American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

Was hired for Customer Service now it is a sales job (THING5 SAINT JOHN)
Travel Counselor (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 18, 2013
I was hired and advised that there would be flexability with Thing5 in the schedules and was also told that we were not sales agents and we are there to provide extraoridnary customer service to American Express Platinum Card Members. All of the above is not true. We are rushed to finish each call, which is not giving the agents enough time to create an itinerary (some international). We as agents are held fully accountable for what Cardmembers think of AMEX. And when I say held fully responsible, you can be fired for a bad "survey" and it will predict your shift when the bids are out, shift bids last 3 months. I have never worked in a call centre in all of my working career and I think I never want to work in another one after this.
Pros
learn about the world
Cons
poor upper management, horrible hours, misleading information when hired
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 29, 2014
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina.
Pros
subsidized food
Cons
sharing headsets
worst place
travel counsellor (Former Employee) –  MontreallOctober 6, 2012
Long hours and underpayed. Salary no competitve.
Mangament: they only promote their friends and italians and quebecois, if you are not in that category you stay junior level.
Coworkers OK, but they dont pay my bills and Amex did not either with that low salary.
No comunnicaion between management and emplyees
No comunnication with HR.
Pros
i cannot think any
Cons
salary, mangament, hours
Call center environment
Full Time, Inbound Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 6, 2012
Amex is a company that values intelligence. Casual atmosphere mostly. Management were professional.
I did enjoy the environement. Co-workers were professional.
Hardest part of the job was the hours. and the most enjoable part of the job was interaction with customers.
Pros
large company, good benifits
Excellent workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, CanadaOctober 6, 2015
Amex is an excellent organisation to work for. An ideal corporate that values its employees.

Flexible and employee centric
Pros
Flexible
Cons
N/A
Great place to work!
High Value Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, TorontoApril 13, 2014
American Express being one of the world's best known brands is a great place to work. The training they provide and the job culture they promote are one of the best in the business world. You are always taught to be decisive and have an open mind about ways you conduct business with customers.

Also it offers one of the best work environment with a healthy work life balance and plenty of challenges which allows you to thrive and grow.
Pros
fun challenging environment
Cons
may have to work weekends and holidays
One of the finest in customer service and product improvement in the Credit Card Industry.
Subject Matter Expert / Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario, CanadaJune 30, 2014
Friendly, flexible people. world class customer service. Good benefits. Career advancement possibilities. Continuous product and service improveme
Pros
very good company culture
A very professional and friendly fast-paced environment.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONFebruary 27, 2012
I have worked at American Express for 3.5 years.It was a great experienced though there was no work and life balance.I have benefited from different trainings which helped me to increased my skill base.Overall a very good company for work for except few things.
Pros
cultural diversity, great values and friendly environment
Cons
no work and life balance, low salary and no management`s responsibility
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON / Phoenix, ArizonaMay 19, 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
A great place to work with room to advance.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2013
Amex is a great place to work, especially for the ambitious employee. They encourage growth from within and provide excellent support to those with ambition. It is very much a team atmosphere and it is a pleasure to come to work every day. The benefits are oustanding as well.
Pros
work-life balance is important to this company and well supported.
Cons
some shift work, but they are quite flexible around trading with co-workers.
Great environment to work. Great culture and values
Strategic Analyst / Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 2, 2013
Great place to work. Veyr flexible. Great benefits and good culture. Only issue is hard for advancement opportunities. Great Leadership structure.
Not a happy place to work
Corporate Services Operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, onAugust 24, 2014
Management allow the Leads to be rude and disrespectful to the agents. Favoritism is show to people of their own decent, also with them moving back to the USA they clearly do not care about work life balance. I have worked 16hrs straight without even a thank you. If you are looking for a safe place to work do not go here.
Pros
free parking
Cons
long hour, rude management, old computers etc
job relocated to India regardless their quality is not compatible to the local ones.
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Unfortunately, most of the jobs in New Accounts Department are relocated to India regardless their quality is not compatible to the local ones.
helping customers with their credit card inquiries
Sales and Customer service (Former Employee) –  Markham onSeptember 9, 2014
A call centre environment with irate, unintelligent and rude customers calling everyday with not a second to breathe between calls for 8 hours straight and being underappreciated and underpaid
Pros
good health and dental benefits package
Cons
terrible pay 2001 $13/hr downsized 2014 less than $20/hr plus long hours
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 10, 2013
Learned many techniques about customer inquires and problem solving. Company's culture and benefits were the great. Management was not very strong in terms of taking immediate decisions.
Goals driven environment with 100% diversity in staffing. Customer experience and sales expectations imperative
Call Centre Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Markham, OntSeptember 17, 2014
I was able to use my extensive knowledge to build teams, coached, trained and developed staff members, solve customer service and staff issues in a positive successful manner. I developed new processes to use as a guide for the Future Leader process and I maintained a positive outlook to all concerns, monthly changes in direction and an overall 'will to win' mentality.

Working with others and 'leading by example' has always been a personal asset that I have and it my greatest motivation to achieve and exceed goals and see individuals reach their potential.
Pros
job satisfaction, bonus system and working with great individuals
Cons
can't say that i would have any cons as 'long hours' eventually lead to job satisfaction, my number one motivator!
Awesome worklife balance and great flexibility. Amazing benefits and a fun place to work.
Manager, Customer Service and Relationship Care (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario, CanadaNovember 19, 2013
• A typical day consisted of working with team of highly motivated customer service focused employees. Sometimes, working with SME's to ensure employees transition back into some of their roles seamlessly when necessary. Sometimes training employees to deliver optimum service.

I motivated, coached and inspire employees into delivering the best service possible while keeping them focused and engaged. It was important for me to create goals and development plans and guided my direct reports in acquiring the roles they set out for themselves in a timely manner.

• Most enjoyable part of my job was always working with my team and celebrating their successes. As a company we would engage in an annual Diversity Day celebration where diverse culture would showcase their national heritage and arts. It was such a wonderful feeling to be a part of such a Multicultural such organization that cared about their employees and demonstrated it with such pride.

It was great to have worked for The World Most Respected Service Brand! AMERICAN EXPRESS INC.,
Pros
great pay, awesome benefits and honestly the best company ive ever worked for
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee) –  PhoenixMay 15, 2014
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
Pros
culture, growth opportunity
4 overall rating out of 5
Senior IT Manager/Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 4, 2015
good place to work, culture is moving to an agile development style. Brand new state of the art building with on-site Tim Horton's and has a great gym with a pool
typical call centre work w/ pre-set goals to be achieved
Bi-Lingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 11, 2014
I enjoyed achieving and surpassing sales goals. Management was appreciative of the results.
Pros
possibility of advancement in long term
Cons
relatively low income

4.2