American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
One year Intern at American Express
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioJune 10, 2013
Amex Canada is definitely a fun and challenging place to work at. With the "open-door" policy, you are welcomed to chat with anyone in the company, at anytime of the day. That is, from CEO to VP to directors and managers, you are invited to share your thoughts and personal opinions freely here. The crews are a group of motivated financial experts and/or technical experts and it's really beneficial working with them. The company also participated in a various social events and encourage its employees to do the same, such as big bike, the walk for breast cancer, and numerous other charity events. Sometimes after work entertainments are being held. Summerlicious, bowling, and dine out are all examples.
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee), Markham,ONOctober 3, 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process.
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
Pros: good work life balance
Cons: very low rate
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Productive and fun place to work with Employee perks
Implementation & Project Analyst (Current Employee), Markham OntarioJune 19, 2012
Pros: employee benefits, global company
Working at American Express is a fast pace great place to learn and is well positioned globally.

I've managed and implemented several projects and software dealing with internal and external business units.

Working with a diverse group of people has taught me to take in as much learning experiances from them as possible.
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 13, 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
customer service oriented job
Senior Travel Consultant & Trainer (Former Employee), Saint John, NBOctober 9, 2012
Pros: set schedule - good benefits
Cons: can be constant dealing with difficult clients
Answering calls and fulfilling all aspects of travel requests from company employees. Dealing with all problems and challenges that arise.
Managing difficult clients being the biggest challenge and forming lasting relationships with clients being the largest reward.
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee), (Not Employee)Toronto ONAugust 9, 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it.
system admin
Systems Administrator / IT Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2015
Help desk specialist
enthusiastic
Hard working
worst place
travel counsellor (Former Employee), MontreallOctober 6, 2012
Pros: i cannot think any
Cons: salary, mangament, hours
Long hours and underpayed. Salary no competitve.
Mangament: they only promote their friends and italians and quebecois, if you are not in that category you stay junior level.
Coworkers OK, but they dont pay my bills and Amex did not either with that low salary.
No comunnicaion between management and emplyees
No comunnication with HR.
Excellent Enviornment
Customer Care Proffesional (CCP) WTS (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: the people in amex are wonderfull
Cons: worst shifts
I have learned lot of things in American Express. People in american express are great to work with. Excellent bonding with co-workers, peers and customers. I have learned in true meaning how to provide excellent customer service. The hardest part of job was high volume of calls.
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 4, 2012
Pros: fun enviroment with good people
Cons: bad pay and overworked
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Pros: large company, good benifits
Cons: long hours
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Amex
Corporate Travel Specialist (Former Employee), Montreal, CanadaApril 29, 2013
• Responsible for arranging complex domestic and international business travel for air, car, rail, hotel, and limo
• Advised clients on efficient, multi-country routings for lowest available fares on preferred carriers as well as preferred hotels
• Ensured optimum customer servicing while coordinating interdepartmental responsibilities.
Fun workplace, interacted well with peers and managers
Customer care (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 27, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, good managers, friendly peers
Cons: pay was average
This was a good experience for me as I learned a lot about the business aspect of life. American Express was a good company to work at, my peers and managers were proud to represent such a global brand. Everyone was easy-going and great to work with.
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis.
Productive and fun work place
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2013
Pros: flexibility with the schedule
Cons: have to work all weekends
Working at American Express had been a great experience. I like dealing with different type of clients and how to successfully resolve their issues and support them. Unfortunately, I was hired on a contract basis for a specific campaign, and that campaign ended.
American Express is a productive workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham OntarioApril 15, 2013
 Responded to 125+ incoming calls in a timely and professional manner; maximizing service and sales leads; researched and addressed credit card member inquiries and concerns adhering to call quality and monitoring procedures/guidelines
 Effectively handled account maintenance including credit related inquiries, authorizations, enrolment and cancellation of services
 Processed new accounts and applications, providing account, setting up billing disputes and referral to other departments as necessary
 Followed up on complaints, investigated issues with various departments
 Provided ongoing support and assistance to new staff as a buddy to ensure successful transition into new role
 Utilized needs assessment and effective persuasion skills to achieve departmental sales targets and goals
Bad place to be a contractor
E2E Test Manager (Contract) (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: nothing of consequence
Cons: us.vs.them attitude to contractors
The only reason contractors at American Express are treated as second-class citizens is that they don't have a third class. Little to no management support: new employees / contractors must stumble around to find the resources they need.
My team was fun to work with and we show appreciation by having pot luck lunches and games.
Bank Specialist (Former Employee), Markan, OnApril 4, 2013
Pros: lottery tickets and pizza lunches for excellent work done by the team or individually
Cons: not able to log off the phone when time to go for lunch, or at the end of the shift if the caller takes longer that usual.
Interacting with the public was satisfying when they are happy at the end of a call.
I learned to probe effectively to identify appropriate solution and to
Understand and acknowledge customers needs
Make the customers feel respected and valued.

Management was up to date with the needs of the staff and customers

My co-workers were more like family than employees. The hardest part of the job was when I was not able to help a customer on that one call eg. customer is on vacation and card is lost/stolen and the most enjoyable part of the job was know that my co workers and customers are happy and satisfied.
Gatestone
Collector Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2014
I worked for Gatestone Co but specifically for American Express US. There is so much that I can say but it would all be negative so i will not; it takes guts and a strong back bone to work there for a long period of time and not many people will have that.
Headquarters