American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun while it lasted
Ticketing Clerk (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 5, 2015
It was a fun place to work but the constantly changing policies and procedures were hard to keep up with. They love to lay off a block of people and then hire completely new staff to replace the ones they lay off. lol
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Pros
large company, good benifits
Amex
Corporate Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montreal, CanadaApril 29, 2013
• Responsible for arranging complex domestic and international business travel for air, car, rail, hotel, and limo
• Advised clients on efficient, multi-country routings for lowest available fares on preferred carriers as well as preferred hotels
• Ensured optimum customer servicing while coordinating interdepartmental responsibilities.
Fun workplace, interacted well with peers and managers
Customer care (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 27, 2012
This was a good experience for me as I learned a lot about the business aspect of life. American Express was a good company to work at, my peers and managers were proud to represent such a global brand. Everyone was easy-going and great to work with.
Pros
flexible hours, good managers, friendly peers
Cons
pay was average
Productive and excellent work environment
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 22, 2014
AMEX is of the best fortune 500 company in the world. This company is been in the market over 160 years with consistent reputation. This company earned JD Power award more than 6 times for service excellence and it's goodwill for highest customer experience in the world.
A great place to work and learn
Relationship Care Analyst/Coach (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioMarch 22, 2015
Throughout my tenure at American Express I have had the pleasure of working in a dynamic, fast paced environment that afforded me opportunities to learn and grow.
Productive and fun work place
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2013
Working at American Express had been a great experience. I like dealing with different type of clients and how to successfully resolve their issues and support them. Unfortunately, I was hired on a contract basis for a specific campaign, and that campaign ended.
Pros
flexibility with the schedule
Cons
have to work all weekends
American Express is a productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham OntarioApril 15, 2013
 Responded to 125+ incoming calls in a timely and professional manner; maximizing service and sales leads; researched and addressed credit card member inquiries and concerns adhering to call quality and monitoring procedures/guidelines
 Effectively handled account maintenance including credit related inquiries, authorizations, enrolment and cancellation of services
 Processed new accounts and applications, providing account, setting up billing disputes and referral to other departments as necessary
 Followed up on complaints, investigated issues with various departments
 Provided ongoing support and assistance to new staff as a buddy to ensure successful transition into new role
 Utilized needs assessment and effective persuasion skills to achieve departmental sales targets and goals
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis.
Pros
great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
Was hired for Customer Service now it is a sales job (THING5 SAINT JOHN)
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 18, 2013
I was hired and advised that there would be flexability with Thing5 in the schedules and was also told that we were not sales agents and we are there to provide extraoridnary customer service to American Express Platinum Card Members. All of the above is not true. We are rushed to finish each call, which is not giving the agents enough time to create an itinerary (some international). We as agents are held fully accountable for what Cardmembers think of AMEX. And when I say held fully responsible, you can be fired for a bad "survey" and it will predict your shift when the bids are out, shift bids last 3 months. I have never worked in a call centre in all of my working career and I think I never want to work in another one after this.
Pros
learn about the world
Cons
poor upper management, horrible hours, misleading information when hired
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markan, OnApril 4, 2013
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Pros
lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons
not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
Bad place to be a contractor
E2E Test Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 29, 2013
The only reason contractors at American Express are treated as second-class citizens is that they don't have a third class. Little to no management support: new employees / contractors must stumble around to find the resources they need.
Pros
nothing of consequence
Cons
us.vs.them attitude to contractors
cusotmer foused sales agent
Customer-Focused Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 22, 2015
over 10 years with American express Canada ,Top Employer for Toronto ,I enjoyed working with amex multicultural vision and extensive bonus structure .
US operation was moved from Canada
Excellent company to work.
Sr. IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 24, 2015
Flexible schedules.
Opportunity to learn Cutting EDGE technologies.
Globally recognized company.
Friendly colleagues, staffs & environment.
Very much enjoyed my time at American Express.
One of the finest in customer service and product improvement in the Credit Card Industry.
Subject Matter Expert / Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario, CanadaJune 30, 2014
Friendly, flexible people. world class customer service. Good benefits. Career advancement possibilities. Continuous product and service improveme
Pros
very good company culture
great work place
Inbound Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2014
Love working here..everyones so friendly and understanding and upbeat.Never a dull moment.
ven if your having a bad day as soon as you walk into work you forget your worries because you have such great team leads and co workers
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJuly 27, 2012
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
Great place to work..
Credit card analyst/csr (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 5, 2013
Colleagues were wonderful to work with.

I learned that teamwork was possible.
My supervisor was amazing.
My co-workers were /are like family
Hardest part of the job was sometimes turning irate customers around
I loved helping clients
Pros
there was a gym on site
Cons
micro managed
Productive work enviroment
Global Credit Administration (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 29, 2013
Excellent company to work for .Great team spirit, fantastic learning opportunities , Management is extremely fair. The hardest part of my job is to decline a charge once the cardmember is at the point of sale.
Pros
great team spirit, excellent management
fun workplace/acknowledges and rewards their employees
Customer Care Consultant (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 3, 2014
Interact with 90-100customers on a daily basis/fun place to work/one big happy family/bosses have open door policy/benefits and perks are excellent/it's a shame they are closing the US call center here in Canada very soon.

4.2