American Express

American Express Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company & Highly Talented People
Product Development (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2014
Great company, hands down. Talented people and lot of opportunities for someone to grow vertically.
A PLACE WHERE WORK CAN STAY AT WORK
Dedicated Support Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2014
The balance is like nothing I have personally experienced in this position.
Fantastic place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2014
Pros: culture
Cons: there are no cons
American Express has been a great place to work. They have a culture of customer engagement and employee appreciation.
Busy office setting, time went so fast
Travel Coordinator for NJ customer locations (Former Employee), Clifton, NJJuly 10, 2014
Pros: discount on travel
Cons: we were laid off due to the internet
A typical day was starting at 9am at my desk connected to a headset taking calls from clients to book their business travel. I learned so many things, listening to the clients needs and booking trips all over the world. Air, car and hotels. Booking a reservation quickly and correctly for each traveler.Management was very helpful when any questions or – more... concerns came up. Unusual requests were met effectively. My co-workers and I were a great team working and helping each other. The hardest part was when 911 happened and people really wanted to be home with family members, but the airports were shut down. All car rentals were sold out. The most enjoyable of the job were many things. One would be having many happy clients with nice reviews. – less
Stiffling enviroment with poor leadership
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 10, 2014
Pros: smart and good clients
Cons: management, call center mentality
The travel department is in trouble. There is a manager who has no management skills and micromanages. Team Leaders are solely based on choosing "yes men" for the manager. No experience team leaders are chosen over highly qualified and experienced colleagues.
Co workers are extremely competative. The compensation is poverty level with the "benefits" – more... impossible to use. The "agent stay" program is never available and the travel perks are a 10% discount at 5 star hotels that no employee can afford.

I enjoyed my clients. Amex is looking for call center people not travel professionals. They do not care about their platinum or centurion card holders and treat them as if they are cattle to be shuffled. Don't have any opinions and don't expect to make any money, they change the goals yearly and each quarter "tweak" them which means you will make less and less each "bonus" (which is taxed at 40%) – less
A good environment to work with a fun and learn activities.
Business Analyst (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: old infrastructure.. need to be renewed
It was an awesome experience working for American Express. Given a good opportunity in future, would always like to work for American Express again.
Productive Company
Travel Agent Specialist (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great management
Cons: yearly lay offs
American Express is also a very all over Diversified Company
Amazing Company
Strategic Corporate Service CCP (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2014
Pros: great benefits, work life balance policy's and ability to advance or move within the company.
Cons: main hubs are located in arizona, not a lot of virtual options.
Its easy to say that you left a job, not the job left you. I had to relocate and leaving this job was the hardest choice I have ever had to make. American Express is a great company to work with.
Great group of people to work with. Everyone shares their knowledge so it is not lost to the coany.
Manager - Internal Control (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2014
Pros: training, travel, room for advancement
Cons: late nights for certain groups
The people are wonderful and the culture is very much inclusive. Leaders have tried to improve life/work balance by giving days off with pay to make up for late nights. Amex provides training on policies so that all employees receive the same message. It is a great place to start your career.
Great place to work; fun relaxed environment
Executive Assistant, Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 8, 2014
For the most part, everyone is nice and willing to teach, if you are willing to learn. It is a good environment to work in. Each day brought it's own set of challenges. There is a cafeteria onsite, and restaurants and shopping in the building.
lots of fun
Fraud specialist (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTJuly 7, 2014
Pros: great bennifits
Cons: not so great with management.
Amex is a great company to work for, but when its time for change you have to move on...
Good Professional Workplace
Reconciliations Analyst (Full-time) (Former Employee), BFT (Billing from Travel) TeamJuly 6, 2014
Pros: opportunity to speak french
Cons: working in front of a computer screen all day long.
My typical day would be from 9am until 4pm and would require me working on the computer for most of the day as a Reconciliations Analyst, reconciling discrepancies on business travel accounts.

I worked in the French team of my department, meaning I would be speaking both formal French (on the phone to colleagues in Paris) and more 'everyday' French – more... with colleagues in my office.

I learnt a great dealing working at American Express as not only did I drastically improve my fluency in French, but I gained a great deal of experience working in a professional environment.

Management were nice and approachable, and were always there to help. Colleagues were also nice to work with, again being friendly and supportive.

The hardest part of the job was learning all of the different processes on the different computer systems, however the best part was the satisfaction when I finally got to grips with it all and was able to use several of them simultaneously. – less
Nice and fun place to work
Customer Care Rep (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 5, 2014
Pros: nice work attmosphere, nice people
Cons: no health insurance, low pay
Sales and account management for American Express, telephone sales with approximately 150 calls per day.
Wonderful
Cashiers dept (Former Employee), Brighton, ENGJuly 4, 2014
Pros: good hours
You felt part on a team in a really big company. it was great fun even the YTS first
Fun working place great people
Print Operator /Mailing clerk/Billing and payments (Current Employee), Weston, FLJuly 2, 2014
Pros: great healthcare
Cons: the long hours
long hours but fun at work
learn people skills
learn management skills
Great co-workers
Growth Opportunities
Project Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 1, 2014
AMEX is a good place to learn and grow and establish your self and build solid unterstanding of today's growing IT industry.
Nice place to work
Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 30, 2014
Great place to work.
Nice work/life balance.
Very good people with a diverse culture.
Best Place to Work
Master CCP(Coporate Card Professional) (Former Employee), Gurgaon, HRJune 30, 2014
Pros: regular team outings, fun fridays..free meals (pizza/ mods/ subways etc) to beat the monday blues!!
Cons: hr is stringent about their policies!!
Highly competent management yet super friendly!! Amazing salary ,,best part it gets credited on the 25th not on the last working day...(isnt that great?!) .....every single employee aims at providing the extra ordinary service........n numbers of R n R schemes....team outings,,process party...transport (which generally s@#$S) is highly reliable... I – more... felt the difference the day I joined....world class infrastructure......Flexible leave plans..one can easily plan long holidays and above all ...SUPER and HUGE incentives..but yes its not a cake walk one has to put in a lot of elbow greece..but overall an amazing company...... – less
Wouldn't trade this experience for anything!
Phone rep, Team Lead/Mgr, Quality Analyst (Former Employee), Greensboro NCJune 30, 2014
Pros: constant incentives to promote employee morale, diversity counsels, opportunities to advance/relocate
This was my first true corporate job! Overall, a GREAT company to work for! It taught me impeccable communication skills and how to improve my overall leadership skills. I worked in several departments for the 15 years I was there. I learned so much and am appreciative for the opportunity afforded me. I loved co-workers most of the time, sometimes the – more... management proved a little challenging. My last few years there, I could tell it was time for me to move on...I had become complacent. – less
No reliable
Manager (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLJune 27, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: company lost contract
The company shut down and we all had to find other jobs. I really didn't like that west lost the contract.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos