American Express Employee Reviews

Enjoyed work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
Everyday I Built a connection with customers and proposed different products and services based on their account history to help minimize their monthly bill and protect their financial credit
Clarified financial charges, account details and benefits to customers
Presented excellent communication & interpersonal skills for exceptional customer care
Helped company attain the highest customer service ratings
Officially commended for initiative, enthusiasm, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
Pros
environment
Cons
nothing
A great place to work with room to advance.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2013
Amex is a great place to work, especially for the ambitious employee. They encourage growth from within and provide excellent support to those with ambition. It is very much a team atmosphere and it is a pleasure to come to work every day. The benefits are oustanding as well.
Pros
work-life balance is important to this company and well supported.
Cons
some shift work, but they are quite flexible around trading with co-workers.
A very professional and friendly fast-paced environment.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONFebruary 27, 2012
I have worked at American Express for 3.5 years.It was a great experienced though there was no work and life balance.I have benefited from different trainings which helped me to increased my skill base.Overall a very good company for work for except few things.
Pros
cultural diversity, great values and friendly environment
Cons
no work and life balance, low salary and no management`s responsibility
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
very low rate
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Pros
employee benefits, global company
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee) –  Markham,ONOctober 3, 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
helping customers with their credit card inquiries
Sales and Customer service (Former Employee) –  Markham onSeptember 9, 2014
A call centre environment with irate, unintelligent and rude customers calling everyday with not a second to breathe between calls for 8 hours straight and being underappreciated and underpaid
Pros
good health and dental benefits package
Cons
terrible pay 2001 $13/hr downsized 2014 less than $20/hr plus long hours
Nice place to work
Bilingual/Out &In Bound Call Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2015
What I've learn at Amex, is how to work as a team. Enjoy working with people. the hardest part in that job, is when you have do telemarketting specially when call at the wrong time. I enjoyed working there, I love to help people. Amex is the nice place for people like me to work.
Great Company to work for
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 5, 2015
American Express is a great company to work for. I handled inbound calls for card activation. The office is big, your colleges are great and very helpful. The salary could be better.
Pros
great food at the cafeteria (even open on weekends)
Cons
n/a
customer service oriented job
Senior Travel Consultant & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBOctober 9, 2012
Answering calls and fulfilling all aspects of travel requests from company employees. Dealing with all problems and challenges that arise.
Managing difficult clients being the biggest challenge and forming lasting relationships with clients being the largest reward.
Pros
set schedule - good benefits
Cons
can be constant dealing with difficult clients
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntSeptember 17, 2014
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Pros
job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons
can't say that i would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
Productive and fun workplace
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 14, 2014
Financial Services Sales & Customer Relations Professional with a progressive 14+ year career at American Express, successfully selling products and services, addressing customer issues and optimizing revenue. Recognized for superior sales and customer service results through receipt of several performance awards and incentives
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 13, 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee) –  (Not Employee)Toronto ONAugust 9, 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
worst place
travel counsellor (Former Employee) –  MontreallOctober 6, 2012
Long hours and underpayed. Salary no competitve.
Mangament: they only promote their friends and italians and quebecois, if you are not in that category you stay junior level.
Coworkers OK, but they dont pay my bills and Amex did not either with that low salary.
No comunnicaion between management and emplyees
No comunnication with HR.
Pros
i cannot think any
Cons
salary, mangament, hours
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 4, 2012
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Pros
fun enviroment with good people
Cons
bad pay and overworked
Excellent Enviornment
Customer Care Proffesional (CCP) WTS (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 6, 2013
I have learned lot of things in American Express. People in american express are great to work with. Excellent bonding with co-workers, peers and customers. I have learned in true meaning how to provide excellent customer service. The hardest part of job was high volume of calls.
Pros
the people in amex are wonderfull
Cons
worst shifts
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Pros
large company, good benifits
Amex
Corporate Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montreal, CanadaApril 29, 2013
• Responsible for arranging complex domestic and international business travel for air, car, rail, hotel, and limo
• Advised clients on efficient, multi-country routings for lowest available fares on preferred carriers as well as preferred hotels
• Ensured optimum customer servicing while coordinating interdepartmental responsibilities.

4.2