers, cancelled service. Management is more concerned about time on the phone than quality of customer service you provide.
Terrible environment and very bad management.
Lead Operator (Former Employee), Fort Meade, MDFebruary 26, 2014
Cons: they just suck
They do not support the employee at all. The safety is a joke. At Meade there was a chlorine leak and someone was gassed and this manager wanted to cover it up. It was not reported ,PPE was not issued for 3 months until the operator was gassed. They were using cartridges for the guys to repair one ton sulfur and chlorine cylinders. Then they went after – more... anyone with knowledge to get year end bonus .I resigned before a serious accident could happen. The employee turn over is crazy, that is a real issue hitting them. Who wants to work for a company that tries to fire a good employee so they can save 3.00 an hour on a new hire? Wonder why the tank in WV was not contained in a berm? EPA regulation. – less
Well structured environment.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee), Cherry Hill, NJFebruary 12, 2014
Worked at American Water as a temporary employee. I am enjoying my time at American Water. My supervisors respected my knowledge of SAP and placed me accordingly. I learned the automated side of SAP. Most of the full time employees were helpful with additional training. Supervisors were very helpful when needed. It was a temporary position, which is – more... the hard part, you're a part of the group getting the job done, but you're apart from everyone else. The best part was that I know exactly what my job was and I was able to come in everyday, and do it with out constantly being instructed. – less
Staying until something better comes along
Call Handling Supervisor (Current Employee), ILFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: union run, good benefits
Cons: mangement is unprofessional, low pay
Leadership is unprofessional; and will not practice what they preach. Benefits are good but I began looking for another position not long after I began. Pay is good for Reps beacuse it's a union shop .
Senior Mailroom Coordinator
Senior Mailroom Coordinator (Former Employee), Cherry Hill NJFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great management team
Worked in American Water Mailroom for twelve years.
Opened and sorted mail for the Shared Service Center daily.
Learned to work in Corporate environment.
Last five years at American Water trained and guided two
other employees in all areas of mailroom operations.
Productive and Fun
Cost Accountant (Current Employee), Belleville, IllinoisJanuary 12, 2014
-Provided project managers with information about internal company programs and software as well as annual budgeting information.
-Prepared and populated all monthly accounting templates with "actuals". Then relayed this information to project managers and all other essential personnel within the company.
-Assisted management with various projects, – more... on demand, as dictated by direct manager. – less

1 2 3 4

About American Water

American Water Works Company, Inc. is United States water and wastewater utility company. The Company provides approximately 15.6 – Read more

American Water Photos