American Express
1,477 reviews

American Express Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioJuly 27, 2012
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee), Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Pros: employee benefits, global company
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Pros: large company, good benifits
Cons: long hours
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Overall a great company to work for
Bilingual Fraud Specialist (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 4, 2012
Pros: hire's from within
Cons: far from the city
It is a very stable company, offers great potentials for internal advancements
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Markham, ON / Phoenix, ArizonaMay 19, 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 9, 2012
Pros: great working atmosphere, location
Cons: not enough focus on my own development
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
Travail sous pression, expérience obtenu
Conseiller en voyages d'affaires (Former Employee), Montréal, QCFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: est situé au centre ville
Cons: beaucoup de changements difficile a suivre, mises a pied, employés qui durent une petite période dans le poste
American Express Canada est un bon moyen d'obtenir de l'expérience dans le voyages d'affaires et l'industrie du voyage.
Appels entrants et sortants font partie de la journée en général, aussi l'attention polie et cordial aux clients.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos