American Express

American Express Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
everything was good
Team Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKAugust 20, 2012
Pros: great benefits
Cons: none that i am aware of
I loved American Express it was just time for a change. The people were great
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee), Burlington, ONJuly 31, 2012
Pros: 30 days, full benefits
Cons: allot of tests to pass
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people – more... did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there. – less
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioJuly 27, 2012
Pros: great work/life balance
Cons: company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation – more... calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue. – less
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee), Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Pros: employee benefits, global company
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Pros: large company, good benifits
Cons: long hours
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Overall a great company to work for
Bilingual Fraud Specialist (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 4, 2012
Pros: hire's from within
Cons: far from the city
It is a very stable company, offers great potentials for internal advancements
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Markham, ON / Phoenix, ArizonaMay 19, 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the – more... job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups. – less
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 9, 2012
Pros: great working atmosphere, location
Cons: not enough focus on my own development
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads – more... together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed. – less
Good travel benefits if you can last
Travel Counselor (Former Employee), MIramar floridaAugust 18, 2014
Pros: good travel benfits
Cons: no job security and no union .
I worked in travel department and I loved the job , but their was no respect to how long you have been with the company. Employees with many years were let go if their sales weren't meet over a two month peroid. This company needs a union CWA very badly . Most of management do not have degrees either.
fun place to work
Team Supervisor credit corporate (Former Employee), bahrainAugust 18, 2014
Pros: eye glass bonus
learn alot of staff , add value to my job experinacen Team Supervisor credit corporate - analyzing, reporting, and controlling the market risk exposure across AEME. Reporting corporate Risk flow MIS and Coverage to monitor overall risk profiles for corporate product .

measures and understand the risk profile of various Legal Entities, specifically – more... Value at Risk (and Stress testing and help improve the reports and infrastructure used to examine the firm's Legal Entity specific risk. develop technical skills in Excel and Access to succeed in the role. – less
Respected company to work for
Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Miami and Jacksonville,FLAugust 16, 2014
Call center environment. Some of the best management I have worked with and some of the worst. Greatest part of the job was working with celebrities and respected professionals. The hardest part of the job was being behind a phone only and being timed to hurry off of the phone. Also customers were not allowed to request you again as their personal agent. – more... They were required to speak to whomever was available their next call. – less
Excellent Business to work for.
Customer service - Receive incoming calls (Former Employee), Phoenix, AzAugust 16, 2014
Pros: nice atmosphere
Cons: n/a
Would love to work full time until my retirement. Co-worker are very very helpful.
Good
Java Technical Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 13, 2014
• 8.5 years of professional experience in full life cycle system development involving analysis, design, implementation, maintenance and support of application software in Web-based and Client/Server environment.
• Work Extensively in Java, Struts, and spring, Servlets, JSP, JSTL and Java Beans.
• Hands-on experience with J2EE (JDBC, Servlets, JSP, – more... Struts), JAVA, XML, SOAP, Maven and Java Script. – less
Great company with a very welcoming and fun environment
Customer Care Professional (Current Employee), Plantation, FLAugust 13, 2014
At American Express, there are so many opportunities for advancement. You must be willing to be open-minded and learn and to accept that you have a lot of growth that can be done if you really apply the feedback given by the many team leaders, coaches, and peers. The people who work at American Express are always willing to help each other out and work – more... together as a team to accomplish one goal of being the best customer service team of all major credit card companies, earning us the JD Power and Associates award seven years consecutively. I would recommend working for this amazing company to all of my closest friends. – less
Laid back fun environment
Consumer Welcome Card Service (Current Employee), Columbus, OHAugust 13, 2014
Pros: alot of give aways and fun environment
Cons: banking regulations change weekly
Very great place to work. Typical workdays are quick and fun. Management is always visible, and have a open door policy so if you have problems its ok to talk to them. Very good pay and benefits. Very good bonus structure.
Technical Lead (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZAugust 12, 2014
Pros: free accomodation, free lunch
Cons: short breaks
CCSG (Consumer card service group) targets individual customers in the U.S. markets. CCSG is responsible for developing, marketing and servicing all aspects of charge and lending card products of American Express in the United States. CCSG services are grouped according to customer status, i.e. existing card members, new card members, or card members – more... eligible for an upgrade. CCSG offers services to three financial streams namely: Credit Cards, Charge Cards and Partner Cards. OPEN Cards targets for Corporate/Business cards.
CCSG App Redesign DTW/UA: Redesign and integrate DTW Prescreened and Non Pre- Selected applications flows for CCSG card products. The appearance of the Re-designed UIs should be reflective of the AMEX brand image and should match the existing Redesign experience for CCSG prospect flow. Existing Microsite login pages, Decode pages, upsell pages will need to be integrated as part of Redesign.
CCSG App REDESIGN (App Transformation): The objective of this project is to provide a new user interface for prospect and already card member customers applying for the American Express Cards. Digitals, a third party team, will provide the UI and back end functionality is developed using spring web flow with struts integration. The technologies used for development are spring web flow struts Json and Ajax. This application will be hosted on the WAS 6 server.

My role is Senior Java Developer and Technical lead.
• Involved in analysis, design and development, testing phases of application.
• Interaction with client team to understand business requirements and develop the System design and involved in technical discussions, design reviews with Architects.
• Involved actively in frequent calls with business to gather requirements from the client and analyze the technical feasibility
• Worked on Struts ,Spring MVC and spring web flow framework to build web applications
• Used different types of J2EE design patterns like Front Controller, MVC and DAO.
• Developed the User Interface Screens for presentation using JSP, JSTL, HTML and Java Script.
• Worked on complete life cycle, design, development and testing using OOA and OOD.
• Worked on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Low level JQuery tasks handle the front end requirements.
• User java design patterns like Singleton, Factory patterns
• SOAP based web services and exposed and also consumed the services
• Used JUnit for Unit testing the application.
• Deployed code on WAS servers using UNIX commands
• Implemented Log4J for Logging Errors, debugging and tracking.
• Delivered many successful projects which involved analyzing requirements from the client design the architecture and developing complex business logic
• Lead a team of 5 people to deliver projects which changed the entire architecture of all online American Express personal card application (prospect, card member and rsvp)
• Actively involved in solving the production defects on priority bases.
• Provided the post production support and actively responded to customer calls and emails.
• Received client accolades and appreciations on several occasions – less
Fun place to work
Account Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Gurgaon, HRAugust 11, 2014
Pros: best work life
Cons: no problems
an amazing organisation to work, ive learned alot of skills while working with this organisation , was an amazing experiece
Senior dispute analyst.
Senior Dispute Analyst (Former Employee), IndiaAugust 11, 2014
Pros: incentives.
Cons: shift timings.
Dealing with the disputes raised by the Amex card holders.
Analyzing the dispute type and categorizing them.
Going through the card history of the merchant and the Card Member.
Inspecting the dispute as per Amex policies. Establishing a merchant or a Card Member contact & requesting them to send in the concerned documents.
stable
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIAugust 11, 2014
Since this was through a contracted company there were some limitations that were a little different from being in the corporate office. The opportunity to become a fully licensed insurance agent it invaluable.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos