American Express Employee Reviews

Amex Canada
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 February 2016
Best company i have been able to be a part of!
Loved working there every day and the people were incredible.

I would recommend Amex Canada to everyone.
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markan, On4 April 2013
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Pros
lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons
not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario10 June 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
An excellent Employer
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario7 July 2015
American Express is one of the best employer I had in my career. Work is very challenging but rewarding. Management are fair and have a good program for the career advancement of their employee.
very friendly and busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 April 2015
typical day was always receiving or making calls.
I've learned to cancel and receive payments over the phone regarding customer accounts.
management was okay. Sometimes they were there to help and other times they were busy on the phone as well.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
the hardest part of the job was calling customers 8am. Sometimes calling for small change like $1.00.
the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving payments and communicating with the customers.
Pros
hour lunches and long breaks
Cons
working till midnight
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario27 July 2012
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix15 May 2014
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
Pros
culture, growth opportunity
Cons
Good
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2016
Have worked on different challenging tasks on regular basis. It was very good experience working with American Express and JP Morgan chase.
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 May 2012
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
Pros
great working atmosphere, location
Cons
not enough focus on my own development
Working hard, enjoying the job and reaping the harvest.
Fraud and Authorization Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, Ontario5 June 2013
A typical day for work would be to analyse fraudulent cases that have been set up, make out bound calls to verify charges, as well as receive calls. i would also receive inbound calls from credit and discuss with customers about their accounts that was past due and collect on them.

During my years of service i have gained knowledge and expertise to handle many challenging situations. I have learned how to motivate and work with people, i have learned to build trust and accomplish tasks in a short period of time.

I work closely with the management and submit reports when there are errors on the system and what needs to be done during that period.

Helping co-workers when they get stuck on calls, working with new hires towards success and building moral and confidence.

The hardest part of the job is to leave work at the end of the day.

The enjoyable part of the job is to know that i was able to help many customers and colleagues with their problems and also knowing that i gave my 110% at the end of each day.
Pros
Incentive Plan, Flexibility
Cons
Shift picking criteria
typical call centre work w/ pre-set goals to be achieved
Bi-Lingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 September 2014
I enjoyed achieving and surpassing sales goals. Management was appreciative of the results.
Pros
Possibility of advancement in long term
Cons
Relatively low income
Team leader operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 October 2014
American Express was a great company to work for. Management is very focused on employee development and consistently work on employee satisfaction.Company had very good work environment. Very focused on bringing the best out of Individual. Ten years working for the same company is a long time, however in ten years learnt different lines of business.
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee) –  (Not Employee)Toronto ON9 August 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
American Express is a productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham Ontario15 April 2013
 Responded to 125+ incoming calls in a timely and professional manner; maximizing service and sales leads; researched and addressed credit card member inquiries and concerns adhering to call quality and monitoring procedures/guidelines
 Effectively handled account maintenance including credit related inquiries, authorizations, enrolment and cancellation of services
 Processed new accounts and applications, providing account, setting up billing disputes and referral to other departments as necessary
 Followed up on complaints, investigated issues with various departments
 Provided ongoing support and assistance to new staff as a buddy to ensure successful transition into new role
 Utilized needs assessment and effective persuasion skills to achieve departmental sales targets and goals
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee) –  Markham,ON3 October 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
Profit Center Knowledge
Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2015
This role provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the profit center of a business. Additionally, it allowed for an expansion of my network by allowing me to work with various different stakeholder teams. I have learned as much as can be offered by the role and would like to leverage my skills within a more strategy based role.
Great people to work with
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 July 2014
I spent the last 6 years of my life working here and although there were up's and many downs the one thing that remained constant throughout my experience there was having the privilege of working with such amazing people.

If your looking for an enjoyable atmosphere thats filled with great people and hard workers than this is the place for you.
Pros
Great people, onsite gym
Cons
terrible management, under paid positions
No opportunity for advancement
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario22 August 2012
Very negitive company to entry level person's, promotion are for friends and family of upper management mostly.
I learned about customer intraction and support.
FINANCE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  MOHAN ESTATE INDUSTRIAL AREA, MATHURA ROAD, DELHI3 August 2015
Very employee oriented company.
Secured work place for women.
Fun work place with supportive management.
Personally grow and development.
Productive and fun workplace
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON14 April 2014
Financial Services Sales & Customer Relations Professional with a progressive 14+ year career at American Express, successfully selling products and services, addressing customer issues and optimizing revenue. Recognized for superior sales and customer service results through receipt of several performance awards and incentives

4.2