American Express
1,408 reviews

American Express Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee), Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Pros: employee benefits, global company
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Pros: large company, good benifits
Cons: long hours
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Overall a great company to work for
Bilingual Fraud Specialist (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 4, 2012
Pros: hire's from within
Cons: far from the city
It is a very stable company, offers great potentials for internal advancements
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Markham, ON / Phoenix, ArizonaMay 19, 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 9, 2012
Pros: great working atmosphere, location
Cons: not enough focus on my own development
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
What a great company.....
MARKETING ANALYST / CONSULTANTS 2 GO (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 26, 2015
Love it... Work/life balance could not be better. A real company that provides the training needed to become succesful and focuses on their employees' career goals. I would stay in AMEX for a life time. and there is no better place to improve your skills than such a company. I love it...
Overall Working at American Express is very good Experience
Sr. Developer, Onsite Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 24, 2015
Work culture at American Express is wonderful. Had very good learning curve from technology standpoint.
Great Place to Work
Taining Coach (Former Employee), New York, NTJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: compensation, benefits
Cons: frequent restructuring can lead to job loss
Great Company, benefits, and compensation.
Great Leadership
There is opportunity for advancement, just ensure you are a top performer and make to move quick.
No matter the position
Fraud Processor (Former Employee), West Valley City, UTJanuary 22, 2015
It's just a call center like anywhere else, no matter how much they pay. Expect to be treated like a little peon and to have them berate you for failure.
work/life balance
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), New York, New YorkJanuary 22, 2015
work/life balance is great.

Amex is big on healthy living.

medical services are offiered to amex employees. Medical office located in tower
Current Market Experience
GCG Marketing Analyst (Current Employee), New york, nyJanuary 21, 2015
I support three different managers currently working on strategic marketing plans, content, global communications, and reporting for certain card products. I am part of the PRIDE committee which I am organizing cross functional networking events with other ERG groups, such as the Black Employee Networks and the Hispanic group.
Managed and maintained relationships and communication with major clients.
National Account Manager (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UtJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: the diversity of the new product was exciting
Cons: worked long days, a lot of traveling
I enjoyed working with the major retail clients, managing and assisting them to grow their gift card business.
Java developer - Only AZ
Technical Lead (Former Employee), Bangalore, KAJanuary 21, 2015
Hard working,
team player,
supportive,
done work on time
Great company
fun to work
Long hours with friendly service
Customer Care Professional Presort (Former Employee), Weston, FLJanuary 21, 2015
● Knowledgeable within presort● Drives improvement and solution● Addresses problems and shares best practices● Meet team goals also processses work in a timely manner ● Accomplished Daily SLA’s
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work from home
Cons: benefits
My typical day would be logging on to the phones and assisting the customer with there needs far as balances inquiries,reviewing products and services that would save the customer time and money
Productive and flexible place to work
Sr. Team Leader (Current Employee), Gurgaon, IndiaJanuary 20, 2015
One of the best places to work! The process and department you work in obviously makes a big difference and so is the leader that you work for however the overall ethics and environment of the work place is healthy. This provides great opportunities to grow your career.
Outstanding Company
Centurion Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 19, 2015
I worked with the highest clientele in the Centurion Department. I would receive inbound calls answering any questions, make payment, disputes or offering benefits to our clients. Also had to follow up with clients either with outbound calls, emails ect.
Third team to do the same project
Senior System Software Engineer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJanuary 19, 2015
It was the third team that tried to complete the same project for the same client. Should I say anything else here?
Great company and reputed brand name
Program Manager (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 18, 2015
Nice company to work for. Not many opportunities for growth in Fort Lauderdale area. Parallel movement at director level restrict growth opportunities for individual contributors into director role. Flexible work culture. Frequent reorgs.People frequently concerned about job security.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos