American Red Cross

American Red Cross Employee Reviews

was a great experience
Medical Equipmemt Loans Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
I learned a lot working for the Red Cross there is many different sections with in the Red Cross and I must say working as Medical Loans Coordinator was a great experience to work with my fellow employees and the general public.
Red Cross
Swim instructor, Rachael's Summer Swim School (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 October 2016
The lifestyle is different than most, but the rewards of the relationships with swimmers and parents, is great. Swimmers are motivated and hard working. The job requires many different roles so can sometimes feel torn with what to prioritize. The staff and my co-workers are friendly and enjoyable to work alongside.
Cons
Long, odd hours, including weekends
helped set up orientations for youth groups
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON27 February 2017
active, engaging workplace that was beneficial to the community. Helped to increase my sense of responsibility and teamwork. would recommend.
Pros
Snacks
Fun Loving place,with good work culture and Ethics.
Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mostly work from home2 August 2016
Day starts 9am mostly work from home, scheduled with atlease 2-4 meetings everyday,mostly Skype meetings or Webex.
Learnt Advanced SQL,
XML Testing
Management is very encouraging and soft spoken with good mentoring skills.
Hardest part three different projects at a time.
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  High River, AB27 August 2016
Very nice environment to work in! Staff are very friendly, and care a lot about the other volunteers! All in all, I do not regret joining the Red Cross for the flood recovery of 2013!
Pros
Free lunches and friendly co-volunteers
Cons
Hard work, and very strenuous
fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Edmundston, NB25 October 2016
Nice ambiance, I always love to do charity work and loved working there. We didn`t get paid of course, but the hours we worked, we could get stuff from the store.
Great place
Community Support Worker Waterloo Region (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON1 September 2016
• Consultation with customer to establish the cut, style or color they desired.
• Retail of hair products
• Opening and closing of shop ensure the till was balanced
Enjoyed serving clients
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON and cobourg,ontario3 June 2016
Management had some issues,they worked very hard to take care of sick people but didnt like it when you got sick,i enjoyed most of my clients just didnt like company bs some times
Pros
Work indepently
Cons
driving around in the bad weather in winter
helping people in need
PSW (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON12 April 2016
it is always rewarding to be a psw the people are usually sweet can caring and knowing your making there day by helping them is rewarding on its own
Pros
helping people
Cons
seeing them get more ill or passing away
CPR & AED INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL16 April 2016
Great professional people who took their jobs seriously. Well run organization that took care of matters first. Felt good being part of such a well respected group.
Fun place
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2015
My job is fun, because I get to play with kids, feed them and take full responsibilities for it. You can even bake with them and get to know them. Plus they're adorable.
Pros
Playing with kids
Cons
no rest until they rest
productivity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 September 2015
great experience, had a lot to learn about red cross and what they did to reach their achievements. there wasn't a hardest part of the job since at the beginning everyday was a challenge until you used to it which took me the first 3 days. i enjoyed everything about the job.
Helping others with everyday livings is very rewarding.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, On9 April 2012
A typical day at work is driving from home to home in the community to help the the sick and elderly with daily livings such as laundry, house cleaning, bathing, dressing, cooking, medication that they take it properly. Usually work alone, the hardest part of the job is getting your day full of clients back to back without gaps in between that you do not get paid for, and the best part is you can pick your own start and finish hours.
Pros
picking your start and finish hours
Cons
not getting paid for gaps in between clients, not getting paid enough for mileage on gas.
Chalenging and fun job
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valemount, BC18 July 2012
While working for red cross I had a lot of fun, mostly because I got to be around children all day, although I did find it difficult to deal with parents of the children, or over bearing children (especially some who had special needs) but it did teach me how to deal with certain people and how to approach certain problems that might happen. The hardest part about working for the red cross was the pressure of being in charge of so many children’s lives, as well as adults. I worked alone, and unfortunately my management was new to the red cross system so we had a hard time working out certain things like paperwork for the students.
Pros
good pay, long hours, fun environment
Cons
inexpierience, paper work, long hours
More for the bussiness and not the people
PSW (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON29 October 2013
Poor management of clients and workers. Unfair pay and benefits are hard to get unless you work a 50 hour week on a regular basis. Our cars take a lot of wear and tare which we are personally responsible to try and up keep. Work is very stressful, they cram you with so many clients, it is hard to get there on time.

The best part of my job was the clients I had and miss them very much. You give but take so much more away.
Pros
PSW Convention
The CSW course was outstanding there . very informative and enjoyable .
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON6 March 2013
Was usually good
I learned how to really budget on little income,and no benifits.And how much I enjoy dealing with seniors.The management was rarely nice when issues occured.Not enough regular hrs. Schedule is all over the place.Co workers were generally good
The hardest part was not getting any help ,and the situations that some elders were left in.The most enjoyable part was spending the time I could assisting these people and getting to know them and enjoying them while being at work
Pros
working with seniors
Cons
hrs are scrambled and inconsistant, not enough pay, have to use your own vehicle ... you drive all over the place for short terms, and you have to deal with the management.
Love Volnteering and helping the Community
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 April 2013
I have volunteered several times throughout my high school years and later on into post-secondary years as well. I have never had a job because there was never really a need, but the time has come! Being apart of Red Cross was a simple and easy job, yet was very rewarding being able to help out in any little way. I love working with people and following directions as well as being given the freedom to make my own decisions and solve problems on a day-to-day basis. I am sure i can handle any task given to me required that i meet the requirements, and I am a quick learner as well. Even though I've never been employed, it's not that I am completely unaware of what goes on in the workplace, seeing that i did participate in my father's professional cleaning business for many years.
I like a warm and productive, clean working environment.
Standard First Aid & CPR certified ( (Former Employee) –  In class at Everest college12 June 2014
Multitasking . But I have learned to deal with the most urgent case first. My most enjoyable day at any job is to get my job done and my task is accomplished.
Pros
when people are not cooperative and warm
Cons
I love working long hours because of my passion to work with customer service.
Over worked/Underpaid
Cert' Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON9 March 2015
Overall Red Cross a.k.a. care partners are a great company however the employees are typically overworked! missing their family putting in 12hr days only to receive an 8hr paid day. In order to get 8 hrs adding your travel time between clients makes up the extra 4 hrs
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON17 May 2015
I have had a lot of experience working with all types of people.

I learned that it is so important to always keep an open mind, and never judge people.

The co-workers loved me.
I have C.P.R. and first aid training.
Pros
Payed vacations
Cons
Long hours and working weekends.