American Express Employee Reviews

easy going place
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2016
good employer, and awesome teammates. sales bonus is great! good management, and sometimes high call volume which is good for making sales and earning bonus more money in the bank.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 August 2013
Learned many techniques about customer inquires and problem solving. Company's culture and benefits were the great. Management was not very strong in terms of taking immediate decisions.
Good pay
CALL CENTRE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
okay to work for, wage is higher than most call centres. Training is a bit short for the amount of work needed. Must take good notes in training. Also training class too big to really absorb information.
An excellent Employer
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario7 July 2015
American Express is one of the best employer I had in my career. Work is very challenging but rewarding. Management are fair and have a good program for the career advancement of their employee.
Old location was huge and free parking was a bonus
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Overall a pleasant place to work. People are generally friendly and the job is challenging enough. Plenty of opportunity to learn from different departments and gain leadership.
Not a happy place to work
Corporate Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, on24 August 2014
Management allow the Leads to be rude and disrespectful to the agents. Favoritism is show to people of their own decent, also with them moving back to the USA they clearly do not care about work life balance. I have worked 16hrs straight without even a thank you. If you are looking for a safe place to work do not go here.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long hour, Rude Management, old computers etc
Awesome worklife balance and great flexibility. Amazing benefits and a fun place to work.
Manager, Customer Service and Relationship Care (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario, Canada19 November 2013
• A typical day consisted of working with team of highly motivated customer service focused employees. Sometimes, working with SME's to ensure employees transition back into some of their roles seamlessly when necessary. Sometimes training employees to deliver optimum service.

I motivated, coached and inspire employees into delivering the best service possible while keeping them focused and engaged. It was important for me to create goals and development plans and guided my direct reports in acquiring the roles they set out for themselves in a timely manner.

• Most enjoyable part of my job was always working with my team and celebrating their successes. As a company we would engage in an annual Diversity Day celebration where diverse culture would showcase their national heritage and arts. It was such a wonderful feeling to be a part of such a Multicultural such organization that cared about their employees and demonstrated it with such pride.

It was great to have worked for The World Most Respected Service Brand! AMERICAN EXPRESS INC.,
Pros
Great pay, Awesome benefits and honestly the best company Ive ever worked for
Cons
Upgrading servers and client machines
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2016
We were upgrading client machines and some servers, Deployed windows on the clients, we deployed windows 8. Some servers we had to upgrade from Server 2003 to 2008.
helping customers with their credit card inquiries
Sales and Customer service (Former Employee) –  Markham on9 September 2014
A call centre environment with irate, unintelligent and rude customers calling everyday with not a second to breathe between calls for 8 hours straight and being underappreciated and underpaid
Pros
good health and dental benefits package
Cons
terrible pay 2001 $13/hr downsized 2014 less than $20/hr plus long hours
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix15 May 2014
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
Pros
culture, growth opportunity
no comment
Senior travel counselor Corporate travel (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2015
work from home , low employee morale , have meant some great people but now being forced to work weekends so work life balance is no longer present
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ont17 September 2014
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Pros
Job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons
Can't say that I would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
Collecting on Past due account
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 February 2016
• Made profitable spending decisions based on risk assessment and card member profile
• Negotiated effectively with customers, discussed alternate payment arrangements and repayment plans for customers in financial difficulties
• Recommended cancellations, or suspended spending privileges where required, and communicated these actions to customers
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markan, On4 April 2013
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Pros
lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons
not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario10 June 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario27 July 2012
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
Great Place to work
Relationship Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2015
Great place to work over the past 15 years. My manager is also my mentor . He has provided guidance and constructive feedback which has allowed me to grow within the company. I have built long lasting relationships with co-workers both here in Canada and also while travelling internationally on a work assignment. I have to admit the most enjoyable part of the job are the people and I always strive to learn something new and welcome change . I view that as another challenge and a great accomplishment once my goal is achieved. Overall this company has allowed me to learn so much about myself and all that I can offer.
very friendly and busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 April 2015
typical day was always receiving or making calls.
I've learned to cancel and receive payments over the phone regarding customer accounts.
management was okay. Sometimes they were there to help and other times they were busy on the phone as well.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
the hardest part of the job was calling customers 8am. Sometimes calling for small change like $1.00.
the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving payments and communicating with the customers.
Pros
hour lunches and long breaks
Cons
working till midnight
typical call centre work w/ pre-set goals to be achieved
Bi-Lingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON11 September 2014
I enjoyed achieving and surpassing sales goals. Management was appreciative of the results.
Pros
Possibility of advancement in long term
Cons
Relatively low income
My Life at Amex
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 May 2012
Going to work was a joy for me. Being in a leadership role truly gave me a sense of "belong" where I had the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals by showing them their potential and helping them believe in themselves; elevating their confidence. Seeing the glass have full instead of half empty all the time. Putting our heads together..myself and my coworkers were a team. We tried to do things collaboratively and shared best practices for the betterment of the business. Understanding the company's vision from management and being able to carry this out to my team and break it down so they can understand the big picture is something that management always looks for. How effectively can you influence your people to get the best out of them. The hardest part of my job was keeping the momentum going without losing myself in the process. You'll never have the team 100%...but I belive in the 80/20 rule. Focus on those who are willing to work hard for you and who are driving results...and keep them motivated. Those who aren't...identify issues and put an action plan in place...if necessary performance manage. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see the growth and development of people whether it be mini break throughs or huge milestones...it's a gift that I give which is the giving of myself to others to see them succeed.
Pros
great working atmosphere, location
Cons
not enough focus on my own development

4.2