American Express Employee Reviews

fast paste and productive
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, on23 March 2015
weekly goals to be made and to exceed

very fast paste and energetic

awesome company to work for

top benefits
always some sort of incentives and presents for the workers
Pros
free lunch / free hotel stays
The company is walking backward
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2016
Company is more on budget / $ side and did not care much about the employees value. They rather contracting out to offshore without considering the quality of services. American Express of Canada will never be the same as in the old office of Markham.
American Express Summer Intern Program
Summer Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 April 2016
Extremely educational
Well paced
Well structured
Lots of diverse opportunities
Learn about the business environment
Learn about the differnt fields necessary
Lots of seminars available
Overall amazing working environment
Good work environment
Application Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 May 2016
1> Managing different people with different cultures.
2> International work experience.
3> Managing challenges in the projects.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
sales consultant
Senior Travel Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 May 2016
taking calls from corporate clients and arranging travel related services for them.
it was always a challanging job as most corporate travel needs were last minute and had to look at various contracts and details
Very Professional
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 November 2014
Always care about the employees welfare. Compensation and benefits are beyond comparison.
Was hired for Customer Service now it is a sales job (THING5 SAINT JOHN)
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2013
I was hired and advised that there would be flexability with Thing5 in the schedules and was also told that we were not sales agents and we are there to provide extraoridnary customer service to American Express Platinum Card Members. All of the above is not true. We are rushed to finish each call, which is not giving the agents enough time to create an itinerary (some international). We as agents are held fully accountable for what Cardmembers think of AMEX. And when I say held fully responsible, you can be fired for a bad "survey" and it will predict your shift when the bids are out, shift bids last 3 months. I have never worked in a call centre in all of my working career and I think I never want to work in another one after this.
Pros
learn about the world
Cons
poor upper management, horrible hours, misleading information when hired
everything was good
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK20 August 2012
I loved American Express it was just time for a change. The people were great
Pros
great benefits
Cons
none that i am aware of
Good pay
CALL CENTRE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
okay to work for, wage is higher than most call centres. Training is a bit short for the amount of work needed. Must take good notes in training. Also training class too big to really absorb information.
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growthI had very good relationship with management an
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Ottawa and Calgary10 February 2016
company is very fair to its employees and remuneration is good. Very good company for employee's growth had very good relationship with management and my peers.
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 January 2014
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina.
Pros
Subsidized Food
Cons
sharing Headsets
Old location was huge and free parking was a bonus
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Overall a pleasant place to work. People are generally friendly and the job is challenging enough. Plenty of opportunity to learn from different departments and gain leadership.
Upgrading servers and client machines
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2016
We were upgrading client machines and some servers, Deployed windows on the clients, we deployed windows 8. Some servers we had to upgrade from Server 2003 to 2008.
easy going place
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2016
good employer, and awesome teammates. sales bonus is great! good management, and sometimes high call volume which is good for making sales and earning bonus more money in the bank.
Sales job with lots of independence and responsibility
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Airport20 July 2015
A typical day at work is using sales tactics to stop people in the Ottawa airport and convince them to use American Express cards. I learned how to talk and deal with many different kinds of people. Management was constantly monitoring our sales and checking to see everything was running smoothly each week. The co-workers were nice people and were team players, which is great for everyone. The hardest part of the job was stopping people in the airport since a low amount of people dislike being confronted by strangers. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people and the amount of freedom with the job. I love meeting and talking to new people, which allowed the job to be fun.
Great place to work!
High Value Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, Toronto13 April 2014
American Express being one of the world's best known brands is a great place to work. The training they provide and the job culture they promote are one of the best in the business world. You are always taught to be decisive and have an open mind about ways you conduct business with customers.

Also it offers one of the best work environment with a healthy work life balance and plenty of challenges which allows you to thrive and grow.
Pros
Fun challenging environment
Cons
May have to work weekends and holidays
Collecting on Past due account
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 February 2016
• Made profitable spending decisions based on risk assessment and card member profile
• Negotiated effectively with customers, discussed alternate payment arrangements and repayment plans for customers in financial difficulties
• Recommended cancellations, or suspended spending privileges where required, and communicated these actions to customers
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ont17 September 2014
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Pros
Job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons
Can't say that I would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
Great Place to work
Relationship Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2015
Great place to work over the past 15 years. My manager is also my mentor . He has provided guidance and constructive feedback which has allowed me to grow within the company. I have built long lasting relationships with co-workers both here in Canada and also while travelling internationally on a work assignment. I have to admit the most enjoyable part of the job are the people and I always strive to learn something new and welcome change . I view that as another challenge and a great accomplishment once my goal is achieved. Overall this company has allowed me to learn so much about myself and all that I can offer.
Not a happy place to work
Corporate Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, on24 August 2014
Management allow the Leads to be rude and disrespectful to the agents. Favoritism is show to people of their own decent, also with them moving back to the USA they clearly do not care about work life balance. I have worked 16hrs straight without even a thank you. If you are looking for a safe place to work do not go here.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long hour, Rude Management, old computers etc

4.2