American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

It was not the job for me
Corporate Travel Agent/Ticketing Agent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BCJuly 24, 2015
I would come in and answer calls all day long and book travel. It was not a personable job, and I did not like that we could not work on building relationships with clients.
Pros
Cons
very impersonable
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markan, OnApril 4, 2013
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Pros
lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons
not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJuly 27, 2012
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
Team leader operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 19, 2014
American Express was a great company to work for. Management is very focused on employee development and consistently work on employee satisfaction.Company had very good work environment. Very focused on bringing the best out of Individual. Ten years working for the same company is a long time, however in ten years learnt different lines of business.
Great Company to work for
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 5, 2015
American Express is a great company to work for. I handled inbound calls for card activation. The office is big, your colleges are great and very helpful. The salary could be better.
Pros
great food at the cafeteria (even open on weekends)
Cons
n/a
fast paste and productive
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  hamilton, onMarch 23, 2015
weekly goals to be made and to exceed

very fast paste and energetic

awesome company to work for

top benefits
always some sort of incentives and presents for the workers
Pros
free lunch / free hotel stays
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2012
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
Pros
great working atmosphere, location
Cons
not enough focus on my own development
Enjoyed work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
Everyday I Built a connection with customers and proposed different products and services based on their account history to help minimize their monthly bill and protect their financial credit
Clarified financial charges, account details and benefits to customers
Presented excellent communication & interpersonal skills for exceptional customer care
Helped company attain the highest customer service ratings
Officially commended for initiative, enthusiasm, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
Pros
environment
Cons
nothing
No opportunity for advancement
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioAugust 22, 2012
Very negitive company to entry level person's, promotion are for friends and family of upper management mostly.
great place to work
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 2, 2014
It was a great pleasure working for these companies. The work day was as any other day. Management was very good to us. My co-workers was friendly and kind. The hardest part of the job was sometimes talking to business owners about their credit reports. The
most enjoyable part of the day was when I help someone .
Working hard, enjoying the job and reaping the harvest.
Fraud and Authorization Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, OntarioJune 5, 2013
A typical day for work would be to analyse fraudulent cases that have been set up, make out bound calls to verify charges, as well as receive calls. i would also receive inbound calls from credit and discuss with customers about their accounts that was past due and collect on them.

During my years of service i have gained knowledge and expertise to handle many challenging situations. I have learned how to motivate and work with people, i have learned to build trust and accomplish tasks in a short period of time.

I work closely with the management and submit reports when there are errors on the system and what needs to be done during that period.

Helping co-workers when they get stuck on calls, working with new hires towards success and building moral and confidence.

The hardest part of the job is to leave work at the end of the day.

The enjoyable part of the job is to know that i was able to help many customers and colleagues with their problems and also knowing that i gave my 110% at the end of each day.
Pros
incentive plan, flexibility
Cons
shift picking criteria
Great people to work with
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 9, 2014
I spent the last 6 years of my life working here and although there were up's and many downs the one thing that remained constant throughout my experience there was having the privilege of working with such amazing people.

If your looking for an enjoyable atmosphere thats filled with great people and hard workers than this is the place for you.
Pros
great people, onsite gym
Cons
terrible management, under paid positions
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Pros
employee benefits, global company
Productive and fun workplace
Business Development Executive (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONApril 14, 2014
Financial Services Sales & Customer Relations Professional with a progressive 14+ year career at American Express, successfully selling products and services, addressing customer issues and optimizing revenue. Recognized for superior sales and customer service results through receipt of several performance awards and incentives
customer service oriented job
Senior Travel Consultant & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBOctober 9, 2012
Answering calls and fulfilling all aspects of travel requests from company employees. Dealing with all problems and challenges that arise.
Managing difficult clients being the biggest challenge and forming lasting relationships with clients being the largest reward.
Pros
set schedule - good benefits
Cons
can be constant dealing with difficult clients
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 13, 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
Bad place to be a contractor
E2E Test Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 29, 2013
The only reason contractors at American Express are treated as second-class citizens is that they don't have a third class. Little to no management support: new employees / contractors must stumble around to find the resources they need.
Pros
nothing of consequence
Cons
us.vs.them attitude to contractors
A great place to work and learn
Relationship Care Analyst/Coach (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntarioMarch 22, 2015
Throughout my tenure at American Express I have had the pleasure of working in a dynamic, fast paced environment that afforded me opportunities to learn and grow.
Workshops and numerous opportunities for promotion
Business Travel Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMarch 25, 2015
Reservations for corporate clients, air, car, hotels. Enjoyed workshops to better my chances of a better pay scale, bonuses and travel. Worked in team environment with great success.
Pros
travel
Cons
rapidly changing travel environment

4.2