American Water Employee Reviews

Great team work.
HR/Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMarch 19, 2016
Co-workers from all around the USA always dependable and willing to work hard at resolving any issues.

Upper management not consistent
Pros
Benefits Great co workers
Cons
no job security
Productive and fun place to work with very good employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alton, ILAugust 19, 2016
Enjoyed working for American Water. They have very good benefits for their workers, They had very good insurance, 401IK plan they contributed to your contribution. The best part of the job was knowing you were helping customers with problems they did not know how to solve themselves, The hardest part of the job was learning each states laws and regulations.

I learned there was more to calling up to get service. I learned the rules and regulations of each state you were working on at the time. I also learned how to handle customers in crisis and help them.
Pros
When you achieved certain goal they would reward you with jackets, shirts, free lunches and gift certificates.
Cons
Learning every states laws and regulations
The company is a nice place to work Although the management lack in leadership
Senior Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJJune 19, 2016
A typical day at work is to answer call. process payroll, handle payroll issues, process time entry and set up uinon dues for over 70 different unions. and record relocations, stock options, garnishments, uploads of all expense statments, imputed income for mileage and stocks and union dues changes. Setting you W 4 and process the third party and taxes. The hardest part of the job is to have our employees understand the FLSA rate on over time and double. Our union employees really have a hard time understanding the calcuation. Now I have about 90% of the union employees that are starting to understand but about 10% is still struggling with the new way. The most enjoyable part is working with my co workers as a team.
benefits
Cons
re design of the department
horrible managment
equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVNovember 3, 2015
great career if you are in the click. this may be only in wv don't know. minorities are over looked.. the jobs are wonderful but management will find a way to make your job so stressfull you want to quit but the money helps you put up with the bs. you are just a number there is nomore job family those days are gone but if you can be agood boy or girl or you are family you will have it made. overall its a great place to work but you will give most of your time to your job when forced to work
Pros
money benafits co wrkers
Cons
watch your back no concern for family
Disorganized and unrealistic project goals
Enterprise Service Management BA / QA ITSM Lead (Current Employee) –  Voorhees, NJAugust 16, 2016
Most all employees are over worked and many are under skilled. They do not practice what they preach as far as Policies, processes, best practices and industry methodologies!

Employees express a very disrespectful attitude towards contractors, and do not appreciate the effort they put forth.

The company is very wasteful with it's funds!
Pros
Working remotely when available
Cons
Project Goals are unrealistic forcing all projects to over run in many cases by years!
Great place to work with great benefits.
Utility Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, NJJuly 13, 2016
At American Water, a typical day of work consisted of multiple trench digging jobs and water pipe repairs which I learned how to do while I was there. My management and co-workers were very knowledgeable and helped out greatly. The hardest part of this job was when each job was over, the backfilling. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with co-workers who became friends.
Poor Upper Management in California
Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 8, 2016
They create an impossible environment to work in.
Top California management is completely out of touch and has no respect for their employees.
Make your employees feel like they matter.
Pros
Great administrative staff and lower level staff
Cons
The incompetent power hungry upper management, stress, unreasonable expectations
Must be a self-starter and have a ton of self-structure to succeed.
Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJAugust 22, 2016
There are no typical days at American Water. The jobs are very challenging and rewarding. Work life balance is a constant struggle. Overall the people I worked day-to-day were top-notch.
Pros
Rewarded for innovation.
Cons
Promoting very poor performers.
Productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 9, 2016
My day at work consists of receiving calls back to back regarding services and billing. Resolving issues customers are calling about, while maintaining a call handle time required. I enjoy people, and helping them.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No personal interaction with customers
great company bad management
Lead Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTJuly 11, 2016
great company but they had hired an all new staff with some good experience and some with very little experience that were making decisions for upper management. which counted for a larger turn over of employees.
Pros
great company
Cons
management
No Clue Management
Senior Accountant/Lead (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 7, 2014
Culture is terrible. Employees are not valued or promoted from within. T'he mindset is that external candidates possess skills that they don't want to invest in for existing employees. What ends of happening is that the skills they desire are either unreasonable or don't meet the salary expectations of the person who possesses them. Management is predominantly CPAs which have no clue about leadership, organizational development or the other basic components most MBAs possess. No one is trying to be mentors to help you advance you have to find those on your own outside of the company. If you are looking for advancement this is not the place. Too many levels in place to make it hard to reach the top and they are heavy on credentials which you won't use.
Pros
competitive salary, pretzel wednesday lol, some great people
Cons
management, advancement, moral, culture, and performance review process
Like my job but the company and morale is in rapid decline
Production Mechanic (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 16, 2015
Structure of the company is horribly top heavy. Work load on everyone is unrealistic and causing employees to be stressed and things to fall through the cracks. They expect more and more out of the workers while whittling away at benefits and giving minimal raises. That being said I'm not sure if management is incompetent or just overworked and unable to do their jobs properly. When I started less than 10 years ago people had pride in working for this company, now they're trying to leave as soon as they can. The only positive things I can say are, some positions have a decent rate of pay and the frontline people are generally good, hardworking people that I have enjoyed knowing.
Pros
some of the positions have decent pay
Cons
overworked, underappreciated, and incompetent management
call center environment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJuly 2, 2016
Enjoy helping people processing calls and building customer service skills and relationships with customers. Plenty of room for advancement definitely a great career move
Cons
mandated overtime
Good expereince
SAP BI/BW Consultant (Current Employee) –  Woodcrest, NJMay 25, 2016
Excellent exposure to technology and functionality and good end to end execution exeperince. Project implemented SAP HANA in two phases, phase 1 was the infrastructure upgrade and Phase 2 was the HANA/EHP 7 upgrade
Pros
Overal Project expereince
Fast passed, too much change at one time
Configurator/Tester/Training Support (Payroll) (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJMay 18, 2016
While working to build their ERP system, there were long days and no work life balance. This led to health issue for me. I had to chose between my health and my career.
Pros
Great learning experiance
Cons
No work life balance
A concise working enviroment. Attention to customer request and the service needed to satisfy their customers.
Customer Service-Call Center (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 18, 2016
The job was about 24/7 customer service, call center work, three shifts. As the main water utility service for the region they must operate with specific standards and within state regulations. They had a 6 week training period that I was a part of. through which they covered all the intricacies of their operation as a major utility. The managers were well involved in showing you what they do and what you would be required to do. Fellow job seekers who came in with me were all pleasant and willing people looking to go to work and earn a good living. The hardest part of the job was so much knowledge to adapt to...huge reams of 2 inch folders. The thing you had to become good at was knowing what folder to research in order to help the customer.
Pros
Flexible shift work. Comfortable call center/building. Great tech support.
Cons
Training was somewhat off, their traning didn't come over well, they only used 2 trainers for a class size of 21 new trainees, they could improve that ratio, give new people a better chance to learn, they have a high turn over ratio, of the 21 people that started with maybe they reatained 4 or 5 for permanant work.
American Water
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 28, 2015
Customer Service Representative; responsible for assisting customers with water connection or termination of water service. Typically handled 100 service calls within an eight-hour work shift. These service calls consist of connection, disconnection of water service, billing inquiries, and emergency water service. Responsible for negotiating payment plans with customers for water service to be continued or reconnected. Responsible for collecting almost $500,000 in water service debt in one year. Followed the Pennsylvania State guidelines in negotiating payments from our customers ensuring proper procedures were followed as required
american
call handler (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILJune 6, 2016
here at American water Mondays are more busy days in the call center very easy work, I love he environment this is a great part time job
Purchased past employer. Fair treatment from all.
Safety Manager/OSC Specialist (Current Employee) –  O'Fallon, MOAugust 19, 2015
Typically, I spen my days tracking 42 facilities' safety programs, training, and OSHA / OHSA (Ontario) standards compliance. Approx. 15% of time is involved with conducting Safety Peer Reviews at contract locations.

Learned a great deal about safety culture, and how it can be affected for the betterment of idividuals and the Company.

Co-workers have always worked within a team mentality.

Hardest part of the job is having to deal with employee injuries and their effects on work and family.

Most enjoyable part would have to be the spririt of commeradity that the organization displays at every turn. Basically I feel that doing something I love, with people that I like to work with, has been a real joy.

A collaborative safety culture is great when the right people and circumstances meet.
short staffed
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJanuary 15, 2016
The turn around is insane, back to back calls. Management is short staffed so getting help is difficult while trying to reach/maintain KPIs.