American Express Employee Reviews

Great people to work with
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 July 2014
I spent the last 6 years of my life working here and although there were up's and many downs the one thing that remained constant throughout my experience there was having the privilege of working with such amazing people.

If your looking for an enjoyable atmosphere thats filled with great people and hard workers than this is the place for you.
Pros
Great people, onsite gym
Cons
terrible management, under paid positions
great place to work
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 October 2014
It was a great pleasure working for these companies. The work day was as any other day. Management was very good to us. My co-workers was friendly and kind. The hardest part of the job was sometimes talking to business owners about their credit reports. The
most enjoyable part of the day was when I help someone .
4 overall rating out of 5
Senior IT Manager/Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON4 May 2015
good place to work, culture is moving to an agile development style. Brand new state of the art building with on-site Tim Horton's and has a great gym with a pool
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham Ontario19 June 2012
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Pros
employee benefits, global company
customer service oriented job
Senior Travel Consultant & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 October 2012
Answering calls and fulfilling all aspects of travel requests from company employees. Dealing with all problems and challenges that arise.
Managing difficult clients being the biggest challenge and forming lasting relationships with clients being the largest reward.
Pros
set schedule - good benefits
Cons
can be constant dealing with difficult clients
Profit Center Knowledge
Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2015
This role provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the profit center of a business. Additionally, it allowed for an expansion of my network by allowing me to work with various different stakeholder teams. I have learned as much as can be offered by the role and would like to leverage my skills within a more strategy based role.
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 January 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
Productive and fun workplace
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 April 2014
Financial Services Sales & Customer Relations Professional with a progressive 14+ year career at American Express, successfully selling products and services, addressing customer issues and optimizing revenue. Recognized for superior sales and customer service results through receipt of several performance awards and incentives
Bad place to be a contractor
E2E Test Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 August 2013
The only reason contractors at American Express are treated as second-class citizens is that they don't have a third class. Little to no management support: new employees / contractors must stumble around to find the resources they need.
Pros
Nothing of consequence
Cons
Us.vs.them attitude to contractors
Great Company to work for
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON5 March 2015
American Express is a great company to work for. I handled inbound calls for card activation. The office is big, your colleges are great and very helpful. The salary could be better.
Pros
great food at the cafeteria (even open on weekends)
Cons
N/A
fun workplace/acknowledges and rewards their employees
Customer Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON3 March 2014
Interact with 90-100customers on a daily basis/fun place to work/one big happy family/bosses have open door policy/benefits and perks are excellent/it's a shame they are closing the US call center here in Canada very soon.
Productive work enviroment
Global Credit Administration (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON29 May 2013
Excellent company to work for .Great team spirit, fantastic learning opportunities , Management is extremely fair. The hardest part of my job is to decline a charge once the cardmember is at the point of sale.
Pros
Great team spirit, Excellent management
Excellent workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada6 October 2015
Amex is an excellent organisation to work for. An ideal corporate that values its employees.

Flexible and employee centric
Pros
Flexible
Cons
N/A
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee) –  (Not Employee)Toronto ON9 August 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
fast paste and productive
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, on23 March 2015
weekly goals to be made and to exceed

very fast paste and energetic

awesome company to work for

top benefits
always some sort of incentives and presents for the workers
Pros
free lunch / free hotel stays
American Express is a productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham Ontario15 April 2013
 Responded to 125+ incoming calls in a timely and professional manner; maximizing service and sales leads; researched and addressed credit card member inquiries and concerns adhering to call quality and monitoring procedures/guidelines
 Effectively handled account maintenance including credit related inquiries, authorizations, enrolment and cancellation of services
 Processed new accounts and applications, providing account, setting up billing disputes and referral to other departments as necessary
 Followed up on complaints, investigated issues with various departments
 Provided ongoing support and assistance to new staff as a buddy to ensure successful transition into new role
 Utilized needs assessment and effective persuasion skills to achieve departmental sales targets and goals
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee) –  Markham,ON3 October 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Markham19 January 2013
Dealing with customers daily financial requirements
it was a very busy environment and the management was friendly
Overall a great company to work for
Bilingual Fraud Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 June 2012
It is a very stable company, offers great potentials for internal advancements
Pros
hire's from within
Cons
far from the city
productive workplace
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON27 November 2012
Gained excellent knowledge of communicating with customers.
Team leader for 2years.
great management and a team oriented atmosphere.

4.2