American Express Employee Reviews

Sales job with lots of independence and responsibility
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Airport20 July 2015
A typical day at work is using sales tactics to stop people in the Ottawa airport and convince them to use American Express cards. I learned how to talk and deal with many different kinds of people. Management was constantly monitoring our sales and checking to see everything was running smoothly each week. The co-workers were nice people and were team players, which is great for everyone. The hardest part of the job was stopping people in the airport since a low amount of people dislike being confronted by strangers. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people and the amount of freedom with the job. I love meeting and talking to new people, which allowed the job to be fun.
Amex Canada
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 February 2016
Best company i have been able to be a part of!
Loved working there every day and the people were incredible.

I would recommend Amex Canada to everyone.
Very Professional
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 November 2014
Always care about the employees welfare. Compensation and benefits are beyond comparison.
Was hired for Customer Service now it is a sales job (THING5 SAINT JOHN)
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2013
I was hired and advised that there would be flexability with Thing5 in the schedules and was also told that we were not sales agents and we are there to provide extraoridnary customer service to American Express Platinum Card Members. All of the above is not true. We are rushed to finish each call, which is not giving the agents enough time to create an itinerary (some international). We as agents are held fully accountable for what Cardmembers think of AMEX. And when I say held fully responsible, you can be fired for a bad "survey" and it will predict your shift when the bids are out, shift bids last 3 months. I have never worked in a call centre in all of my working career and I think I never want to work in another one after this.
Pros
learn about the world
Cons
poor upper management, horrible hours, misleading information when hired
everything was good
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK20 August 2012
I loved American Express it was just time for a change. The people were great
Pros
great benefits
Cons
none that i am aware of
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 January 2014
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina.
Pros
Subsidized Food
Cons
sharing Headsets
Good
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2016
Have worked on different challenging tasks on regular basis. It was very good experience working with American Express and JP Morgan chase.
Great place to work!
High Value Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, Toronto13 April 2014
American Express being one of the world's best known brands is a great place to work. The training they provide and the job culture they promote are one of the best in the business world. You are always taught to be decisive and have an open mind about ways you conduct business with customers.

Also it offers one of the best work environment with a healthy work life balance and plenty of challenges which allows you to thrive and grow.
Pros
Fun challenging environment
Cons
May have to work weekends and holidays
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ont17 September 2014
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Pros
Job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons
Can't say that I would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
An excellent Employer
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario7 July 2015
American Express is one of the best employer I had in my career. Work is very challenging but rewarding. Management are fair and have a good program for the career advancement of their employee.
Not a happy place to work
Corporate Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, on24 August 2014
Management allow the Leads to be rude and disrespectful to the agents. Favoritism is show to people of their own decent, also with them moving back to the USA they clearly do not care about work life balance. I have worked 16hrs straight without even a thank you. If you are looking for a safe place to work do not go here.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Long hour, Rude Management, old computers etc
very friendly and busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 April 2015
typical day was always receiving or making calls.
I've learned to cancel and receive payments over the phone regarding customer accounts.
management was okay. Sometimes they were there to help and other times they were busy on the phone as well.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
the hardest part of the job was calling customers 8am. Sometimes calling for small change like $1.00.
the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving payments and communicating with the customers.
Pros
hour lunches and long breaks
Cons
working till midnight
Profit Center Knowledge
Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2015
This role provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the profit center of a business. Additionally, it allowed for an expansion of my network by allowing me to work with various different stakeholder teams. I have learned as much as can be offered by the role and would like to leverage my skills within a more strategy based role.
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON / Phoenix, Arizona19 May 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee) –  Markan, On4 April 2013
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Pros
lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons
not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario10 June 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
A very dynamic and diversified place to work
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario27 July 2012
I have always enjoyed working for American Express and was constantly challenged with new paths as I grew my career over the years I worked there.

I would work there again.
Pros
great work/life balance
Cons
company may be a bit slow moving towards newer technologies
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix15 May 2014
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
Pros
culture, growth opportunity
Cons
I learned about customer intraction and support.
FINANCE ANALYST (Former Employee) –  MOHAN ESTATE INDUSTRIAL AREA, MATHURA ROAD, DELHI3 August 2015
Very employee oriented company.
Secured work place for women.
Fun work place with supportive management.
Personally grow and development.
Excellent workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Canada6 October 2015
Amex is an excellent organisation to work for. An ideal corporate that values its employees.

Flexible and employee centric
Pros
Flexible
Cons
N/A

4.2