American Red Cross Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed serving clients
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON and cobourg,ontarioJune 3, 2016
Management had some issues,they worked very hard to take care of sick people but didnt like it when you got sick,i enjoyed most of my clients just didnt like company bs some times
Pros
Work indepently
Cons
driving around in the bad weather in winter
helping people in need
PSW (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 12, 2016
it is always rewarding to be a psw the people are usually sweet can caring and knowing your making there day by helping them is rewarding on its own
Pros
helping people
Cons
seeing them get more ill or passing away
Fun place
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 29, 2015
My job is fun, because I get to play with kids, feed them and take full responsibilities for it. You can even bake with them and get to know them. Plus they're adorable.
Pros
Playing with kids
Cons
no rest until they rest
The CSW course was outstanding there . very informative and enjoyable .
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONMarch 6, 2013
Was usually good
I learned how to really budget on little income,and no benifits.And how much I enjoy dealing with seniors.The management was rarely nice when issues occured.Not enough regular hrs. Schedule is all over the place.Co workers were generally good
The hardest part was not getting any help ,and the situations that some elders were left in.The most enjoyable part was spending the time I could assisting these people and getting to know them and enjoying them while being at work
Pros
working with seniors
Cons
hrs are scrambled and inconsistant, not enough pay, have to use your own vehicle ... you drive all over the place for short terms, and you have to deal with the management.
Chalenging and fun job
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Valemount, BCJuly 18, 2012
While working for red cross I had a lot of fun, mostly because I got to be around children all day, although I did find it difficult to deal with parents of the children, or over bearing children (especially some who had special needs) but it did teach me how to deal with certain people and how to approach certain problems that might happen. The hardest part about working for the red cross was the pressure of being in charge of so many children’s lives, as well as adults. I worked alone, and unfortunately my management was new to the red cross system so we had a hard time working out certain things like paperwork for the students.
Pros
good pay, long hours, fun environment
Cons
inexpierience, paper work, long hours
productivity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 27, 2015
great experience, had a lot to learn about red cross and what they did to reach their achievements. there wasn't a hardest part of the job since at the beginning everyday was a challenge until you used to it which took me the first 3 days. i enjoyed everything about the job.
More for the bussiness and not the people
PSW (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONOctober 29, 2013
Poor management of clients and workers. Unfair pay and benefits are hard to get unless you work a 50 hour week on a regular basis. Our cars take a lot of wear and tare which we are personally responsible to try and up keep. Work is very stressful, they cram you with so many clients, it is hard to get there on time.

The best part of my job was the clients I had and miss them very much. You give but take so much more away.
Pros
psw convention
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONMay 17, 2015
I have had a lot of experience working with all types of people.

I learned that it is so important to always keep an open mind, and never judge people.

The co-workers loved me.
I have C.P.R. and first aid training.
Pros
Payed vacations
Cons
Long hours and working weekends.
Great clients but no contact with fellow employees
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 4, 2014
I love my job. The highlight of my day is my interaction with my clients. I constantly give up my weekends off when I know that clients will go without service because of lack of PSW's. I genuinely care for my clients and I love doing anything I can to help my clients. The only reason I Iam considering leave Red Cross Care Partners is the only labor dispute, and the fact wwe are not shown any appreciation for going beyond our responsibilities. I also would love to find a job closer to my home in Acton Before the recent stike I would work between 40-60 hours/week and I loved every minute of it. I didnt get a chance to meet many co-workers as there was no company get togethers. The few co-workers I did meet have become friends I keep in contact with. The hardest part of my job is when the clients die. It is very hard not to let it affect you.
Pros
i love helpings others and knowing that my job makes a difference in someone's life
Cons
long, staggered hours, no feedback from management, no contact with coworkers
clients and businesses were wonderful
Specialized Transit Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 28, 2013
Loved driving, the clients were great. No job security, management doesn't deal well with women workers.
Cons
no job security, wages are now $6.00 less an hour from when i started
Good workplace
PSW-Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 25, 2015
working with the elderly has been a great experience, you get to learn so much wisdom from them and also build great relationships with them,
A precious working experience accumulation.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 29, 2015
First time to work in Canada, it gave me a chance to commute with Customers, service public. It also help me to enlarge my social network. it helps me to know the life in Canada.
I like a warm and productive, clean working environment.
Standard First Aid & CPR certified ( (Former Employee) –  In class at Everest collegeJune 12, 2014
Multitasking . But I have learned to deal with the most urgent case first. My most enjoyable day at any job is to get my job done and my task is accomplished.
Pros
when people are not cooperative and warm
Cons
i love working long hours because of my passion to work with customer service.
Ideally located place and a great environment within the organization.
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Stockholm, ABMay 22, 2014
Great culture, nice work balance. It was a great can do attitude there.
Pros
close to shops and attractions.
Cons
hierarchical system within the organisation
Love Volnteering and helping the Community
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 1, 2013
I have volunteered several times throughout my high school years and later on into post-secondary years as well. I have never had a job because there was never really a need, but the time has come! Being apart of Red Cross was a simple and easy job, yet was very rewarding being able to help out in any little way. I love working with people and following directions as well as being given the freedom to make my own decisions and solve problems on a day-to-day basis. I am sure i can handle any task given to me required that i meet the requirements, and I am a quick learner as well. Even though I've never been employed, it's not that I am completely unaware of what goes on in the workplace, seeing that i did participate in my father's professional cleaning business for many years.
Babysitting experience
Babysitter (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 28, 2015
I babysat a few children during the course of one year. It was exciting to be able to be in charge of them and be responsible for their safety whilst ensuring they are having fun.
Over worked/Underpaid
Cert' Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONMarch 9, 2015
Overall Red Cross a.k.a. care partners are a great company however the employees are typically overworked! missing their family putting in 12hr days only to receive an 8hr paid day. In order to get 8 hrs adding your travel time between clients makes up the extra 4 hrs
Helping others with everyday livings is very rewarding.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, OnApril 9, 2012
A typical day at work is driving from home to home in the community to help the the sick and elderly with daily livings such as laundry, house cleaning, bathing, dressing, cooking, medication that they take it properly. Usually work alone, the hardest part of the job is getting your day full of clients back to back without gaps in between that you do not get paid for, and the best part is you can pick your own start and finish hours.
Pros
picking your start and finish hours
Cons
not getting paid for gaps in between clients, not getting paid enough for mileage on gas.
Lied too me all the time
PSW (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound , ONAugust 5, 2012
Very hard place too work in...I learned in life too trust only yourself. Co workers were out for themselves only....Management lied all the time...I am not sure how they slept at nights
Red Cross
Office Assistant (CO-OP) (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 19, 2015
Great place to be in if you like to be indoors and working in a small office with only a few people working there at Belleville's branch.