American Express Employee Reviews in Canada

sales consultant
Senior Travel Councellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 23, 2016
taking calls from corporate clients and arranging travel related services for them.
it was always a challanging job as most corporate travel needs were last minute and had to look at various contracts and details
American Express Summer Intern Program
Summer Contract Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 17, 2016
Extremely educational
Well paced
Well structured
Lots of diverse opportunities
Learn about the business environment
Learn about the differnt fields necessary
Lots of seminars available
Overall amazing working environment
Productive environment with great people
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2012
I truly enjoyed working for American Express. The work load is high, but if you love what you are doing this is the place to be. If you are in software development, you could do most of you work from home. They expect the staff to be in the office between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM. This gives a good work life balance. Once in a while you have to be on implementation calls over night.

The only drawback is their compensation rate and the job security. Their rate is very law and if they don’t have any task for you to do for 40 hours a week for few months, they will let you go. But most people have joined back later when they have the work load.

Overall, I love to work at this place, if income is not an issue.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
very low rate
Flexible working hours and great place to working for womens
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  DelhiApril 7, 2016
Effective Leadership , challenges are taken as opportunities
Integrity is a foundation for leadership
Communicates on continuous and connect the dots
Work Life Balance for working parents
easy going place
customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2016
good employer, and awesome teammates. sales bonus is great! good management, and sometimes high call volume which is good for making sales and earning bonus more money in the bank.
Good pay
CALL CENTRE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2016
okay to work for, wage is higher than most call centres. Training is a bit short for the amount of work needed. Must take good notes in training. Also training class too big to really absorb information.
Old location was huge and free parking was a bonus
Credit Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Overall a pleasant place to work. People are generally friendly and the job is challenging enough. Plenty of opportunity to learn from different departments and gain leadership.
Collecting on Past due account
Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 9, 2016
• Made profitable spending decisions based on risk assessment and card member profile
• Negotiated effectively with customers, discussed alternate payment arrangements and repayment plans for customers in financial difficulties
• Recommended cancellations, or suspended spending privileges where required, and communicated these actions to customers
Upgrading servers and client machines
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2016
We were upgrading client machines and some servers, Deployed windows on the clients, we deployed windows 8. Some servers we had to upgrade from Server 2003 to 2008.
Good work environment
Application Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 15, 2016
1> Managing different people with different cultures.
2> International work experience.
3> Managing challenges in the projects.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Great workplace
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
- A typical day at work?
(answer) Fun, loads of work, always changes within the company and a very great place to be everyday.

-What you learned?
(answer) Time management, being diplomatic, view all angles of a situation, think outside the box, how to deal with angry clients and always listen.

- Management?
(answer) Great people to have as leaders within the company, very motivational an always helps with the next step in your lateral move.

- Your co-workers?
(answer) It is like every company you work for, you have some co-workers that are easy going and some are not.

- The hardest part of the job?
(answer) The hardest part of the job is not getting frustrated with a belligerent customer.

- The most enjoyable part of the job?
(answer) The most enjoyable part, is helping people in a financial crisis.
Pros
great overall benefits, gym facility, great salary, fun environment and great management.
Strict work enviroment
Corporate/Leisure Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 4, 2012
A call center enviroment in the corporate travel industy, clents expect curtious, efficient and prompt service with a smile.

American Express prides themselves on providing that service with Travel Agents who are knowledgable,friendly and driven. Working for this company had taught me a lot about the travel industry. I worked with some great people who's company I really enjoyed. Management were promoted call center agents, so they had a strong understanding of the dynamics of a call center and the clientel we serviced.

Benefits were ok and the wage was below average for the amount of work we did. Hard work was not always identifed and you were always being monitored via call moitory to make certain you were following the protocal.
Pros
fun enviroment with good people
Cons
bad pay and overworked
great company to work for
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 4, 2016
excellent place to work, great work life balance. flexibility to work from home or office, amazing team members and great leadership
American Express
Service Professional American Express Concierge (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJuly 31, 2012
I very much enjoyed the hard work that I put in with this, and in hopes for a career. Turn-Over was high, the training was great I have to admit, long and intence, but I am the type of person who wants to learn and exceed at everything I do. I was able to obtain many certifications and always strived to do better. Hardest part of the job, allot of people did not take it serious, when there was no management around it was like being back in high school. And allot of people did not want to be there.
Pros
30 days, full benefits
Cons
allot of tests to pass
no comment
Senior travel counselor Corporate travel (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 15, 2015
work from home , low employee morale , have meant some great people but now being forced to work weekends so work life balance is no longer present
Best place to work
customer service rep (Former Employee) –  markham onFebruary 26, 2015
Amazing place to work, great benefits package and good bonus plan, feel valued working here. good work life balance and ample vacation days with everythign done to the book. pay is good and the management are really good
Great Place to work
Relationship Care Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Great place to work over the past 15 years. My manager is also my mentor . He has provided guidance and constructive feedback which has allowed me to grow within the company. I have built long lasting relationships with co-workers both here in Canada and also while travelling internationally on a work assignment. I have to admit the most enjoyable part of the job are the people and I always strive to learn something new and welcome change . I view that as another challenge and a great accomplishment once my goal is achieved. Overall this company has allowed me to learn so much about myself and all that I can offer.
A great place to work with room to advance.
Senior Corporate Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 18, 2013
Amex is a great place to work, especially for the ambitious employee. They encourage growth from within and provide excellent support to those with ambition. It is very much a team atmosphere and it is a pleasure to come to work every day. The benefits are oustanding as well.
Pros
work-life balance is important to this company and well supported.
Cons
some shift work, but they are quite flexible around trading with co-workers.
Enjoyed work
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 23, 2013
Everyday I Built a connection with customers and proposed different products and services based on their account history to help minimize their monthly bill and protect their financial credit
Clarified financial charges, account details and benefits to customers
Presented excellent communication & interpersonal skills for exceptional customer care
Helped company attain the highest customer service ratings
Officially commended for initiative, enthusiasm, persuasiveness, intense customer focus and dependability in performance evaluations.
Pros
environment
Cons
nothing
A very professional and friendly fast-paced environment.
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONFebruary 27, 2012
I have worked at American Express for 3.5 years.It was a great experienced though there was no work and life balance.I have benefited from different trainings which helped me to increased my skill base.Overall a very good company for work for except few things.
Pros
cultural diversity, great values and friendly environment
Cons
no work and life balance, low salary and no management`s responsibility

4.2