American Express Employee Reviews

Great work life balance
Credit Analyst/Authorization (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 March 2016
Great benefits working for this company, management team very open and transparent. Lots of team functions, great benefits and pay.
Focus on leadership and employee development
Vice President, Marketing (Former Employee) –  Focus on leadership and employee development10 November 2015
Great firm to work for - good work-life balance. Ability to transition from one discipline to another. Employee development is a priority - good and fair review process and upward feedback
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Bureaucratic - not invested deeply enough in innovation
Profit Center Knowledge
Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON23 September 2015
This role provided an excellent opportunity to learn more about the profit center of a business. Additionally, it allowed for an expansion of my network by allowing me to work with various different stakeholder teams. I have learned as much as can be offered by the role and would like to leverage my skills within a more strategy based role.
Amex Canada
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON10 February 2016
Best company i have been able to be a part of!
Loved working there every day and the people were incredible.

I would recommend Amex Canada to everyone.
Sales job with lots of independence and responsibility
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa Airport20 July 2015
A typical day at work is using sales tactics to stop people in the Ottawa airport and convince them to use American Express cards. I learned how to talk and deal with many different kinds of people. Management was constantly monitoring our sales and checking to see everything was running smoothly each week. The co-workers were nice people and were team players, which is great for everyone. The hardest part of the job was stopping people in the airport since a low amount of people dislike being confronted by strangers. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to people and the amount of freedom with the job. I love meeting and talking to new people, which allowed the job to be fun.
easy going place
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2016
good employer, and awesome teammates. sales bonus is great! good management, and sometimes high call volume which is good for making sales and earning bonus more money in the bank.
good place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  markham3 May 2015
Talk to about 100 cardmembers a day and resolving the issues brought up or providing information required. Good rapport with co workers and supervisors and a happy place to work in.Always keep in mind the requirements of the company, this will help to keep on top of things. Hardest part is dealing with customers whose issue cannot be resolved due to the companys policies or procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is once you leave for the day you do not have to carry home any work with you
Pros
close to home, fairly good salary and benefits, schedule fits with work life balance
Cons
sometimes difficult to get a good schedule
very friendly and busy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 April 2015
typical day was always receiving or making calls.
I've learned to cancel and receive payments over the phone regarding customer accounts.
management was okay. Sometimes they were there to help and other times they were busy on the phone as well.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful when needed.
the hardest part of the job was calling customers 8am. Sometimes calling for small change like $1.00.
the most enjoyable part of the job was receiving payments and communicating with the customers.
Pros
hour lunches and long breaks
Cons
working till midnight
Good
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2016
Have worked on different challenging tasks on regular basis. It was very good experience working with American Express and JP Morgan chase.
no comment
Senior travel counselor Corporate travel (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2015
work from home , low employee morale , have meant some great people but now being forced to work weekends so work life balance is no longer present
Team leader operations (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON19 October 2014
American Express was a great company to work for. Management is very focused on employee development and consistently work on employee satisfaction.Company had very good work environment. Very focused on bringing the best out of Individual. Ten years working for the same company is a long time, however in ten years learnt different lines of business.
Great Company to work for and made some good friends
Bank Branch Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Excellent Location1 November 2015
Overall American Express is a great Company to work for. Good benefits and fairly decent Salary. Job Security is not very stable.
Great company with flexible schedule, Great work and life balance
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON27 May 2014
Customer-focused and deadline-driven Customer Care Professional with skills in identifying customer needs, resolving customer issues, presenting new products and supporting exceptional customer service. As part of the Amex Call Centre, gained valuable skills in meeting challenging call metrics such as response time, customer satisfaction, limited escalations, and successful call completion rates.
Am Ex: Best company to grow with
Analyst - Network Product Development & Management (Former Employee) –  Phoenix15 May 2014
I can't say enough about the amazing opportunities I've found within American Express. If I didn't have personal circumstances that mean relocation, I would happily spend the next 40 years with the company before drifting into retirement. The entire culture of the company is centered around doing things with the greatest degree of integrity and focusing on the PEOPLE whether those people are members, merchants, or employees. A company anyone would be incredibly lucky to be employed.
Pros
culture, growth opportunity
Great place to work!
High Value Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, Toronto13 April 2014
American Express being one of the world's best known brands is a great place to work. The training they provide and the job culture they promote are one of the best in the business world. You are always taught to be decisive and have an open mind about ways you conduct business with customers.

Also it offers one of the best work environment with a healthy work life balance and plenty of challenges which allows you to thrive and grow.
Pros
Fun challenging environment
Cons
May have to work weekends and holidays
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 January 2014
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina.
Pros
Subsidized Food
Cons
sharing Headsets
quiet room where you can read during lunch
Customer Service Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  markham6 March 2014
Typical day at work is taking 100 calls a day with varying requests and demands from different clients and making an effort to resolve the issues to the satisfaction of the clients, while keeping abreast of the policies and procedures. The best part of the job is talking and having fun with the co-workers and friends, all from various backgrounds and coming together and helping each other out.
Pros
Customer service training
Cons
stress
Great place to work. Abundant in growth opportunities and internal training classes.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON / Phoenix, Arizona19 May 2012
My day was 95% project related. I lead finance inititives that included involvement from different parts of the organization accross the U.S. as well as Canada, England, India and South America. It was generally high stress with aggressive deliverable timelines. I enjoyed the travel and working with many culturals. The most challenging aspect of the job was ensuring all communication was understood, and expectations were met, accross cultures and management groups.
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 July 2012
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there.
Pros
30 days, full benefits
Cons
allot of tests to pass
High Level Customer Service
Dispute Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham30 October 2012
Being able to help consumers resolve conflicts with merchants is very rewarding. I enjoyed training new hires the tasks and processes for the disputes business. The hardest part of the job is dealing with heavy workloads when the department downsized. The most enjoyable part of this job was working on special projects and helping employees when I was an ergonomic captain for the Joint Health and Safety Committee.
Pros
opportunities to learn new skills
Cons
unstable workload

4.2