American Express
1,212 reviews

American Express Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive and fun with free gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: subsidized food
Cons: sharing headsets
A typical day at work was advising current and new customers on products, promotions and billing inquiries.
I learned how to keep my talk time to less the 5 minutes without allowing my customers to feel rushed.
Very big company, but management keeps you feeling important as and individual.
My co-works were helpful and some of the best I met coming into – more... the customer service world so young.
The hardest part of the job was around the time of Hurricane Katrina The most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to be the friendly voice for those who needed to hear it at the time of Hurricane Katrina. – less
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders – more... within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis. – less
Productive and funplace to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 13, 2014
taking calls and assisting card members with their accounts whether it was adding a product or making financial adjustments

management was great as well as my co workers

hardest part of the job was sometimes not being able to follow through with a card members request

enjoyable part was adding a product or upgrading them to a higher card
very stressful place to work
Travel Counselor (Current Employee), CalgaryNovember 19, 2013
This place is not a motivational place to work. Stressfull environment, and not a fun place to be.
Excellent Enviornment
Customer Care Proffesional (CCP) WTS (Former Employee), Markham, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: the people in amex are wonderfull
Cons: worst shifts
I have learned lot of things in American Express. People in american express are great to work with. Excellent bonding with co-workers, peers and customers. I have learned in true meaning how to provide excellent customer service. The hardest part of job was high volume of calls.
Global fast-paced environment
Manager - Global Business Performance (Former Employee), Markham, OntarioOctober 28, 2013
Pros: global exposure
Cons: long hours
Multiitasking, multiple meetings with global teams. Learned to understand business processes globally and how they differed or were the same
Excellent Company
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Hamilton, OnOctober 24, 2013
Wonderful bosses, hard work and great travel perks. Daily operations of large scale call centre.
Company for advancement with good benefits.
Machine/ Print & Billing System Operator (Former Employee), Markham, ONOctober 20, 2013
With fitness club. Nice place to work and people are friendly.
Productive place and great GYM
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Markham, ONOctober 15, 2013
Start my day at 8am with Balancing and reconciliation the accounts for the previous day, lunch time is at 12 and finish my day at 4pm
Cover Letter
QA Analyst (Mobile Testing) (Former Employee), Markham,ONOctober 3, 2013
Over Five years of Software Quality Assurance experience has provided me with a strong understanding of testing various applications on different environments. I have exceptional ability to maintain QA Standards and QA Process at all phases of Project Life Cycle. I have also implemented test and automation strategies, automation architecture and framework – more... using functional decomposition techniques using Mercury Interactive tools like WinRunner, Quick Test Professional, TestDirector and LoadRunner. I am skilled in performing Backend Testing, Data Mapping and Data Integration testing using Data Driven Methods and SQL Query’s. I have an ability to interact with underwriters to understand the Insurance Products and Process. – less
Fun and challenging place to work with great co-workers.
Relationship Care Professional (Current Employee), Markham, ONSeptember 25, 2013
I would start my day at 4:30pm and immediately begin taking calls. I would adhere to my scheduled breaks and end the day at 1:00am. The calls I would service are incoming calls from American Express card holders that reside in the United States of America. I have an extensive knowledge of credit card laws, both in the U.S.A. and in Canada, and I use – more... this knowledge to ensure I provide accurate information to the card members that call for assistance. I have learnt a lot from this position and have been able to use it within the company and provide fellow Customer Care Professionals with accurate information with my time spent assisting our Supervisor Team. During this time, I would log in and be there primarily to assist other Professionals if they needed the assistance, and I would also take escalated calls. I appreciated that this job has challenges, some times different challenges every day. Every situation is different and they can not all be handled the same way, which is why I had to use my previous and newly learnt knowledge, and utilize the resources available to me, to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of information. – less
Productive and fun place to work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), MarkhamAugust 29, 2013
It require a lot of attention and skills. Co workers was friendly and helpful. Challenging work atmosphere.
Bad place to be a contractor
E2E Test Manager (Contract) (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 29, 2013
Pros: nothing of consequence
Cons: us.vs.them attitude to contractors
The only reason contractors at American Express are treated as second-class citizens is that they don't have a third class. Little to no management support: new employees / contractors must stumble around to find the resources they need.
Corporate Cog
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 29, 2013
Politics rampant, fake culture, definitely a testing ground if you want to see if Corporate life is for you.
Work life balance
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 12, 2013
Work life balance is good and it is a good place to work at. Enjoyed every moment and learned a lot.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee), Markham, ONAugust 10, 2013
Learned many techniques about customer inquires and problem solving. Company's culture and benefits were the great. Management was not very strong in terms of taking immediate decisions.
Productive and fun work place
CREDIT ANALYST (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 10, 2013
Pros: flexibility with the schedule
Cons: have to work all weekends
Working at American Express had been a great experience. I like dealing with different type of clients and how to successfully resolve their issues and support them. Unfortunately, I was hired on a contract basis for a specific campaign, and that campaign ended.
Japanese Travel Councelor
JP (Former Employee), (Not Employee)Toronto ONAugust 9, 2013
I have not worked this company but I would like to write my review for Amex canada.
I applyed this company for a Japanese travel councelor job.
They want to have the people who is really flexible for shifts
included weekend. Also they follow the Japanese Calender it means even you have to work Canadian national holiday.(mightbe christmas too...) You – more... don't have to talk in English but you have to speak polite Japanese.(because their custmers are high status people). The job description is the same as Japanese Amex.

I just feel kind a weird thing that I got rejection emails twice.
I got the first rejection email the next day of interview and the second one was in week later.
I have never got the a rejection letter twice!
Anyway They hire people all year around. if you are interested Japanese society, you can try it. – less
A great place to work with room to advance.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2013
Pros: work-life balance is important to this company and well supported.
Cons: some shift work, but they are quite flexible around trading with co-workers.
Amex is a great place to work, especially for the ambitious employee. They encourage growth from within and provide excellent support to those with ambition. It is very much a team atmosphere and it is a pleasure to come to work every day. The benefits are oustanding as well.
Empowered to develop employee motivational program
U.S. Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2013
I developed and implemented the "Be Real" Program. The program is several workshops and modules that empower employees at work.

About American Express

Each day, American Express makes it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they – Read more

American Express Photos