American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
A great place to work with room to advance.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2013
Pros: work-life balance is important to this company and well supported.
Cons: some shift work, but they are quite flexible around trading with co-workers.
Amex is a great place to work, especially for the ambitious employee. They encourage growth from within and provide excellent support to those with ambition. It is very much a team atmosphere and it is a pleasure to come to work every day. The benefits are oustanding as well.
Enjoyed work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
Pros: environment
Cons: nothing
Everyday I Built a connection with customers and proposed different products and services based on their account history to help minimize their monthly bill and protect their financial credit
Clarified financial charges, account details and benefits to customers
Presented excellent communication & interpersonal skills for exceptional customer care
Helped company attain the highest customer service ratings
Officially commended for initiative, enthusiasm, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 31, 2012
Pros: 30 days, full benefits
Cons: allot of tests to pass
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there.
Busy work place and team work
Customer Service & Communication (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: learning opportunity, team work
Cons: no time limit
The overall day is always under stick schedules. Communication with the customers/business partners, communication with the solution team, attending the schedules meeting, coordination with the co-workers, addressing the development and reporting and maintaining priorities.
The hardest part of the job is rescheduling of meeting as the days are defined with each days work and accommodating a new schedule is a challenge.
The most enjoyable part is the team work and achievement of success.
High Level Customer Service
Dispute Analyst (Former Employee), MarkhamOctober 30, 2012
Pros: opportunities to learn new skills
Cons: unstable workload
Being able to help consumers resolve conflicts with merchants is very rewarding. I enjoyed training new hires the tasks and processes for the disputes business. The hardest part of the job is dealing with heavy workloads when the department downsized. The most enjoyable part of this job was working on special projects and helping employees when I was an ergonomic captain for the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Markham, ON / Phoenix, ArizonaMay 19, 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
A very professional and friendly fast-paced environment.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Toronto,ONFebruary 27, 2012
Pros: cultural diversity, great values and friendly environment
Cons: no work and life balance, low salary and no management`s responsibility
I have worked at American Express for 3.5 years.It was a great experienced though there was no work and life balance.I have benefited from different trainings which helped me to increased my skill base.Overall a very good company for work for except few things.
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
Productive and fun workplace
Business Development Executive (Current Employee), Markham, ONApril 14, 2014
Financial Services Sales & Customer Relations Professional with a progressive 14+ year career at American Express, successfully selling products and services, addressing customer issues and optimizing revenue. Recognized for superior sales and customer service results through receipt of several performance awards and incentives
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee), Markham,ONOctober 3, 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee), Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Pros: employee benefits, global company
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 13, 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
customer service oriented job
Senior Travel Consultant & Trainer (Former Employee), Saint John, NBOctober 9, 2012
Pros: set schedule - good benefits
Cons: can be constant dealing with difficult clients
Answering calls and fulfilling all aspects of travel requests from company employees. Dealing with all problems and challenges that arise.
Managing difficult clients being the biggest challenge and forming lasting relationships with clients being the largest reward.
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee), (Not Employee)Toronto ONAugust 9, 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
worst place
travel counsellor (Former Employee), MontreallOctober 6, 2012
Pros: i cannot think any
Cons: salary, mangament, hours
Long hours and underpayed. Salary no competitve.
Mangament: they only promote their friends and italians and quebecois, if you are not in that category you stay junior level.
Coworkers OK, but they dont pay my bills and Amex did not either with that low salary.
No comunnicaion between management and emplyees
No comunnication with HR.
great work place
Inbound Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2014
Love working here..everyones so friendly and understanding and upbeat.Never a dull moment.
ven if your having a bad day as soon as you walk into work you forget your worries because you have such great team leads and co workers
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: fun enviroment with good people
Cons: bad pay and overworked
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Excellent Enviornment
Customer Care Proffesional (CCP) WTS (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: the people in amex are wonderfull
Cons: worst shifts
I have learned lot of things in American Express. People in american express are great to work with. Excellent bonding with co-workers, peers and customers. I have learned in true meaning how to provide excellent customer service. The hardest part of job was high volume of calls.
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Pros: large company, good benifits
Cons: long hours
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Headquarters